Best cars?

Aussiebird

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

Just talking today about buying cars in Australia, can anyone recommend cheap, reliable makes and the ones to avoid? 

Many thanks!! Xx

How cheap is cheap?  You can pick up a bargain at John Hughes.   Are you looking to buy new or used?  My son got a used Golf GTI for $15,0000 (and traded our old car).

Since 2003 I've had 3 Mitsubishi Lancers, and a Toyota Camry. After 2 Lancers I thought I'd try something different. Nothing wrong with the Camry, but I just like Lancers more. Low running costs, comfortable to drive, and they also look rather sporty. My current one is 9 years old and cost me $6,000. They are also available in colours other than black, white, and grey! 😄

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ali said:

How cheap is cheap?  You can pick up a bargain at John Hughes.   Are you looking to buy new or used?  My son got a used Golf GTI for $15,0000 (and traded our old car).

Probably around 10,000 (depending on exchange rate at the time) will be a used car.  Is John Hughes a reputable seller? 

X

8 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Probably just a saloon/hatchback type of car to start with.

Saloon??  It’s a sedan here.  A saloon is an American bar.  A Suzuki is a very good brand, something like an SX4.  Reliable and fuel efficient 

• Haha 1

Good following this thread! We’ve been here since March and still not bought one yet - we’ve got the use of DS’ second car, a Magna wagon which is over 20 years old and rather beaten up but (fingers crossed) it’s going ok at the mo. He has another huge great ute which we can also use if we want. 

For me the most frustrating thing is the dearth of manuals. Ok so at my age I should be a good little old lady and embrace an automatic but the girl racer in me just loves to flick through a 6 speed box. We were a Volvo family for years and if the wallet would stretch that far I would get another. Subaru is also in my list of potentials. We might end up with a Hyundai i30 or i35 though. I really don’t know what I want and at this moment I can’t be bothered looking. Canberra has a lot of “cheap” cars at the moment which rather distort the market but they’re repairable write offs with hail damage and I’m not sure I want to head that way. At least you won’t have that problem in Perth!

Must admit I’d never given much thought to a Lancer but we did have a nice little Fiesta at one stage and I was very fond of my UK Astra (15 years and doing well).   It’s all too hard! Let us know how you go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Never heard of them. They aren't in Melbourne.

No but they're massive in WA. We bought our first car, a hyundai, from John Hughes and met the guy. He came out and had a chat with us, seemed genuinely interested in our new arrival story. Obviously wanted to sell us a car too.

They were good though and we had the car serviced there a few times. Always good service and helpful.

We have a 2005 Nissan X-Trail. Done 260,000 km and still going well. Nice size, comfortable, good for families, big boot, 4 wheel drive, automatic. We got the TI model and love the extras like leather seats, climate control, good sound system. Would definitey buy another. There are a lot of second hand ones around and you can get a decent one for not much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

No but they're massive in WA. We bought our first car, a hyundai, from John Hughes and met the guy. He came out and had a chat with us, seemed genuinely interested in our new arrival story. Obviously wanted to sell us a car too.

They were good though and we had the car serviced there a few times. Always good service and helpful.

We have a 2005 Nissan X-Trail. Done 260,000 km and still going well. Nice size, comfortable, good for families, big boot, 4 wheel drive, automatic. We got the TI model and love the extras like leather seats, climate control, good sound system. Would definitey buy another. There are a lot of second hand ones around and you can get a decent one for not much.

Good Advice then as long as Aussie Bird is moving to Perth.

My father has a Honda jazz which I borrowed when we were last in Perth. It was a nice car and I quite enjoyed driving it. Nothing special, but I could find nothing about it that I didn't like. And that's unusual for me. There's normally something about a car that bugs me.

Edited by newjez

We bought a new VW Gold mid range spec for $24k a couple of years ago. That came with 0% finance. The equivalent car in the UK would cost at least $35k. Peace of mind of a new vehicle with 5 years warranty and free servicing was welcome.

Edited by DukeNinja