Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

Labor are always saying No to whatever the government wants to do as a general tactic, so it wouldn't really surprise if they do again.

They run the risk of being seen as un Australian though. These laws are meant to protect Australia against potential terrorists so I think they are more likely to support the changed.

Tend to agree.  Shorten has good reason not to allow too much daylight between himself and Turnbull on these issues, even if Turnbull is moving to the right  in order to fend off the Abbott wing in his own party, as well as One Nation, Cory Bernardi etc.  PR's can be deported if shown to be involved in terrorist and/or criminal activity (think Apex gang in Melbourne for example) ; Citizens can't.   So why not allow four years instead of one year when assessing citizenship applications from PRs?  (Any one know how long it takes in the UK?) That is what most Australians are probably going to focus on.  Possibly some watering down of the proposed English language requirements - unless a lot more resources are thrown in to help people learn English.   Resolutely monolingual themselves, most Australians don't understand how difficult English is to learn.   Personally, I don't care for the way Turnbull is throwing the "Australian patriot" bit around; far too redolent of Trump's America.  Positively "un-Australian".  Politicians always want to drape themselves in the flag though.  Abbott used to prefer at least six as a backdrop.

22 minutes ago, Parley said:

Labor are always saying No to whatever the government wants to do as a general tactic, so it wouldn't really surprise if they do again.

They run the risk of being seen as un Australian though. These laws are meant to protect Australia against potential terrorists so I think they are more likely to support the changed.

Problem is they're already here if the plan is to catch them at the citizenship stage! I don't see how these changes are going to protect the country or its inhabitants. Surely if that's the intention it would make more sense to spend more time vetting PR/Student/Work Visa applications more closely?

These changes make little sense unless the plan is to score some cheap points from the don't care/don't know lobby....if it seems like a good idea it must be!

Most that enter the country on a skilled migration visa have to wait 4 years anyway...so no real change there (mostly impacts 457s it seems).

If Dutton gets his way citizens could be deported in situations where they hold dual passports!

It's a real concern when a politician lobbies for unchecked power! It's perhaps time for Dutton to move on!

4 minutes ago, ian360 said:

Does anybody know if British citizens will be expected to take the English test when applying for citizenship?

It seems so....only exception I'm aware is for Kiwis

Edited by Spinny

4 minutes ago, Spinny said:

That seems a bit strange. I grew up in England, went to an English university, worked as an English teacher for many years - yet, I have to take a test to prove that I can speak English? Hahahaha! Sorry, it seems kinda funny if you think about it.

On 2017-6-4 at 15:48, seraphim said:

No one this affects can vote, so politicians are going to focus on the things that will earn them re-election from those who can vote them out.  Where is their incentive to fight for people without a voice in parliament? If/when those affected finally make it through the process in the future, the chances they'll then bother campaigning still for those still stuck in the system are slim I'd imagine. As migrants, ,this is incredibly frustrating given the time, , investment and commitment given so far to Australia, , and the desire to give more and integrate further/completely.  I assume it would be thrown out but who except migration agents who this must hit hard have the legal knowledge to take this on?

Actually, i'm a citizen now and I can vote and my next step will be kicking our MP in regards to the issue. The problem is that i've obtained the citizenship, but my wife and children moved here a little late than myself, so they became eligible only a month ago (after they had lived here for 4 yrs as PRs obviously). So for me, personally, these new laws are complete bullshit making adverse impact on our family life and plans. My wife's application is being on hold (or in limbo) now.

Edited by ovel
wrong formatting

5 minutes ago, ian360 said:

Does anybody know if British citizens will be expected to take the English test when applying for citizenship?

I don't think so because there is already exception for applicants from english speaking countries like Britain,usa etc  applying for other visas which needs english test for any other applicants.

1 minute ago, Spinny said:

Well, interesting! What exceptions will the Australian government make especially re the English requirement? If they ask us to take IELTS again, it's just like no point for me. I took the IELTS test 7 years ago when I did the Master degree here. The language hurdle for my major is 7 overall. Now, if it asks me to do the test again, what do they want me to prove? After 7 years, my English is getting worse? I really do not see the necessity except taking $300 from my pocket! Again, why does the government think the potential terrorists could not have excellent English? Why do they think the English requirement could be a good hurdle for protect Australia from potential terrorists?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ian360 said:

That seems a bit strange. I grew up in England, went to an English university, worked as an English teacher for many years - yet, I have to take a test to prove that I can speak English? Hahahaha! Sorry, it seems kinda funny if you think about it.

It's beyond funny if that turns out to be the case! It seems a real genius was at work coming up with the latest round of changes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amy Zhang said:

Well, interesting! What exceptions will the Australian government make especially re the English requirement? If they ask us to take IELTS again, it's just like no point for me. I took the IELTS test 7 years ago when I did the Master degree here. The language hurdle for my major is 7 overall. Now, if it asks me to do the test again, what do they want me to prove? After 7 years, my English is getting worse? I really do not see the necessity except taking $300 from my pocket! Again, why does the government think the potential terrorists could not have excellent English? Why do they think the English requirement could be a good hurdle for protect Australia from potential terrorists?

Same applies to the revised test questions they're making a fuss of! Anybody with half a brain will instantly recognize what the appropriate answer should be!

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

It may surprise you to know that not everyone who wants to come here is from an Anglo Saxon background.

Even if they come from the UK that is no guarantee that English is their 1st language.

It does not surprise me - however, you would assume that somebody who was born and grew up in an English speaking country, went through the school education system there and then studied at a university in an English speaking country, probably has a pretty good command of the English language. Therefore, in a case like this, is an English test really necessary?

17 hours ago, Parley said:

It may surprise you to know that not everyone who wants to come here is from an Anglo Saxon background.

Even if they come from the UK that is no guarantee that English is their 1st language.

I still chuckle that anyone with a Canadian passport is exempt from the English requirement.  Anyone who has travelled north of Montreal or Quebec City would come across a lot of people who speak no English at all.

• Like 1

I saw the amendment as below:

Aspiring citizens are currently required to possess a level of 'basic' English. This is indirectly assessed when an applicant sits the citizenship test. Aspiring citizens will now be required to undertake a separate up-front English language test with an accredited provider and achieve a level of 'competent'. There will be exemptions, such as for applicants over 60 years of age or under 16 years of age at the time they applied for citizenship or those with an enduring or permanent mental or physical incapacity. There will be other exemptions from testing, as is currently the case for skilled migration assessments, such as for citizens of the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Canada, the United States of America or New Zealand who hold a valid passport or for applicants who have undertaken specified English language studies at a recognised Australian education institution.

It will be interesting to see if they consider provisional visas differently to temporary visas.  These are partner visas, business skills visas and 489 visas.  Business entrants who are required to invest/ employ/ create economic growth will be pretty uspset at the additional wait before citizenship as well as the other hoops they now have to jump through.  Australia needs good business people and needs them to stay.