Christmas is always difficult

proud preston

I still haven't had a merry Christmas message from my father. He wasn't always a miserable old bastard. He was young once. He did send me a message to moan that I'd used all his broadband allowance up when I came to visit. So I can't complain I guess.

Christmas was never much when I was young.

But I try and make it special for my family. The meal is the big thing. Presents not so much now they are older. Quizzes and games all day. Cards in the evening. Continues into boxing day, and again on new year. My wife is really into it, and the kids love it. I hope they continue the traditions when I'm gone. We can but hope.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

But I try and make it special for my family. The meal is the big thing. Presents not so much now they are older. Quizzes and games all day. Cards in the evening. Continues into boxing day, and again on new year. My wife is really into it, and the kids love it. I hope they continue the traditions when I'm gone. We can but hope.

That sounds fab. Can I spend Christmas at your house next year?!

• Like 2

On 28/12/2023 at 17:43, ramot said:

Sending a hug, I don’t think I have had it as hard as you, because everyone did pull their weight this Christmas, but I’m shattered. Definitely think it’s time I retired from Christmas at our house, famous last words.  Family here for 5 days, unexpected bbq for 9 on the 23rd, as a good friend and his family of my son and daughter were  visiting family in the area so were invited here for a bbq. My daughter told me she had asked friends to bring some food with them, whoops she hadn’t. Mad dash to Woolworths for extra, as they arrived. Next an unexpected  guest, SiL’s niece, on C Eve, for a quick meal. 10 people for full UK Christmas lunch on C Day, whoops one doesn’t eat meat, was told beforehand, and yes did bring a salad, but I provided extra, but not sea food as highly allergic. Busy next 2 days and last visitors left this morning. So after tidying up and a hundred loads of washing, yes I’m exaggerating and husband has helped in between watching cricket!, have put my feet up.

Having written all that, I really must count my blessings, I wouldn’t have missed any of it for the world., especially as a friend has just telephoned to suggest lunch out tomorrow, her husband died last year, they didn’t have children, has no siblings or close family, and had to be honest a fairly sad Christmas, so sometimes those of us who do have family to spend Christmas with, sometimes need reminding how lucky we are. 

Son & wife decided to come back today!! Cooler on the coast, and we have a nice pool. I was going out out, told them to help themselves, my fault not to specify as in a hurry to go out, they ate my supper. As I have a very restricted diet, not amused, no wonder I don’t put weight on. Have cobbled something together without cooking.

• Haha 2

I'm in the UK for XMAS this year and can't wait to get back on the plane.

It's wet, cold, depressing and just not as nice as Australia.

I know others say no matter how long they spend in Oz they know they are home when they get back to England, I can see what they mean, I know I'm home I also know that with every fibre in my being I'd rather be elsewhere

Happy New Year all

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I'm in the UK for XMAS this year and can't wait to get back on the plane.

It's wet, cold, depressing and just not as nice as Australia.

I know others say no matter how long they spend in Oz they know they are home when they get back to England, I can see what they mean, I know I'm home I also know that with every fibre in my being I'd rather be elsewhere

Happy New Year all

Spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the local pub, where I was made to feel very welcome and fed with roast potatoes, pigs n blankets and tons of mince pies! Its been super-windy, wet, grey, dull but its been my first UK Christmas in 20 years and it just felt right. Soooo much more "right" than nasty hot humid days and steamy thundery downpours.

Give me the British version any day!!

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

This year I tried home made games that I had seen online and they were a big hit.  Things like

- taping a large plastic cup to your waist and hanging a ball underneath and thrusting with your waist to get the ball in the cup  2 or more players compete

- using coloured tape to create a large circle on the floor, spread 6 of the large cups out and have the player stack them in a pyramid whilst keeping a balloon up in the air.  Balloon can’t touch the ground and your body can’t go out of the circle.  players compete against the clock

- use a balloon to move cups from one place to another using only your mouth (blow up the balloon in the cup to grab and let air out to release). If cups fall over move them back.  Two players compete. 

- tape out a 9 box grid and use kids ball pit balls (2 colours) to play 3 in a row (noughts and crosses).  Players play in a team and have to run from the balls to the grid (it’s better if they can’t see the grid clearly from the balls). 

there are loads others but these went over well. Lots and lots of laughing. 

• Like 1