Returning to UK

KatyNick

34 minutes ago, KatyNick said:

Hi ... I know that emigrating to Oz is successful for a lot of people, but got those who it doesn’t work out for ... do you regret returning to the UK? 

Hi, welcome to the forum.  I've moved your post to UK chat.  We've had and still have, lots of members who for one reason or another have returned to their country of origin.  Some haven't looked back whilst others have felt the pull of both places.  There are a lot of stories in this part of the forum and if you're feeling like you're wanting to return home, then there'll be an abundance of support too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I tried moving back to the UK and didn’t settle, BUT I was very happy in Australia and only moved back because my husband was keen. So it was hardly surprising really

We’re in a similar boat as Marisawright. We’ve tried twice over the past two years to settle back in the UK, but it’s not for us, we ‘re returning to Aus 2020. We love both places so we feel like both are home, but the UK is just not “our place” anymore for many reasons.

We only came back really because we were at a new & different stage in our lives and just wanted a change, well, it’s not a change that suits us, but having said, we’re enjoying our time here but it’s a long term prospect anymore.

• Like 3

No, not regretted it for one instant but our circumstances are such that we are now preparing to return to Australia (homeless and no longer needed to care for elderly relatives) and I'm not looking forward to it one bit but at least I'm not throwing up at the thought any more. It's been the most amazing 8 years and quite honestly I got my life back - lost almost half my body weight, got fit, laughed and belonged. Just hope I can view the move on to Australia as another adventure. Would do it again in a heartbeat even though 24/7 care of nonagenarians is far from being a picnic in the park.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No regrets. Never looked back after coming home. More freedom, better career, better location, more hobbies, more friends, my family, better food, better telly, better beer and pubs, great healthcare, my state pension, the list goes on....I wouldn’t swap my life in a beautiful village with green open space, views and fresh clean air to go back live in a dry stinking hot suburb in a sweat box house where you can hardly breathe or get a decent nights sleep.....a sandpit garden,  trapped behind a 6ft grey colour bond fence doing almost the exactly same things day after day.  There was nowhere to go.   Really ? swap my life in U.K. for that, absolutely no chance.  11 years back now and really grateful for the life I’ve got here. Australia was not bad or anything but U.K. is a truly fantastic country to live in.   Think carefully before you throw all this away if you’re not sure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

No regrets. Never looked back after coming home. More freedom, better career, better location, more hobbies, more friends, my family, better food, better telly, better beer and pubs, great healthcare, my state pension, the list goes on....I wouldn’t swap my life in a beautiful village with green open space, views and fresh clean air to go back live in a dry stinking hot suburb in a sweat box house where you can hardly breathe or get a decent nights sleep.....a sandpit garden,  trapped behind a 6ft grey colour bond fence doing almost the exactly same things day after day.  There was nowhere to go.   Really ? swap my life in U.K. for that, absolutely no chance.  11 years back now and really grateful for the life I’ve got here. Australia was not bad or anything but U.K. is a truly fantastic country to live in.   Think carefully before you throw all this away if you’re not sure.

.............  but it was your choice to live in a dry, stinking hot suburb in a sweat box where you could hardly breathe or get a decent nights sleep.  The other day it was nearly 40C in Perth and 14C where I live.  I choose to live here and I am very happy if I wasn't I would move    .................  probably back to Scotland.  

Good you are happy and appreciating where you live  now though.  👍

• Like 3

We moved back to UK and enjoyed the first 3 months but once the novelty of being back wore off we didn’t settle. We moved back to oz a few years ago. Going back and forwards was a huge waste of money but needed to be done to realise oz is home now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Booma said:

We moved back to UK and enjoyed the first 3 months but once the novelty of being back wore off we didn’t settle. We moved back to oz a few years ago. Going back and forwards was a huge waste of money but needed to be done to realise oz is home now.

We’ve doing the same as Booma but staying a bit longer. Yes it costs a lot of money going backwards & forwards, but to us it’s money very well spent. When we go back to Aus next year, we both know 100% it’s the right decision.

• Like 2

Back 4 year no regets. Don't think of Australia at all now, would like to be able to visit but won't for a few more years due to time and money. Also enjoying visiting places in the UK and Europe. Can't see me ever living back there but open minded as you never know what life is going to bring. I feel like I fit in here and i've had a wonderful 4 years full of the good stuff in life - yes it's hard, yes winter can suck a bit but overall, love it 🙂

• Like 5

It's not that Australia didn't work out for us, we just wanted to move back. For our circumstances, the UK suits us a lot more. We never moved to Australia in the first place because we hated the UK, we always had a good life here anyway. We were just following the wife's family, most of her family live in Perth. After 10 years, we were fed up and returned, like I say, the UK suits us more and what we're into. No regrets whatsoever. Good luck.

