Is the UK’s weather massively underrated?

Red Rose

Never too hot, never too cold, doesn’t rain that much (not like Vancouver anyway), hardly snows, September is always beautifully sunny, we do have occasional flooding but nothing extreme. If nothing else, it is fairly variable. I lived in Perth, WA for a couple of years and granted it’s a lot sunnier but the weather there was mind numbingly boring because every day was the same: blue sky, no clouds, big yellow blazing ball of sun, day after day after day!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I lived in Perth, it's nice to have seasons here in the UK. The weather this year has been fab, it's fantastic this week, got up at 7am this morning and walked the dogs in shorts and t-shirt; not bad for the middle of September. It will change to autumn soon but, by the time it does, I'll be ready for it. Then winter and Xmas. I've been in shorts since mid-March, I'll take that no problem.

The weather has surprised me in the (near) 18 months we've been back, I don't know whether it is better now than when we left in 2008 or just whether we were moaning for nothing. Either way, the weather here is absolutely not a negative IMO.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Never too hot, never too cold, doesn’t rain that much (not like Vancouver anyway), hardly snows, September is always beautifully sunny, we do have occasional flooding but nothing extreme. If nothing else, it is fairly variable. I lived in Perth, WA for a couple of years and granted it’s a lot sunnier but the weather there was mind numbingly boring because every day was the same: blue sky, no clouds, big yellow blazing ball of sun, day after day after day!!!

I think it very much depends on which part of the UK you are talking about.  For example parts of the west coast of Scotland and the Highlands have had awful weather recently.  Torrential  rain causing landslides.  It's a fact that the east of England and south east England has the better climate.  A friend in Wales said her little village was flooded recently too.

Here on the north west coast of Tassie it very rarely reaches 30C during summer and no ice or snow in the winter.  Other parts of Tassie has different weather.  Hotter in the summer and harsher winters.  We get four very distinct seasons too.  It's spring now and everything is bursting into life.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 4

Yes, it is massively underrated by the British!   The British attitude is "hot weather good, cold weather bad", which is why Australia is seen as a paradise.  It's only when you have to live in a hot climate that you realise that (a) working in hot weather isn't nearly as much fun as holidaying in it, and (b) it is actually possible to be too hot.  

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, it is massively underrated by the British!   The British attitude is "hot weather good, cold weather bad", which is why Australia is seen as a paradise.  It's only when you have to live in a hot climate that you realise that (a) working in hot weather isn't nearly as much fun as holidaying in it, and (b) it is actually possible to be too hot.  

Hmmm, this sounds increadibly familiar to what I hear from most people back home, and I used to be a part of that cohort.

I've learnt that the grass isn't always greener (or better) on the other side.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 3

On 16/09/2020 at 01:29, Canada2Australia said:

Hmmm, this sounds increadibly familiar to what I hear from most people back home, and I used to be a part of that cohort.

True..when we left U.K. we thought we would be out in the Perth sun every day, but sadly the novelty wore off within weeks.  We are out far more in the U.K.  Live up on a hill above a beautiful village, amazing country walks, forest walks, great village pub serving great beer and home cooked food and in winter they have a rip roaring open fire on the go and I love nothing more than sitting by that fire with a brandy or a malt whisky and pint of Tennents on a cold evening.  A short drive away, we have a big town with a 24 hour supermarket, great pubs, live venues, great shops, clubs for our hobbies (impossible to find down there). After 8 years on a baking hot suburb bored to death,  the U.K.feels like the greatest place ever.

• Like 11

When I moved to Brisbane 13 years ago, a primary motivation was the climate. I loved it at first and still enjoy the winters here. I have been back to SE UK a number of times, including once for a year. I was never really hampered by the weather in the UK  (once too chicken to drive in light snow). A key reason for me to return to UK now would be climate. I dread the summer here and all the constraints it imposes (aircon, driving, staying inside). The idea of throwing on sturdy boots and a warm jacket to go for a brisk walk followed by some decent beer in a welcoming pub now seems like a distant fantasy. I never dreamed UK winters could be preferable to Qld summers! I think I needed to get my craving for heat out of my system and would love to retire back home but sadly trapped here by family commitments 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

When I moved to Brisbane 13 years ago, a primary motivation was the climate. I loved it at first and still enjoy the winters here. I have been back to SE UK a number of times, including once for a year. I was never really hampered by the weather in the UK  (once too chicken to drive in light snow). A key reason for me to return to UK now would be climate. I dread the summer here and all the constraints it imposes (aircon, driving, staying inside). The idea of throwing on sturdy boots and a warm jacket to go for a brisk walk followed by some decent beer in a welcoming pub now seems like a distant fantasy. I never dreamed UK winters could be preferable to Qld summers! I think I needed to get my craving for heat out of my system and would love to retire back home but sadly trapped here by family commitments 

I agree about the Queensland winters, they are gorgeous.  Sorry to hear you're stuck.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2020 at 19:53, Red Rose said:

Its a bit of a myth that it rains all the time - whenever they show london , in a British film , its always bloody raining 😀

It is today - but we have just had a lovely week of 22c plus .

