eu referendum update

bunbury61

No they are not, they are talking about moving their legal HQ, an entirely different thing, stop posting lies.

OH Yes they are (well it is a Pantomime)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-3669746/EasyJet-devises-plans-swift-UK-exit-amid-fears-Brexit-severely-damage-business-report-claims.html?ITO=1490

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/526926/EasyJet-leave-UK-talks-reportedly-Brexit-EU-referendum-europe-budget-airline

posted one from a pro brexit and one from an anti brexit source for balance.of

A bit of semantics on the Idea of the HQ lots of airlines will still fly in and out of the UK but not be based here. Therefore will not contribute to the tax revenue in the same way.

Edited by winter1

Oh, no they aren't

heres one from Easyjet

One insider said moving the HQ could entail relocating just a handful of staff, depending on the regime operated by the individual country's aviation regulator.
EasyJet employs roughly 1,000 people at its Luton base, in functions such as finance, IT and marketing - separate to the staff who work on its operations at the Bedfordshire airport.

While those staff would not be relocated

http://news.sky.com/story/1720169/easyjet-opens-talks-over-post-brexit-hq-move

Now if moving a handful of staff to Europe while leaving a thousand at Luton is leaving, then yes they are leaving.

If anyone wants to follow the debate about article 50, there is an interesting (but very complex) discussion on the website of the UK Constitutional Law Association. The key issue, of course, is whether Parliament's approval is required to trigger Article 50. Also very interesting stuff on Scotland and Ireland. At the end of the day, I presume that the British Prime Minister (whoever he or she might be) will be bound to take written legal advice from the Attorney General????? All this makes Australia's constitutional crisis of 1975 look very small beer indeed. And of course our current difficulties...

Easy Jet now saying it will leave the UK if article 50 is invoked.

• 1:36 pm, Fri 01 Jul 2016

[h=2]easyJet: 'We have no plans to move away from Luton'[/h] stream_img.jpg

easyJet say they are not leaving Luton. Credit: PA easyJet have moved to reassure staff that jobs won't be lost as a result of plans to potentially move their legal headquarters away from the UK.

The airline have confirmed they're looking into moving their legal home from Luton to a European city due to the uncertainty caused by Brexit.

Despite that move, they say that they have "no plans" to leave Luton as their main HQ.

easyJet is lobbying the UK government and the EU to ensure the continuation of a fully liberal and deregulated aviation market within the UK and Europe. This would mean that easyJet and all European airlines can continue to operate as they do today.

As part of easyJet’s contingency planning before the referendum we had informal discussions with a number of European aviation regulators about the establishment of an AOC (air operator certificate) in an European country to enable easyJet to fly across Europe as we do today.

easyJet has now started a formal process to acquire an AOC.

Until the outcome of the UK/EU negotiations are clearer easyJet does not need to make any other structural or operational changes.

We have no plans to move from Luton – our home for 20 years.

– easyJet statement

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/story/2016-06-24/eu-referendum-results-in-the-anglia-region/

Could be wishful thinking. The EU isn't going to wait forever. Jean-Claude Junker said several days ago that he wanted the divorce to "get started immediately". Merkel, however, said through a spokesman that Britain should "take the time to reconsider the consequences of the Brexit decision, BUT BY THAT I EMPHATICALLY DO NOT MEAN BREXIT ITSELF". That could hardly be clearer. There was a large scale demonstration in London yesterday of mostly young people protesting Brexit. They were urging people to lobby their MPs. I asked them, "lobby for precisely what?" and of course they could not answer.

There was a large scale demonstration in London yesterday of mostly young people protesting Brexit.

Talk about misinformation from the leave campaign? ...................This beggars belief! how about the misinformation from the remain (and the media) subsequent to the vote? ............75% (of younger) voted remain?..............remind me again?.............you can do it via google if you want..............75% of what?...............how many voted?..............Correct!..............so would you like to illustrate here just how many of this (inferred) enlightened and educated younger generation actually voted? I guess not. Off the top of my head.......75% of less than 35% was it?.................Wow! Britain's "young 'uns" are really enlightened and pro-active!..............when they've not get their head buried in their Apples............but then again, no different than any other nationality I suppose but just don't be fooled in to thinking that us old farts are too senile to see the manipulations of the media/politicians and the "In folk" who seem to think that "75% of younger voters voted in" would have us thinking that we're nothing but racist, ignorant old tossers who aren't in touch with the younger generation..............well I for one am in touch................I know that 65% didn't give a toss and the other 35% are foolish enough to be manipulated into marching, thinking they were a majority...............Nothing changes.............the young have always been exploited/manipulated by the fat cats.........be it the US Kent State University riots in 1970 or the student protests in the UK in 2010............the kids mean well but they just ain't mature enough to know who is pulling their strings

Talk about misinformation from the leave campaign? ...................This beggars belief! how about the misinformation from the remain (and the media) subsequent to the vote? ............75% (of younger) voted remain?..............remind me again?.............you can do it via google if you want..............75% of what?...............how many voted?..............Correct!..............so would you like to illustrate here just how many of this (inferred) enlightened and educated younger generation actually voted? I guess not. Off the top of my head.......75% of less than 35% was it?.................Wow! Britain's "young 'uns" are really enlightened and pro-active!..............when they've not get their head buried in their Apples............but then again, no different than any other nationality I suppose but just don't be fooled in to thinking that us old farts are too senile to see the manipulations of the media/politicians and the "In folk" who seem to think that "75% of younger voters voted in" would have us thinking that we're nothing but racist, ignorant old tossers who aren't in touch with the younger generation..............well I for one am in touch................I know that 65% didn't give a toss and the other 35% are foolish enough to be manipulated into marching, thinking they were a majority...............Nothing changes.............the young have always been exploited/manipulated by the fat cats.........be it the US Kent State University riots in 1970 or the student protests in the UK in 2010............the kids mean well but they just ain't mature enough to know who is pulling their strings

I'm glad you can be so dismissive in your superiority, my observation is that people get older but few are different at 65 to what they were at 25.

