We have been here three years. Are we going back????

mr luvpants

Hi all

Theres been a lot of negative comments on here recently so I thought that I would post an update to cheer some of you up that are thinking of making that big move.

We had been here three years on the 29th December 2013 so I thought it was time for an update. My first post about our new life in Oz is here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/104518-luvpants-have-landed-our-arrival-report.html

So what has happened since we last "spoke"?

We rented in Peregian Springs first whilst I was in the Police Academy. 6 weeks into the academy I found that I was going to be completing my first year in Bribie Island and Caboolture. This was not what we wanted to hear as we wanted for me to stay on the Sunshine Coast. So we moved to Buderim so that I had less travel time. I completed my first year in the Police at those places and when I got confirmed I was told that no one gets the Sunshine Coast first off as a permanent posting and you have to earn it i.e. Work out west for two to three years and then get posted back. I had a chat to the boss indoors and we both agreed that if that had to be the way then that had to be done. You can imagine my surprise when I got a phone call to tell me that my permanent posting was …….Maroochydore! I could not believe my luck.

So we went straight out and bought a house in Mountain Creek. Got a 4 bedder with a lap pool for a song. Its a lovely house and we love living there. Work is great. On New years eve I was patrolling Mooloolaba beach on a quad bike. It don't get better than that!

Lisa has been doing really well at work as well and says that she would not have had the same opportunities in the Uk that she does here. She regularly gets seconded to the Sunshine Coast Uni so that she can facilitate students. She acts up on her ward regularly as well. She says the stress of the job here is way lower than it ever was in the UK.

Since we moved out here, Lisa's daughter has had a baby. We visited in March 2013 for the birth and I wondered how Lisa was going to feel as she always said that she was looking forward to having grandchildren. I asked her how she felt after we had been in the UK a week and she said that she lives in Australia now and every thing else has to fit in with that. She has her first solo trip back to the UK in June 2014 to see the baby again and this will be an annual thing.

We have bought a camper and intend on seeing as much of Australia as we can. Last month we drove from Mountain Creek to Carnovan Gorge, then onto Longreach and Winton, then Yeppoon and then back home. A the end of this month we are camping in South west rocks. Theres a lot to see. Even Ozzies "complain" that we have seen more of Australia than they have.

Over the last three years I have had a few moments of "what have I done" and "why am I here".I think I missed friends and family and the UK as a whole. But I have worked through them and have come out the other side. Luckily our marriage is rock solid and Lisa has been a great listener. At the end of the day we have done a big thing and its got to have an effect on you. I am settled now and could not imagine going back.When I went back to the UK for the birth, after a week I was blinking freezing and was missing Australia. Not having our kids here is hard and especially now that we have a grandson but we made the decision to come here and we were determined to make it work.

We have only just started to connect with new friends. We have a mixture of English and Australian friends. Our friends in the UK call and message us less and less the longer we are here which is to be expected. They have their lives to live as well I suppose.

So what next? At the end of this year we can apply for our citizenship. We have made Australia our home and are embracing it. WE WONT BE GOING BACK! Yes its expensive but we earn more here. Yes it gets hot but we knew that. Yes their driving is atrocious but hey theres only so many tickets I can give out at a time :-). But its also our home now.

Thanks for reading.

wow what a lovely positive post !! thanks for sharing . great motivation for others . im glad things are working so well for you . ive just read your first arrival report, very thorough and helpful info. you were both obviously very motivated and it has paid off! what was the education provider you used in the uk to do the justice course for oz, please? i want to get my husband to take a look, thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow I remember back to the days of you in a sexy firemans outfit :laugh: time has flown. I saw the photo of you on the quad and agree its a lot better than patrolling the streets in the UK. I am really happy for you both as I know how hard you worked to get here and you did it, so give yourselves a huge pat on the back. Hugs :hug:

I was a Fire fighter in the uk for 15.5 years and wanted a change. The Police is certainly a change!

i apologise i just read your first arrival report and its all there! sorry . didnt notice you has replied before i edited my reply earlier.

Hi all

Theres been a lot of negative comments on here recently so I thought that I would post an update to cheer some of you up that are thinking of making that big move.

We had been here three years on the 29th December 2013 so I thought it was time for an update. My first post about our new life in Oz is here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/104518-luvpants-have-landed-our-arrival-report.html

We rented in Peregian Springs first whilst I was in the Police Academy. 6 weeks into the academy I found that I was going to be completing my first year in Bribie Island and Caboolture. This was not what we wanted to hear as we wanted for me to stay on the Sunshine Coast. So we moved to Buderim so that I had less travel time. I completed my first year in the Police at those places and when I got confirmed I was told that no one gets the Sunshine Coast first off as a permanent posting and you have to earn it i.e. Work out west for two to three years and then get posted back. I had a chat to the boss indoors and we both agreed that if that had to be the way then that had to be done. You can imagine my surprise when I got a phone call to tell me that my permanent posting was …….Maroochydore! I could not believe my luck.

