cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

I still have a habit of comparing UK prices to Oz prices and wish I could get over it - of course the UK looks cheap when you are earning $AUD. Some things ARE much cheaper in UK even taking earnings into account such as shoes. But most things balance out - earning AUD and buying in UK pounds where you can is rather nice though!

Would you reckon that the time that you stop doing the comparison thing is the time that you are reconciled in your mind that you will not, one day, possibly return to live in the UK?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forget that Surry Hills is a super-cool, mega trendy suburb, aiming at being even more cool and trendy, and the way they weed out the undesirables is not to reduce prices, but to increase them, so the uncool like myself have no option other than to pay the rip off prices, or buy a slab of VB and drink it in the park.

So, you are obviously happy to pay the $9.50 then, just to look cool and trendy. Good on you MR. I am sure that everyone will be impressed by the look. :wacko:

It does depend where you drink, we tend to go to see bands and the bar prices are cheap. This weekend we stayed in Newcastle, my OH ordered a pint and a G&T at the hotel bar and got a fiver out - it was just under £11!! We've not paid those sort of prices since we lived in Perth! We quickly moved on to seedier places :)

It does depend where you drink, we tend to go to see bands and the bar prices are cheap. This weekend we stayed in Newcastle, my OH ordered a pint and a G&T at the hotel bar and got a fiver out - it was just under £11!! We've not paid those sort of prices since we lived in Perth! We quickly moved on to seedier places :)

I live in newcastle! Which hotel were you in?

I was at a golden wedding anniversary party on Saturday night at a working men's club and a G&T was around £2.20 which is very cheap!!!

So, you are obviously happy to pay the $9.50 then, just to look cool and trendy. Good on you MR. I am sure that everyone will be impressed by the look. :wacko:

I won't make a habit of going to that particular pub, but the staff were friendly, so I might go there from time to time. I paid $7.50 for schooners in two pubs in Surry Hills - Forresters and Cricketers Arms, which is still dear, but acceptable. I live in Surry Hills so I have to go somewhere.

I live in newcastle! Which hotel were you in?

I was at a golden wedding anniversary party on Saturday night at a working men's club and a G&T was around £2.20 which is very cheap!!!

We were staying in the Copthorne, we had our Silver Wedding Anniversary celebration at the Globe - Vodka shots £1....it wasn't pretty :)

I saw a pub tonight - The Forresters - has $5 steaks on Mondays, cheap eh?

There are heaps of pubs that do that sort of thing here MR. The one nearest to us, opposite a lovely park and a beach has a happy hour with $6 Killkenny and cheap meals ever night. Different meals on different nights. Went with a mate who's wife is in England at the moment. Really good value.