We were watching Jack Whitehall and his old man in australia last night on netflix 

Sydney - byron Bay, and uluru - plenty of rain on his trip .

The weather has definitely changed since I was a child in the u.k .

Maybe we will get a large dose of snow in the west mids this year ? - haven't seen any major bouts  for a while 

• Like 2

I think it is over rated. Every year you have to put up with grey skies, dampness and just nasty cold. Every single year. I would rather it be stinking hot , personally. When the sun is out it is glorious there, admittedly, but from late October to mid March just needs cancellation. I am told it is a lot warmer now but it looks pretty much the same to me when I check my relatives weather and in fact I think it was warmer in the 1950s and 60 s when I was there.

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I think it is over rated. Every year you have to put up with grey skies, dampness and just nasty cold. Every single year. I would rather it be stinking hot , personally. When the sun is out it is glorious there, admittedly, but from late October to mid March just needs cancellation. I am told it is a lot warmer now but it looks pretty much the same to me when I check my relatives weather and in fact I think it was warmer in the 1950s and 60 s when I was there.

I dont think so - some really decent weather now - lovely today , again .

Hard to beat , really .

If you have that opinion of the u.k weather - carry on 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I don't have to put up with this, I accept the UK climate for what it is and get on with life. Today is beautiful warm sunshine and I've just spent two hours in the garden gathering up autumnal leaves, wondering why the cherry tree is trying to bloom for the second time this year. Next week it might be wet and windy but I'll be just as happy walking along the beach wrapped up to stay warm and dry. October to March the daylight hours are shorter, but life doesn't have to stop because it's cold or dark outside - I've some great memories of sitting in the summerhouse in winter, rugged up and sharing a nice  bottle  of red with friends. There's a lot to be said for the temperate nature of the UK climate and, while it may not suit everyone, personally I do think it's under rated. T x  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is what it is. Put it this way, people in the UK moan about the weather, people in WA moaned about the weather. Whatever your motivations are for moving to the other side of the world, I'm not sure the weather should be one of them. Personally, I don't think it's enough.

• Like 3

On 16/09/2020 at 02:53, Red Rose said:

Apart from winter when it rains a lot and can be quite cold. Even have to wear a jacket sometimes.

Summers coming though, can't wait. Don't miss the English weather one bit, too unpredictable. Mind you we did live near Stockport and i'm from Chesterfield originally. Better down South weather wise.

11 hours ago, s713 said:

It is what it is. Put it this way, people in the UK moan about the weather, people in WA moaned about the weather. Whatever your motivations are for moving to the other side of the world, I'm not sure the weather should be one of them. Personally, I don't think it's enough.

That was our main reason. When my wifes Dad asked why we wanted to move to Perth and I said better weather I think he was a bit worried.😂

On 16/09/2020 at 08:29, Canada2Australia said:

We've been in Perth since 92 and still think the grass is a lot greener here. Metaphorically speaking obviously, lot greener in the UK because of the rain. Reminds me, I have to test the retick tonight🙂

44 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Apart from winter when it rains a lot and can be quite cold. Even have to wear a jacket sometimes.

Summers coming though, can't wait. Don't miss the English weather one bit, too unpredictable. Mind you we did live near Stockport and i'm from Chesterfield originally. Better down South weather wise.

That is true. When you leave the house in the morning in Perth you know which clothes you need to take with you.

In the UK you generally need to take a jacket just in case.

Although forecasting is getting better.

Personally I think the weather for both has good and bad. It's the lack of sunlight in the UK in winter I struggle with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

That is true. When you leave the house in the morning in Perth you know which clothes you need to take with you.

In the UK you generally need to take a jacket just in case.

Although forecasting is getting better.

Personally I think the weather for both has good and bad. It's the lack of sunlight in the UK in winter I struggle with.

It used to get me down a bit. Used to play squash a lot so the weather doesn't matter at all for that game. Used to run too but it wasn't enjoyable sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2020 at 17:15, tea4too said:

I don't have to put up with this, I accept the UK climate for what it is and get on with life. Today is beautiful warm sunshine and I've just spent two hours in the garden gathering up autumnal leaves, wondering why the cherry tree is trying to bloom for the second time this year. Next week it might be wet and windy but I'll be just as happy walking along the beach wrapped up to stay warm and dry. October to March the daylight hours are shorter, but life doesn't have to stop because it's cold or dark outside - I've some great memories of sitting in the summerhouse in winter, rugged up and sharing a nice  bottle  of red with friends. There's a lot to be said for the temperate nature of the UK climate and, while it may not suit everyone, personally I do think it's under rated. T x  

Somewhere close to you tea4too ? 

Aberaeron- during the week - the eldest is still there 

The youngest has took the train this morning to London- shopping with lunch at harrods .

She looked a million dollars when she left - lovely fitted beige mac and boots 

Pleased that she's living her life - even under these conditions 

IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg

• Like 6