Why We're going

LochStock

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing wrong MR2 with beach and sun,but it seems more important to some people than others,and that's fine too!:cute:

With six more months of warm to go, I know where I'd rather be. And I don't think there are too many "Poms In OZ" who wish they were heading back to England for the next six months?!?!?

With six more months of warm to go, I know where I'd rather be. And I don't think there are too many "Poms In OZ" who wish they were heading back to England for the next six months?!?!?

Well I'm already here and VERY glad I will be spending the next 6 months in Scotland where the temperature might occasionally drop below zero - it certainly doesn't every year rather than Perth where I'd be enduring many 35 degree plus days.

If I was very rich i could consider spending a few months a year in Australia but it would probably be July/August/September - I LOVE Oct/Nov/Dec in the UK (& March to June too) - I'd spend Jan/Feb in the French alps if I was rich - cold, cold temperatures and lots of blue sky! No getting away from it I hate Jan/Feb in Scotland and Perth!!!

The weather has turned very cold here suddenly and I'm certainly not looking forward to the depths of winter - but I would still rather be in this temperature than in a Sydney January. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

If I could afford it, I'd be in Sydney in the Australian winter, then somewhere on the Mediterranean in the European winter.

The weather has turned very cold here suddenly and I'm certainly not looking forward to the depths of winter - but I would still rather be in this temperature than in a Sydney January. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

If I could afford it, I'd be in Sydney in the Australian winter, then somewhere on the Mediterranean in the European winter.

The Med is not that great in the winter IMO. Lots of storms and rain, much colder than you might imagine too (probably a consequence of wind and rain), especially at night. Tiled floors etc and minimal heating make the nights feel cold too. On the plus side winter there is relatively short and when the sun does shine it can feel quite warm.

The Med is not that great in the winter IMO. Lots of storms and rain, much colder than you might imagine too (probably a consequence of wind and rain), especially at night. Tiled floors etc and minimal heating make the nights feel cold too. On the plus side winter there is relatively short and when the sun does shine it can feel quite warm.

I know, but it's still not as chill as the UK, and we'd go somewhere with lots of history. Not expecting to lounge in the sun that's for sure!

I would. I am going back to the UK for a school reunion next July but would far prefer to go in winter

I think lots of posters are younger?

When you get older (sadly include me there) many of us suffer from brittle bones and icy pavements, people's drives, are a nightmare because of the fear of falling.

I was back in Bristol 5 years ago with a badly broken shoulder and arm broken in 3 places, to be honest I felt I was totally trapped due to the snow and ice, we were renting a 2nd floor flat with outside steps from the first floor that were iced up.

Ok extreme circumstances, but even visiting our son or friends it was so scary, in case I fell again, plus your balance is all wrong when you have broken a bone, so you are more vulnerable than you are in a warm winter climate.

That's just my take on preferring a warm climate.

How can you possibly know that ?

Whenever I meet someone from UK or Ireland, I ask them "Where are you from?" "Do you like it here?"And when they answer "Yes" (99 percent!) I say "Why?" At which point they usually look at me as if I'm insane and answer "The weather, the Sunshine, the lifestyle, the opportunities." Most of them have good and well-paid jobs.

I'll ask a few more that question tonight at the Spurs Liverpool game and report back.

Well I'm already here and VERY glad I will be spending the next 6 months in Scotland where the temperature might occasionally drop below zero - it certainly doesn't every year rather than Perth where I'd be enduring many 35 degree plus days.

If I was very rich i could consider spending a few months a year in Australia but it would probably be July/August/September - I LOVE Oct/Nov/Dec in the UK (& March to June too) - I'd spend Jan/Feb in the French alps if I was rich - cold, cold temperatures and lots of blue sky! No getting away from it I hate Jan/Feb in Scotland and Perth!!!

I expect Thomsons, Thos Cook, and The rest are all issuing their "Winter No Sun" brochures as we speak!

I enjoyed my life in the UK all year round, cycling and walking just as much in January as July, but I don't like snow and ice any more, and the older you get the less pleasant cold weather is.

I like Sydney winters too, and in summer I try to stay out of the sun during the day and spend the late arvo and we'll into the evening at the beach.

I expect Thomsons, Thos Cook, and The rest are all issuing their "Winter No Sun" brochures as we speak!

I enjoyed my life in the UK all year round, cycling and walking just as much in January as July, but I don't like snow and ice any more, and the older you get the less pleasant cold weather is.

I'm sure you do, MaryRose, but not everyone in this world is the same, and we should all respect other people's right to be different.

They certainly are...

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/finland/lapland/holidays-lapland.html

http://www.transun.co.uk/experience/husky-safari?gclid=cj0keqjw44exbrcu8vfs_bpetnobeiqacrt00_0mrigvscy4h_m58eqqsrqaaqsynjdmj-kkx6-eusyaaq188p8haq

http://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/winter-snow-breaks

On balance I prefer the more temperate UK climate but don't get me wrong I'll be moaning in February, we'll be going to the pyrenees this year - for snow sports and property hunting :) But we've been to Majorca cycling a couple of times in Feb too specifically for some winter sun (& it snowed one year - the first time it had snowed there in 10 years!)

I'm sure you do, MaryRose, but not everyone in this world is the same, and we should all respect other people's right to be different.

But I'm performing a valuable public service reminding dithering Pommies, faltering in their determination to come to OZ, worried they might miss winter in Pommieland, of just how good it is in OZ from September to May, and pretty good from June to August.

I enjoyed reading that LochStock. Whatever you do stick with Melbourne or Sydney though. I'm not sure you'll get such late night eateries in the other cities!

I left it too late, i.e. after 2130, on Saturday night to get meal, so for the first time in my life, I ordered a $5.95 pizza in Domino's ($5 before 9pm) and it was very good. I ate it in the pub just before Spurs kicked off against Liverpool.

Actually there are a number of Thai restaurants, e.g. on Pitt St, just south of Central where you can get meals up to midnight.

But I'm performing a valuable public service reminding dithering Pommies, faltering in their determination to come to OZ, worried they might miss winter in Pommieland, of just how good it is in OZ from September to May, and pretty good from June to August.

Some of detest this period

I left it too late, i.e. after 2130, on Saturday night to get meal, so for the first time in my life, I ordered a $5.95 pizza in Domino's ($5 before 9pm) and it was very good. I ate it in the pub just before Spurs kicked off against Liverpool.

Actually there are a number of Thai restaurants, e.g. on Pitt St, just south of Central where you can get meals up to midnight.

There are a number of Thai restaurants in Campbell Street - it's actually called Little Thai Town. We used to go there for dinner before going to the Capitol Theatre.

Archived