Ban unskilled workers wanting UK

Guest The Pom Queen

On 13 April 2017 at 8:37 PM, BacktoDemocracy said:

I'm a bit disconcerted by the number of  careers you seem to have been successful at..

Happy to clarify. 

First child born - Chantel 1986

Left school 1986

Started apprenticship as a welder at Smiths Docks Teeside. Made redundant 6 months later

Joined army. Initial postings around UK, THEN Germany then Falklands then NI

Compassionate discharge from army 1991 as first wife was terminally ill

Atteneded college 1991 to 92 with assistance from army. Undertook 4 A level and a  HND in PPE

1992 started LLB and wife died

1995 Completed LLB and commenced LPC

1996 Commenced articles and hated it. Left and worked for IT company doing an alternative to SAP. Hated it and crap at it. 

1997 Commenced work for recruitment company's as consultant. Initially based in UK then over next four years ended up as regional manager / UK sales manager

2001. Made redundant from recruitment and decided to study again. 

2006 First geology job based in Chilie

2007 Sedond job in China

2007-08 Return to uni and complete masters along with project geoscientist at sponsoring company in Tunisia and Lybia 

2008. Complete masters in lead zinc exploration and head hunted by CBH resources based Sydney. 

2008. GFC hits and 6 months after landing find us on a 457 and facing redundancy. Find job with Anglo Gold Ashanti. in Perth. 

Work on Tropicana project

2010. Gain big promotion due to Tropo. Spend time at Sunrise Dam mine and then as elect global Green Field team roaming the earth for gold. Posted to South Africa, Uganda, DRC. 

Made redundant 2013 when company decide to close global team. 

2013 employed Newcrest Telfer mine as senior geoscientist 

2014 Necrert announce end of Australia based exploration. Redundant.  

2014 Snr Geo / Exploration Manager Tanzania for Global. Successfully managed the JV before running out of budget 

End of 2014. Redundant. 

2014 - 2015struggled to gain work, mainly contracting arsenide geologist and exploration manager for Norseman Gold. 

2015 December. Closed the camp and was one of two last men on site on a sad day for the oldest mine in Oz. 

2016 returned to UK and commenced work as senior Geologist 

now big mouth. Post the same. Or scared? Or just a general keyboard worrier with no substance?

• Like 3

On 13 April 2017 at 9:53 PM, Gbye grey sky said:

A lifetime of successful, highly paid, professional careers across the world yet seemingly not a penny to his name to show for it all.  :/

I expect of course exactly the same detail from yourself, or you are just another keyboard warrior 

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Happy to clarify. 

Left school 1986

Started apprenticship as a welder at Smiths Docks Teeside. Made redundant 6 months later

Atteneded college 1991 to 92 with assistance from army. Undertook 4 A level and a  HND in PPE

1996 Commenced articles and hated it. Left and worked for IT company doing an alternative to SAP. Hated it and crap at it. 

1997 Commenced work for recruitment company's as consultant. Initially based in UK then over next four years ended up as regional manager / UK sales manager

2007 Sedond job in China

2007-08 Return to uni and complete masters along with project geoscientist at sponsoring company in Tunisia and Lybia 

2008. Complete masters in lead zinc exploration and head hunted by CBH resources based Sydney. 

2008. GFC hits and 6 months after landing find us on a 457 and facing redundancy. Find job with Anglo Gold Ashanti. in Perth. 

2010. Gain big promotion due to Tropo. Spend time at Sunrise Dam mine and then as elect global Green Field team roaming the earth for gold. Posted to South Africa, Uganda, DRC. 

2014 Snr Geo / Exploration Manager Tanzania for Global. Successfully managed the JV before running out of budget 

End of 2014. Redundant. 

2014 - 2015struggled to gain work, mainly contracting arsenide geologist and exploration manager for Norseman Gold. 

2015 December. Closed the camp and was one of two last men on site on a sad day for the oldest mine in Oz. 

now big mouth. Post the same. Or scared? Or just a general keyboard worrier with no substance?

