register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Quoll

Counting down!

18 hours ago, MelT said:

I have compiled lists too.. checked them at for the first time in ages at the weekend and surprised by how much we have done. Just need more time and energy. I am hoping to start applying for jobs soon too. Once the house is on the market and we have de-cluttered i will have more time.

I have found facebook market place really good for selling items. When i find something that is bot being shipped back i just take a quick picture and put the ad straight on mkt place. Amazing how many bits and pieces i have managed to move on over the last few weeks. We will have a final garage sale at some stage closer to the actual move date.

Have you organised the shipping yet? I have a few over the phone quotes, nothing final. Finding the prices a bit scary..

What sort of prices have you been quoted? How much stuff are you taking back? If you don’t mind me asking.

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thanks. Sorry should have said I have a couple of bits of furniture that I’m taking and the cabinet is just too big. I could try and lay it down but don’t want to damage it. They are the only bits of furniture I’m taking as they are the only bits of any value and quality. 

Shipping the extra boxes separately is a good idea though. I might see how much the price difference is as that might motivate me to try and pack the movecube.

I’m still unsure on actual volume of things I’m taking to be honest, but I’ll keep this in mind as a big cube and a small one might be too much. Thanks. :)

It might be worth working out how much the furniture will cost to move first.  

Get a quote for your part-container including the furniture, then get a quote for a Movecube without the furniture.  The difference is what the furniture is costing you to ship, effectively.   Then consider what you might get if you advertised them on Gumtree, or sold them to a dealer.   We did that exercise and realised that even though the furniture seemed "too good to give away", it was going to cost us more than it was worth to ship.  Especially considering that if it's in a shared container, it's a lot more likely to get bumped and chipped - or lost!

Actually if you can find the time, I'd be putting a lot of furniture on Gumtree.  We did and sold a lot of stuff very quickly.  We didn't put high prices on them ($20 for an IKEA bookcase, $300 for our 3 piece suite) but it all mounts up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

What sort of prices have you been quoted? How much stuff are you taking back? If you don’t mind me asking.
I was quoted $4600 for 1/2 a container (15 cubic metres) and $7500 for a whole container (28 cubic metres) + insurance. The quote was with OSS Worldwide Movers.
  • Thanks 1

Have been catching up with all your news.  How exciting for those of you who are happy to return.  Your family will embrace you and it will probably feel like putting on an old slipper after a few days and life will start again.  Good luck to you each and everyone and have a safe journey. 

• Like 3

5 weeks to go.

House sale finally agreed and settlement in just over 4 weeks.

Completing final arrangements for the cat, shipping of a few items and will be booking flights for my mum the day after her eye treatment, so we should have 8 weeks if we are lucky to get that all set up before the next treatment is due.

Finish work tomorrow.

Had an interview via FaceTime and waiting to hear back from them and have another lined up next week.

It’s a bit more frantic than I was hoping it would be but that has simply been down to my buyers avoiding signing an unconditional offer until yesterday.......but there is still enough time so all good!

Happy days! 

• Like 3

Good luck on the move, I'm just catching up on some posts after a very long hiatus from the forum.  Hope all going well for you.  Day by day.  Your cat will be fine, mine 2 came through surpringly well.

• Thanks 1