What life really like to live in Queensland?

Suzannecopps

The only way yo will know if an area is for you is to drive around and get a feel for the place.

Lots are saying dont commute but many people do,just like many people do back in the UK, my hubby has a 50min commute and has done for 10 years, you have to work out what is best for you and your family.

Yes you get mossies in QLD, so we enclosed our patio and have no mossies now. This year we bought a patio heater and sit outside every night until 10 or 11pm, doing this all though winter has been a big change as i do feel the cold when those temps drop but the patio heater is awesome.

I've worked for 2 companys over here, hubby just the one and not yet come across workplace bullying, you do get banter but its all in fun.

Overall QLD is great, you will enjoy what awaits if you have an open mind and are willing to get out there and give it your best shot.

Cal x

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way yo will know if an area is for you is to drive around and get a feel for the place.

Lots are saying dont commute but many people do,just like many people do back in the UK, my hubby has a 50min commute and has done for 10 years, you have to work out what is best for you and your family.

Yes you get mossies in QLD, so we enclosed our patio and have no mossies now. This year we bought a patio heater and sit outside every night until 10 or 11pm, doing this all though winter has been a big change as i do feel the cold when those temps drop but the patio heater is awesome.

I've worked for 2 companys over here, hubby just the one and not yet come across workplace bullying, you do get banter but its all in fun.

Overall QLD is great, you will enjoy what awaits if you have an open mind and are willing to get out there and give it your best shot.

Cal x

It's not so much not to commute. I just don't think it's a great idea straight away until you have figured the area out better.

Also those Suburbs mentioned north of the Gold Coast aren't exactly that close to beaches or a cafe style living craved. Good for a nice new house at a reasonable price within a short drive to the beaches but not exactly what is wanted. The inner Brisbane suburbs much better for the village style vibe.

On the mossie front, can vary a lot where you are even kilometre to kilometre. I don't suffer any around Clayfield/ Wooloowin way

weve been here 3 years. Hubby has worked for the same employer since we got here never had an issue. My employers are great aswell. They do like to have a bit of a laugh and a joke at your expense but its kind of like an initiation into the lifestyle i found.

As for commuting, i personally would not live on the gold coast and commute to the city but people definately do it. Its far too long and every night you hear of something on the radio that causes hold ups. We live North side and for your age, no kids and commute to the city i stronlgy recommend you look round the recliffe peninsula, we love it there its beautiful. Great cafe and restaurant strip, beautiful beaches for dog walking, fanatstic sunday markets, laid back lifestyle, new train link to open soon and all you need. 40 min up to the sunny coast, 40 min to the city and about 1.5hrs to surfers.

We find the working hours here very long, be prepared to work hard during the week. Its dark by the time we get home, but that doesnt stop us throwing something on the BBQ with a bit salad most nights. Mozzies are absolutely an issue but if you prepare your home accordingly you can deal with them. We love nothing more on the weekends then jumping on the car and going for a drive to find new places, or into the city atleast once a month to try a new food place. A perfect Sunday for me if i lived at Redcliffe would be to walk through the markets, grab a coffee pick up some fresh veggies, to have with our sunday BBQ roast.

Life here is definately different to how we initially thought it would be and it has taken us a long time to settle, even now we have off days. We find making friends extremely difficult and has been our biggest hurdle without doubt.

You will really only get a good feel once your here!

I moved to Brisbane in May and I live in the West End and I really like it. Am able to walk to most things and got South Brisbane train station and a few other main station within easy reach. Plus a fake beach in South Bank :-) I feel it is worth the money and time gained with having way less transport.

I work in higher education and I find people very friendly and easy going. I have worked and studied in Belgium, England, India and Denmark where I'm from and I have to say that I'm very surprised about the lack of job security that seems to be the norm here, well as least with the ones I have spoken with so far. But other than that I enjoy it here and can only recommend it.

Cal x

Thank you for such a positive read . I was sitting reading through the comments last night and all I could think was "Has no one got anything good or positive to say" when you tittering on the edge of deciding whether or not you should make the leap of faith. you need to hear something good.We really do want to go and make a life of it, but I keep reading so many negatives. We would be very much like you and make the most of the night with heaters etc....

I love this "Overall QLD is great, you will enjoy what awaits if you have an open mind and are willing to get out there and give it your best shot"

Thank you x

weve been here 3 years. Hubby has worked for the same employer since we got here never had an issue. My employers are great aswell. They do like to have a bit of a laugh and a joke at your expense but its kind of like an initiation into the lifestyle i found.

