Fish?

unzippy

4 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I don't eat a lot of fish at home as the other half doesn't like it - so I'm not that knowledgeable.

What types of fish are good to eat and that are not bland and mushy?

I like snapper. It is a good solid piece of fish. But i have it grilled from the fish and chip shop, i haven't cooked it at home.

I think salmon is the only fish i have tried cooking myself. A stronger flavour and perhaps not everyone would like it.

Not sure i can be bothered cooking fish at home, i just get fish and chips when i am in the mood for fish.

• Thanks 1

Queensland and WA reef fish, notably bluey, golden snapper red emperor, red mouth sweetlip, coral trout, barramundi, the WA dhufish and its Eastern States counterpart, the pearl perch. Of the pelagics, the mackerel family are considered the best. All others are a rather poor second. One very good fish is the mangrove jack, but it is more a fish to be caught by rod and reel rather than a ‘shop fish’.

Of the common ‘shop fish’ the snapper, flathead and bream are popular. And in Victoria, the gummy shark, snapper and flathead are the usual ones bought.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

I don't eat a lot of fish at home as the other half doesn't like it - so I'm not that knowledgeable.

Unlike meat it’s all about freshness.  Ocean trout, best quality tuna, Spanish mackerel, swordfish, worth a try.  Don’t buy at ‘supermarkets’

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, unzippy said:

Striped trumpeter, trevally, bream, trout and salmon are all good fish and easy to cook.  Most times I wrap the fish in foil with a bit of butter and some lemon juice and cook in the oven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I don't eat meat but still eat fish a couple of times a week and yes, it's straight off the boat or fish my husband has caught.  

Blue-eye Trevalla mentioned as the finest table fish available in Tasmania. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Striped trumpeter, trevally, bream, trout and salmon are all good fish and easy to cook.  Most times I wrap the fish in foil with a bit of butter and some lemon juice and cook in the oven.

I don’t cook much fish (usually salmon with a little bit of chilli sauce or smoked haddock) but when I do I also wrap it in foil with a little bit of butter and do it in the oven for about 20 minutes.  I’m like parley, mine is mostly from the chippy. A local pub to me does really lovely beer bartered fish and chips.

4 hours ago, Toots said:

You are correct Parley.  A vegetarian does not eat any animal flesh, fish flesh included    ................  therefore I am not a true vegetarian.

I didn’t know that.  I’ve often wondered why vegetarians eat fish. When you see them pulled out the ocean in big nets and left to suffocate on the boat I've never understood why that was any different to any other killing.  I know individual fishermen knock them on the head quickly to save suffering but thousands caught in nets don’t get that quick ending.  I eat meat and fish but I understand some don’t wish to but I’ve always been baffled why one was ok and the other not.  Interesting what you say that those who do eat fish are not true vegetarian, that makes such sense.  Not that it matters, it just interested me. 

• Like 2

Tailor straight from the water is my favourite taste but it doesn't keep more than a few hrs, or freeze well, and is crap from the shops. Fresh flathead is a 2nd but not the atlantic species sold in shops. Anything from a reef is quite nice but I'd give my right arm for a piece of halibut which is not available here.............texture and taste perfect

• Like 1

If I can’t get it really fresh I buy frozen. Salmon freezes well. Most in supermarkets is wet that is previously frozen then thawed.

Nothing like a really fresh fish that was recently moving though.  Best I ever had was leaping from a basket in a market on the banks of the Bosphorus then grilled in the open and served with salads and pickles.  No idea what it was!

21 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

Tailor straight from the water is my favourite taste but it doesn't keep more than a few hrs, or freeze well, and is crap from the shops. Fresh flathead is a 2nd but not the atlantic species sold in shops. Anything from a reef is quite nice but I'd give my right arm for a piece of halibut which is not available here.............texture and taste perfect

Try for mangrove jacks, Kev, they are brawlers and have great eating qualities. Plenty in the Nerang River, around bridge pylons; so, they should be around in the Brissie area.

I reckon the only way to eat tailor is to smoke them, same with blackfish.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

I always enjoy fishing for, and cooking up, Whiting. I use a light rig in the surf, between the shore and the wave break usually around midday as that is when Whiting feed. I often get quite a few legal-sized Whiting (just barely legal that is, as they taste better than the larger fish).  When they are "on" getting a dozen in an hour is great fun.

I fry them up in a batter with herbs, and a splash of white wine.

I agree, fresh Flathead is an excellent go-to when nothing else is biting. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bobj said:

Try for mangrove jacks, Kev, they are brawlers and have great eating qualities. Plenty in the Nerang River, around bridge pylons; so, they should be around in the Brissie area.

I reckon the only way to eat tailor is to smoke them, same with blackfish.

Cheers, Bobj.

Always put 'em back Bob as they're a worthy fighting fish. Only ever kept one and that went in a tank. Couldn't keep up with feeding the bugger. We actually looked at stocking them but was refused a licence to do so.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...