Return to Oz after 10 years

Sea breeze

1 minute ago, InnerVoice said:

To be fair, I recall plenty of 'twonks' at the opposite end of the political spectrum who've played their part in ruining the country over the years.

In an ideal world we'd vote for MPs based on them representing our interests and their party's policies, but UK elections have become more like America in recent years - a popularity contest between the leaders. The Conservatives won the last election by default. People became frustrated by how the opposition parties had continually blocked the Brexit bill, and how much times that was wasting in the Commons. Hardly anything else had been discussed for 3 years. No one trusted Corbyn either because he represented Old Labour in most people's eyes, and a resurgence of the looney left - not to mention his former connections with various terrorist organisations.

Oh heavens, yes.  After all, it was Tony boy and his crew who bled the coffers dry over 13 years with public private partnerships bloating up beyond all belief and wasting money on projects that you look back on now and just think: The Hell!?

As for Corbyn, least said soonest mended.  It always irked me that the man who had voted against his own party over 500 times over his career went so full tilt with applying three line whips to his party.  As for him sitting on the fence over leave or remain for Brexit, he was on there so long, I dare wonder whether one of the pickets did him an injustice.  Not to mention, he's a man who makes jam for a hobby: and he doesn't even _like_ jam.

They're all as bad as one another.  My point was simply on the fact that the official line is that you vote for your MP, rather than any given party.  Just sad that it would appear to be a minority of the British population who know that to begin with.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Oh heavens, yes.  After all, it was Tony boy and his crew who bled the coffers dry over 13 years with public private partnerships bloating up beyond all belief and wasting money on projects that you look back on now and just think: The Hell!?

As for Corbyn, least said soonest mended.  It always irked me that the man who had voted against his own party over 500 times over his career went so full tilt with applying three line whips to his party.  As for him sitting on the fence over leave or remain for Brexit, he was on there so long, I dare wonder whether one of the pickets did him an injustice.  Not to mention, he's a man who makes jam for a hobby: and he doesn't even _like_ jam.

They're all as bad as one another.  My point was simply on the fact that the official line is that you vote for your MP, rather than any given party.  Just sad that it would appear to be a minority of the British population who know that to begin with.  

Not to mention his penchant for photographing manhole covers! 😂

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-corbyn-admirers-of-drains-and-manhole-covers-find-a-hero-in-the-labour-leader-a6668401.html

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Now, play fair.  The rules officially say that constituents vote for their MP: by that token, it shouldn't even *really* be about the party, but rather your MP's representation of your interests in the Commons.

I'm all for just sitting back and watching the UK continue to fade away into insignificance and oblivion through the sheer stupidity of the populist twonks who read the Daily Mail, but let's at least get the technicalities of how the electoral process is intended to run correct, shall we?

Why when the technicalities bear no relationship to the reality? People vote depending on who the leader is, and to some extent who would make up the cabinet. Most voters aren't aware of who their MP is.