So we went straight out and bought a house in Mountain Creek. Got a 4 bedder with a lap pool for a song. Its a lovely house and we love living there. Work is great. On New years eve I was patrolling Mooloolaba beach on a quad bike. It don't get better than that!

Lisa has been doing really well at work as well and says that she would not have had the same opportunities in the Uk that she does here. She regularly gets seconded to the Sunshine Coast Uni so that she can facilitate students. She acts up on her ward regularly as well. She says the stress of the job here is way lower than it ever was in the UK.

Since we moved out here, Lisa's daughter has had a baby. We visited in March 2013 for the birth and I wondered how Lisa was going to feel as she always said that she was looking forward to having grandchildren. I asked her how she felt after we had been in the UK a week and she said that she lives in Australia now and every thing else has to fit in with that. She has her first solo trip back to the UK in June 2014 to see the baby again and this will be an annual thing.

We have bought a camper and intend on seeing as much of Australia as we can. Last month we drove from Mountain Creek to Carnovan Gorge, then onto Longreach and Winton, then Yeppoon and then back home. A the end of this month we are camping in South west rocks. Theres a lot to see. Even Ozzies "complain" that we have seen more of Australia than they have.

Over the last three years I have had a few moments of "what have I done" and "why am I here".I think I missed friends and family and the UK as a whole. But I have worked through them and have come out the other side. Luckily our marriage is rock solid and Lisa has been a great listener. At the end of the day we have done a big thing and its got to have an effect on you. I am settled now and could not imagine going back.When I went back to the UK for the birth, after a week I was blinking freezing and was missing Australia. Not having our kids here is hard and especially now that we have a grandson but we made the decision to come here and we were determined to make it work.

We have only just started to connect with new friends. We have a mixture of English and Australian friends. Our friends in the UK call and message us less and less the longer we are here which is to be expected. They have their lives to live as well I suppose.

So what next? At the end of this year we can apply for our citizenship. We have made Australia our home and are embracing it. WE WONT BE GOING BACK! Yes its expensive but we earn more here. Yes it gets hot but we knew that. Yes their driving is atrocious but hey theres only so many tickets I can give out at a time :-). But its also our home now.

Thanks for reading.

Great post, from one Mountain Creeker to another. Not a bad place to live is it!! Have been here almost 11 years and have been made so welcome. We have travelled lots round OZ, but we have lots of time as we retired here, definitely seen more of OZ than lots of our Australian friends. 2 of our children have followed us to Australia, and like you it's our home now.

So you can successively settle here whatever your age.

Sounds like your having a great time....

Dont know anything about where you live but you've inspired me to go and look it up.

Dam another place I need to put on my bucket list of places to visit...

I admit to being jealous of you getting your house for a song....wish that was the case in WA.

Best wishes for the future..

Great to hear from you mate and I can qualify that you are living in a great area. My grand-daughter works at Australia Zoo and has recently moved to Mountain creek to avoid the commute from brizzy...............lovely area

Shush don't tell everyone! We live by one of the lakes and it's supposed to be one of the best kept fishing secrets on the coast. Oh well not so secret now.

Thanks for ghe post. Fascinating stuff as we would be lokking at police on sunshine coast if we came. Would u say you r better off financially, the same or worse...and ro u both work ghe same hours as uk (I mean full time part time etc)

Hi all

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for ghe post. Fascinating stuff as we would be lokking at police on sunshine coast if we came. Would u say you r better off financially, the same or worse...and ro u both work ghe same hours as uk (I mean full time part time etc)

Better off financially. Our house is twice the size of the one we had in the UK and we have a pool as well. Lisa now works 4 days a week (she was full time on the UK). We have two brand new cars and if we want something we buy it. And we still manage to save every month.

Wow....I wasnt expecting u to say that. Very interesting indeeeeeeed.....we might need to revisit this long term dream of moving down under. Thanks a lot :wink:

Better off financially. Our house is twice the size of the one we had in the UK and we have a pool as well. Lisa now works 4 days a week (she was full time on the UK). We have two brand new cars and if we want something we buy it. And we still manage to save every month.

hey...now you have the "Scorecard" system you can really go to town.............or you could become a road nazi and have real fun :wink:

After reading your postings on the "Utopia" thread if you came out and did manage to get into the QPS I can only wish that your first posting as a connie is either Aurukun or Doomagee

Guest Guest 47403
Hi all

Thanks for reading.

Great post mate glad you've managed to ride out the tough periods and come through and appreciate the place you are, it's nice to see a successful migrant come back and tell there story so many just head off and enjoy there new life. Come back occasionally and update if you can, all the best for the next 3 years.

Archived