Opening of international borders

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Our usual clinic didn’t have appointments for months. We went to a different Center who had appointments within a week. No problems we just had to register as new patients and drive the 30 mins. 
I just used the booking site to pick the first appointment available 

We did the same no problem at all here where we are on the Sunshine Coast. I went on the government website rang a couple of surgeries, one gave a date for the jab several weeks later, and the next one said you can come in today,!! I couldn’t but went one week later.  Does seem odd though that some clinics seem to have no problem with getting lots of vaccine, whereas others are very limited?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ramot said:

We did the same no problem at all here where we are on the Sunshine Coast. I went on the government website rang a couple of surgeries, one gave a date for the jab several weeks later, and the next one said you can come in today,!! I couldn’t but went one week later.  Does seem odd though that some clinics seem to have no problem with getting lots of vaccine, whereas others are very limited?

Similar to my experience. Phoned 3 medical centres in Brisbane, was offered a range of dates, just picked the one that suited me personally. No requirement to sign up as a patient, I don't have a regular GP or anything. 

All good - jab was Astro Zeneka - no side effects at all

• Like 4

https://www.9news.com.au/national/qantas-delays-international-flights-slow-vaccine-rollout-australia-overseas-travel/4d78ec56-022b-4f12-ae10-8ece389a4229

I think there will be a considerable push for an earlier opening from airlines and other business sectors that are impacted by the closure of the international borders. A sensible gove would initiate a stagewise re-opening, establishing bubbles with those countries that have vaccinated well over 80% of their population and then move on to rest.

Pushing 100% blanket opening to mid-next year is just a political gimmick that could very well backfire as the frustration amongst those stuck inside continues to grow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigJoe said:

I’ve had both of my AZ jabs, no issues here in the UK.

This is why so many of us in Australia are annoyed.  We look at the stellar job the UK has done of the vaccine rollout - all the more impressive because the whole NHS must be so exhausted after last year's high sickness and death rates.  Yet here, where we've had the luxury of time to plan, we're still barely getting started. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

This is why so many of us in Australia are annoyed.  We look at the stellar job the UK has done of the vaccine rollout - all the more impressive because the whole NHS must be so exhausted after last year's high sickness and death rates.  Yet here, where we've had the luxury of time to plan, we're still barely getting started. 

In my area 4 GP surgeries banded together from the beginning of the vaccine rollout and took over a community building and are open 7 days a week! . We were the envy of neighbouring areas as we went through the vaccinations so much quicker because of the dedication of those surgeries and all the volunteers who were taught to give vaccinations and manned the centres to help with queues etc . They are now offering second vaccination within 8 weeks of first and vaccinating the much younger people. I was fully vaccinated before many people I know who are much older than me but lived in different areas. 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

In my area 4 GP surgeries banded together from the beginning of the vaccine rollout and took over a community building and are open 7 days a week! . We were the envy of neighbouring areas as we went through the vaccinations so much quicker because of the dedication of those surgeries and all the volunteers who were taught to give vaccinations and manned the centres to help with queues etc . They are now offering second vaccination within 8 weeks of first and vaccinating the much younger people. I was fully vaccinated before many people I know who are much older than me but lived in different areas. 

I still don’t understand how some surgeries here on the Sunshine Coast seemed to have plenty of the AZ vaccine, whilst lots of others in our area haven’t. I’ll have my 2nd jab in just over 2 weeks, as have many people I know locally. It seems that just ‘down the road’ many have only just had their first.

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

In my area 4 GP surgeries banded together from the beginning of the vaccine rollout and took over a community building and are open 7 days a week! . 

In Australia, we have had many GP surgeries pulling out all the stops to get ready, the problem is that they can't get the supply for some reason.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

In Australia, we have had many GP surgeries pulling out all the stops to get ready, the problem is that they can't get the supply for some reason.

I’m not sure what’s happened there. I might be wrong but I’m sure I remember my daughter sending me something last year where Scott Morrison was announcing/celebrating the fact that Australians would be the first in the queue for vaccines?? Or have I imagined that - was it fake news?? 

I’m not sure what’s happened there. I might be wrong but I’m sure I remember my daughter sending me something last year where Scott Morrison was announcing/celebrating the fact that Australians would be the first in the queue for vaccines?? Or have I imagined that - was it fake news?? 

No you didn't imagine it:  he did say that.  The Prime Minister of Announcements (And Photo Opportunities).  🙄  

• Like 2

He did say it but he was lying

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

He did say it but he was lying

Hmm - believe there’s an election next year?? Probably not an easy decision as it will be split between those who want to keep borders closed and stay in their bubble or those who have been, very sadly, negatively impacted by the decision to make it very difficult to leave the country. 
The option to keep the borders closed  is definitely a very bad decision for an island which imports a lot, and relies on students, tourists,  working holiday visas and airlines  to keep its economy running. I’m sure there’s more reasons that big  business will come up with! 

The idea of potentially allowing vaccinated Australians to leave and go to other countries and return,  without allowing reciprocal travel,  could also cause a very nasty backlash from those other countries. 

• Like 1

What he actually announced/celebrated was that our own Australian company CSL would be manufacturing AstraZeneca in Australia. Therefore we wouldn't be beholden to other countries to give us vaccines. At the time that was great news.