As for commuting, i personally would not live on the gold coast and commute to the city but people definately do it. Its far too long and every night you hear of something on the radio that causes hold ups. We live North side and for your age, no kids and commute to the city i stronlgy recommend you look round the recliffe peninsula, we love it there its beautiful. Great cafe and restaurant strip, beautiful beaches for dog walking, fanatstic sunday markets, laid back lifestyle, new train link to open soon and all you need. 40 min up to the sunny coast, 40 min to the city and about 1.5hrs to surfers.

We find the working hours here very long, be prepared to work hard during the week. Its dark by the time we get home, but that doesnt stop us throwing something on the BBQ with a bit salad most nights. Mozzies are absolutely an issue but if you prepare your home accordingly you can deal with them. We love nothing more on the weekends then jumping on the car and going for a drive to find new places, or into the city atleast once a month to try a new food place. A perfect Sunday for me if i lived at Redcliffe would be to walk through the markets, grab a coffee pick up some fresh veggies, to have with our sunday BBQ roast.

Life here is definately different to how we initially thought it would be and it has taken us a long time to settle, even now we have off days. We find making friends extremely difficult and has been our biggest hurdle without doubt.

You will really only get a good feel once your here!

FAB! I will definitely check out Redcliffe - my working hours will be 8 - 5pm in Oz but I expect I would work over - I work very hard now in the UK, currently doing 9 - 5pm but never leaving work until 6 - 6:30 (and even 8pm has been known one or twice) and also working / eating through lunches - everyday! - so I guess I am used to the work hard mentality. You describe your weekends exactly how I envisage mine will be - which sound absolutely perfect!

I think we just want a more out doors life style with lots to explore. Never really settled since landing back in the UK and Australia has always been our dream. My husband works in Construction and as he gets older the outdoor working in the winters are becoming harder for him.

So lovely to read your thread thank you xx

Thank you for such a positive read . I was sitting reading through the comments last night and all I could think was "Has no one got anything good or positive to say" when you tittering on the edge of deciding whether or not you should make the leap of faith. you need to hear something good.We really do want to go and make a life of it, but I keep reading so many negatives. We would be very much like you and make the most of the night with heaters etc....

I love this "Overall QLD is great, you will enjoy what awaits if you have an open mind and are willing to get out there and give it your best shot"

Thank you x

Have a read through this thread too if you want some positive reading.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories.html

Cal x

Have a read through this thread too if you want some positive reading.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories.html

Cal x

Cal I love this link - thank you! Been having a sneaky read whilst in work, but will have a proper look this evening, so far its fab, just what I needed -:smile::jiggy:

FAB! I will definitely check out Redcliffe - my working hours will be 8 - 5pm in Oz but I expect I would work over - I work very hard now in the UK, currently doing 9 - 5pm but never leaving work until 6 - 6:30 (and even 8pm has been known one or twice) and also working / eating through lunches - everyday! - so I guess I am used to the work hard mentality. You describe your weekends exactly how I envisage mine will be - which sound absolutely perfect!

I think we just want a more out doors life style with lots to explore. Never really settled since landing back in the UK and Australia has always been our dream. My husband works in Construction and as he gets older the outdoor working in the winters are becoming harder for him.

Dunno if it is still a going thing, but when I worked I was doing flexi hours, just as long as I was there in 'core time' about 10 AM -2 PM. But that was over 20 years ago.

Cheers, Bobj.

FAB! My husband works in Construction and as he gets older the outdoor working in the winters are becoming harder for him.

Don't forget the other extreme though. The winters will be nice but working outdoors in Summer in 35+ degrees and high humidity can also be challenging.

Hi Suzanne

In answer to your question "What is life really like to live in Queensland?" - I would say pretty damn good!!! We have been here for nearly 9 years now, living on the Redcliffe Peninsula and we love it (although it was hard at first). We like the weather and the variety of things to do. Not so keen on the Gold Coast but love going up to the Sunshine Coast or into the city and of course always happy just to hang out in Redcliffe. We both work full-time and I have started studying again and we have two teenage kids, so life does sometimes take over, but it is up to us to make the most of our surroundings. Even when things are really busy, we make an effort to do something every few weeks.

If it is just you and your husband then you don't need to worry about making sure that you are getting children settled, so just take your time and you will find a suburb that suits you best for lifestyle and travelling. Most areas have markets and activities on at the weekend to enjoy and lots of stuff is free.

Good luck with the move and wherever you decide to move.

Elena

if you are going to commute from the goldie to brissy have you thought about living on the bayside? areas like Cleveland, Victoria point, wellington point. the beaches aren't as nice as the gold coast, its more bay than beach but you have both the gold coast and sunshine coast either side and the city is only 25 minutes drive away and good transport links to the city.

if you are going to commute from the goldie to brissy have you thought about living on the bayside? areas like Cleveland, Victoria point, wellington point. the beaches aren't as nice as the gold coast, its more bay than beach but you have both the gold coast and sunshine coast either side and the city is only 25 minutes drive away and good transport links to the city.

