Is it a movie or a film..?

paul1977

We go to the Cinema. Or we watch a film at home. Must be whereabouts in the UK you come from I suppose.

Just noticed this after I posted.. Yes that is what we say, I am from the north, the OH from the midlands.

:laugh:

Thats because they don't have their own identity, their British in their ways but so desperately try to be American

Think they are just a young country being influenced by established western countries but unfortunately they do tend to opt for Americanisms.. I actually hear young Australians speaking with a slight American twang in their accents and use a lot of American sayings. I think the old gruff Aussie of past generations is being filtered out by an American influenced youth.

Think they are just a young country being influenced by established western countries but unfortunately they do tend to opt for Americanisms.. I actually hear young Australians speaking with a slight American twang in their accents and use a lot of American sayings. I think the old gruff Aussie of past generations is being filtered out by an American influenced youth.

It's no different to any other country. Every language is influenced by the dominant culture of the time: that's why "English" is an amalgam of many different languages, layer upon layer of the dominant culture in England at the time. That's why all western languages now use some American/English words. It worries the French so much that they try to introduce laws against it. English spoken in England is no different. The English spoken by teenagers in the UK today is not the same as that spoken by teenagers in the UK in 1950.

I'm an "old man" in my 60s and it amuses my daughter when I use terms like "pictures" for movies or "wireless" for radio. I think it's sad that many old terms have died out. I really hate it when young shop assistants address me as "buddy". I know "cobber" has died out but it looks like "mate" will soon be replaced by an Americanism.