Return to Oz after 10 years

Sea breeze

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

We're fortunate in Melbourne that most GPs offer bulk billing or reduced rates for seniors

Is that with a seniors card or a concession card? or just because a patient is over a certain age? It only seems to apply to a concession card holder here. eg ia state pension 

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Is that with a seniors card or a concession card? or just because a patient is over a certain age? It only seems to apply to a concession card holder here. eg ia state pension 

Over a certain age.  Other medical professions e.g. physiotherapists seem to require the pension card though.

11 hours ago, Toots said:

I think migrants from the UK have to remember this is not the UK with the NHS.  It's a different country and things are done differently here.  It's not much use comparing the two,  

I would guess a lot of people compare Australia with where ever they come from.

Lots of people join poms in oz for information, even down to their favorite variety of potato chip. It's a comparison, what do you prefer Twisties or Wotsits?😁 Twisties win it for me, but neither are good for you.

Ive lived in a few places and one of the things that really upsets me is the lack of or restrictive healthcare. I personally believe that healthcare should be free to all. I think it is a basic human right to free healthcare. After all, why pay your taxes if you don't get something back from it.

Charging people for an ambulance and then what ever they do in the ambulance is added onto the bill, is wrong in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.

I am clumsy though! Always breaking bones, getting cuts and what not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Not necessarily. My GP Centre bulk bills everyone. doesn't matter what age you are.

They do charge on weekends and public holidays though.

• Like 2

Lots of things are basic human rights, education, having a roof over your head, clean running water, access to gas and electricity. food when you need it.

It would be wonderful if the government paid for everyones human rights . Then we could not work at all.

7 minutes ago, pob said:

Lots of people join poms in oz for information, even down to their favorite variety of potato chip. It's a comparison, what do you prefer Twisties or Wotsits?😁 Twisties win it for me, but neither are good for you.

Ive lived in a few places and one of the things that really upsets me is the lack of or restrictive healthcare. I personally believe that healthcare should be free to all. I think it is a basic human right to free healthcare. After all, why pay your taxes if you don't get something back from it.

Charging people for an ambulance and then what ever they do in the ambulance is added onto the bill, is wrong in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.

I think the issues you have come across must be area specific.

I cannot really fault the Healthcare in QLD, both public and private. There is no charge here in QLD for Ambulances. Dr appointments cost around $86 then you get the Medicare rebate so ends up cosring you very little. I have noticed over the last few years when you ring the DR its normally a day or two before you can get an appointment (unless its an emergancy) compared to years ago when you could get in on the same day. .

The public hospitals i have been in both as patient and vistor have been clean and the staff great, same for Private.

Cal x

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pob said:

In an ideal world healthcare would be free for everyone - I agree with you there.

I've never broken a bone (touch wood) but due to an inherited heart problem I do have to attend hospital now and again to keep an eye on things.  Can't fault the care I've been given and ambulances are free here in Tassie - not that I've ever needed one.

Hope you wife is back to good health now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I cannot really fault the Healthcare in QLD, both public and private. There is no charge here in QLD for Ambulances. Dr appointments cost around $86 then you get the Medicare rebate so ends up cosring you very little. I have noticed over the last few years when you ring the DR its normally a day or two before you can get an appointment (unless its an emergancy) compared to years ago when you could get in on the same day. .

The public hospitals i have been in both as patient and vistor have been clean and the staff great, same for Private.

Cal x

I think the healthcare issue is the same in both countries - some places are better than others. 

I had some great GPs in the UK and a couple of waste-of-time ones. Good service in public hospitals both here and in Aus. My opinion of GPs in Aus is not very high though, as the one I had dealings with badly breached every rule in the book by freely discussing my medical history with my boss (who was looking for excuses to sack me) - without my permission, in fact without even asking me. Rather made me avoid GPs after that.

What did concern me in Brisbane was that I did know of families who would not go to a GP because they couldn't afford to, and because they knew they couldn't afford the cost of tests etc which would likely follow a visit. Not so much in the early years but certainly since about 2018, when bulk billing GPs became rarer than hens teeth.

8 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

What did concern me in Brisbane was that I did know of families who would not go to a GP because they couldn't afford to, and because they knew they couldn't afford the cost of tests etc which would likely follow a visit. Not so much in the early years but certainly since about 2018, when bulk billing GPs became rarer than hens teeth.

Not quite sure what tests you mean they pay for?    for 15 years i have regually undergone tests here, be it, Blood tests, Scans, Endoscospys, biopsys etc and most of these are repeated every few months. I have never yet had to pay. I have appointments with the specilast in person and via tele health and it doesnt cost anything. 

