cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dubai's gross domestic product as of 2011 was US $83.4 billion.[89] Although Dubai's economy was built on the back of the oil industry,[90] revenues from oil and natural gas currently account for less than 7% of the emirate's revenues.[9] It is estimated that Dubai produces 50,000 to 70,000 barrels (11,000 m3) of oil a day[91] and substantial quantities of gas from offshore fields. The emirate's share in UAE's gas revenues is about 2%. Dubai's oil reserves have diminished significantly and are expected to be exhausted in 20 years.[92] Real estate and construction (22.6%),[11] trade (16%), entrepôt (15%) and financial services (11%) are the largest contributors to Dubai's economy.[93] Dubai's top exporting destinations include India (US$5.8 billion), Switzerland (US$2.37 billion) and Saudi Arabia (US$0.57 billion). Dubai's top re-exporting destinations include India (US$6.53 billion), Iran (US$5.8 billion) and Iraq (US$2.8 billion). The emirate's top import sources are India (US$12.55 billion), China (US$11.52 billion) and the United States (US$7.57 billion). As of 2009, India was Dubai's largest trade partner.

7%

"Dubai's economy was built on the back of the oil industry". If you like the place so much move there...

Just admire places like it, Singapore, HongKong, Doha.. Come so far in short space of time.. They have vision and very high tech cities, shot past australia by 20 years. The way things are heading here is your put a compass on the cbd, draw a 50km ring around it and cram everybody in the rings. Such a waste as this country has the potential to be a fantastic place to live. We just need some very ambitious and forward thinking young people in power who can Cleary see the need for new major cities to be built up and down the east and especially the west Coast. This is fast becoming the smallest largest country in the world.

Just don't belive the 1,2,3 of your points..

Don't believe me. Just go talk to developers of new subdivisions.

So this country will never grow more than 50km outside of major hubs..?

Greater Melbourne is already 1800+ square km - 20% larger than Greater London.

But when you compare population density (21 per hectare in Melbourne to 4,761 in London), Melbourne is hardly cramming them in like sardines.

They need to build new cities to make use of this land

A new city needs employment before people will move there. You obviously need to offer your services to Regional Development Australia because they are crying out for ways to grow regional centres and stop the drift to the big cities.

And then solve the other big problem for the driest populated continent on the planet - providing water for new cities.

The Middle East puts us all to shame

Yes, it's such a desirable location. Can't imagine why we aren't all migrating there in hordes. :rolleyes:

Don't believe me. Just go talk to developers of new subdivisions.

Greater Melbourne is already 1800+ square km - 20% larger than Greater London.

But when you compare population density (21 per hectare in Melbourne to 4,761 in London), Melbourne is hardly cramming them in like sardines.

A new city needs employment before people will move there. You obviously need to offer your services to Regional Development Australia because they are crying out for ways to grow regional centres and stop the drift to the big cities.

And then solve the other big problem for the driest populated continent on the planet - providing water for new cities.

Yes, it's such a desirable location. Can't imagine why we aren't all migrating there in hordes. :rolleyes:

Ok leave things how it is... ' she'll be right '

I withdrew $100 from the ANZ in Crown St, Surry Hills, on Sat lunchtime, and I've got 5 bucks left on Monday morning. Where did it all go? And what makes it worse, is that I paid for a heap of stuff on my credit card as well, six pack of Coopers from the Royal Exhibition hotel on Sun evening $20.50, 3 bucks a schooner, compared to buying them over the bar for $6.20. I basically spent it on beer, coffee, and meals out, though I was shouting somone on Sat eve, but that was cancelled out by people buying me Sun lunch and providing food at Sun night BBQ.

Maybe 50 quid would have slipped through my fingers just as rapidly in England!?

Because I read all the time about families being advised that they can survive on $80000 a year , you know cut their cloth and all that.

I think someone on $80,000 a year is a long way from being broke. 'course if you're planning to have trips back to the UK to see family on a regular basis I can't see the point in emigrating thinking you can make a go of it. You would be forever saving up for the next trip.

You need to take a look at the new build estates going up past butler.. They may not be joint but put your arms out and your touch each others walls. And a garden that you can only put a table and chairs. It's greed at its highest, a country rich in land .. Piss take big time

Long way from a 1890's mid terrace we had to start in, that just about needed knocking down and rebuilding. At least you are getting a new build that you wouldn't have to worry about how you are going to afford to make it liveable.

Those type of houses are going to suit some people and not others. How long would it take you to save up for an equivalent place in the UK? I've seen posts on here about how much land there is available in the UK when people say how overcrowded it is, so the same argument could be used about land usage there.

