A quick hello from the UK!

VERYSTORMY

Just a quick update.

I left Perth on Saturday night flying with Qatar. Flight was fine and I would say as good as emirates economy.

Landed at heathrow yesterday morning and family were there to meet me.

Went back to their place in Richmond for Sunday lunch and a catch up which was wonderful. The they brought me to the little cottage I have rented in Berkshir, dropped bags and had a look around and kids kicked a ball around with us in the garden. Then we went for a few pints in the stunning country pub round the corner.

The cottage is gorgeous and the owner has left lots of goodies for me. Everything from posh chocolate to milk. My sister in law has made me a lovely pie for dinner tonight which is sat in the fridge.

Already arranging some fun days with family and friends have been in touch to arrange meet ups.

Today, I am having a wander round the village to see if it might be where we would like to stay long term, seeing a couple of property companies and sorting out mobiles and that will do for today as start work tomorrow

So, so far so good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update.

I left Perth on Saturday night flying with Qatar. Flight was fine and I would say as good as emirates economy.

Went back to their place in Richmond for Sunday lunch and a catch up which was wonderful. The they brought me to the little cottage I have rented in Berkshir, dropped bags and had a look around and kids kicked a ball around with us in the garden. Then we went for a few pints in the stunning country pub round the corner.

The cottage is gorgeous and the owner has left lots of goodies for me. Everything from posh chocolate to milk. My sister in law has made me a lovely pie for dinner tonight which is sat in the fridge.

Already arranging some fun days with family and friends have been in touch to arrange meet ups.

Today, I am having a wander round the village to see if it might be where we would like to stay long term, seeing a couple of property companies and sorting out mobiles and that will do for today as start work tomorrow

So, so far so good.

Good to hear you sounding so happy Stormy! :smile:

Just a quick update.

So, so far so good.

Absolutley Love Richmond such I beautiful spot - lived there as a child for 12 months so different from wher I belong up north ( am not knocking up north I love my home town am just saying ) You will be pie eyed stating work but good luck

Just a quick update.

So,

far so good.

Welcome home vs .....there will be things you love and things you don't ,about being back in the u.k .

Please try and take the positives .....weekends in London ...major sporting events and shows on your doorstep on a daily basis .

Europe ...oh yes

Great t.v ...shopping .

It appears you have already had a taster with the weekend you have just had

All the best

You lucky lucky person, that sounds picture perfect chap, and Richmond is rather stunning, point of fact, it is rated the number 1 spot to live in London, quality and taste Sir. And Berkshire is where a lot of Royalty are from , Sir you do have quality taste, don't lose it and as for the cottage this is just getting better and better and a Sunday Roast, crikey I really can't wait to return the land of splendor any month now...just saving a little more for that rather nice quality Audi A5 or 6 or BMW series 3 or Z4 as per advised by Top Gear - that I have my eyes on, if that makes perfect sense and yes I will be driving and using not petrol but Diesel mpg and all that....next thing you'll be doing is heading off soon to mark n' sparks just quality ....One quick question if I may, did you purchase a one-way or a return as I too will fly high with Qatar ...

Thank you everyone.

I am actually staying in Berkshire - the family are in Richmond. I am on the edge of a village called Binfield.

The village is lovely and has everything I could need and only 20 mins from work. However, I am not sure it will be where we will settle. It is a bit bigger and a lot busier than we would prefer. It is a very popular commuter village. Which also makes it one of the most expensive. So, while we will still look at rentals here, we will concentrate on some other small places. Have come across a few that are a bit further from work (45-50 mins) that are a lot smaller and a lot cheaper.

The property people have actually been very nice and when I explained the situation were happy to bend the rules to ignore the fact we have no bank accounts ir credit history.

The village pubs here are wonderful. Have now visited all three!

Looking forward to work tomorrow and most of all my wife and little fury one arriving Friday.

Hi guys

I started work on Tuesday and it has been great.

On Tuesday I was based in the office in Windsor. Amazing office directly opposite the castle and it was Queen Victorias private waiting area for trains and is a stunning building with lots of crests and things. The directors took me for lunch to a amazing very old world pub next to the long walk which was great - very good beer and wine. I also picked up my company car which is the best car I have ever had. Its a Nissan Nivera with all the bells and whistles - full leather interior, sat nav, dual climate control and everything else.

Yesterday I started at the quarry and spend the day settling in and getting my office the way I want it and things. Meeting the team. The team are a great bunch and been with the company for years and know what they are doing. Lots if interesting characters. One of my senior guys is 70, but still very fit and in his day was known as the strongest man in London and even did the door for the Kray twins nightclub - so lots of stories.

I report to the MD and he is great. He is spending half a day a week with me while I find my feet. He also drives me round to different areas to consider for our long term rental as he knows this part of the world so well.

Today has been more a regular work day and I am getting into the thick of it and getting up to speed and doing orders and things and carrying out management inspections. Though my boss took me out to Surrey to look at villages for a couple of hours.

My wife and dog arrive tomorrow and cant wait. In fact, my dog has just taken off and my wife will in 20 mins.

We have viewings for rentals arranged for the weekend and hope to secure something then.

So far so good! Even enjoying the weather which except for Monday has been grey and drizzling. Though I always liked drizzle.

So far so good! Even enjoying the weather which except for Monday has been grey and drizzling. Though I always liked drizzle.

You won't truly feel home until there's smog but you may struggle in that part of the world :)

It sounds like you've landed on your feet and all will be complete when the wife and dog arrive.

I drove to Glasgow today and the blue sky against the snow on the hills gave me reason to reflect how lucky I am to live here.

You won't truly feel home until there's smog but you may struggle in that part of the world :)

It sounds like you've landed on your feet and all will be complete when the wife and dog arrive.

I drove to Glasgow today and the blue sky against the snow on the hills gave me reason to reflect how lucky I am to live here.

We had a short flurry of snow on Tuesday - everyone was very surprised and it looked lovely coming down around the castle

Before I went to Oz I would never notice small things like that.

I have a house way up on a hill with open views across a village to the countryside out to the mountains, fields and a pine forest.

The view from my living room of the mountains with snow on their peaks with the greenery down below, the rooftops and church spires of the village is really quite something I marvel at daily. My patio is at the front of my house and in 6 weeks, I will be getting the patio table and chairs oiled for the year then set up for our weekly late night meals and summer barbies with the family .

And the fresh Spring air....most refreshing and uplifting

Britain rocks ! I really appreciate how great it is here. What a great country to live in and be part of, I feel very proud of it.

Cant understand why anyone would want to chuck this in to live somewhere else.

Unless of course you live in a grotty city full of brutal 60's architecture or something...but even then you don't need to migrate these days for a better life.

Certainly not somewhere overpriced, bland, backwards, boring, over rated and extremely isolated from the rest of the world to the point where you cant even travel anywhere.

Guest Guest109139

Glorious day down the South West too, a beautiful and intense sunset behind the hills as I was driving home on the M5, absolutely stunning.

The birds are singing like mad, the daffodils are out everywhere, I even saw some new born lambs on the fields, spring is definitely in the air:jiggy: