Getting OUT of England

mrsmac

1 hour ago, mrsmac said:

The latest directive from the Home Office regarding international travel does not appear to include 'Migrating' as a valid reason for departure. Has anyone found a way through this?

It is a valid reason (and as I understand it, the UK are bound by international law to let you go)

Edited by mt9754
  • Like 2

The UK (unlike Australia) has enshrined international human rights law into domestic legislation and there is nothing stopping you leaving the UK to live in another country. 

Australia is currently breaching its international human rights obligations by not allowing citizens and permanent residents to freely cross borders.

I have just arrived in the UK and had to apply for a special exemption to leave Australia to visit my Dad who is terminally ill. I have a return flight booked in 2 months but due to the illegal caps on arrivals into Australia i don’t know how long I will be separated from my husband who is about to start dialysis and my kids. I could easily be bumped off my flight to make way for rich non-Australians....

Fortunately I am able to work remotely so at least my family won’t suffer financially as I am the main breadwinner. 

Your biggest problem with relocating to Australia will be getting in to the country due to the cap on arrivals....

58 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

The UK (unlike Australia) has enshrined international human rights law into domestic legislation and there is nothing stopping you leaving the UK to live in another country. 

Australia is currently breaching its international human rights obligations by not allowing citizens and permanent residents to freely cross borders.

I have just arrived in the UK and had to apply for a special exemption to leave Australia to visit my Dad who is terminally ill. I have a return flight booked in 2 months but due to the illegal caps on arrivals into Australia i don’t know how long I will be separated from my husband who is about to start dialysis and my kids. I could easily be bumped off my flight to make way for rich non-Australians....

Fortunately I am able to work remotely so at least my family won’t suffer financially as I am the main breadwinner. 

Your biggest problem with relocating to Australia will be getting in to the country due to the cap on arrivals....

Australians and permanent residents

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid 

your travel is for your business/employer

you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia

you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer

you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds 

your travel is in the national interest.

You must provide evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. Evidence may include:

passport/s

marriage certificate/s

birth certificate/s

death certificate/s

proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)*

proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis such as leases, job offers and evidence your goods are being transported

proof of your current valid visa, including in Australia and/or overseas

letter from a doctor or hospital about any medical treatment/condition with statements on why travel is necessary

letter from your employer, or other evidence that you are travelling for a business reason

statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia

any other proof you may have to support your claims.

I am happy with these arrangements. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mrsmac said:

The latest directive from the Home Office regarding international travel does not appear to include 'Migrating' as a valid reason for departure. Has anyone found a way through this?

If I'm looking at the correct form online (this one: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/967404/declaration-form-for-international-travel.pdf) the last box is: Other permitted reasons – please specify:

Tick that one and tell them you are moving to Australia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Thank goodness for the common sense applied in Aus. Otherwise we would be in the same state as the UK, Europe and most of the rest of the world. Instead we've led a "normal" life with very few deaths whilst everyone else has been locked down and had to suffer a massive death rate.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Australians and permanent residents

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid 

your travel is for your business/employer

you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia

you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer

you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds 

your travel is in the national interest.

You must provide evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. Evidence may include:

passport/s

marriage certificate/s

birth certificate/s

death certificate/s

proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)*

proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis such as leases, job offers and evidence your goods are being transported

proof of your current valid visa, including in Australia and/or overseas

letter from a doctor or hospital about any medical treatment/condition with statements on why travel is necessary

letter from your employer, or other evidence that you are travelling for a business reason

statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia

any other proof you may have to support your claims.

I am happy with these arrangements. 

Bully for you.

It has been an extremely stressful time trying to get back to the UK to spend time with my father before he dies a horrid but fairly quick death from pancreatic cancer. I work with others in Brisbane who have not been so lucky and they have missed the passing of parents and funerals. 

I sincerely hope this never happens to you or anyone you care about. You obviously have no sympathy for me or my family....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Bully for you.

It has been an extremely stressful time trying to get back to the UK to spend time with my father before he dies a horrid but fairly quick death from pancreatic cancer. I work with others in Brisbane who have not been so lucky and they have missed the passing of parents and funerals. 

I sincerely hope this never happens to you or anyone you care about. You obviously have no sympathy for me or my family....

