going back to uk and can't wait

jb39

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have got to try it Nikki you will regret not trying . You will always feel what if and that's y you need to do it , you will be ok uk is only a day away anyway lol .

Yep your right, both myself and husband Andy are really keen to try, nothing ventured nothing gained an all that.

What Wattsy is saying makes a lot of sense and its such a shame its not working out for you. Don't think we are under any illusions its the end of the rainbow but our lives here in UK, although comfortable, are boring and think we need this wether its going to work or not, to get away from the routine of life here and give the kids some life experience while we, and they, are young enough!!

My husband worked in the far east for some time (just as we met in 1995) and when he returned he said it was difficult to adapt back to UK life because of the experiences he had, that very few people understood what was out there.

We are older parents at 45 with kids at 7 and 11 because we were selfish people wanting to live before we settled down but feel we owe the experience to our kids and give them the option to make their minds up where they want to be. In our opinion Australia, verging on a positive economy, is one of the best places for that. We are not tied to particular work or a state as we have a 175 visa so at worst its hubby Andys wish to buy a Split screen bug and spend a year touring ;-)

Yep your right, both myself and husband Andy are really keen to try, nothing ventured nothing gained an all that.

What Wattsy is saying makes a lot of sense and its such a shame its not working out for you. Don't think we are under any illusions its the end of the rainbow but our lives here in UK, although comfortable, are boring and think we need this wether its going to work or not, to get away from the routine of life here and give the kids some life experience while we, and they, are young enough!!

My husband worked in the far east for some time (just as we met in 1995) and when he returned he said it was difficult to adapt back to UK life because of the experiences he had, that very few people understood what was out there.

We are older parents at 45 with kids at 7 and 11 because we were selfish people wanting to live before we settled down but feel we owe the experience to our kids and give them the option to make their minds up where they want to be. In our opinion Australia, verging on a positive economy, is one of the best places for that. We are not tied to particular work or a state as we have a 175 visa so at worst its hubby Andys wish to buy a Split screen bug and spend a year touring ;-)

Day to day things such as house, kindy/schools jobs etc are working out but for us its all irrelevant if you have no one to share the life with.

I Love the idea of touring for a year, its a great country for that.

We were in the unlucky (if you can call it that) situation where we had great lives in the UK, it wasnt boring, stressful, isolated, we were never needing pay day etc so we always knew we would struggle here and that Aus would have to be pretty special all round to top it.

You are not selfish having kids at a older age hunnie lol , blimming Eck I was 18 when I had my first and although I wouldn't change a thing now I love the bones of me kids I'll wipe their backside for them if they asked me lol .

I do sit and think sometimes oh gosh I should of gone study ect... And had them later , there is no crystal ball on life if there was I would go buy one lol.

My hubby always says to me many time when I say I feel a thicko , he says I married you because ya special and you make me laugh , and nothing normally bothers you . Australia has tested me there though haha . But he also says I have a lot of common sense and I'll run rings round people . But travel does broaden the mind . Each to it's own your kids are young enough to adapt anyway . So go for it you will be fine .

:wink: Listen I'll just add , don't care about what other people say , you do what's best for you , only you will know what's best for you . My hubby when he reads things on here just laughs . He wouldn't touch forums with a barge pole or fb . Lol . He often tells me off , but I take no notice lol.

he wouldn't read em but I make him lol just read . But he doesn't give a monkies and that is the best way be . Wish you lots of luck on ya new adventure .

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Good luck! No one is saying don't go and have an adventure, far from it, we've all done it! It's just the "better future for the kids" meme that grates (when you've been here a while you'll see LOL). Own it for what it is - an adult itch for adventure, scratch it by all means. Your kids are young enough that you've got about 3 years up your sleeve before their education becomes of paramount importance if you think about moving on. Don't discount the isolation factor - that seems to be what affects many new migrants. You'll have to be very selfish and self sufficient to make a go of it!

Usual advice is not to burn any bridges in this day and age (take a career break, rent out the house etc) - Aus is suffering the after effects of 6 years of maladministration so not as rosy as it once was and whilst UK is on the up, Aus is lagging about 4-5 yrs behind it. It's just another first world country after all and hopefully the first world won't be going under any time soon although we could all be in a pickle before too long, who knows!

