Is the UK’s weather massively underrated?

Red Rose

On 10/10/2020 at 13:49, bunbury61 said:

Somewhere close to you tea4too ? 

Aberaeron- during the week - the eldest is still there 

The youngest has took the train this morning to London- shopping with lunch at harrods .

She looked a million dollars when she left - lovely fitted beige mac and boots 

Pleased that she's living her life - even under these conditions 

IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg

Lovely photo Bunbury, and not too far from us. Never mind the weather I think Wales is massively underrated (but happy for that to remain a well kept secret in many ways 😊).  T x

• Like 1

When I was a nipper I loved the ice and snow but as an older adult I came to fear it. I hated driving in snow and ice and was scared of slipping when I was out walking as opposed to looking for the best bit to slide. So, whilst the spring and summer are usually very pleasant I've not real desire to experience winter again, even in Australia, especially in cold homes.

On 14/10/2020 at 18:30, tea4too said:

Lovely photo Bunbury, and not too far from us. Never mind the weather I think Wales is massively underrated (but happy for that to remain a well kept secret in many ways 😊).  T x

I'm not Welsh nor do I work for the tourist board but Wales is my absolute fave place, it's amazing. It's got everything, beaches, forests, mountains you name it. We try and have a weekend there every couple of months with the pooches. Gorgeous.

• Like 3

On 14/10/2020 at 18:30, tea4too said:

I totally agree - I have told this story before- i had 4and a half hour drive through snow covered mountains - Llanberis to Chepstow- beautiful winding roads - streams - villages the full works 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, s713 said:

I'm not Welsh nor do I work for the tourist board but Wales is my absolute fave place, it's amazing. It's got everything, beaches, forests, mountains you name it. We try and have a weekend there every couple of months with the pooches. Gorgeous.

Careful, the Welsh don;t like people talking up Wales at the moment, they seem to think English tourists = death!

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Careful, the Welsh don;t like people talking up Wales at the moment, they seem to think English tourists = death!

Not quite Jon... Wales is still  keeping a warm Welcome in the Hillside, but asking those living in high Covid-19 areas within the UK  to just postpone any visits for now. Tx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's an absolute myth that there's only 1 season in Perth at least. There are 4 very  distinct seasons. 5 if we look at Noongar seasons. 

Summer is warm to hot and for the most part dry with an occasional storm 

Autumn is warm, early Autumn can be hot, plenty of beach days still possible...mostly dry with rain increasing as we move towards Winter, amazing colours and falling leaves much like a UK Autumn. 

Winter is either wet, cold and miserable with milder nights or sunny cool to warmer days and cold, cold nights. 

Early Spring is an extension of Winter and as we move into mid Spring the days gradually get warmer and more pleasant. Much less rain as the months go by. A taste of Summer. Shorts come out late Oct. 

I found the Winter bone chillingly cold (difficukt to warm up once you got cold) and Summer to be woefully short in the UK and the warmer climate suits me and my aches and pains much better. Family visitors claim their arthritic aches are eased when visiting. That said the Winter here seems long in a house without proper heating. That's easily rectified though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

It's an absolute myth that there's only 1 season in Perth at least. There are 4 very  distinct seasons. 5 if we look at Noongar seasons. 

Summer is warm to hot and for the most part dry with an occasional storm 

Autumn is warm, early Autumn can be hot, plenty of beach days still possible...mostly dry with rain increasing as we move towards Winter, amazing colours and falling leaves much like a UK Autumn. 

Winter is either wet, cold and miserable with milder nights or sunny cool to warmer days and cold, cold nights. 

Early Spring is an extension of Winter and as we move into mid Spring the days gradually get warmer and more pleasant. Much less rain as the months go by. A taste of Summer. Shorts come out late Oct. 

I found the Winter bone chillingly cold (difficukt to warm up once you got cold) and Summer to be woefully short in the UK and the warmer climate suits me and my aches and pains much better. Family visitors claim their arthritic aches are eased when visiting. That said the Winter here seems long in a house without proper heating. That's easily rectified though. 

What has that got to do with this post ,?

On 16/10/2020 at 02:28, MARYROSE02 said:

When I was a nipper I loved the ice and snow but as an older adult I came to fear it. I hated driving in snow and ice and was scared of slipping when I was out walking as opposed to looking for the best bit to slide. So, whilst the spring and summer are usually very pleasant I've not real desire to experience winter again, even in Australia, especially in cold homes.

Mary Rose- where do you get the idea that we get lots of ice and snow from ?

We haven't had any seriously wintry weather since 2011 

I should imagine the south coast area where you are from has had it even better 

It was miserable yesterday , here 

But lovely today , again 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skani said:

Probably reacting to a couple of posts at the beginning  of this thread which criticised Perth's weather.

Well it certainly wasn't me .

When its seriously dark early - from say jan - march in the u.k  - i always intended to have 3 months in w.a ....we shall see 😉

It doesn't get that cold here now , but I just don't like the winter ....its the dark at 4pm ,that does me .

The coldest month seems to be February these days 

I would have Christmas and the new year in the u.k - then fly out .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

It doesn't get that cold here now , but I just don't like the winter ....its the dark at 4pm ,that does me .

The coldest month seems to be February these days 

I would have Christmas and the new year in the u.k - then fly out .

