cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again though, do you mean we would need to be earning the equivalent of 90k English for similar lifestyle or 90k once it's been converted into dollars?

I think the poster is saying that you would need to earn $90,000 Australian dollars here in Oz to afford the same sort of lifestyle a salary of 40,000 pounds would give you in the UK - so NOT Aussie the equivalent of 90,000 pounds.

I think the poster is saying that you would need to earn $90,000 Australian dollars here in Oz to afford the same sort of lifestyle a salary of 40,000 pounds would give you in the UK - so NOT Aussie the equivalent of 90,000 pounds.

That's it. I would think $90k would be a similar lifestyle. Unless you lived in a really cheap area of the UK

When you say as long as your salary is 2.2$ to the £ do you mean once it's converted? ie 30k in £'s is converted into 49k$ If you use the the current rate or do mean that you would have to be earning 2.2 x your salary ie 2.2 x 30k so you would need to earn £66k and then convert it into $??

What it means is: forget the pound sign and the dollar sign or conversions, just look at the numbers. What salary can you expect to earn in Australia? It needs to be at least 2.2 times the number you're earning in the UK to stay at the same level of comfort. So, if you're earning 30,000 (pounds) in the UK, then you'd need to earn at least 66,000 (dollars) to have about the same standard of living. \

Though I'd say you should multiply by 2.5 instead, given the expense of housing and cars.

Edited by Marisawright

That's it. I would think $90k would be a similar lifestyle. Unless you lived in a really cheap area of the UK

We were back on holiday in the UK last year and expected finding things cheaper. We didn't tbh. If we wanted to take the parents and in-laws out for a nice meal in a nice place it was just as expensive as here. Sure you can go to weatherpersons and get something cheap but here you could take them to a food hall for an equivalent nosh up, probably with a lot more choice and you wouldn't have to buy a pint as well.

It's a waste of time trying to compare "lifestyle" as they can be so completely different just by having good weather and maybe being close to the Ocean and beach. Whilst housing has certainly increased in price I think the bang for buck you get in Aus, again can't be compared to some houses in England. I don't think there is an equivalent to a mid terrace, at least not that I've seen in Perth. Nearest I've seen are those old places in Sydney with the filigree balconies that seem to be worth big bucks for some reason.

What it means is: forget the pound sign and the dollar sign or conversions, just look at the numbers. What salary can you expect to earn in Australia? It needs to be at least 2.2 times the number you're earning in the UK to stay at the same level of comfort. So, if you're earning 30,000 (pounds) in the UK, then you'd need to earn at least 66,000 (dollars) to have about the same standard of living. \

Though I'd say you should multiply by 2.5 instead, given the expense of housing and cars.

Thats the thing, obviously Sydney would require more money than elsewhere so the multiplier varies where you are coming from and to.

My Aussie income has always been less than my UK income using the 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever the rule is. No wonder I've been living the life of a pauper these last five years in Sydney!

It's all BS, as far as I'm concerned. Just because the UK and Austraila are two, very similar First World economies, you can't reduce it to a simple debit/credit spreadsheet to find out if it is worth coming to OZ or not.

I thought about lots of things when I was making my plans to come to OZ back in 1978, but the thing I never thought about was comparing salaries and costs of living. Maybe I should have done, but if I had, I would probably still be living in England.

Once you have made the decision to come here, maybe even when you are seriously thinking about it, you are already changing your mindset

Forget about FX rates and 2.5, etc, ad nauseam. Just carry through with your plans. You will almost certainly regret not coming if you do change your mind.

We were back on holiday in the UK last year and expected finding things cheaper. We didn't tbh. If we wanted to take the parents and in-laws out for a nice meal in a nice place it was just as expensive as here. Sure you can go to weatherpersons and get something cheap but here you could take them to a food hall for an equivalent nosh up, probably with a lot more choice and you wouldn't have to buy a pint as well.

It's a waste of time trying to compare "lifestyle" as they can be so completely different just by having good weather and maybe being close to the Ocean and beach. Whilst housing has certainly increased in price I think the bang for buck you get in Aus, again can't be compared to some houses in England. I don't think there is an equivalent to a mid terrace, at least not that I've seen in Perth. Nearest I've seen are those old places in Sydney with the filigree balconies that seem to be worth big bucks for some reason.

They may have been built originally as 'workers' homes, but as most of them are in the inner city suburbs, they have become more and more desirable as people want to live close to the city and also to avoid commuting/

My Aussie income has always been less than my UK income using the 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever the rule is. No wonder I've been living the life of a pauper these last five years in Sydney!

It's all BS, as far as I'm concerned. Just because the UK and Austraila are two, very similar First World economies, you can't reduce it to a simple debit/credit spreadsheet to find out if it is worth coming to OZ or not.

I thought about lots of things when I was making my plans to come to OZ back in 1978, but the thing I never thought about was comparing salaries and costs of living. Maybe I should have done, but if I had, I would probably still be living in England.

Once you have made the decision to come here, maybe even when you are seriously thinking about it, you are already changing your mindset

Forget about FX rates and 2.5, etc, ad nauseam. Just carry through with your plans. You will almost certainly regret not coming if you do change your mind.

you try telling that to people who ain't got a pot to piss in

quite the know-it-all tonight aren't we?

I'm full of knowledge every night, thanks for noticing :smile:

and Paul, you can fly for much less than $2000 with even the better airlines such as Singapore for way under 30 hours unless you are talking about christmas?

I'm full of knowledge every night, thanks for noticing :smile:

and Paul, you can fly for much less than $2000 with even the better airlines such as Singapore for way under 30 hours unless you are talking about christmas?

Your fly for less at off peak times and longer stopovers . I think the op has kids so you need to multiply 1500 by ???like I said if your skint your not going anywhere

It does at $2000 a ticket to go see your family

Another reason NOT to come, if you are going to spend all your time planning trips back home. We all like to do it, of course, but it's not a game changer and if it is, then Australia is not the place for you. My brother loved our parents but he made two trips back in 25 years.

They always say things come in three's .. Good luck

I suppose you believe in fairies too Paul. Goes along with the thoughts you probably have that Paradise comes to you on a plate without having to work for it. Also, nothing wrong with flying with Malaysian Airline. We have done so several times in the past, and will do in the future.