We live in Victoria point (which has all the facilities one needs) and say 3 out of 5 Sunday's we head down to one of the many Gold Coast beach's which are generally within a 1hr drive. Redcliffe is a regular trip too with this area being our preferred choice should we want to move. Sunshine coast we would visit maybe 4-5 times a year with the trip being some 1.5hrs. The City being a 45min drive, 1hr train or sometimes we part drive and then train and sometimes for a pleasant change, drive to Bulimba/Hawthorn and catch the River Cat.

We are never short of options for things to do and see either locally or within a 1.5 hr drive.

So Come! Come and enjoy!

Hi Suzanne. I've enjoyed reading the posts. Our family (me, my wife and three kids aged 6 and under) are moving to Bribie Island from the UK in November. We're on a 457. I'm a GP. I've been going through the roller coaster of emotions like you have (which will likely continue for a good while yet) ... leaving the comfort and security of our UK life for the unknown. In the end though, like you and your husband, we enjoy travel, experiencing new cultures and ways of living. Life is for living and if things don't work out there are always options. It's clear that you're heading into your new experience with a great attitude, your eyes wide open, a healthy streak of realism and an open mind. I feel sure that you'll have a great time. Good luck with the move!

If you managed 5 years in Dubai I reckon you'll think Queensland is paradise. We have friends who live in Moolloolaba. Moved from Perth to be with their son and they love it. I've visited lots of times and I could easily settle there. Brisbane is a nice City. Bit far from the coast but you could live by the coast and commute. Don't let too much work get in the way of a good time.

If you managed 5 years in Dubai I reckon you'll think Queensland is paradise. We have friends who live in Moolloolaba. Moved from Perth to be with their son and they love it. I've visited lots of times and I could easily settle there. Brisbane is a nice City. Bit far from the coast but you could live by the coast and commute. Don't let too much work get in the way of a good time.

I agree with you, Paul. There are two big reasons why people don't settle well in Australia. One is that they miss family; the other is that the culture isn't what they expected.

Someone who's already been living overseas knows they can cope without family close by. And someone who's lived overseas knows not to trust the myths about a country, because the reality is usually different from the hype. So i think they'll cope just fine.

I commute by train everyday from the Bayside to South Brisbane (45 mins - slightly longer than driving but only by 5-10mins). The train is cheap, clean, runs on time and if you are lucky you can get on the free wifi.

The only thing I notice different between me and the Aussies I work with is that we call certain things differently (pants/trousers, pushchair/stroller), which actually makes for some fun banter. They are a little more to the point than people I worked with in the UK, but that's not a negative in my eyes.

I spend loads more time outdoors since we emigrated. Sometimes we get on the Citycat at Bulimba and head up to town, other weekends we will go up Mount Tamborine, down the Gold Coast, up the Sunny Coast or just stay local. As long as you have some DEET and citronella, you can manage to have BBQ's in the summer without getting mauled by the mozzies (although they always manage to find the one piece of me not covered in spray!)

The one real negative for me is those few ridiculously humid days in the summer. I absolutely hate them but am lucky enough to have a pool I can jump in to cool off!!

LOL!

Australians like to call a spade a spade.

If you've lived in the North of England, that's good experience. They are generally less politically correct than Brits.

They are good fun but they like hard work as well.

Or not as the case may be. I do not think Aussies are straight shooters in the work place by any means. Anything obvious can be reported. More the backstabbing and behind the back actions to be more concerned about these days.

People Moving to Queensland ,be warned,don't go spending all your money on expensive rentals.Jobs are hard to find We are retired and live on the sunshine coast.It's a holiday place,and a overated one at that. Not a Place for Good Highly Paid Jobs. Infact just been reading today in the Local Paper,30,000 people have left Townsville ,and move South. Because Of the Shortage of work. And Mines and the Coal seam gas companies closures.The News in general for the Australian economy is very grim,Let's not beat about the bush here.The Treasure On the TV this morning Is Predicting Australia's Debt,To Be $100 Billion by next year,if big cuts are not made.Austerity is on the way,for a very long time.The Liberals we in Office For The Longest time of the Resources Boom when it was at it's peak.And the wasted it,and refused to diversify,and create new jobs when the mining boom ended.They even refused to tax the miners.the Correct tax.Noe they think by Spending $348 Billion on Building New Obsolete Diesel Powered Submarines,is going to Produce high tech jobs.Yet on Insight SBS TV on wednesday night. They say 44 % of Australians are semi illiterate.And Australian Schools are not up to standard to other first world countries.Students leaving school at 17 are unemployable.they cant read or write.Eficiente enough to get a job.