REPATRIATION FLIGHT

Captain Ron

Screenshot of the relevant page of the e-ticket below.

Also states:

Dimensions:

International Flights (excluding North and South America):

Total dimensions for each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

International Flights to and from North & South America:

Total dimensions of the 3 pieces must not exceed 405cm (159in) and total dimensions of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no single piece exceeding 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

Domestic Flights:

Total dimensions of each piece must not exceed 140cm (55in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

+Adults travelling with an infant (under 2 years) on Qantas operated services may check-in up to three infant items free of charge. See here for more details. (Links goes to https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/baggage.html?ext_cam=au:acc:etr:carry_on)

If in Howard Springs you can receive deliveries from Coles/IGA so nappies shouldn't be an issue. 

Re: food on the flight. We were given a hot lunch and a bag of snacks. Was reasonable. Can ask for more water as needed. You can take packed snacks onto the plane like usual. No liquids in cabin over ?100ml through security (as usual). Once through security you can buy whatever you want from the available shops - WHSmiths, Pret, etc. We tooks some snacks and sandwiches on board. It's a long flight and there's a delay disembarking too (an hour or two depending on where you're sitting). 

In flight entertainment seemed as usual so kids were occupied. 

Adult fare £1,165; child £846. Required Covid tests included in price. 

IMG_20210820_070436.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maussie said:

Screenshot of the relevant page of the e-ticket below.

Also states:

Dimensions:

International Flights (excluding North and South America):

Total dimensions for each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

International Flights to and from North & South America:

Total dimensions of the 3 pieces must not exceed 405cm (159in) and total dimensions of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no single piece exceeding 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

Domestic Flights:

Total dimensions of each piece must not exceed 140cm (55in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

+Adults travelling with an infant (under 2 years) on Qantas operated services may check-in up to three infant items free of charge. See here for more details. (Links goes to https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/baggage.html?ext_cam=au:acc:etr:carry_on)

If in Howard Springs you can receive deliveries from Coles/IGA so nappies shouldn't be an issue. 

Re: food on the flight. We were given a hot lunch and a bag of snacks. Was reasonable. Can ask for more water as needed. You can take packed snacks onto the plane like usual. No liquids in cabin over ?100ml through security (as usual). Once through security you can buy whatever you want from the available shops - WHSmiths, Pret, etc. We tooks some snacks and sandwiches on board. It's a long flight and there's a delay disembarking too (an hour or two depending on where you're sitting). 

In flight entertainment seemed as usual so kids were occupied. 

Adult fare £1,165; child £846. Required Covid tests included in price. 

IMG_20210820_070436.jpg

Thank you for this. Did your ticket have a QF flight number on it? Just wondering if the children's baggage allowance detailed there is applicable for the dfat flights or not. Did you travel with young children? 

Useful to know children's tickets are cheaper!

On 19/08/2021 at 23:09, Jon the Hat said:

and hold baggage 30 kg and one piece per person.  No additional allowance for Premium economy or Business either.  nuts.

It's about keeping the costs down. The lighter the plane the less fuel it consumes.

On 20/08/2021 at 06:57, bicek said:

I thought people couldn't bring food/drink onto planes these days? Have they scrapped this rule?!

This is usually a rule for budget airlines. They want to force you to buy (at an inflated cost) their food and drink onboard.

Edited by JetBlast

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

It's about keeping the costs down. The lighter the plane the less fuel it consumes.

This is usually a rule for budget airlines. They want to force you to buy (at an inflated cost) their food and drink onboard.

There was a restriction on carrying liquids as they were a risk for terrorism. This may have been relaxed now though.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

There was a restriction on carrying liquids as they were a risk for terrorism. This may have been relaxed now though.

Still is, AFAIK.  However in most airports, you can buy drinks AFTER you have gone through security, and then you can take it on board.  The only exception I know of is some of the Middle East airports, where even if it's bought in the airport, they won't let you take it on board. 

Edited by Marisawright

On 19/08/2021 at 11:39, Captain Ron said:

Hi Jon, hope you get to see this.  I have another question:  Are the flight prices cheaper for children or is it a standard price across the board?  And lastly, how soon after you registered did you received any feedback from DFAT?

Thank you!

Hi - yes cheaper for under 12s but not sure how much cheaper.  You should get an registration email / confirmation every time you make a change.  You won’t get an email with code until they release new flights I don’t think.

