Having kids

FOL

In the Uk the process isn't supposed to take longer than a pregnancy ( 9 months obviously) They are trying to make the process easier whilst still safeguarding the children. I don't know how that's panning out in reality.

The way they do that in Australia is as I described. They pre-approve couples (that process can take longer than a year), so that when a child comes up for adoption, they have a waiting list of couples ready and willing to take that child immediately.

I never realised there were less children to adopt.

In Australia adoptions have declined 75% over the last 25 years - and nearly half of those are step children...so just changing the legal status of the child. With so few Australian children available for adoption, many people seek to adopt from overseas, despite the financial cost and legal obstacles.

Unless you are lucky enough to have brilliant family support for babysitting and childminding the cost of childcare can be expensive but also bear in mind that your social life will change and you will spend less going out.

We used to eat out at good restraunts a couple of times per week but now entertain more at home or do lunches out b/c of the kids - we probably spend at least 200pw less on going out (yes we lead a good life before kids!) - also we used to get a lot of taxis but young kids means that you need a clear head so we also spend less on that and drink now as well

Pregnancy means needing to get clothes to fit so I spent a lot less money on clothes for those several months and to be honest with all the chucking up and mess I also have not spent much in the last 4 years on clothes and have bought much cheaper clothes as I was sick of getting my good stuff ruined all the time - picking up kids and having dirty feet and spit on them is not hand in hand with an expensive outfit! Ah the joy!!

So all in all - yes we have increased costs due to childcare but spend a lot less on a lot of other things - we have a basic family car now instead of a posh car and live a much more simple lifestyle -

I don't feel we have lost anything - just gained so much by having 2 beautiful girls!

Don't worry about the costs - it all works itself out - there are so many cheap secondhand baby clothes furniture and toys at garage sales and charity shops you can keep the costs right down, toy librarys are fab and playgrounds are free and make the best day out! it costs next to nothing to have friends over for a bbq and the kids playing together are the best thing ever -

Sit back - enjoy the journey - I can't tell you just how much you will love it!! I have never smile and laughed so much in my life - my monsters are trying but wonderful!

In the olden days, the authorities were much less tolerant of problem parents -- if they had any doubt the parents could be trusted with the kids, they would remove them permanently and put them up for adoption. These days the attitude is that natural parents are always best, so social services prefer to put the child into foster care and try to rehabilitate the parent(s).

Also - if you've seen Love Child! - single mothers used to be pressured to give up their babies, whereas now they're pressured to keep them.

In the olden days babies born out of wedlock were taken from their mothers and put for adoption. Usually through Christian based hospitals. There was a big one here in Fremantle. Mother had little choice in the mater. Caused a lot of heart ache and pain.

The demands on women are the same as they've always been HH. It's only the desire to have everything that leads to the thought that demands are greater.

It certainly is not the same. Mothers of previous generations in the 50's and 60's into the 70's were not forced to work. A male blue collar's income was ample to support a family.

It certainly is not the same. Mothers of previous generations in the 50's and 60's into the 70's were not forced to work. A male blue collar's income was ample to support a family.

Mothers of previous generations were probably a bit like my Mum. Happy to stay at home, no mobile phone to pay for, in fact no phone at all, no internet, no car, couldn't drive and never learned, didn't have a TV for years, holidays were at the Miners camps in Skegness, subsidised to the hilt. Add up the costs of that little lot and you can see why a male blue collar workers salary would be enough to support a family

• 4 years later...

Alright, we'll we've got a 1.5 yo daughter and we still manage fine 🙂 Sure we aren't saving as much as before (2.4k a month paycut is quite significant), but we still manage alright.

edit: Just read the intro post. We do make signficantly more than the original full time wages we had. So compared to the original post I reckon we make even a bit more. That probably explains.

Edited by FOL

5 hours ago, FOL said:

Alright, we'll we've got a 1.5 yo daughter and we still manage fine 🙂 Sure we aren't saving as much as before (2.4k a month paycut is quite significant), but we still manage alright.

edit: Just read the intro post. We do make signficantly more than the original full time wages we had. So compared to the original post I reckon we make even a bit more. That probably explains.

Original post was over 4 years ago so their wages would probably have risen quite a bit since then too.