Couldn't keep up with that, just did an apprentice bricklayer for 4 years and then got qualified as a Chartered Builder, did that for about 8 years then did a degree and became a Chartered Building Surveyor and ran maintenance and refurbishment departments for large local authorities and housing associations.

Bailed out when funding started to dry up and standards went into free fall and went to Australia, hit the exchange rate right both ways   and now my wife is retraining as a psychotherapist which she would never have been able to do in Australia. 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I expect of course exactly the same detail from yourself, or you are just another keyboard warrior 

Mine is about as boring as it gets.

Left school at 16 in 1977 and started work as a filing clerk.  A couple of promotions later managed a team in an Inland Revenue Collection Team, carried out bailiff work and County Court plaintiff for IR. First marriage 1989, no children.

Took accountancy exams and earned promotion to Inspector of Taxes in 1995.  Divorced in 2001.  Remarried 2003 and only daughter born following year.  Ultimately disillusioned with tax work I took the opportunity of voluntary redundancy in 2008 when my office was being closed and I would otherwise have been relocated.

After a few dead end jobs (the GFC didn't help) fell into an IT software Account Management/Sales role.  Enjoyed this, but the opportunity to emigrate (wife was a skilled migrant in the 1990s who gained citizenship) so took it.

I haven't worked now since last December and actually not looking as contemplating early retirement and being a house husband as I now no longer want full time working and most part time work is uninspiring.  A lifetime of being thrifty is paying off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Couldn't keep up with that, just did an apprentice bricklayer for 4 years and then got qualified as a Chartered Builder, did that for about 8 years then did a degree and became a Chartered Building Surveyor and ran maintenance and refurbishment departments for large local authorities and housing associations.

Bailed out when funding started to dry up and standards went into free fall and went to Australia, hit the exchange rate right both ways   and now my wife is retraining as a psychotherapist which she would never have been able to do in Australia. 

It's all going very well so far

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/britain-set-to-lose-eu-crown-jewels

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Happy to clarify. 

Left school 1986

2007 Sedond job in China

End of 2014. Redundant. 

Sounds like someone desperately searching for some answers somewhere. I understand why you like brexit. It's nice when you can make it all someone else's fault.

5 hours ago, evets said:

WOW @VERYSTORMY what a career path you have had and all those redundancies!

Thats pretty normal for the mining industry here.  Very few jobs are permanent.  Contracts can go from one swing to several years, but you know that when you take the job.

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Why couldn't your wife retrain as a psychotherapist here?  I know a woman in Bowral, NSW who retrained as a psychotherapist when she was 62.

57 minutes ago, Toots said:

Why couldn't your wife retrain as a psychotherapist here?  I know a woman in Bowral, NSW who retrained as a psychotherapist when she was 62.

I certainly know of a couple of women whom retrained in late fifties as psychologists here in Perth. Hence would have been in sixties at time of registration. I have mixed thoughts on the matter. One side says 'good on them' another says there is a time for everything and at one time the train leaves the station.

I say this because I witnessed the stress both endured in slightly different ways but debilitating in parts and/or impacting on behaviour at times and the like.

Just how many years I wonder do they hope to function? This area is heavily subscribed to by far more youthful applicants. It has been a favourable option for many for a number of years to study.

Nothing wrong with doing so of course. People are being forced to work late without options. I guess women with perhaps less in super, due to a number of years out of the work force, may experience a greater need, in order to avoid an impoverished 'old age' but hard none the less.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I certainly know of a couple of women whom retrained in late fifties as psychologists here in Perth. Hence would have been in sixties at time of registration. I have mixed thoughts on the matter. One side says 'good on them' another says there is a time for everything and at one time the train leaves the station.

I say this because I witnessed the stress both endured in slightly different ways but debilitating in parts and/or impacting on behaviour at times and the like.

Just how many years I wonder do they hope to function? This area is heavily subscribed to by far more youthful applicants. It has been a favourable option for many for a number of years to study.