Of course if you opt to use the private system you will pay. (Hubby did this for a procedure last year )

Cal x

P.S... The Dr's and care recieved in the UK prior to moving here were also excellent and i have no complaints there.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I think the healthcare issue is the same in both countries - some places are better than others. 

I had some great GPs in the UK and a couple of waste-of-time ones. Good service in public hospitals both here and in Aus. My opinion of GPs in Aus is not very high though, as the one I had dealings with badly breached every rule in the book by freely discussing my medical history with my boss (who was looking for excuses to sack me) - without my permission, in fact without even asking me. Rather made me avoid GPs after that.

Your GP sounds like a shocker and anyway isn't it against the hippocratic oath to divulge a patient's health care to anyone? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

I use family Dr to book an appointment at my Dr surgery, much easier than ringing the surgery, if it’s on that system, a list of appointment times available show up and you book. It’s a really good system 

1 hour ago, pob said:

Of course, that's inevitable when people first migrate. Why would you not compare?    Over time, you either discover that it's swings and roundabouts, and that some comparisons favour your home country and some favour Australia - in which case you settle down.  Or, you keep on comparing and lamenting the things you miss, and that's a big sign that you are never going to settle and you'd be better off going home.

However I think it's worth mentioning that where you live in each country can make a huge difference to your experience.  For instance, I lived in Sydney for over 30 years and loved it -- but when we struck financial trouble, we moved to Melbourne rather than move to the far Western suburbs of Sydney, where I wouldn't live if you paid me.  Another example, when we went back to the UK, we were in Southampton and spent a lot of time in Aberdeen.  I found people far, far more insular than people in Sydney.   I found the medical care in Southampton far worse than in my area of Sydney.  And so on.

• Like 1

The problem with the UK is that a lot of people go and see their GP because they are old and lonely. This means that the GPs are rushing through the time wasters and they often miss people who are really sick. Same as you get people in the UK calling the ambulance because they have run out of coffee or nappies or whatever.

People tend not to do this when it costs them money, as in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Blue Manna said:

The problem with the UK is that a lot of people go and see their GP because they are old and lonely. This means that the GPs are rushing through the time wasters and they often miss people who are really sick. Same as you get people in the UK calling the ambulance because they have run out of coffee or nappies or whatever.

People tend not to do this when it costs them money, as in Australia.

Yes, I used to be like @pob and think healthcare should be completely free.  But when we were in Southampton, we both struggled to see a doctor at all, because they were so booked up all the time.    I did get to see a nurse a few times and during the long wait in the waiting room, I was surprised at how many no-shows there were.  Because appointments cost nothing, people wouldn't turn up if they felt better, and didn't bother to cancel.

Same with medications.  Both my sisters (in Scotland) are on regular medication.   They get their prescriptions filled every month, even if they haven't used last month's supply, because it's free. Result -- they both have drawers full of surplus medication.  

I'm still horrified at the awful private system in the US, but I do now see the value of being asked to make a modest payment for medical services, (with a safety net for those who can't afford it, of course).  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Toots I'm in Sydney NSW.

From what I hear everything sounds quite nice in Tasmania. I should go out of my way to visit one day!

@Marisawright We used to live in America. The healthcare system is quite disgusting! Everything is clean and nice and the care is very good. But people die due to lack of healthcare.

Did you ever go into Wallmart? They usually have a greeter, a older person smiling and saying hello, lots of amusing badges on their waistcoat. I always wondered why you would have that job in your 80's? They have the job so they can get part of their healthcare/copay paid for.

Being a surly kind of person I usually nodded or grunted hello and went about my business in the store, but after finding out why they have that job, I always smile and greet them  nicely, pay them a compliment, try and make their day a little easier.

The best place I had healthcare was the Netherlands, I paid my ZAO fee every month and everything was free after that. Fantastic hospitals and doctors. I have nothing bad to say about their system. But I am sure it is better somewhere else, but that is the best I have seen and used.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, pob said:

@Toots I'm in Sydney NSW.

From what I hear everything sounds quite nice in Tasmania. I should go out of my way to visit one day!

@Marisawright We used to live in America. The healthcare system is quite disgusting! Everything is clean and nice and the care is very good. But people die due to lack of healthcare.

Did you ever go into Wallmart? They usually have a greeter, a older person smiling and saying hello, lots of amusing badges on their waistcoat. I always wondered why you would have that job in your 80's? They have the job so they can get part of their healthcare/copay paid for.

Being a surly kind of person I usually nodded or grunted hello and went about my business in the store, but after finding out why they have that job, I always smile and greet them  nicely, pay them a compliment, try and make their day a little easier.

