Why We're going

LochStock

Sounds like you've got the exact right frame of mind to make a success and that goes a long way. I know it was an itch we had to scratch and we are very glad we did.

I'm not the sort of person to play down the weather I'm afraid it was a major pull for us, well me

in particular. I'm out in it working in all weathers and its Never been too extreme for me.

Good luck on your journey, sounds to me like you're going to enjoy the ride whatever the outcome.

I could have written this post myself and totally agree with every statement. If you want warmer ,more predictable weather you will not be disappointing moving here. Even the chilly winter time is bearable because you know it wont drag on and on and on.

Cal x

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You seem to know what to expect here Lochstock and I wish you all the very best. I'm from Scotland too and probably would never have come to Australia but I married an Australian. I've had a happy time here. As everybody has already told you, the weather here can be fairly extreme but even I got fed up of the damp weather in the UK. Have to admit I don't like very hot weather either and really dislike humidity. However, we live in Tasmania now which suits us really well.

@JockinTas - the OP's description of Scotland's seasons (x with rain, y with rain, z with rain) struck a chord with me and reminded me of the one thing that worried me a bit about Hobart - the rain!

We were there for two weeks around Christmas and it rained almost every day - not always for very long, but long enough to make me wonder!

@Marisawright - the weather is changeable here that's for sure! We had friends from Ireland staying with us a few years ago (in Sydney) and they decided to come to Tasmania for a couple of weeks on a cycling holiday. They were expecting cool weather but much to Jane's horror it reached 40C!! This was just after Christmas. The summers are usually warm and dry but no guarantee. Just now, it's about 20C during the day but 7 or 8C at night. Launceston and the east coast are always a bit warmer than anywhere else.

The farmers are needing rain at the moment.

and reminded me of the one thing that worried me a bit about Hobart - the rain!

We were there for two weeks around Christmas and it rained almost every day - not always for very long, but long enough to make me wonder!

Hobart is actually the second driest Australian capital (after Adelaide). It averages about half the rainfall of Sydney and a third that of Brisbane.

It's more showery rain than the heavy tropical type - and sometimes that Scottish "mizzle" - but the average number of rain days in any month varies from 9 in February to 16 in October.

I wish it would rain at the moment...people are starting to use that drought word.

Hobart is actually the second driest Australian capital (after Adelaide). It averages about half the rainfall of Sydney and a third that of Brisbane.

It's more showery rain than the heavy tropical type - and sometimes that Scottish "mizzle.

I noticed that too. I'm so used to Sydney downpours, and suddenly I was using all the different words for water falling out of the sky I learned growing up in Scotland, instead of just "bucketing"!

I noticed that too. I'm so used to Sydney rain, and suddenly I was using all the different words for water falling out of the sky I learned growing up in Scotland, instead of just "bucketing"!

:laugh: Yes...."bucketing" is very rare here. It's raining today - for the first time this month - but I'm rather miffed that it's not heavy enough to hear on the roof. Love that sound:wubclub:

I get your desire to move for the weather. I really do. It was the main motivating factor for me. However, after living here, I've found that it doesn't really matter that much. I miss so many more things about the UK. Weather is immaterial and a 'superficial' thing to me. Culture, people, etc have more depth and I've realised much more meaning to me than the blue sky. It has taken moving and living here for 4 years for me to realise this. By all means make the move, but please come back in 4 years and reflect on this post and give us all an update. :)

The weather/climate were a massive factor for us and we've never regretted coming for one second. Perth is a lot different to Melbourne though but emigrating from Glasgow to Melbourne I'm sure the weather would be a lot better.

Funny how you now think weather as a superficial thing now when it was a big thing when you emigrated?

We've been here 23 years and still love the sun, the blue skies. My friends have just come back from a holiday in the UK and they left just as the weather was turning good in the UK, just as the Rugby World Cup was starting. I said to him this weekend how good the weather has looked for just about every game I've seen. He said "you know how critical the weather is for everyone in the UK, if you wake up to a blue sky and a promise of a nice day then everything about the place seems so much better".

