REPATRIATION FLIGHT

Captain Ron

We (2 adults, 3 kids) have a flight booked with Singapore airlines for the 4th of November.  We have spoken to them and as it stands they are not cancelling that flight.  Due to the situation in Australia currently and the low caps on flights as it stands, we are considering the repatriation flight as a Plan B, but we know very little about it.  So i am reaching out to anyone that has the knowledge / who has done the repat flight and can please share any information with us.

I have many questions:

1) How long does it take to get an approval code

2)  How easy is it to get flights once released

3)  How regularly do the flights run

4)  How much do the flights cost more or less

5)  Do they only fly to Darwin

6)  Are there any complications when connecting to an onward destination from Darwin

7)  how often are flights released 

😎 how does it affect quarantine when you leave Darwin and enter Melbourne (for e.g)

9) Do approval flight codes expire?

Thank you 

50 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We (2 adults, 3 kids) have a flight booked with Singapore airlines for the 4th of November.  We have spoken to them and as it stands they are not cancelling that flight.  Due to the situation in Australia currently and the low caps on flights as it stands, we are considering the repatriation flight as a Plan B, but we know very little about it.  So i am reaching out to anyone that has the knowledge / who has done the repat flight and can please share any information with us.

I have many questions:

1) How long does it take to get an approval code

2)  How easy is it to get flights once released

3)  How regularly do the flights run

4)  How much do the flights cost more or less

5)  Do they only fly to Darwin

6)  Are there any complications when connecting to an onward destination from Darwin

7)  how often are flights released 

😎 how does it affect quarantine when you leave Darwin and enter Melbourne (for e.g)

9) Do approval flight codes expire?

Assuming you are in the UK Ron...

1) Register each of your family members and provide in the comments section at the bottom of each persons form, details of why you should have a flight - no job, no accommodation etc.   You should them in the period you nominate (ie Q4 2021) get every email they send re flights from the UK.  This includes a code for the flights in that email ONLY.

2) There is quite a lot of demand - August UK flights sold our in about an hour I think, with economy in half that.  However people so cancel and if you keep checking back it is possible to get flights.  If you get to a position of being close to homeless etc, you can email the conulate and ask to be prioritise and they will if they can help.

3) There were 6 UK to Darwin flights in August, however it depends on demand.  I expect demand to be high still so should be multiple flights into November.

4) £1165 per adult economy, about £2k premium economy and £4k business class.

5) Yes

6) No - you will get a code to book in internal flight with Qantas as a 50% discount and with international baggage allowance. 

7) Monthly - last month was the 19th July for August, so register NOW!!

😎 They help you get to your flight safely so you don#t have to Quarantine again.

9) Yes, they only apply for the flights (month) in the email, eg My July code didn't work for August.

Keep updating your details in the DFAT form to stay on the list/ priority!

Good luck!

• Like 1

The email looks like this!

OFFICIAL

Good morning,

You are receiving this email as you have registered with DFAT as wishing to return to Australia.

There are currently seats available on a facilitated commercial flight departing London on 1, 3, 11, 19, 21 and 29 August 2021.

If you are wishing to return to Australia you should seriously consider this opportunity.

Conditions

To be eligible to book these flights you must meet the following conditions:

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=4

I am an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or I am a family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident who holds a valid visa and exemption.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=5

I am able to meet any UK transit requirements.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=6

I willing to follow Qantas’ COVID 19 testing requirements at a Qantas designated clinic.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=7

Children travelling under the age of 18 are accompanied by either a parent, guardian or adult family member, who holds a valid visa and exemption.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=8

I have the funds to purchase a ticket with Qantas (starting at $2,151 AUD per ticket, including departure taxes).

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=9

I am liable for the costs of NT quarantine, commercial accommodation if necessary and onward flights from Darwin.

What's different about these flights?

These flights are being operated for repatriation purposes and services on these flights will be significantly reduced, including the following:

• Limited onboard food and beverage service. 
  • Inflight entertainment will be unavailable.
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer benefits (Status Credits, Qantas Points, and the option to upgrade with points) will not apply. 
  • Seat selection is unavailable.

Bookings

Bookings can be made directly through Qantas using the following link – please note you must make immediate payment to secure your ticket/s:

Government facilitated special commercial flight | Qantas

You must include DFAT approval code, XXXXXXXXXX in the first screen to successfully complete your booking.

If all tickets sell out, an error message will display on the Qantas website.  We encourage you to regularly monitor the Qantas website as tickets may become available due to cancellations.

Bookings made by anyone who did not receive this link from DFAT may be cancelled.  Bookings made by anyone who departed Australia less than three months ago under an exemption may be cancelled.