• Like 1

An important note for anyone flying into Brisbane - Qld changed its rules very quietly today. Quarantine will be effectively 17 days. You have to stay home until you get the 16/17 day test. No work, no going out for supplies

- Introduce the requirement for a person leaving hotel quarantine in Queensland to undertake a COVID-19 test 2 or 3 days after leaving hotel quarantine (day 16/17 testing) and to restrict their movements until they receive a negative result from that test. This new requirement will be mandatory from 7 September 2021.
- Introduce a requirement for a person who has completed hotel quarantine in another State or Territory that is a COVID-19 hotspot who transits directly to Queensland to undertake a COVID-19 test on day 16/17.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 12:48, Parley said:

That’s usually applies before you go through security. Usually you can take liquids onboard that had been purchased in the terminal after security.

Food is usually fine. Full service carriers don’t have issues bringing your own snacks etc. But there are issues brining them into Australia. 

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 05:56, JetBlast said:

That’s usually applies before you go through security. Usually you can take liquids onboard that had been purchased in the terminal after security.

Food is usually fine. Full service carriers don’t have issues bringing your own snacks etc. But there are issues brining them into Australia. 

I've looked pretty closely at the import rules for food in the past couple of weeks - pretty much you can bring processed sealed snacks in, but nothing dairy or fresh fruit / veg etc.  And declare anyway so you can show it to the border people to avoid any risk of error.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I've looked pretty closely at the import rules for food in the past couple of weeks - pretty much you can bring processed sealed snacks in, but nothing dairy or fresh fruit / veg etc.  And declare anyway so you can show it to the border people to avoid any risk of error.

That sounds right.

Personally, to make life easier and to get through quickly, I don't bring any food across the border.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thats about right. No fresh food - fruit/veg/meat/fish; no dairy stuff, no nuts or seeds.

Crisps, sweets, sealed packets of biscuits, all good.

Good plan is to make a list of what you have then you can show it to the customs guys - tht way you won't forget anything.  Back in the good old days, flying into Brisbane it was always a good idea to declare something, people used to bring a packet of polos or something, as the Red/Declare line was always shorter, and when they saw what the food was you'd get waved through really fast!

Edited by Nemesis
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetBlast said:

That sounds right.

Personally, to make life easier and to get through quickly, I don't bring any food across the border.

Normally I wouldn't either, but it can be several hours from the plane to getting into your room in Quarantine without any drinks or snacks for the kids.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Still no news on the DFAT London-Brisbane for September.  Frankfurt ones sold out in half an hour this morning.  

We ended up booking another flight to Australia in January next year. We still have our November flight this year and hoping that one goes ahead. 

People sound super desperate to get home so I would rather they get the seats with DFAT and also the chances of 5 of us getting on the DFAT flight are slim to nothing in the next couple of months so I'm not going to try  🙂

If I remember correctly you are due to fly soon?  No cancellation on your September flight I hope? 

Fingers crossed you get lucky with DFAT as your back up plan but ultimately hope you get your Singapore flight!

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

We ended up booking another flight to Australia in January next year. We still have our November flight this year and hoping that one goes ahead. 

People sound super desperate to get home so I would rather they get the seats with DFAT and also the chances of 5 of us getting on the DFAT flight are slim to nothing in the next couple of months so I'm not going to try  🙂

If I remember correctly you are due to fly soon?  No cancellation on your September flight I hope? 

Fingers crossed you get lucky with DFAT as your back up plan but ultimately hope you get your Singapore flight!

15th September.  Not cancelled yet no, but I can't take the risk with no jobs, house or schools from the 10th...  Fingers crossed it comes tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

15th September.  Not cancelled yet no, but I can't take the risk with no jobs, house or schools from the 10th...  Fingers crossed it comes tomorrow.

A friend just made it back to perth last Friday.  Her flight was moved back three days, but otherwise no problems.  Flew business class through Singapore.  I’d still take the DFAT option though if you can get it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Didn't realise no job to go to so that is stressful! Not long to go till you fly, fingers crossed for you!!!!

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Didn't realise no job to go to so that is stressful! Not long to go till you fly, fingers crossed for you!!!!

I'm not that worried about a job once we are in, more being stuck in the UK without one burning money!  I had a 3 month notice period, so resigned from my job before the caps were halved and the stress doubled.

Edited by Jon the Hat

44 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Not an ideal situation having to remain in the UK when we have things that need sorting too like jobs, schools, homes etc!! 

I think you will be okay and get your flight! 🙂

I hope so - just paid for the removals!!  and got permission to bring the car with IronLady.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1