Unfortunately the reputation of AstraZeneca has since been a little tarnished and is relegated for use only by over 50s. Apparently some magical event happens on one's 50th birthday.

AstraZeneca has not even got FDA approval in the USA to be used at all. It is not an approved vaccine in the US.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Hmm - believe there’s an election next year?? Probably not an easy decision as it will be split between those who want to keep borders closed and stay in their bubble or those who have been, very sadly, negatively impacted by the decision to make it very difficult to leave the country. 
The option to keep the borders closed  is definitely a very bad decision for an island which imports a lot, and relies on students, tourists,  working holiday visas and airlines  to keep its economy running. I’m sure there’s more reasons that big  business will come up with! 

The idea of potentially allowing vaccinated Australians to leave and go to other countries and return,  without allowing reciprocal travel,  could also cause a very nasty backlash from those other countries. 

The Australian economy has performed very well because of the hard borders and the resulting absence (generally speaking) of Covid onshore. It’s allowed the economy to return to pre Covid levels very quickly and up to this point, closed borders have proven to be a vote winner at state elections. The closed borders have not applied to the import and export of goods, which have seen minimal impact (and it is worth noting that Australia exports more than it imports).

So the decision to close the borders up to this point is better characterised as definitely a very good decision, rather than “ definitely a very bad decision”.

With the economy doing well and people feeling safe, the majority still seem to be in favour of closed borders and the prime minister has a tendency to follow the votes, so will be reluctant to make changes.

As vaccination levels increase I imagine pressure will build from within, and there will be a shift towards opening up to other vaccinated countries (Uk, USA etc) on a reciprocal basis, much like the current reciprocal travel bubble with New Zealand. 

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

So the decision to close the borders up to this point is better characterised as definitely a very good decision, rather than “ definitely a very bad decision”.

Linda didn't say that closing the borders was a bad decision.  She said that KEEPING the borders closed is a bad decision, and that was in response to Dusty saying we should keep the borders closed for the next 10 years, "bring it on".

• Like 3

What he actually announced/celebrated was that our own Australian company CSL would be manufacturing AstraZeneca in Australia. Therefore we wouldn't be beholden to other countries to give us vaccines. At the time that was great news.
Unfortunately the reputation of AstraZeneca has since been a little tarnished and is relegated for use only by over 50s. Apparently some magical event happens on one's 50th birthday.
AstraZeneca has not even got FDA approval in the USA to be used at all. It is not an approved vaccine in the US.

Pretty sure he said that the entire Australian population would be vaccinated by October

As previously mentioned he is a liar but then he can’t help it it’s part of his make up
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Pretty sure he said that the entire Australian population would be vaccinated by October

As previously mentioned he is a liar but then he can’t help it it’s part of his make up

No he didn't ever say that.

Of course he isn't a liar. That would be against his fundamental Christian beliefs.

14 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Keeping the borders closed is always a vote-winner in Australia, it's a natural extension of the anti-immigration politics of the past.

Of course it's bad for the economy, but Australian voters generally place border/national security above the economy (they haven't experienced a recession since the early 90s, not counting the present technical recession).

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

As vaccination levels increase I imagine pressure will build from within, and there will be a shift towards opening up to other vaccinated countries (Uk, USA etc) on a reciprocal basis, much like the current reciprocal travel bubble with New Zealand. 

Something that's often overlooked here is that even now the USA still bars all foreigners from entering if they have set foot in the EU/UK in the past 14 days.  While the UK requires people from the USA to quarantine upon arrival.

Until those countries fully open up to each other, I think it's a bit premature to talk about Australia opening up its borders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you. He never mentioned October. I was sure of that.

Yes the plan was/is to vaccinate everyone by end of this year or as soon as possible.

We all make plans in life to finish some goal by a deadline. Doesn't make us a liar if we cannot achieve it though. Circumstances change in life.

I could call Marisa a liar for saying her husband could not live in Australia because he is allergic to the sun. They left Australia and came back in a year. Does this make her a liar. Some would say yes but I think maybe that is too harsh. Sometimes external circumstances just change

Calling people a liar everytime a plan is not delivered on time and on budget is ridiculous.

If AstraZeneca had not ended up causing blood clots and killing people, then I'm sure the end of year goal would have been achieved. Morrison can't be called a liar for what the medical experts ended up mandating.

Edited by Parley

6 minutes ago, Parley said:

Thank you. He never mentioned October. I was sure of that.

That article actually said 

Under the vaccine strategy all Australians will be offered the opportunity to be vaccinated by October 2021.

Involved in the roll out will be the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Australian Medical Association and logistics companies including DHL and Linfox, with GPs and community pharmacies administering the jab.

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

That article actually said 

Under the vaccine strategy all Australians will be offered the opportunity to be vaccinated by October 2021.

Involved in the roll out will be the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Australian Medical Association and logistics companies including DHL and Linfox, with GPs and community pharmacies administering the jab.

Which may still happen at least for the first shot. We are doing the 40s now and will move to the 30s soon.

I predict only about 70% will accept though. So got to accept several million will refuse vaccination altogether.

28 minutes ago, Parley said:

Which may still happen at least for the first shot. We are doing the 40s now and will move to the 30s soon.

I predict only about 70% will accept though. So got to accept several million will refuse vaccination altogether.

F2A3C216-A677-4D49-BE0D-9EE2B70F7E81.png