Kind regards

Consular Team

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3

Consular Operations Branch

Consular and Crisis Management Division

www.dfat.gov.au

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The email looks like this!

OFFICIAL

Good morning,

You are receiving this email as you have registered with DFAT as wishing to return to Australia.

There are currently seats available on a facilitated commercial flight departing London on 1, 3, 11, 19, 21 and 29 August 2021.

If you are wishing to return to Australia you should seriously consider this opportunity.

Conditions

To be eligible to book these flights you must meet the following conditions:

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=4

I am an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or I am a family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident who holds a valid visa and exemption.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=5

I am able to meet any UK transit requirements.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=6

I willing to follow Qantas’ COVID 19 testing requirements at a Qantas designated clinic.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=7

Children travelling under the age of 18 are accompanied by either a parent, guardian or adult family member, who holds a valid visa and exemption.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=8

I have the funds to purchase a ticket with Qantas (starting at $2,151 AUD per ticket, including departure taxes).

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=9

I am liable for the costs of NT quarantine, commercial accommodation if necessary and onward flights from Darwin.

What's different about these flights?

These flights are being operated for repatriation purposes and services on these flights will be significantly reduced, including the following:

• Limited onboard food and beverage service. 
  • Inflight entertainment will be unavailable.
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer benefits (Status Credits, Qantas Points, and the option to upgrade with points) will not apply. 
  • Seat selection is unavailable.

Bookings

Bookings can be made directly through Qantas using the following link – please note you must make immediate payment to secure your ticket/s:

Government facilitated special commercial flight | Qantas

You must include DFAT approval code, XXXXXXXXXX in the first screen to successfully complete your booking.

If all tickets sell out, an error message will display on the Qantas website.  We encourage you to regularly monitor the Qantas website as tickets may become available due to cancellations.

Bookings made by anyone who did not receive this link from DFAT may be cancelled.  Bookings made by anyone who departed Australia less than three months ago under an exemption may be cancelled.

Kind regards

Consular Team

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3

Consular Operations Branch

Consular and Crisis Management Division

www.dfat.gov.au

Bit off topic - but just wondering why In flight entertainment isnt available on the flights for people? 

50 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We will register asap!  Im still hoping we wont need it!!

Did you do the repat flight yourself Jon? (A 3 year old and no inflight entertainment is a scary thought!! 😯)

No we are still here and confirmed with SIA at the moment in September, but I will be trying to book a later back up flight if I can when the next email comes out!

I believe in flight entertainment it actually there, but they won't guarantee it.  Food supposedly VERY basic though.

So we are in a similar situation to you! We will also try book a repat flight for sometime in November.  Also considering a 3rd flight for January but that is also stretching us way out of our timeline! It would be great to hear how you get on so do please keep me posted if you can!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So we are in a similar situation to you! We will also try book a repat flight for sometime in November.  Also considering a 3rd flight for January but that is also stretching us way out of our timeline! It would be great to hear how you get on so do please keep me posted if you can!!

Yep!  I finish work next week, removals on the 6-8th and hopefully flying on the 15th.  So many forms to fill in!!

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Bit off topic - but just wondering why In flight entertainment isnt available on the flights for people? 

They are Govt Repat flights and the federal govt will have told the airlines to keep the costs down as any excess is covered by the govt.

Just a note for people booking in the months ahead - remember what the climate is like in Darwin during the wet season. Two weeks with small kids may seem like much much longer. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nemesis said:

They are Govt Repat flights and the federal govt will have told the airlines to keep the costs down as any excess is covered by the govt.

Just a note for people booking in the months ahead - remember what the climate is like in Darwin during the wet season. Two weeks with small kids may seem like much much longer. 

I would imagine all the rooms/ cabins have air con and you cant ''go out;; anyway, so probably wouldn't matter if it was 5 degrees or 45.

Cal x

17 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

We will register asap!  Im still hoping we wont need it!!

Did you do the repat flight yourself Jon? (A 3 year old and no inflight entertainment is a scary thought!! 😯)

Can you take your own? Ipads, power banks, colouring books, crayons etc should do the trick. My DD was that age when we travelled and she had her own little case full of boredom busters.. Biggest trick was no sleep unless we are in the air,lol...

Cal x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

I would imagine all the rooms/ cabins have air con and you cant ''go out;; anyway, so probably wouldn't matter if it was 5 degrees or 45.

Cal x

the rooms do have air con, but also have verandah space to sit outside, as the rooms are apparently not as large as many used in the hotels. A lot of "prisoners" have posted on reviews that its great sitting outside while the kids play in the fresh air. Newbies to oz may not realise the delights of humidity and mozzies make this less attractive in summer!