My experience is that the young instinctively know when they are being exploited whilst the oldies are still working on the basis of lessons taught 50 years ago.

+Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, is under pressure to resign after reportedly “gloating” over Britain’s departure from the EU and describing it as a chance to push for greater EU integration.

Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, is understood to believe that Juncker has become “part of the problem”.

“Juncker has time and again acted against the common interest and his reaction to the British referendum has been very damaging,” a German minister told The Sunday Times.

“This is not a time for institutional bickering, but the pressure for him to resign will only become greater +

Comment: leaving the women to pick up the pieces??? The key players could be May, Sturgeon, Merkel.

+Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, is under pressure to resign after reportedly “gloating” over Britain’s departure from the EU and describing it as a chance to push for greater EU integration.

Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, is understood to believe that Juncker has become “part of the problem”.

“Juncker has time and again acted against the common interest and his reaction to the British referendum has been very damaging,” a German minister told The Sunday Times.

“This is not a time for institutional bickering, but the pressure for him to resign will only become greater +

Comment: leaving the women to pick up the pieces??? The key players could be May, Sturgeon, Merkel.

Juncker is an idiot, how the hell people voted for him I'll never know........Oh that's right, they didn't.

Edited by amibovered

Juncker is an idiot, how the hell people voted for him I'll never know........Oh that's right, they didn't.

He was elected by the representatives you voted for - well at least I assume you voted? If you didn't, then I guess you can hardly be critical.

He was elected by the representatives you voted for - well at least I assume you voted? If you didn't, then I guess you can hardly be critical.

First of all no he wasn't, and second, why can't the electorate vote for the President? rhetorical question I know, the EU old boys club don't trust the people to make the correct decision.

Edited by amibovered

I voted Brexit? Am I dumb?

I hold the following qualifications:

11 A levels at A grade (Politics, Economics, Math, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology, Sociology, Law, philosophy

LLB (Hons)

LLM

LPC

MGeol (Combined Geoscience Bsc and Masters)

Dip Higher Ed (Politics Economics)

I have managed projects across the world with budgets in the hundreds of millions. I have managed teams in the hundreds.

I voted Brexit, not after listening to politicians, but after looking through data, speaking to people I respect in business and finance and coming to the conclusion that the UK will be better out. I maintain that position.

Does the irony taste bitter to you?

The early rally on the London stock market has been snuffed out.

Investors aren’t pleased by the news that UK construction suffered its biggest slump in almost seven years in June.

British Land and Land Securities, two of Britain’s largest property firms, have both fallen by 3.7%.

Housebuilding firms are also among the top fallers, with Persimmon,Taylor Wimpey and Barratt Developments all shedding at least 3%.

Joshua Raymond of IG explains why.....

UK construction is truly in the doldrums, if today’s PMI reading is anything to go by. A seven-year low for the construction PMI reading highlights the fact that many firms have seen investment ground to a halt both before and after the Brexit vote. With around 80% of responses within this PMI survey coming prior to the referendum result, there is reason to believe that this will look even worse in a month’s time.

Considering that we were looking at PMI readings approaching 65 less than two years ago, it is clear that construction has gone from boom to bust in no time at all. Upon enacting Article 50, the government will ignite another two years of uncertainty, which will most likely result in further suffering for UK industry as investment goes elsewhere.

Easyjet cannot move their headquarters to an EU country and continue to fly domestic routes within the UK because of an international aviation agreement on cabotage.

EasyJet's domestic routes within the UK could be hived off to a UK subsidiary. EasyJet's bigger concern is it's routes within the EU. While the UK remains part of the EU they are domestic routes. If the UK leave the EU those international aviation rules come into play and it won't be able to fly any routes that both start and end in the EU. Flights between the UK and the EU would all have to be negotiated.

EasyJet's domestic routes within the UK could be hived off to a UK subsidiary. EasyJet's bigger concern is it's routes within the EU. While the UK remains part of the EU they are domestic routes. If the UK leave the EU those international aviation rules come into play and it won't be able to fly any routes that both start and end in the EU. Flights between the UK and the EU would all have to be negotiated.

They like a lot of companies would just move to Ireland surely?

There will be many of those issues. I assume the disruption of supply chains will be a huge problem. Ditto the loss of the EU "passport" for the banks and financial institutions. As I understand it, the City is currently treated as if it were part of the Eurozone. Johnson, of course, should have known more than most about that. But then, he just wanted to blow the bloody doors off, didn't he.

The 250 is 500 points higher than it was in March, so what does it prove that is it lower now - it is high based on which way you look at it.

As long as we don't have to listen to endless stories of your failed attempts to get a shelf stacking job in Tescos mate - I really don't care. I guess you could always eat the dog if times get too tough. Might taste better than humble pie. Good luck. You're going to need it.

I know questions have been raised over the intelligence of the leave voters versus the remain. I don't read too much into that. People generally vote in their own self interest, and I can understand that. But it requires a special type of stupid to actively campaign for something that puts you out of a job.

Recessions seem to follow you around mate. We were doing fine till you came back. Maybe it's you?

Edited by newjez