Hi all

Ive been reading this thread quite a bit recently as ive just booked my ticket to go back to the UK at the end of this month.

Its been a huge decision as I came out here 2.5 years ago, got a good job, sponsored and then residency. I met my boyfriend here (who is Scottish) and we had a great time exploring WA its been amazing.. however ive always thought about the UK..its always been in the back of my mind. I didn't intend to stay out here forever..i came out on a working holiday visa and met my boyfriend who wanted to stay here (he came out with the intention of migrating) and time ticks on and before you know it 2.5 years have passed!

My family came over at Christmas and it was great but when they left it was awful. We went home on a holiday for the first time in April this year and when we landed at Heathrow I could have kissed the ground I was so happy to be back. It was so great I loved every minute of it which my boyfriend did too but I could tell he was dying to get back to oz! It was on this trip that I knew I had to come back to the UK which would mean breaking up the relationship.

Its been a NIGHTMARE to say the least having to leave my boyfriend...as we have been everything for each other for the past 2.5 years in oz stability familiarity etc. He has tried to persuade me stay or make me see sense as he says... but my parents are in there mid to late sixties and while I know this is by no means old I want to spend time with them and just pop round to my mums for a cuppa or go to down London to see my brother for a weekend.

For me ive realised what makes me happy isn't the sunshine and beaches but the people that are in your life. Yes the weather is amazing and lifestyle but do I want my kids to only know their grandparents through a yearly visit and Skype!! no thanks. Im hoping that I wont live to regret this decision and its a big one.

Just my story there sorry to go on!

Hannah

x

For me ive realised what makes me happy isn't the sunshine and beaches but the people that are in your life. Yes the weather is amazing and lifestyle but do I want my kids to only know their grandparents through a yearly visit and Skype!! no thanks.

Exactly my thoughts and reasons to move back. Now I'm back and see how MY LIFE changed again coming back and I wonder if that was worth it. We adopted a different lifestyle down under and can't do that back home. The every day warmth, climate and hobbies you could pursue the whole year round had a serious impact on how we felt. The heat every minute of the day, made us so happy. And that's so hard for us right now. But having the option to call any of many friends right now who will be there for you, is so important as well. Only to realise We had a few friends in Australia as well who would do that for us.

Both my heart and mind are split in two. And it really feels like bleeding every day. I wish I never thought about migrating at all. Sure it can enrich your life, but for the last 2 years (both in Australia and back home) it feels like a burden instead.

For me ive realised what makes me happy isn't the sunshine and beaches but the people that are in your life. Yes the weather is amazing and lifestyle but do I want my kids to only know their grandparents through a yearly visit and Skype!! no thanks. Im hoping that I wont live to regret this decision and its a big one.

Agreed - I could have written this!

to fOL, give the move time to adjust and just see Australia as an experience. I understand fully what you mean about wishing you'd never done it as maybe your feel you will get no peace of mind at always looking back, the mind works in strange ways and you tend to remember only the good times and not the bad. Just concentrate on what the UK does have to offer, we moved back from WA to the UK and I love being back surrounded by the Derbyshire countryside and country pubs, love going for walks in the country. For me, WA just didn't do it, hated the summers, far too hot for me and couldn't get a job in little old Bunbury so I have no regrets moving back. The UK is definitely picking up work wise, my husband who is an engineer has had a lot of job offers. We are presently living with family until our house purchase goes through so it has been difficult but I know that will change, its not the same living with family full time as opposed to seeing them once/twice a week lol! I moved from New Zealand to WA after spending 11 years there, that was my happy place and I often look back to my life there and wish we'd never moved, however, it was the work we moved for, but I see it as a great experience and now we have to look forward here. You have to work hard to make it work for you again back in the UK, but you get there eventually.

I find it weird anyone would want to move back. i can see why WA is not to everyone's tastes. But after living in Melbourne I have found it hard to be happy and settled anywhere else.

Horses for courses Jack ... we all like something different

I have been many places and have lived in oz for nearly 6 yrs. But enough is enough! !