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Can you take your own? Ipads, power banks, colouring books, crayons etc should do the trick. My DD was that age when we travelled and she had her own little case full of boredom busters.. Biggest trick was no sleep unless we are in the air,lol...

Cal x

Yes thanks ill make sure she has sorts of goodies.  She likes to move 24/7 so its just a matter of keeping her happy/still 🙂 She has never flown before! Our current flight departs 10pm so that they can all sleep but who knows if we still get that flight. My fingers are crossed!! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MacGyver said:

They are keeping costs down so do not pay the licence fees for all the content. If they use an aircraft that has its fees paid for (maybe for a charter or domestic flight) passengers might be in luck. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

If you look at the email I pasted above it says you must have both.

Yes I get the emails from dfat and have read this previously so did think this was the interpretation but wanted to be sure it was definitely the case. 

As in, I didn't want to not book, and then find out later I could have. I expect I will miss the chance to book September dfat flights if these are announced in the coming days. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2021 at 14:45, Jon the Hat said:

Assuming you are in the UK Ron...

1) Register each of your family members and provide in the comments section at the bottom of each persons form, details of why you should have a flight - no job, no accommodation etc.   You should them in the period you nominate (ie Q4 2021) get every email they send re flights from the UK.  This includes a code for the flights in that email ONLY.

2) There is quite a lot of demand - August UK flights sold our in about an hour I think, with economy in half that.  However people so cancel and if you keep checking back it is possible to get flights.  If you get to a position of being close to homeless etc, you can email the conulate and ask to be prioritise and they will if they can help.

3) There were 6 UK to Darwin flights in August, however it depends on demand.  I expect demand to be high still so should be multiple flights into November.

4) £1165 per adult economy, about £2k premium economy and £4k business class.

5) Yes

6) No - you will get a code to book in internal flight with Qantas as a 50% discount and with international baggage allowance. 

7) Monthly - last month was the 19th July for August, so register NOW!!

😎 They help you get to your flight safely so you don#t have to Quarantine again.

9) Yes, they only apply for the flights (month) in the email, eg My July code didn't work for August.

Keep updating your details in the DFAT form to stay on the list/ priority!

Good luck!

Hi Jon, hope you get to see this.  I have another question:  Are the flight prices cheaper for children or is it a standard price across the board?  And lastly, how soon after you registered did you received any feedback from DFAT?

Thank you!

Does anyone know if the DFAT flights for September have been released yet via email? I am registered and received the August dates but not heard anything yet this month for September dates and just want to make sure I'm still receiving them. 

2 hours ago, bicek said:

Does anyone know if the DFAT flights for September have been released yet via email? I am registered and received the August dates but not heard anything yet this month for September dates and just want to make sure I'm still receiving them.

Same here - I don't think they came out, lots of people on the Stuck in the UK Facebook group also waiting.

I also noted they changed the baggage allowance for carry on from 115cm to 105cm which is smaller than normal cabin bag 😞  and hold baggage 30 kg and one piece per person.  No additional allowance for Premium economy or Business either.  nuts.

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Same here - I don't think they came out, lots of people on the Stuck in the UK Facebook group also waiting.

I also noted they changed the baggage allowance for carry on from 115cm to 105cm which is smaller than normal cabin bag 😞  and hold baggage 30 kg and one piece per person.  No additional allowance for Premium economy or Business either.  nuts.

Well, good to know that nothing has been released as yet and I haven't missed out. I was in the middle of Wales last week with no reception at all and was worried they'd pop up then when I stood no chance at all.

Baggage seems strict. I can see that infants aren't given much at all, so not sure how we will juggle the need to bring baby's essential items when they don't allow for it. One 10kg  item in the hold if they're a lap infant. I can see myself needing to buy all new clothes when I arrive, with my suitcase stuffed with bedding, nappies, toys and everything else that the children *need* 😅 

I'd like to know if I booked a seat for my infant, whether their allowance would then include a 30kg hold bag, plus a pram. But it doesn't look like it... bit unclear.

Also very harsh that premium and business don't have increased baggage allowances. And I keep seeing that food/drink is allowed on board to supplement their meagre offering. I thought people couldn't bring food/drink onto planes these days? Have they scrapped this rule?!

So that's definitely a plus for the SIA flights that's for sure... but I am in a pickle with the hard border between NSW and VIC, as need to get from one to the other after quarantine. Seems impossible right now. 

4 hours ago, Maussie said:

I remember seeing 105cm too (I think on an early email but not sure where). Got the tape measure out and was feeling pretty miffed but then noticed the e-ticket pdf states 115cm. We took >105cm cabin cases and didn't have any issues. 

That's great to know, thank you 👍