Been in Oz 8 months and struggling - advice please!

samt4

3 hours ago, bug family said:

and now have rheumatoid disease for life which is an autoimmune disorder that can be caused by stress.

While rheumatoid disease can certainly be exacerbated by stress it is thought to be caused by several other factors so I think it's a little unfair blaming it on living in Australia. You could just have easily developed it in the UK.

But I do agree that the heat can be an issue, certainly for me (I don't have RA but something similar)

Edited by Drumbeat
addition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Drumbeat said:

While rheumatoid disease can certainly be exacerbated by stress it is thought to be caused by several other factors so I think it's a little unfair blaming it on living in Australia. You could just have easily developed it in the UK.

Agree, that is drawing a long bow 

@bug family oh so true. Being stuck. I find that I think about the UK so much and it hasn’t got any easier - after 13 years. Even with my beloved mother passing very recently back in the UK - I’ve still the yearning to go back. Just keep dreaming ( as that’s what it is) - “ when we get a small stone cottage in England .....” trouble is - the years  whizz by and I am wasting them by letting this pervasive sadness stop me fully enjoying what there is here.  How I wish I was one of the ex pats who fall in love with Oz and never look back but there is so much I miss. As mentioned - I never left because I disliked the UK - I continue to miss what I previously loved. There’s a sense of bubbling panic when I think - we’ve one short life and  I’m not living the life I would like to live. As mentioned - many factors that prevent me going back. Being ‘ stuck’ is an apt description.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

Who selected Perth and why?

For this poster Bulya, I don’t think it would matter where he is.  For some, the only way of happiness is living where you feel you belong. I think for those who feel like that, they could be in Paradise but the beauty that would surround them would mean nothing, paradise is where you feel happy I guess. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

For this poster Bulya, I don’t think it would matter where he is.  For some, the only way of happiness is living where you feel you belong. I think for those who feel like that, they could be in Paradise but the beauty that would surround them would mean nothing, paradise is where you feel happy I guess. 

It isn't just Australia of course  ....   there are plenty of folk who migrated to NZ and Canada who never felt settled and yearn to return to the UK.  A fair number of my forebears migrated to the USA and Canada from 1900 to approx 1920.  My sister and a cousin have the original letters which were written from our forebears to parents and siblings back home in Scotland.  Some of them are heart wrenching as the writer is obviously very homesick.   Apart from the homesickness some of them write about, the letters are a real window into how life was for families who migrated at that time.  

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Toots said:

It isn't just Australia of course  ....   there are plenty of folk who migrated to NZ and Canada who never felt settled and yearn to return to the UK.  A fair number of my forebears migrated to the USA and Canada from 1900 to approx 1920.  My sister and a cousin have the original letters which were written from our forebears to parents and siblings back home in Scotland.  Some of them are heart wrenching as the writer is obviously very homesick.   Apart from the homesickness some of them write about, the letters are a real window into how life was for families who migrated at that time.  

Wow, it's amazing to be able to peer into that era.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Toots said:

Wow! That's interesting as I've often thought I might not have felt so homesick  if we had migrated to Canada given the similarity in seasons and it's in the same hemisphere! - maybe the migrant who still has theur heart in the UK will feel homesick anywhere. I remember first moving over to Ireland - from England - and feeling so homesick and that's only a 40 minute flight away from England! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, proud preston said:

Wow! That's interesting as I've often thought I might not have felt so homesick  if we had migrated to Canada given the similarity in seasons and it's in the same hemisphere! - maybe the migrant who still has theur heart in the UK will feel homesick anywhere. I remember first moving over to Ireland - from England - and feeling so homesick and that's only a 40 minute flight away from England! 

Yes the country is irrelevant, it’s just anywhere that’s not home and you can’t manage to make it home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, proud preston said:

Exactly!  You would probably feel the same no matter where you moved to.  As far as seasons are concerned the further south in Australia you go the more distinct the seasons are.  Tassie has 4 very distinct seasons.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

But I do agree that the heat can be an issue, certainly for me (I don't have RA but something similar)

Hi Drumbeat...................Hence the reason I put CAN be caused by stress and not IS caused by,  you are right in that there are a number of different triggers, as you are probably aware it is an autoimmune type 2 reaction, known as immunity to self, the causes can be genetic in nature, or environmental,  but also faulty point mutations on chromosomal DNA, however continual stress has been identified as a causative factor in the release of and secretion of inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin 1, and 6 and tumour necrosis factor (TNF), the release of cortisol from the adrenal medulla and the control of which, via the Hypo thalamus, is thought to mediate this response to inflammation, however this still leads to an increase in synovial fluid production from synovitis of the synovial membrane in the small joints this is  particularly debilitating. ............at no point am I blaming Australia for this, I am saying that in my opinion, stress has caused this ...😀...please feel free to discuss further with your new best buddy bulya 😂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

Who selected Perth and why?