Had enough of

whinging aussies

people who don't wear shoes or shirts in supermarkets

People out in the streets in pajamas

looser drivers

crap roads

crap pubs

crap houses that are freezing in winter

expensive .....everything

racist people

high tax I have to pay

pay when you go to the doctor

how they bang on about medical insurance

million adverts every 10 mins on tv

radios that play the same music day in day out

asshole cops just looking to make revenue

flies

This country is 30 yrs behind the rest of the world

corrupt government

alcoholed fuel violence

the poor level of English spoken

bad language

No history

that pointless AFL

Bad loosers in sports

I have met many great people here. But for me the bad points out way the good.

I love living in Australia but I can recognise some truths in this. The trick is to recognise the faults and accept them if the benefits outweigh the negatives. For some people the negatives out weigh the positives and for them they weigh heavy and become unacceptable.

Don't mean to be picky but you just described UK to quite a degree. Bad roads, taxes, govornment...blah blah blah. kids in pyjamas drunks fighting. Its the same for those things everywhere. It's realy about making the most of the oportunities placed in front of you.

Good luck though and I mean that honestly. For me tho I still feel that Australia is a great country that can offer a good lifestyle if you embrace the Australian cultur and assimilate your self as an Aussy.

• 5 months later...

We have now been back in the uk for 6 months now. I now get: child tax credit, working tax credit, child benefit, FREE dental care, yes correct! !!! I don't have to pay a penny. My mrs is getting a crown done for FREE. Help from the government to buy fresh fruit and veg. And help with my rent I am paying for a house for us to stay in. And don't have this "medicare gap" bollocks here. Free doctors. All this help has enabled me to start up my own business. Instead of being in Australia, being entitled to zero, and being ripped off on the tax of 48% in the dollar, for getting my butt out of bed at 4am every day for 55 hrs a week to try and make ends meet. I'm so glad I'm home.

I have to admit the expense of Australia gets me down.. just this year I have bills for braces $7.5K for my daughter, Root Canal and dental surgery $5K for my son from an accident at the skate park and then to polish things off I needed root canal work costing $2K. I earn good money but it just seems to disappear so I really don't know how others get by..

"
I now get: child tax credit, working tax credit, child benefit, FREE dental care, yes correct! !!! I don't have to pay a penny.

My mrs is getting a crown done for FREE.

Help from the government to buy fresh fruit and veg.

And help with my rent I am paying for a house for us to stay in.

Free doctors
."

Just because you're not paying for it, doesn't mean its free...

I, and millions of others
ARE
paying for it though...

Free? Are you not paying NI contributions? Sounds like you've got all the benefits you need. Pretty much the norm for new immigrants to Britain then :wink: Seriously though good luck with your settling in :wubclub:

Yes I am paying NI but only £30 a week as opposed to the £300 a week I was paying in Australia. Plus because I have been out of the country and haven't earned 10k yet, I dont pay any tax.

Those highlighted in red can also be found in the UK they are not unique to Australia, I could list another 101 faults that the UK has but can't be arsed.............................enjoy your trip back.

Hopefully you'll come back on once back in the UK and give some practical advice to those returning (or you could just whinge and whine quite a few do that as well) :wink:

The pubs are awesome in the UK ! and who doesnt have warm house in winter in the UK ? as for rasism...its horrendous here ! why dont you ever see black faces reading the news or presenting current affairs etc or black doctors - where are they all ? its so racist it almost funny.

The pubs are awesome in the UK ! and who doesnt have warm house in winter in the UK ? as for rasism...its horrendous here ! why dont you ever see black faces reading the news or presenting current affairs etc or black doctors - where are they all ? its so racist it almost funny.

Who doesn't have a warm house in winter in the UK? Loads of people!!

Who doesn't have a warm house in winter in the UK? Loads of people!!

Really? All the houses I've been in have been far too hot - ye Gods, what do they have the heating turned up to? My parents have our house cranked up so high I can't sit in the lounge with them!

Really? All the houses I've been in have been far too hot - ye Gods, what do they have the heating turned up to? My parents have our house cranked up so high I can't sit in the lounge with them!

That was my dad too Quoll - when we stayed over we used to bake, it was so warm, double glazing and heating on.

Do you mean in Aus? My medical colleagues are from India, Singapore, Bangladesh, Eastern Europe ... and that's here in Aus