Some of the happiest people in the world (obviously not affected by war and persecution) are the poorest. I suppose the difference for them is they are not surrounded by constant reminders of people who have more and they derive happiness from their family, friends and just have far less expectation in life I suppose. Unfortunately we're surrounded by people who have more than us and often reckon if we have that we'll be happier. Walk down the street there's a house bigger than yours, there's a car more expensive than yours, your neighbors are always jetting off for holidays here there and everywhere. Open the papers and celebrities with more money than talent are idolized and envied.

House prices are dominated by greed here and in UK, sad state of affairs. People are obsessed with how much their house is worth. And if I invite friends round one evening I'm just as happy to entertain them in my small home as its their company I want, nothing else.

I think the bigger house is a small part of the overall package. I would still live here if I had the same size house I had in the UK. Size of house, sort of car, number of holidays doesn't bother me. I spend more time away from the house here, enjoying myself. Still feel like it's a holiday destination when I'm not at work and make the most of it.

This is home and I don't think about the UK as home anymore. That's one of the reasons we've settled in so well.

I'll say it for the last time... We live in a country bigger than Europe so can you please tell me why newbuild houses in Australia don't have gardens ...? Greed by any chance.. Back to the UK and a large percentage of land is green belt, which as far as I know is being looked at for building on. I was back 18 months ago and looked at newbuilds in royal Tunbridge wells and can assure you 100% that the gardens were larger.not big by any means but still larger than the patio you get in newbuilds here.

You mentioned one area North of Butler where new builds didn't have gardens. I'll take your word for it as I haven't checked. Maybe there's someone North of Butler can confirm what you say. There's no point in the argument "newbuild houses in Australia don't have gardens". That's just not true, plenty of new builds going up with heaps of garden. You pay what you can afford and I'm sure the ones without gardens are probably first time buyers and people looking to get into the market. We all had to start somewhere.

Your just not happy here and find negatives in everything.

So where's the outdoor life style if you have no garden..? It means you have to go out every time to get outside..!!!

We spend heaps of time outdoors but not very much of it in our garden, which is pretty big btw. I would love if the house was a lot bigger and took up more of the garden, I hate gardening with a vengeance but it has to be done when you have two big lawns and garden round the edge. I would swap it tomorrow for another room or two and less garden.

There are heaps of parks where the council pays for good facilities, play areas, climbing gear for the kids. Stuff that we would never be able to afford at home. The kids used to love going to parks too as there were always other kids to play with. Obviously beach is just down the road too so most of our outdoor time is spent there.

The outdoor lifestyle is available to everyone, whether they have a small garden or not. Up to you whether you make use of it though.

Just don't belive the 1,2,3 of your points.. So this country will never grow more than 50km outside of major hubs..? They need to build new cities to make use of this land. The Middle East puts us all to shame

So you'd prefer to go and live in one of those high rise towers in an apartment in the Middle East then?:no: If you don't like the heat here Paul I think you would really struggle there. My niece, husband and 3 kids have just moved to Qatar. They are both teachers and would have loved to come here but they couldn't get in at the moment. It was the only way forward they could see as they were on one of the last of the 100% mortgages and the house is not yet worth what they paid for it when they bought it.

They are in a 3 bed apartment with 3 kids. It's hardly been below 40 degrees since they've been there and the only place they seem to go "out" is mega shopping centres that have big play areas for the kids.

You can keep the middle East.

Ok leave things how it is... ' she'll be right '

We've been here 22 years and I've never lived anywhere where I've seen so much development in such a short time. When we came to live here the freeway stopped at Henderson. Marmion Avenue was a quite 2 lane road, no trains North or South, Joondalup was all planned with roads and lights in the middle of the bush with no buildings.

I withdrew $100 from the ANZ in Crown St, Surry Hills, on Sat lunchtime, and I've got 5 bucks left on Monday morning. Where did it all go? And what makes it worse, is that I paid for a heap of stuff on my credit card as well, six pack of Coopers from the Royal Exhibition hotel on Sun evening $20.50, 3 bucks a schooner, compared to buying them over the bar for $6.20. I basically spent it on beer, coffee, and meals out, though I was shouting somone on Sat eve, but that was cancelled out by people buying me Sun lunch and providing food at Sun night BBQ.

Maybe 50 quid would have slipped through my fingers just as rapidly in England!?

yes it would have for sure

£2.50 - £3.25 a pint , £5-6 for a 175ml glass of wine

A 2 course meal will set you back £25

you wont have much change left for a taxi home

Should move to northern Tassie mate..Live on a beautiful hillside development with fantastic views of the Bass strait, river and forests...absolute paradise with no human noise...and no one is buying the sections...Ive found my paradise..

But the weathers no better than the UK and there are very few jobs. You could have moved to somewhere in the UK and had what you have there.

Archived