cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

Should move to northern Tassie mate..Live on a beautiful hillside development with fantastic views of the Bass strait, river and forests...absolute paradise with no human noise...and no one is buying the sections...Ive found my paradise..

Stunning place, but an economy that makes most of Europe look attractive.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will throw my tuppence in as I have for a lot of my career both in oz and the UK been paid in US $. So can see prices in a neutral way. When living in the UK, we would be significantly better off.

Would that be having the same standard of house VS. No need to say living in the same standard of place as it's not available. How long is it since you lived in the UK too? When we were back on holiday last year I expected finding things cheap but go to a nice place for a nice meal and you would be paying the same sort of price for the same sort of establishment and food.

I will throw my tuppence in as I have for a lot of my career both in oz and the UK been paid in US $. So can see prices in a neutral way. When living in the UK, we would be significantly better off.

So from this we can conclude that Americans (and those paid in USD) are better off in the UK than Australia.

Would that be having the same standard of house VS. No need to say living in the same standard of place as it's not available. How long is it since you lived in the UK too? When we were back on holiday last year I expected finding things cheap but go to a nice place for a nice meal and you would be paying the same sort of price for the same sort of establishment and food.

I found the same when I was back in the UK in July. Spent loads more money than I thought we would. The cost of housing varies enormously in the UK though and the area we used to live in housing is much cheaper than anywhere in Australia. We sold a 5 bed semi with a large garden for £180k just over two years ago and house price haven't gone up much since. Here we've spent over $500k on a 3 bed detached house with not much garden and basically traded a £60k mortgage for a $370k one. Funnily enough we don't have quite as much spare cash as we used to.

I found the same when I was back in the UK in July. Spent loads more money than I thought we would. The cost of housing varies enormously in the UK though and the area we used to live in housing is much cheaper than anywhere in Australia. We sold a 5 bed semi with a large garden for £180k just over two years ago and house price haven't gone up much since. Here we've spent over $500k on a 3 bed detached house with not much garden and basically traded a £60k mortgage for a $370k one. Funnily enough we don't have quite as much spare cash as we used to.

Where was your 5 bed house? That's very cheap as we will plan on selling our 3 bed house and have been told its worth £475k at the moment.

No, the house I am building here is a lot more "bling" for want of a better word. But, my old place was recently on the market for about the same as we sold it for in 2008. £84k. It is costing me about $550k to build the house here. There are some important issues in the favour of our old place. Here we are 1.5 hours from the city. We could not afford to build in perth. In the UK we were a 10 minute walk from the city - we didn't even own a car as didn't need one.

Where was your 5 bed house? That's very cheap as we will plan on selling our 3 bed house and have been told its worth £475k at the moment.

Rotherham. For £475k in that area you could buy a very large detached house with lots of garden. Just goes to prove my point that house prices vary enormously in the UK.

If you sold up in London and then bought in a small town here you would also be way better off in Oz. most of these comparisons are like comparing apples and oranges

Rotherham. For £475k in that area you could buy a very large detached house with lots of garden. Just goes to prove my point that house prices vary enormously in the UK.

Yep, my parents sold a big semi detached 3 bed x 2 bath property with a massive garden in Chesterfield for about 80,000 pounds. They moved to Melton Mowbray into a small 2 bed 1 bath home with a very small garden and had to pay over 100,000 for it.

Yep, my parents sold a big semi detached 3 bed x 2 bath property with a massive garden in Chesterfield for about 80,000 pounds. They moved to Melton Mowbray into a small 2 bed 1 bath home with a very small garden and had to pay over 100,000 for it.

And £100k in any capital city in oz buys what? We have beach shacks in mandurah made of asbestos selling for 3x that.

I live on a half acre, so we have a nice yard, however where we live heaps of new builds are being built on smaller plots and heaps of those do have pools, not paddling pools, inground pools :)

However outdoor lifestyle does not = a huge garden? if you stayed in a huge yard all day, would be petty boring, outdoor lifestyle is WAY bigger than the yard :)

However outdoor lifestyle does not = a huge garden? if you stayed in a huge yard all day, would be petty boring, outdoor lifestyle is WAY bigger than the yard :)

Yes, I was going to make the same comment. I have friends with no yards who sail, kayak, bike ride (including mountain biking), ski and bushwalk.....and have much more of an outdoor lifestyle than me with my yard which is about 5 times the size of my house footprint.

Yes, I was going to make the same comment. I have friends with no yards who sail, kayak, bike ride (including mountain biking), ski and bushwalk.....and have much more of an outdoor lifestyle than me with my yard which is about 5 times the size of my house footprint.

So why do people moan about being stuck n a terrace house then...?

If you sold up in London and then bought in a small town here you would also be way better off in Oz. most of these comparisons are like comparing apples and oranges

I could find a 3 bed house right now in a country town in Oz for $60,000,but would you be able to find work?You'd also be a long way from a city,which I guess would suit some people!

$9.50 a schooner in the KB hotel last night, even if it was for craft beers!

You must have been happy to pay it, otherwise you would have walked out. I work on the fact that I will only pay what I think it is worth, and no more. They only ask what people are willing to pay, and if people stopped paying what they think are silly prices, it leave them little option but to adjust their prices down, or go out of business.

You must have been happy to pay it, otherwise you would have walked out. I work on the fact that I will only pay what I think it is worth, and no more. They only ask what people are willing to pay, and if people stopped paying what they think are silly prices, it leave them little option but to adjust their prices down, or go out of business.

Very true. There is a really nice pub in South Brisbane that does $6 and $7 pints of craft beer and they are always busy. Places that charge over the odds, they seem to be a bit more light on in patronage.

And £100k in any capital city in oz buys what? We have beach shacks in mandurah made of asbestos selling for 3x that.

I'm sure you're right. I was just pointing out there are places in the UK where property is pretty cheap. It's not all like escape to the country where people are paying loads to move to a house with a view of a few fields in Buckinghamshire and paying a lot for it. They could have the same in Derbyshire, in the peak district for a lot less.

You mention capital cities too. Chesterfield or Melton are a long way from being decent sized cities, at the most they are small towns. We should have got the in-laws to move over and buy a one of the apartments in Mindarie when they could have paid cash for one in the mid 90's. They never got round to it.

Look, in Australia, we work for Aussie money and buy in Aussie shops, and it makes not a whit of difference what it costs in comparison in the UK or Timbuktu. The real question should be about the standard of living you can expect in Australia, on the wage you will be getting in Australia.

You forget that Surry Hills is a super-cool, mega trendy suburb, aiming at being even more cool and trendy, and the way they weed out the undesirables is not to reduce prices, but to increase them, so the uncool like myself have no option other than to pay the rip off prices, or buy a slab of VB and drink it in the park.

Look, in Australia, we work for Aussie money and buy in Aussie shops, and it makes not a whit of difference what it costs in comparison in the UK or Timbuktu. The real question should be about the standard of living you can expect in Australia, on the wage you will be getting in Australia.

I still have a habit of comparing UK prices to Oz prices and wish I could get over it - of course the UK looks cheap when you are earning $AUD. Some things ARE much cheaper in UK even taking earnings into account such as shoes. But most things balance out - earning AUD and buying in UK pounds where you can is rather nice though!

Archived