So sorry this is happening to you Loopylu - I've seen quite a few posts of people who have been allowed out on compassionate grounds so it's very sad that you arent getting the same leeway.  I missed my dad's funeral - c'est la vie, only 15 would have been allowed to have been there and the thought of a couple of weeks quarantine at each end wasnt going to make it worth it.  Easy for me as I didnt know he was going to die, he just popped off quietly like he always said he would.  I hope you get back to see your dad and maybe get to his funeral - pancreatic cancer is not a good way to go and so hard for everyone around him.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

So sorry this is happening to you Loopylu - I've seen quite a few posts of people who have been allowed out on compassionate grounds so it's very sad that you arent getting the same leeway.  I missed my dad's funeral - c'est la vie, only 15 would have been allowed to have been there and the thought of a couple of weeks quarantine at each end wasnt going to make it worth it.  Easy for me as I didnt know he was going to die, he just popped off quietly like he always said he would.  I hope you get back to see your dad and maybe get to his funeral - pancreatic cancer is not a good way to go and so hard for everyone around him.  

I think you have misread the post.  Loopylu is back in the UK with her father but is cross about the fact that she had to apply for an exemption to do so and is cross that getting back to Australia is a bit pot luck, or vastly expensive.  She seems to think that the boarders should be wide open and citizens allowed to travel freely regardless of the consequences.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Just now, Quoll said:

Hi Quoll

Thanks for your care. I totally understand where you were coming from in not rushing back for a funeral. I know you got to spend lots of quality time with both of your parents in a place you love for several years and I am sure they both appreciated your care for them. 

I have managed to get to the UK and (like you were) I am loving being back (in spite of the difficult circumstances) and feel like I truly belong where I am.

My stress related more to the fact that, with the new exemption process and lack of flights etc, it took a while to get out and my greatest fear now is not being able to get back to my family due to caps on arrivals. Two weeks in quarantine shouldn't be too bad as I can work remotely. I'll just treat it like a business trip, albeit rather restricted...

My husband who is still in Brisbane has end stage chronic kidney disease and will start dialysis probably in May which made it hard for me to decide where to be but my husband was very supportive of me spending time with my parents.  Fortunately my twin boys are 20 and daughter 16 and so they can help out on that front until I manage to return.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NicF said:

I think you have misread the post.  Loopylu is back in the UK with her father but is cross about the fact that she had to apply for an exemption to do so and is cross that getting back to Australia is a bit pot luck, or vastly expensive.  She seems to think that the boarders should be wide open and citizens allowed to travel freely regardless of the consequences.

I am not cross. Just very sad.  If you have not been through this type of gut wrenching experience then you cannot really judge. I have work colleagues who have had to make the very difficult decision not to be with dying parents due to the travel restrictions and my heart aches for them.  Hopefully you never have to go through this and, if you do, people are a bit nicer to you.

Also, it's "borders", not "boarders".

Australia and NZ could easily close borders due to not being a major transit hub.  Of course, everyone ignores that fact when bigging up how well Australia and NZ has done on managing Covid.  Not doing so well on the vaccine roll out though, eh!

Also, I never mentioned the expense of returning. Fortunately my parents are fairly well off and so they have financed my trip and will pay for my quarantine on return.

As I say, I hope this never happens to you or anyone you care about.

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Loopylu said:

Bully for you.

I'm sure everyone has sympathy but these are strange times. We have a friend who's dad died, couldn't get back and hasn't been back yet.

Plenty of people in the UK had to witness parents and relations passing away with Covid and couldn't get near them on their deathbed.

What would you prefer?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I am not cross. Just very sad.  If you have not been through this type of gut wrenching experience then you cannot really judge. I have work colleagues who have had to make the very difficult decision not to be with dying parents due to the travel restrictions and my heart aches for them.  Hopefully you never have to go through this and, if you do, people are a bit nicer to you.

Australia and NZ could easily close borders due to not being a major transit hub.  Of course, everyone ignores that fact when bigging up how well Australia and NZ has done on managing Covid.  Not doing so well on the vaccine roll out though, eh!

It sounds like you’ve had a terrible time and it must be awful, you have my sympathies and condolences. I do though think your understandable emotions are spilling over into your posts.

I am not trying to diminish how awful this situation has been and currently is, but relishing in people not yet being vaccinated (and at risk of death) and highlighting grammar/spelling issues is unnecessary. 

I hope you get home to your family soon and can start grieving this terrible loss with their support.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Also, I never mentioned the expense of returning. Fortunately my parents are fairly well off and so they have financed my trip and will pay for my quarantine on return.

Vaccine rollout will happen but we're not exactly in a rush or desperate are we. Best given to France or Italy who have a third wave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It sounds like you’ve had a terrible time and it must be awful, you have my sympathies and condolences. I do though think your understandable emotions are spilling over into your posts.