The best place I had healthcare was the Netherlands, I paid my ZAO fee every month and everything was free after that. Fantastic hospitals and doctors. I have nothing bad to say about their system. But I am sure it is better somewhere else, but that is the best I have seen and used.

I'm happy to say the years I worked in Europe and the USA I never had to see a doctor or go to a hospital.  I was hoping I would be like my Mum who never had to go to hospital in her life even to have her babies.  The only time she was in hospital was for the 5 days before the end of her life.  Unfortunately I didn't inherit her robust good health but even so I reckon I'm still pretty healthy for an old dame.  I'm glad I don't have to work in a Walmart type of place to pay for healthcare as you have described.

After living in Sydney for years and years, living in Tasmania is like going back in time which suits me just fine.  😀

• Like 3

On 04/11/2023 at 15:03, pob said:

I lived in Cornwall 20 years ago,  Newquay, St Austell.

Don't suppose you know a guy called Jason Lockett do you? Into his music.

Summer is horrible full of tourists, but as soon as the kids go back to school and it is great. I would even enjoy the bad weather, I used to head to a pub called the walkabout and watch the storms through their big glass windows. You would feel the whole building shake!!!

We lived in Australia ten years ago and returned a year ago.

It's changed so much over the past ten years. I also have changed so much over the past ten years.

It was always insular, now more so. There is a lack of foreign goods here. I'm not talking about mushy peas or prawn cocktail crisps, you can still get those if that's what floats your boat 🤢.

It's other stuff like Quality Italian olive oil, I went to grab a bottle of Evian from the supermarket and only then realized hat there was only Australian water, the list goes on. The quality of day to day food items seems to have dropped.

The Australians as a nation seem to be more nationalistic, there seems to be less foreign goods. We have been told that when covid hit this happened and it has stayed that way.

My wife got sick and I saw how the healthcare system worked. It was then we realised that Australia as a country would fail us if we ever got sick here.

When opportunity arises, we will leave. Would you like to swap places?

No idea where you live but all those things are readily available everywhere here.  I’ve been ill and the healthcare has been amazing and I don’t have private cover.  Don’t think every state/territory is the same as they most certainly aren’t! 

Edited by Bulya
Typo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Toots said:

living in Tasmania is like going back in time which suits me just fine.  😀

That is the kind of place I like to visit!

I know it would not work for their tourist board, but that makes me want to go there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, I used to be like @pob and think healthcare should be completely free.  But when we were in Southampton, we both struggled to see a doctor at all, because they were so booked up all the time.    I did get to see a nurse a few times and during the long wait in the waiting room, I was surprised at how many no-shows there were.  Because appointments cost nothing, people wouldn't turn up if they felt better, and didn't bother to cancel.

Same with medications.  Both my sisters (in Scotland) are on regular medication.   They get their prescriptions filled every month, even if they haven't used last month's supply, because it's free. Result -- they both have drawers full of surplus medication.  

I'm still horrified at the awful private system in the US, but I do now see the value of being asked to make a modest payment for medical services, (with a safety net for those who can't afford it, of course).  

The future of the NHS. People will need to start contributing.

Edited by Blue Manna
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bulya said:

No idea where you live but all those things are readily available everywhere here.  I’ve been ill and the healthcare has been amazing and I don’t have private cover.  Don’t think every state/territory is the same as they most certainly aren’t! 

Where are u in Oz ? 
Thank u 

15 hours ago, Toots said:

Your GP sounds like a shocker and anyway isn't it against the hippocratic oath to divulge a patient's health care to anyone? 

It certainly is, and I was absolutely livid.  My manager told me he had phoned the GP, told her that I was OK with discussing my medical condition, and then on the strength of that she went ahead and had said discussion. Had I been more mentally with-it and less depressed at the time I probably would have made an official complaint but he had already ground me down too far to even consider it. Left me with a very bad view of the Aussie public health system, I know its wrong to judge on the basis of one event but.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I’m sure people wouldn’t mind so much if they weren’t already getting hit with the double whammy of highest-ever taxes and declining services. Pay more, get less left right and centre. 

Contrasting Australia and U.K. highlights the root cause of the problem and shows why it’s not going to be something that can be turned around quickly.  

Australia annual cost of servicing national debt = $17.7 bn or 2.6% of total government revenue 

UK = £117bn or 10.4%

Many people visiting this site are trying to weigh up if their future will be better in Australia or the U.K.  We dont have a crystal ball to know the answer but as an indicator of what we can expect in the future, these are two very telling data points. 

• Like 2

I think the rules are different if you are required to see a GP required by your employer.

If you are claiming long term stress leave or something similar and your employer wants verification from a doctor they use, then that can happen. I expect you signed something at the time.