• Like 7

I'm similar to s713, Mum brought us here because her Sister was here, who brought their mum here, Mum didn't want to particulary come but she had to be where her mum was. Her Sister is a bit of a controlling type. Anyhoo, We both don't hate Australia, but we both have never felt it is home, and hell if we still don't feel like that after 26 years, well it's time to go 'Home' and that's what we are doing.  Her Mum, My grandma passed in 2016, my ex pushed myself and the kids away in 2018. No reason to stay here anymore. I know we haven't gone back just yet(soon), but I can tell you we won't regret it, not even one bit. 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 4

On 12/11/2019 at 00:21, Toots said:

.............  but it was your choice to live in a dry, stinking hot suburb in a sweat box where you could hardly breathe or get a decent nights sleep.  The other day it was nearly 40C in Perth and 14C where I live.  I choose to live here and I am very happy if I wasn't I would move    .................  probably back to Scotland.  

Good you are happy and appreciating where you live  now though.  👍

Correct, totally correct but it was the place to be for oil industry guys if you wanted to make money.  If Tasmania had offered a similar salary I might have gone there. But on paper Tas had no appeal for us.....an island, remote, totally cut off, even more isolated than Perth, no jobs. Now I’m half an hour from a very large town and half an hour from a big city in the other direction and a major U.K. domestic airport.  But the best thing is, I live in the U.K. and the U.K. is right in the middle of the whole world.  

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 01:17, Booma said:

Going back and forth will devour your savings. 

On 12/11/2019 at 09:26, AliQ said:

We’ve doing the same as Booma but staying a bit longer. Yes it costs a lot of money going backwards & forwards, but to us it’s money very well spent. When we go back to Aus next year, we both know 100% it’s the right decision.

As long as you don’t hit the same problems that drove you out last time.  They will always still be there.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:06, thinker78 said:

Back 4 year no regets. Don't think of Australia at all now, would like to be able to visit but won't for a few more years due to time and money. Also enjoying visiting places in the UK and Europe. Can't see me ever living back there but open minded as you never know what life is going to bring. I feel like I fit in here and i've had a wonderful 4 years full of the good stuff in life - yes it's hard, yes winter can suck a bit but overall, love it 🙂

In a strange way, I love the winter.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 11:08, thinker78 said:

I should say i was there almost 9 years and like a lot of people was bored in the end. And no, I'm NOT a boring person but it was more of the same each year, and I am never bored here. 

Yes same here......there was the boredom down there. It was excruciating at times.  You don’t realise just how good we have it in UK until you go away all the way out there and find yourself cut of from everything.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

As long as you don’t hit the same problems that drove you out last time.  They will always still be there.

We were not driven out by any problems, just reached a new stage in life and wanted a change of country after 28 years.

We’re retuning to a different state, and already been there to have “a look see”

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

In a strange way, I love the winter.

I like the winter more since we moved back. I think I appreciate the big differences between the seasons a bit more. I live on the southern edge of the Scottish Highlands, and we had our first sight of snow on the hills by my house the other day. It's cold, but clear with blue skies and bright sunshine at the moment - my perfect kind of weather! I can get rugged up and go out in the day, and I can spend cosy evenings snuggled up on the sofa with the log burner going. I think winter is a time for cosying in, reflecting on the year that has passed, and looking forward to the new year ahead. It feels like the days are very short, and they will get shorter still, but it's actually only a few weeks until it switches over and will start to get lighter again.

• Like 8

I love the winter too - there's rarely a day that you cant get out and walk, it's just a matter of appropriate clothing! I love Christmas here - the Christmas markets, the misty evenings and carol singers, - just great!!!  I'm always surprised at how quickly the days get lighter after the shortest day - and when they do get longer it's such a lovely feeling.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Correct, totally correct but it was the place to be for oil industry guys if you wanted to make money.  If Tasmania had offered a similar salary I might have gone there. But on paper Tas had no appeal for us.....an island, remote, totally cut off, even more isolated than Perth, no jobs. Now I’m half an hour from a very large town and half an hour from a big city in the other direction and a major U.K. domestic airport.  But the best thing is, I live in the U.K. and the U.K. is right in the middle of the whole world.  

We chose Tasmania for the climate and believe it or not the perceived isolation.  I'd be happy living in the Hebrides or Shetland.  😀  I guess I am a fair bit older than you so I don't hanker after a 'buzzy' lifestyle.  I don't even like going to Launceston very much and haven't been to Hobart yet.  Used to visit Hobart when we came  on holiday but now I prefer the wide open spaces - the mountains and forests.  I don't feel totally cut off though.  In the nearly 6 years we've been here I have been to the mainland a couple of times, back to the UK, NZ twice, the USA and 4 Asian countries.  

My sister is coming for a holiday soon.  She lives right in the centre of Edinburgh and loves it.  That would drive me nuts.  We are all different.  😉

• Like 3