going back to uk and can't wait

jb39

It may seem that benefit abuse is horrendous from the various tv documentaries and newspaper headlines, but the government’s own figures show that less than 1% of UK benefit claims are fraudulent. The remaining 99% are all tarred with the same brush though, irrespective of the fact that it can actually be really difficult to get help when you desperately need it.

And facts, like pensioners accounting for the biggest chunk of the welfare budget, or even that much bigger sums are lost through tax evasion and avoidance compared to working age benefit fraud, are all glossed over or ignored to a pretty large extent. Maybe it is easier to make a programme about Joe Bloggs who has never worked a day in his life than it is to focus on dry stuff like tax evasion and the huge amounts the UK taxpayer subsidises big business. Whatever the reason, the media seems to reinforce a view about the unemployed and the welfare system that, personally, I don’t think is real or fair to the vast majority of vulnerable people struggling to survive on the benefits they receive. T x

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand watching these benefit programs. It just makes me mad that people sit and believe that the people on there are the same as most people on benefits. My mum watches it and I just have to leave the room. We attack normal people while letting the government and massive companies get away with worse.

I can't stand watching these benefit programs. It just makes me mad that people sit and believe that the people on there are the same as most people on benefits. My mum watches it and I just have to leave the room. We attack normal people while letting the government and massive companies get away with worse.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And if the government admits 1% of claims are fraudulent, you can bet your bottom dollar that the real figure is closer to 10%!

The DWP claim that fraudulent benefit claims amounted to around £900 million in 2008–09

£900 million is a lot of nurses, hospital beds, and old age care. (And that's only the fraud that's caught!

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And if the government admits 1% of claims are fraudulent, you can bet your bottom dollar that the real figure is closer to 10%!

£900 million is a lot of nurses, hospital beds, and old age care. (And that's only the fraud that's caught!

Of course it isn't right but if the energy people wasted on vitriol about 'scroungers, migrants, freeloaders, insert here the latest scapegoat' was spent on helping the 99% (or even 90%) in desperate need or focussing on the much greater loss to the public purse caused by tax avoidance then we'd have a much better society. We will never have a completely law-abiding society but lets be pragmatic.

£35 BILLION is an awful lot more nurses, hospital beds and old age care and that's the official figure of tax avoidance from HMRC (again the actual future will be much higher)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/11/uk-tax-gap-rises-hmrc-avoidance-nonpayment

Ha ha, made me laugh! I came back to Oz April 1st this year after a year back in the UK and have to agree with you! Off back to UK again in a few months time. Hopefully for good after 32 years here!

I have been many places and have lived in oz for nearly 6 yrs. But enough is enough! !

Had enough of

whinging aussies

people who don't wear shoes or shirts in supermarkets

People out in the streets in pajamas

looser drivers

crap roads

crap pubs

crap houses that are freezing in winter

expensive .....everything

racist people

high tax I have to pay

pay when you go to the doctor

how they bang on about medical insurance

million adverts every 10 mins on tv

radios that play the same music day in day out

asshole cops just looking to make revenue

flies

This country is 30 yrs behind the rest of the world

corrupt government

alcoholed fuel violence

the poor level of English spoken

bad language

No history

that pointless AFL

Bad loosers in sports

I have met many great people here. But for me the bad points out way the good.

Guest Guest66881

Had enough of:

whinging aussies - just as many other nations doing it.

people who don't wear shoes or shirts in supermarkets - as do some uk town folk.

People out in the streets in pajamas - most inner city estates have some doing the out and about in paisley suits and fluffy rabbit footwear.

looser drivers - everywhere there are roads lately.

crap roads - pothole uk springs to mind.

crap pubs - again everywhere in the world, on the decline pubs in the uk though.

crap houses that are freezing in winter - same as uk but all year round in some areas there.

expensive .....everything - depends what you want and how badly you really need it.

racist people - again world over issue.

high tax I have to pay - we all pay tax.

pay when you go to the doctor - so we all should.

how they bang on about medical insurance - because you should have it.

million adverts every 10 mins on tv - so much to purchase at those higher prices though.

radios that play the same music day in day out - just flick the dial or go digital.

asshole cops just looking to make revenue - again a world issue.

flies - it is a hot country what did you expect?

This country is 30 yrs behind the rest of the world - that's why entroponars do well here.

corrupt government - again a world issue.

alcoholed fuel violence - uk leads the western world on that front.

the poor level of English spoken - as is the uk of late.

bad language - another world issue.

No history - as much as America (only better).

that pointless AFL - that pointless any other division other than the prem.

Bad loosers in sports - Again another world issue.

Basically we are all very much of the same cloth, slight differences due to staining but that happens with continual usage over any period of time:wink:

Had enough of:

whinging aussies - just as many other nations doing it.

people who don't wear shoes or shirts in supermarkets - as do some uk town folk.