As a 30 year old couple with no children I can really relate to your post. We came over here with no jobs or home (which was shocking to people at home). We have been in Melbourne for a year now (plus 5 months on a WHV back in 2012) and absolutely love it here. We much prefer the lifestyle over here and even though the weather can be very unpredictable it beats the UK! There is such a good vibe over here, very uplifting. I'm not going to lie though, it is hard being so far away from family and friends at times, but that's the sacrifice. It is difficult starting all over, making friends etc, but it's an exciting challenge. Overall, we are so glad that we took this opportunity, we would have definitely regretted not doing this. Anyway, good luck and all the best for your exciting future.

As a 30 year old couple with no children I can really relate to your post. We came over here with no jobs or home (which was shocking to people at home).

So did we. I don't know why people find the idea so frightening. In your twenties or thirties, you can afford to take a step back in your career or lose money, because you've got time and energy to build back up again. And you don't have the responsibility of providing for your kids' futures. The older you get, the more you have to lose and the less time you have to recover - so IMO you did it at the ideal time. Even if it hadn't worked out, you'd have had a great adventure.

I remember well my first experience of rain in Sydney.

Nothing like I had ever experienced in all my years growing up in the UK.

It was like standing under a wild powerful waterfall.

Raindrops that hurt! :smile:

Something strangely enjoyable about that kind of precipitation!

When it turns to hail, not so much. :arghh:

The weather/climate were a massive factor for us and we've never regretted coming for one second. Perth is a lot different to Melbourne though but emigrating from Glasgow to Melbourne I'm sure the weather would be a lot better.

Funny how you now think weather as a superficial thing now when it was a big thing when you emigrated?

We've been here 23 years and still love the sun, the blue skies. My friends have just come back from a holiday in the UK and they left just as the weather was turning good in the UK, just as the Rugby World Cup was starting. I said to him this weekend how good the weather has looked for just about every game I've seen. He said "you know how critical the weather is for everyone in the UK, if you wake up to a blue sky and a promise of a nice day then everything about the place seems so much better".

I guess I'm one of those lucky people who don't actually pay too much attention to the weather,and that includes when I lived in Sth Aust.It doesn't affect my mood,and I just adapt to it.On really hot days when I would have to shut the house up,I would do the same thing as I used to when the weather wasn't so great.Do stuff inside,a hobby,or clear out some cupboards,write someone a letter or email etc. Personally,the weather isn't more critical in the UK to people,than anywhere else really.I've heard brits whinge about it,and also aussies when I lived in Sth Aust. On a practical side though,when I lived in Sth Aust,and we had endless blue skies,which led to severe drought,I did actually look skywards and pray for rain!Not so much for myself,more for those that would struggle like farmers.

I guess I'm one of those lucky people who don't actually pay too much attention to the weather,and that includes when I lived in Sth Aust.It doesn't affect my mood,and I just adapt to it.On really hot days when I would have to shut the house up,I would do the same thing as I used to when the weather wasn't so great.Do stuff inside,a hobby,or clear out some cupboards,write someone a letter or email etc. Personally,the weather isn't more critical in the UK to people,than anywhere else really.I've heard brits whinge about it,and also aussies when I lived in Sth Aust. On a practical side though,when I lived in Sth Aust,and we had endless blue skies,which led to severe drought,I did actually look skywards and pray for rain!Not so much for myself,more for those that would struggle like farmers.

Yes, same here. I think 3 decades in Australia actually made me value the weather less. I also agree the weather is no more critical here in the UK than anywhere else. We do things dependant on the weather in exactly the same way we did in Australia. I have friends on FB posting up photos of their brown dirt yards and they are praying for rain. If the weather and beaches and sun is your motivator that's fine but people need to also realise many of us are a little deeper.

Yes, same here. I think 3 decades in Australia actually made me value the weather less. I also agree the weather is no more critical here in the UK than anywhere else. We do things dependant on the weather in exactly the same way we did in Australia. I have friends on FB posting up photos of their brown dirt yards and they are praying for rain. If the weather and beaches and sun is your motivator that's fine but people need to also realise many of us are a little deeper.

Depends which part of Australia you live in. Everything is lovely and green down here but we could still do with some heavy rain. I used to hate seeing on the news during droughts, the poor cattle and sheep standing miserably on red dirt. Desperate situation for farmers.

Depends which part of Australia you live in. Everything is lovely and green down here but we could still do with some heavy rain. I used to hate seeing on the news during droughts, the poor cattle and sheep standing miserably on red dirt. Desperate situation for farmers.

Of course yes, down in Tasmania you have a much more British climate, it's sounds very agreeable.

Archived