My wife had previously visited Australia (different parts including Perth) with her parents on a couple of occasions,  so when I met her and we where still in the dating phase (seems like a life time ago now 🙄) she mentioned that she was intending eventually to emigrate to Australia.....seemed like a good idea at the time so I agreed.........but then, i would have agreed to living in Siberia at that stage as I was still in the 'trying to look attractive ' phase 😂 ..................the why?...it had a beach and the sun shone, plus we wanted an adventure in life I suppose, all pretty vague reasons I suppose 😐

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bug family said:

Hi Drumbeat...................Hence the reason I put CAN be caused by stress and not IS caused by,  you are right in that there are a number of different triggers, as you are probably aware it is an autoimmune type 2 reaction, known as immunity to self, the causes can be genetic in nature, or environmental,  but also faulty point mutations on chromosomal DNA, however continual stress has been identified as a causative factor in the release of and secretion of inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin 1, and 6 and tumour necrosis factor (TNF), the release of cortisol from the adrenal medulla and the control of which, via the Hypo thalamus, is thought to mediate this response to inflammation, however this still leads to an increase in synovial fluid production from synovitis of the synovial membrane in the small joints this is  particularly debilitating. ............at no point am I blaming Australia for this, I am saying that in my opinion, stress has caused this ...😀...please feel free to discuss further with your new best buddy bulya 😂

No, the weather is glorious and the birds are singing - I'm heading out to enjoy the beautiful Perth hills 🌼

9 hours ago, bug family said:

My wife had previously visited Australia (different parts including Perth) with her parents on a couple of occasions,  so when I met her and we where still in the dating phase (seems like a life time ago now 🙄) she mentioned that she was intending eventually to emigrate to Australia.....seemed like a good idea at the time so I agreed.........but then, i would have agreed to living in Siberia at that stage as I was still in the 'trying to look attractive ' phase 😂 ..................the why?...it had a beach and the sun shone, plus we wanted an adventure in life I suppose, all pretty vague reasons I suppose 😐

Australia is built and organised around the East coast.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bug family said:

Won't it be stressful uprooting and moving to England ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, proud preston said:

the years  whizz by and I am wasting them by letting this pervasive sadness stop me fully enjoying what there is here.  How I wish I was one of the ex pats who fall in love with Oz and never look back but there is so much I miss. 

@Bulya, have a read of what Proud Preston says here.   For people who suffer from this terrible type of  homesickness, finding the right part of Australia will never make any difference.  They just feel like a piece of them is missing if they're not in their homeland.  It's not logical or sensible or curable.  I feel sorry for people who have this sickness and I'm very glad I'm not one of them.

• Like 3

On 20/01/2020 at 09:00, Johnny Kash said:

Were in the process of topping up our 6 years which will get me to 30 years so not far off a full state pension.   Id be interested to know if that is six years at a time, i.e. can you top up 6 years, then 6 years down the line top up another 6??

I guess for those expats who left UK at an early age and have been out of the country for that long then it might be difficult to 'catch up' as it were, especially if you weren't aware of the chance to still contribute from overseas.

Anyone topping up their NI contributions be sure to contact NI to ensure that any contributions/years made will count towards increasing their state pension. Some years count and some don’t. I paid the cheaper years, then found out these didn’t make a jot of difference to my state pension - they will not tell you if this is the case and they’ll just bank the money. I only found this out by chatting to a financial journalist! I’ve managed to get payments made  re-allocated to years that will increase my pension but not without a huge amount of effort and complaint. Don’t just get an online statement like I did and pay off amounts but check first. I do wish they would tell people this - it seems almost fraudulent.

35 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

Anyone topping up their NI contributions be sure to contact NI to ensure that any contributions/years made will count towards increasing their state pension. Some years count and some don’t....Don’t just get an online statement like I did and pay off amounts but check first. I do wish they would tell people this - it seems almost fraudulent.

This is why I always say, contact the International Pensions Centre and ask for a pension forecast.  They'll send you the pension forecast and give you details of what contributions you can pay to improve it.   

On 17/02/2020 at 06:17, proud preston said:

We would have probably gone to Canada if we hadn't got in here. My wife used to live in Toronto and did nearly all her school years there. She loved it then but said it gets really cold in winter. Neither of us fancied that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bug family said:

Sounds like you've been on doctor google.

20 hours ago, bug family said:

They're the same reasons we moved. Coming from near Stockport they are all very relevant.

My wifes Dad asked why we wanted to go and that's what I said just about. Good weather and we can live close to a beach. I think he was hoping I had given it more thought.😂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bulya said:

Australia is built and organised around the East coast.  

Yep. Don't bother coming to Perth folks, we're full. Rush hour is getting too busy.

Not that it bothers me in retirement. Run this morning, swim maybe later, golf tomorrow. Makes me wonder how I found time to go to work.😎

• Like 2