People out in the streets in pajamas - most inner city estates have some doing the out and about in paisley suits and fluffy rabbit footwear.

looser drivers - everywhere there are roads lately.

crap roads - pothole uk springs to mind.

crap pubs - again everywhere in the world, on the decline pubs in the uk though.

crap houses that are freezing in winter - same as uk but all year round in some areas there.

expensive .....everything - depends what you want and how badly you really need it.

racist people - again world over issue.

high tax I have to pay - we all pay tax.

pay when you go to the doctor - so we all should.

how they bang on about medical insurance - because you should have it.

million adverts every 10 mins on tv - so much to purchase at those higher prices though.

radios that play the same music day in day out - just flick the dial or go digital.

asshole cops just looking to make revenue - again a world issue.

flies - it is a hot country what did you expect?

This country is 30 yrs behind the rest of the world - that's why entroponars do well here.

corrupt government - again a world issue.

alcoholed fuel violence - uk leads the western world on that front.

the poor level of English spoken - as is the uk of late.

bad language - another world issue.

No history - as much as America (only better).

that pointless AFL - that pointless any other division other than the prem.

Bad loosers in sports - Again another world issue.

Basically we are all very much of the same cloth, slight differences due to staining but that happens with continual usage over any period of time:wink:

Why move then....?

This country is 30 yrs behind the rest of the world

In what way?

Australia is WAY ahead the rest of the world in many ways:

Look at the Aussie inventions saving lives...cervical cancer vaccine and leading the world in other cancer treatments

Anti flu meds

Spray on skin

Cochlear implants

Contact lenses

Plastic spec lenses

Ultrasound

Also thanks to the Aussies we have:

Underwater torpedos

Anti hacking software

Black box flight recorders

Tanks

Google Maps

Pacemakers

Wifi

Refrigerators

Electric drills

World's 1st full length feature film

etc etc etc

Australia also has THE best steak in the world IMO

And the friendliest people with a great sense of humour ( I only hear Poms whinge ....not Aussies)

How come you stayed so long if you are obviously hating being here????

It seems to me quite a few people return to the UK for one reason or another and then they feel the need to justify their decision making claims about Australia and Australians which would be quite laughable if they weren't so sad. I guess we all have to feel we are doing the right thing but if I went back I really wouldn't want to come on a forum like this, what's the point? To me we are supposed to be encouraging and supporting migrants and would-be migrants and giving suggestions or maybe just chatting but with help in mind. Ah well.

It seems to me quite a few people return to the UK for one reason or another and then they feel the need to justify their decision making claims about Australia and Australians which would be quite laughable if they weren't so sad. I guess we all have to feel we are doing the right thing but if I went back I really wouldn't want to come on a forum like this, what's the point? To me we are supposed to be encouraging and supporting migrants and would-be migrants and giving suggestions or maybe just chatting but with help in mind. Ah well.

In their view their right though.. People see things in different ways

While not a fan of Australia-bashing, I do think it's useful for UK returnees to share their stories. Potential migrants would get a very one-sided view of what it's like to live and work in Aus otherwise. Discovering that some people struggle with homesickness/culture shock/loneliness/situational depression after making the move IS helpful in my opinion.

And if we're criticizing people for coming back to a Poms in Oz forum after they have made the move, perhaps we should also criticise all those happy migrants who venture into the one part of the forum where those who are unhappy can voice their thoughts? To me this is the place where we support, encourage, offer advice and chat to people who are struggling here or have made the decision to MBTTUK.

(And for the record I dislike and disagree with the OP's list).

Edited by Aunt Agatha
  • Like 1

I get sick of people saying things like that. It works both ways - there's plenty people who have posted about their life in Australia and have had rude comments saying they must be boring, easily pleased etc. I can remember someone's thread being ruined. Both "sides" should be able to post without getting ripped

I get sick of people saying things like that. It works both ways - there's plenty people who have posted about their life in Australia and have had rude comments saying they must be boring, easily pleased etc. I can remember someone's thread being ruined. Both "sides" should be able to post without getting ripped

They should be but it will never happen, say you dislike oz and want to return and you are attacked by the pack.

They should be but it will never happen, say you dislike oz and want to return and you are attacked by the pack.

Well all I'm saying is that I've noticed a few people who don't ever attack others but they still get some of their posts attacked. Or get told that they shouldn't be posting or convincing themselves that they are happy. That's why I asked earlier if it includes the people who move back to the UK who also post about how great life is

Well all I'm saying is that I've noticed a few people who don't ever attack others but they still get some of their posts attacked. Or get told that they shouldn't be posting or convincing themselves that they are happy. That's why I asked earlier if it includes the people who move back to the UK who also post about how great life is

who?

Guest Guest 47403
Think it is brave to post this on this part of the forum knowing you would get ripped to shreds....mush safer on the forum that is for poms only and hidden from the main site.

Do you have access to that area as a successful returnee?

Do you have access to that area as a successful returnee?

Yes, people in Oz can also post on that hidden forum with views that they know would draw unfair criticism if posted on the main forums, its a good pressure valve for some to have a rant and air their fears and problems without fear of abuse.

Guest Guest 47403
Surely returnees are the best people to help with questions about moving back to the UK?!

Of course they are I haven't said they were not have I?