What were your reasons to move to oz.

RUDDMACE

I would be really interested to know what reasons members of this forum had for making the big move to Oz.

Now and again I just panic a little in my justifications for the move and whether I am doing it for the right reasons.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated ?

Regards,

Wendy.

Fell in love with it as a mere backpacker- hard to settle back into UK life on my return- met someone here, got a job offer, ended up following fate and seeing what happened....now almost a decade on completely torn, but if you asked me 9 years ago, i would've said; weather, space, positive people, opportunity, better off financially. Sadly the last one is no longer true, but I still enjoy the others. Will be returning eventually to the UK however as love it but also love my family.

Guest Guest66881

Somewhere to spend our hard earned cash under a bright blue sky with a sun beating down on your forehead while the kids play happily on a beach free of people wearing knotted hankies on their heads, oh and the sausages:wink:

I always wanted that Gap year when all my mates came here, I wasnt handed money from parents so had to work in the UK in sh*t jobs when all my mates were off travelling and having fun..

From then on I wanted to come here and give it a go

I did a few years ago now and to be honest I will say I like it but its no different than living in the UK really which I also like, infact I've less good mates and family here but over time that will shift.

Less humour here and its a bit boring too and Perth is very isolated to go away for the weekend (down south gets boring after the tenth time). It suites young families though.

I dont intend staying forever, a few more years maybe, see what happens

I think a real change in life style would be to move to a non westernised country

Fell in love with it as a backpacker and wanted to move permanently for years.

It also works well being much closer to my wife's family in Indonesia meaning she can visit them more regularly, and it's easier for them to visit her.

It will also mean we can finally buy a house. Thanks to me being an irresponsible backpacker my credit history is shot to pieces and I have no chance of getting a mortgage in the UK anytime soon. Aus will be a fresh start.

John Williamson

Miscellaneous

Home Among The Gum Tree's

I've been around the world a couple of times, or maybe more,

I've seen the sights, I've had delights on every foreign shore,

but when my mates all ask me the place that I adore,

I tell them right away.

Give me a home among the gum trees,

with lots of plum trees, a sheep or two, a ka-kangaroo.

A clothes line out the back, verandah out the front,

and an old rocking chair.

You can see me in the kitchen cooking up a roast,

or Vegemite on toast, just you and me, a cup of tea.

And later on we'll settle down and mull up on the porch,

and watch the possums play.

There's a Safeway up the corner, and a Wooly’s down the street,

a brand new place theyve opened up where they regulate the heat,

but I'd trade them all tomorrow for a simple bush retreat

where the kookaburras call.

Some people like their houses with fences all around,

others live in mansions, and some beneath the ground.

But Me, I like the bush, you know with rabbits running 'round,

and a pumpkin vine out the back.

We are about to move for the following reasons

Adventure

Opportunities

To snap out of the UK rat race, the stupidly long hours, impossible expectations and poor management practices.

To treat ourselves, we have spent 40 years in UK, now to experience something a little different.

In conclusion I did not want to wake up at 80 and think 'well that's it'

S

Adventure

Opportunities

To snap out of the UK rat race, the stupidly long hours, impossible expectations and poor management practices.

To treat ourselves, we have spent 40 years in UK, now to experience something a little different.

S

You will probably still work stupidly long hours and experience even poorer management practices !......but it will be an adventure. Good luck and stay positive.:cute:

I married an Aussie but we never thought we'd move there - now we're heading to rural Victoria next year and cant wait :)

We have lots of reasons specific to our situation like closer to family, better financial security, space and sun to raise our kids, better schools, I could go on. But really, it comes down to wanting an adventure.

Me and my partner don't have children so an obvious opportunity has arisen to make more of our spare time. Also I am tired of our country's political issues, immigration, and the Justice system. For us, the UK doesn't hold whatever spark it used to. We are both outdoorsy people, love good weather, and bbq's. My partner has extended family in Oz so we would get support. Its just quite a scary proposition and exciting at the same time.

Adventure

Opportunities

S

As someone else said, you may still work long hours here - Aussies do work long hours, especially in the cities. I imagine if you are a stockbroker, banker, etc in Sydney, then you will be working just the same as if you were doing it in London or New York.

But, coming to Australia, you are breaking out of your routine, and hopefully, it will be the 'same but different!' (Plus an eight month summer, as opposed to an eight month winter!)

And, in the UK, 'Winter is coming!'

Archived