I think that depends where you live. I received a letter and birthday cards for the kids from in the in laws yesterday , in part of it the MIL has written '' the weather has gone a lot colder now ,in fact we have had the fire on quite a few nights after tea''. It must be cold for them to put the fire on as they are known to be a bit tight with the purse strings,lol

Cal x

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I think that depends where you live. I received a letter and birthday cards for the kids from in the in laws yesterday , in part of it the MIL has written '' the weather has gone a lot colder now ,in fact we have had the fire on quite a few nights after tea''. It must be cold for them to put the fire on as they are known to be a bit tight with the purse strings,lol

Cal x

Very much so.  There is no doubt the further south you are in the UK the nicer the weather will be.  

My elder son is living in Ireland and he says it rains practically every day hence it being dubbed 'the Emerald Isle'.  Apart from the dreich weather he loves it there.  Other son is in New York  -   and I think he's had his fill of bitter winters and stinking hot summers.  One thing about the weather wherever you live, it's never boring.  😄 

• Like 1

A mate of mine was poached by a consultancy firm in the US, he was working in the new WTC building in NY; dream job. Been there less than 2 years and came back this year, he and his wife hated the baking summers and freezing winters. Everyone thinks he's mad but, unless you've been in that situation, you don't know. To some, the weather is the most important factor in their lives, to others it's a sideline consideration. The weather doesn't bother me at all nor does it dictate my moods. But, I appreciate it does for others.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 21:52, bunbury61 said:

What has that got to do with this post ,?

I suppose the question "Is the weather in the UK underrated" in a forum like this implies a comparison with Australian weather (and the implication that some people believe that Aussie weather is "overrated?")

People DO move to Australia because they believe (erroneously or not) that the weather is "better" than in the UK. I don't know if people move to the UK for the weather? I suspect they move to the UK "in spite of the weather " because there are other advantages to living there- close to family, Europe, career?

On 27/09/2020 at 17:13, starlight7 said:

I think it is over rated. Every year you have to put up with grey skies, dampness and just nasty cold. Every single year. I would rather it be stinking hot , personally. When the sun is out it is glorious there, admittedly, but from late October to mid March just needs cancellation. I am told it is a lot warmer now but it looks pretty much the same to me when I check my relatives weather and in fact I think it was warmer in the 1950s and 60 s when I was there.

'Oh to be in England now that April's there' (but not in November or January?!) If England was like April to June for 12 months it would be perfect.

I've been in Surfers Paradise since the middle of July so I've not experienced twelve months of weather  here. Winter was more bearable than in Sydney because it's a touch warmer and my apartment is not cold. I brought a cardigan, a jacket and a hat up with me and I still take the cardigan out in the evenings, partly for air conditioning and partly for the sea breeze.

The sun was hot when I went for a post brunch walk along the seafront and I cope with the heat by trying to stay in during the middle of the day and go for my walks after 4 pm or 5 pm. Even in England in July and August I'd do the same thing, go out on my bike at 4 pm (or tea time in the cricket) to the beach and come home at 9 pm or later.

I wasn't really aware of a change from winter to spring here perhaps because there were already lots of flowers out or because there are not many trees 'coming out'. Damn! I should know what kind of trees - deciduous? I noticed spring in Sydney.

I can't really say that I would love to go back to England at the beginning of November and stay until the end of March but going in April to September has a certain appeal!

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 19:13, bunbury61 said:

Mary Rose- where do you get the idea that we get lots of ice and snow from ?

We haven't had any seriously wintry weather since 2011 

I should imagine the south coast area where you are from has had it even better 

It was miserable yesterday , here 

But lovely today , again 

Full on snow is something of a rarity in the south yes. On the odd days when it did snow I did not like to drive and frosty/icy pavements scared me. The gritting lorries were often out? I can recall finishing work at 2130 and having to defrost my car windows.  I got used to the winters when I went back but now i'm getting older I think I prefer the warmer weather out here. It's now twelve years since I was in the UK, twelve in December I think. I don't like the winters in Sydney although that was more the cold houses. I don't think I'd like to be heading 'home' now to stay till March but as I think I may have said before, I could well imagine spending April to September in England.

On 26/10/2020 at 02:47, MARYROSE02 said:

'Oh to be in England now that April's there' (but not in November or January?!) If England was like April to June for 12 months it would be perfect.

I've been in Surfers Paradise since the middle of July so I've not experienced twelve months of weather  here. Winter was more bearable than in Sydney because it's a touch warmer and my apartment is not cold. I brought a cardigan, a jacket and a hat up with me and I still take the cardigan out in the evenings, partly for air conditioning and partly for the sea breeze.

The sun was hot when I went for a post brunch walk along the seafront and I cope with the heat by trying to stay in during the middle of the day and go for my walks after 4 pm or 5 pm. Even in England in July and August I'd do the same thing, go out on my bike at 4 pm (or tea time in the cricket) to the beach and come home at 9 pm or later.

I wasn't really aware of a change from winter to spring here perhaps because there were already lots of flowers out or because there are not many trees 'coming out'. Damn! I should know what kind of trees - deciduous? I noticed spring in Sydney.

I can't really say that I would love to go back to England at the beginning of November and stay until the end of March but going in April to September has a certain appeal!

And europe on your doorstep ....if we ever get back up and running 

Madrid - Barcelona- valencia seville ,- cadiz - porto and Lisbon next on the agenda 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 19:53, Red Rose said:

Never too hot, never too cold, doesn’t rain that much (not like Vancouver anyway), hardly snows, September is always beautifully sunny, we do have occasional flooding but nothing extreme. If nothing else, it is fairly variable. I lived in Perth, WA for a couple of years and granted it’s a lot sunnier but the weather there was mind numbingly boring because every day was the same: blue sky, no clouds, big yellow blazing ball of sun, day after day after day!!!

Our summers seem to be getting longer and hotter.
This year round our way, it has been warm and quite humid most of the time from May to October.  

• Like 1