I am not trying to diminish how awful this situation has been and currently is, but relishing in people not yet being vaccinated (and at risk of death) and highlighting grammar/spelling issues is unnecessary. 

I hope you get home to your family soon and can start grieving this terrible loss with their support.

I think it is unnecessary how horrible NicF was in her assessment of my situation and her absolute lack of sympathy - hence my snide reference to her lack of expertise in English.  I am not delighting in the pathetic Aussie vaccine roll out.  Instead, I am both sad and angry about this. Why should ScoMo who is fit and healthy get his dose before my 58 year old husband (end stage kidney disease), the very elderly and other chronically ill people in Australia?  Boris Johnson is only getting his AZ vaccine this week as he has waited his turn, allocated by age and health condition to get his dose. 

Australia has its priorities skewed in my view, putting the welfare of the rich, elite and Australian born ahead of the masses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I think it is unnecessary how horrible NicF was in her assessment of my situation and her absolute lack of sympathy - hence my snide reference to her lack of expertise in English.  I am not delighting in the pathetic Aussie vaccine roll out.  Instead, I am both sad and angry about this. Why should ScoMo who is fit and healthy get his dose before my 58 year old husband (end stage kidney disease), the very elderly and other chronically ill people in Australia?  Boris Johnson is only getting his AZ vaccine this week as he has waited his turn, allocated by age and health condition to get his dose. 

Australia has its priorities skewed in my view, putting the welfare of the rich, elite and Australian born ahead of the masses.

I think Scomo did it to set an example for the people who are against getting it. Nothing to do with being rich, entitled or Australian born. My wife gets her first jab today, she's a nurse, born in the UK..

Let's face it, we don't have a massive worry here and it's not the protection a lot thought it would be. A doctor who'd already had the vaccine still got covid in Brisbane.

We would have had more here if Italy and the EU not stopped a delivery. I thought our health minister was pretty good about it when he said they need it more than us and didn't make a big fuss.

Try not to get sad and angry about things you can't do anything about. It's not healthy.

• Like 3

There are counter points to much of what you say, but it would be drifting off topic and wouldn’t be helpful to you. I do wish you well in making it home to your family.

• Like 1

I too had to jump on a plane to be there in the last hours of my father's life, and it was literally moments at the bedside, but at least I made it.  I do not think anyone on here, especially me and others in the same situation, would attempt to argue with your situation, a situation that we have also been through.

I was angry at the time. I was angry at the health system, I was angry that I lived so far away from my family and I was angry with myself in the fact that that I had not been a part of my father's later life.  And so I blamed the system and those who work in the system.

You have my sympathy and I was not attempting to belittle your circumstances.  I was only highlighting government policy.

Australia, least of all, does not have skewed priorities when it comes to Covid -19. We live in interesting times with Covid -19 and that means that we need to have arrangements in place for the common good,  in order to protect people living in Australia. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 3

I am not cross. Just very sad.  If you have not been through this type of gut wrenching experience then you cannot really judge....

I too was unable to return to the UK for my mother's last weeks (years ago and nothing to do with Covid) so I understand that aspect.

I do, however, think the excuse that "the UK is a major transit hub" was a feeble excuse for not closing the UK's borders when the government had the chance.  The fault lies with the politicians and their advisers, not the British people (we've seen what a stellar job the Brits can do with the vaccine rollout, which the pollies were kept away from).  The UK is an island and just as able to manage their borders as Australia or NZ.

I do agree that it looks like they're making a pig's ear of the vaccine rollout.  I was in favour of them delaying approval until the final testing was done, but they should've been organising the rollout in the meantime. Whereas it looks as though they just twiddled their thumbs.  As for ScoMo & co getting vaccinated first - I agree with Paul, the idea was to show it was safe, but it backfired.  You're not the only one thinking their grandma or husband or doctor nephew should've got it first. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I too was unable to return to the UK for my mother's last weeks (years ago and nothing to do with Covid) so I understand that aspect.

I do, however, think the excuse that "the UK is a major transit hub" was a feeble excuse for not closing the UK's borders when the government had the chance.  The fault lies with the politicians and their advisers, not the British people (we've seen what a stellar job the Brits can do with the vaccine rollout, which the pollies were kept away from).  The UK is an island and just as able to manage their borders as Australia or NZ.

I do agree that it looks like they're making a pig's ear of the vaccine rollout.  I was in favour of them delaying approval until the final testing was done, but they should've been organising the rollout in the meantime. Whereas it looks as though they just twiddled their thumbs.  As for ScoMo & co getting vaccinated first - I agree with Paul, the idea was to show it was safe, but it backfired.  You're not the only one thinking their grandma or husband or doctor nephew should've got it first. 