Nothing wrong with doing so of course. People are being forced to work late without options. I guess women with perhaps less in super, due to a number of years out of the work force, may experience a greater need, in order to avoid an impoverished 'old age' but hard none the less.

You're not kidding. Psychologists seem to be everywhere - schools, medical centers, referrals from workplace etc.  I wonder if they actually do any good.  Bet there are some rubbish ones out there.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

You're not kidding. Psychologists seem to be everywhere - schools, medical centers, referrals from workplace etc.  I wonder if they actually do any good.  Bet there are some rubbish ones out there.

Isn't psychology a nothing degree by itself? Don't you need masters, PhD or to combine it for it to be of any use? I think it would be well worth combining it with other majors. I read a book on psychology just for fun once. Still one of the most interesting books I've read. It's an eye opener thinking about how people think.

4 hours ago, newjez said:

Isn't psychology a nothing degree by itself? Don't you need masters, PhD or to combine it for it to be of any use? I think it would be well worth combining it with other majors. I read a book on psychology just for fun once. Still one of the most interesting books I've read. It's an eye opener thinking about how people think.

I think with an undergrad degree you can teach psychology at school or college level and become a counsellor. My friend has a masters in clinical psychology and after 3 years of applying, got accepted to do her PhD in September. She works as an assistant psychologist but you need a PhD to do the full whack. I find it interesting to learn how the mind works but I couldn't work in MH.

Edited by BritChickx

8 hours ago, Toots said:

I skimmed over some aspects, it is really about the form the training takes in Australia, they teach across a range of schools of thinking in one course which makes it difficult to build up a thereauputic approach or way of working with clients, its a strange approach to training as in most of Europe you train in a discipline such as psycho dynamic, person centred or analytical.  Also the way the controlling body operates is very restrictive.

6 hours ago, newjez said:

A whole range of psychology qualifications from marketing to clinical psychologists, but to operate in some areas you need a doctorate but a lot of it is about statistical evaluations rather than thereauputic treatment of people with life difficulties.  

In Australia you have to be a registered psychologist in order to access medi care and private health payments not just be a psychotherapist or counsellor, which is why they abound, whereas in UK you yust need to be registered with a professional body after 450 hours of client time. 

Psychologists may not necessarily be traind therapists but as always in Australia the medical profession has a strangle hold on the access to the money trough.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

23 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Happy to clarify. 

Left school 1986

2007 Sedond job in China

End of 2014. Redundant. 

Wow, by my count you have been an immigrant to at least 5 countries (not including army service).  I'm sure you feel that you added positively to these countries whilst also using some of their resources.  I'm puzzled why you come across as so anti-immigrant given your history as an immigrant.

BTW net migration to the UK is about 340k pa not 800k odd (c. 0.5% of the population)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/dec2016

13 minutes ago, Collie said:

Wow, by my count you have been an immigrant to at least 5 countries (not including army service).  I'm sure you feel that you added positively to these countries whilst also using some of their resources.  I'm puzzled why you come across as so anti-immigrant given your history as an immigrant.

BTW net migration to the UK is about 340k pa not 800k odd (c. 0.5% of the population)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/dec2016

I can't say I've noticed any anti-immigrant sentiment in his posts?

On 12/04/2017 at 8:33 PM, BacktoDemocracy said:

And how many of the immigrants to Australia get to be senior managers influencing policy and strategy,mmost of the migrants find themselves filling the jobs Australians don't want to do despite all the BS bureaucracy about only allowing skilled labour in, forget the skill, it's still about labour. 

Hate to contradict (in a general sense) but my experience of certain hospitals, the Child Safety Department, and several wholesale gas/plumbing companies in my neck of the woods showed that most senior positions were indeed occupied by migrants, and I mean most. Whether this illustrates a trend nationally or within Industries, I wouldn't know but it would be interesting to see some stats as to why you have drawn an opposite conclusion.