eu referendum update

bunbury61

Comparing the FTSE 250 to a period when the world thought China was about to fall over, isn;t proving much. The stock market will rally because of QE stimulus, but this won't do anything to offer confidence in companies to invest in the UK and hence drive jobs.

The chancellors move to talk about a tax rate of 15% (by 2020 I think) was a good move, but it will still be a rocky ride. UK Construction contracted in June and this largely excluded the impact of post brexit.

Let's hope we avoid recession, but its a real risk....

I was just reading about the sad case of Alice Gross.

The 14 year old was murdered by a Latvian national who entered Britain under EU freedom of movement with no checks.

He was already convicted and jailed of killing his wife in Latvia but Britain had no knowledge of this until after he killed again in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/alice-gross-inquest-teenager-was-unlawfully-killed-in-sexually-m/

Under EU rules freedom of movement who knows what murderers rapists and paedophiles are freely admitted ?

Edited by parleycross

The 14 year old was murdered by a Latvian national who entered Britain under EU freedom of movement with no checks.

He was already convicted and jailed of killing his wife in Latvia but Britain had no knowledge of this until after he killed again in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/alice-gross-inquest-teenager-was-unlawfully-killed-in-sexually-m/

Under EU rules freedom of movement who knows what murderers rapists and paedophiles are freely admitted ?

Yes that is very sad. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to restrict access to criminals such as this. UK never had open borders. You need a passport to enter. This should have flagged up at the passport check. But it would have been the same post brexit if someone like that came over for a holiday. I also take exception to the difficulty we have had in deporting criminals within and outside the EU. But it is a bit extreme to leave because of this. Surely these sorts of things can be tightened up? You also need to look at the percentage of crimes committed by British compared to EU nationals. Is it higher or lower?

Ireland stands to be a big winner, except if the Troubles get reignited.

Except that Irelands biggest customer is the UK.

If tarrifs are implimented or impediments on trade happen, selling into Britan could be difficult.

Once the process of exiting the EU is complete, Britain will be only a member of the WTO. If it then wants to join the European Economic Area, in order to access the single market, it will have to apply to join Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein as countries that are in the EU internal market, but outside the EU itself. The so-called Norwegian model. EU rules on migration apply, and a substantial financial contribution will be required. The UK will have absolutely no say in EU decision making. The Norwegians did try to warn Brits about this.."be careful what you wish for" .but most were listening only to Farage et al and their blatant lies.

Do you think murderers make a beeline for the UK or do you think maybe just as many baddies leave the UK as come? And even if you stop the Latvians, how would you stop Scots coming to England to murder people or vice versa. Or Yorkshiremen and Lancastrians murdering each other?

Yes that is very sad. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to restrict access to criminals such as this. UK never had open borders. You need a passport to enter. This should have flagged up at the passport check. But it would have been the same post brexit if someone like that came over for a holiday. I also take exception to the difficulty we have had in deporting criminals within and outside the EU. But it is a bit extreme to leave because of this. Surely these sorts of things can be tightened up? You also need to look at the percentage of crimes committed by British compared to EU nationals. Is it higher or lower?

That's just one of a multitude of things that should have been sorted out by Cameron before he went to a referendum. Maybe if he'd done his job a lot better he would still be PM and the UK would be happy to be part of the EU.

+A gigantic property fund is stopping people taking out money out for the first time since the credit crisis of 2008.Savings and investment giant Standard Life froze withdrawals from its £2.9 billion ($3.8 billion) UK real estate fund after a flood of people tried to pull money out in the wake of the Brexit vote.

The Scottish-headquartered company suspended trade of the fund on Monday, blaming “exceptional market circumstances,” according to a statement emailed to Business Insider.

Standard Life says: “The decision was taken following an increase in redemption requests as a result of uncertainty for the UK commercial real estate market following the EU referendum result.”+

Comment: here we go. The Tories don't have time to stuff around electing Teresa May. I do not understand why she is being criticised for not saying she will guarantee the rights of EU citizens in the UK. No one can guarantee that UK citizens in the EU will keep their current rights. That will have to be approved by the parliaments of 27 other countries. - why on earth would she trade away such an important card before the negotiating game has even started???? Duh!

Once the process of exiting the EU is complete, Britain will be only a member of the WTO. If it then wants to join the European Economic Area, in order to access the single market, it will have to apply to join Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein as countries that are in the EU internal market, but outside the EU itself. The so-called Norwegian model. EU rules on migration apply, and a substantial financial contribution will be required. The UK will have absolutely no say in EU decision making. The Norwegians did try to warn Brits about this.."be careful what you wish for" .but most were listening only to Farage et al and their blatant lies.

Actually the UK might not be a member of the WTO at that point.

The Economist argued that the UK might opt to remain when it sees the sort of deal that's likely to be on offer. There are two viable options:

• The Norway model, with membership of the EFTA. This still requires Britain pays a membership fee to the EU, along with having no controls over immigration from member states.

• A complete divorce from the EU and EEA, and the problems that's likely to entail.

The article complains that the Leave campaign claimed we could have the benefits of EU membership without the costs. Unfortunately that's unlikely to pan out in reality.

The 250 is 500 points higher than it was in March, so what does it prove that is it lower now - it is high based on which way you look at it.

All large house and apartment construction companies down and property investment funds suspending further withdrawals of funds, I don't know who's buying your stone, is it the government building those new prisons Gove has promised?

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

not one would move...all bluff and blunder crap.

Why not? Ireland is the perfect location. Ireland stands to gain a hell of a lot out of this. If I were you I'd be buying Dublin real estate.

English speaking, stable, cheap.

Ireland will be booming in five years time at the UK expense.

Why not? Ireland is the perfect location. Ireland stands to gain a hell of a lot out of this. If I were you I'd be buying Dublin real estate.

English speaking, stable, cheap.

Ireland will be booming in five years time at the UK expense.

ok, you keep track and tell me when one moves....:wink:

All large house and apartment construction companies down and property investment funds suspending further withdrawals of funds, I don't know who's buying your stone, is it the government building those new prisons Gove has promised?

Duplicate

Edited by newjez