That is simply not true.  If the UK did what Australia did people would literally starve to death and die from lack of medications. We are fully integrated with the European supply chain.  Thousands of trucks with drivers have to come in on a daily basis.  We literally don't have enough trucks, drivers or other means to import essential goods without this.  Imports to Australia are basically all containerised in one way or another and the domestic supply chain manages all the Australian logistics.  

That is not to say we could not have limited flights from say Brazil earlier, but to imply this would have enabled an AU or NZ style zero covid strategy is simply a lie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

That is simply not true.  If the UK did what Australia did people would literally starve to death and die from lack of medications. We are fully integrated with the European supply chain.  Thousands of trucks with drivers have to come in on a daily basis.  We literally don't have enough trucks, drivers or other means to import essential goods without this.  Imports to Australia are basically all containerised in one way or another and the domestic supply chain manages all the Australian logistics.  

That is not to say we could not have limited flights from say Brazil earlier, but to imply this would have enabled an AU or NZ style zero covid strategy is simply a lie.

You are exactly right.  Also, when Covid started the UK was still part of the EU and it would have been illegal to close the borders to people from Europe. Unlike Australia, the UK abides by its international and domestic legal commitments.  The UNHCR regularly cites Australia as being in violation of human rights treaties it has signed around treatment of refugees, freedom to cross borders and charging foreign residents for accessing public education.  Australia is a law unto itself, which as a lawyer who has a duty to uphold the law, I find deeply disturbing.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I am sorry to hear about you not being able to be with your mother - it must have been very difficult and upsetting.  I missed the passing and funerals of both my grandmothers - the first time when I was a student in the USSR and the second time I was living in Australia. For the first, the British Embassy had to tell me because it was impossible for my parents to phone me in those days of communism.  When my second grandmother died, I was treated appallingly by my Australian employers  (a top tier law firm) who complained when I left work on time to go home to talk to my father on the phone the day before his mother's funeral. I was not allowed any time off to grieve. Experiences like this don't exactly endear people to Australian culture....

I don't agree  with you that ScoMo was setting an example. The Queen (who as far as I am aware is still Australia's head of state) had her vaccine (and owing to her age (over 90) it was right that she was an early uptaker). There was no need for ScoMo to do it. They could have asked John Howard to step in.  ScoMo and his ilk look after number one first and they know how to "spin" a situation to their advantage....

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I too had to jump on a plane to be there in the last hours of my father's life, and it was literally moments at the bedside, but at least I made it.  I do not think anyone on here, especially me and others in the same situation, would attempt to argue with your situation, a situation that we have also been through.

I was angry at the time. I was angry at the health system, I was angry that I lived so far away from my family and I was angry with myself in the fact that that I had not been a part of my father's later life.  And so I blamed the system and those who work in the system.

You have my sympathy and I was not attempting to belittle your circumstances.  I was only highlighting government policy.

Australia, least of all, does not have skewed priorities when it comes to Covid -19. We live in interesting times with Covid -19 and that means that we need to have arrangements in place for the common good,  in order to protect people living in Australia. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I am sorry for your loss and what you went through.

I would be more comfortable with Australia's approach if it treated all people trapped here the same. However, it has left temporary visa holders and international students who lost their jobs with no financial support and simply telling people who have lived here 5+ years or are semester away from getting their qualification to leave when there are no flights and their lives are here is inhuman. Canada and the UK gave temporary visa holders the same furlough pay as citizens. Australia is also cutting Jobkeeper at the end of this month when there are still numerous people whose jobs will not return for months, maybe, years.  My Sister in Law works for Qantas international and she will lose all income on 31 March. She would love Qantas to make her redundant so that she has some money to live on while (at age 60 and with a mortgage) she tries to find other work but Qantas won't because she may be still needed, who knows when.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I think Scomo did it to set an example for the people who are against getting it. Nothing to do with being rich, entitled or Australian born. My wife gets her first jab today, she's a nurse, born in the UK..

Let's face it, we don't have a massive worry here and it's not the protection a lot thought it would be. A doctor who'd already had the vaccine still got covid in Brisbane.

We would have had more here if Italy and the EU not stopped a delivery. I thought our health minister was pretty good about it when he said they need it more than us and didn't make a big fuss.

Try not to get sad and angry about things you can't do anything about. It's not healthy.

If you mean the doctor involved in the most recent scare, then she had NOT been vaccinated. 

• Like 1