Counting down!

Quoll

18 hours ago, MelT said:

I have compiled lists too.. checked them at for the first time in ages at the weekend and surprised by how much we have done. Just need more time and energy. I am hoping to start applying for jobs soon too. Once the house is on the market and we have de-cluttered i will have more time.

I have found facebook market place really good for selling items. When i find something that is bot being shipped back i just take a quick picture and put the ad straight on mkt place. Amazing how many bits and pieces i have managed to move on over the last few weeks. We will have a final garage sale at some stage closer to the actual move date.

Have you organised the shipping yet? I have a few over the phone quotes, nothing final. Finding the prices a bit scary..

What sort of prices have you been quoted? How much stuff are you taking back? If you don’t mind me asking.

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thanks. Sorry should have said I have a couple of bits of furniture that I’m taking and the cabinet is just too big. I could try and lay it down but don’t want to damage it. They are the only bits of furniture I’m taking as they are the only bits of any value and quality. 

Shipping the extra boxes separately is a good idea though. I might see how much the price difference is as that might motivate me to try and pack the movecube.

I’m still unsure on actual volume of things I’m taking to be honest, but I’ll keep this in mind as a big cube and a small one might be too much. Thanks. :)

It might be worth working out how much the furniture will cost to move first.  

Get a quote for your part-container including the furniture, then get a quote for a Movecube without the furniture.  The difference is what the furniture is costing you to ship, effectively.   Then consider what you might get if you advertised them on Gumtree, or sold them to a dealer.   We did that exercise and realised that even though the furniture seemed "too good to give away", it was going to cost us more than it was worth to ship.  Especially considering that if it's in a shared container, it's a lot more likely to get bumped and chipped - or lost!

Actually if you can find the time, I'd be putting a lot of furniture on Gumtree.  We did and sold a lot of stuff very quickly.  We didn't put high prices on them ($20 for an IKEA bookcase, $300 for our 3 piece suite) but it all mounts up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What sort of prices have you been quoted? How much stuff are you taking back? If you don’t mind me asking.
I was quoted $4600 for 1/2 a container (15 cubic metres) and $7500 for a whole container (28 cubic metres) + insurance. The quote was with OSS Worldwide Movers.
  • Thanks 1

Have been catching up with all your news.  How exciting for those of you who are happy to return.  Your family will embrace you and it will probably feel like putting on an old slipper after a few days and life will start again.  Good luck to you each and everyone and have a safe journey. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

5 weeks to go.

House sale finally agreed and settlement in just over 4 weeks.

Completing final arrangements for the cat, shipping of a few items and will be booking flights for my mum the day after her eye treatment, so we should have 8 weeks if we are lucky to get that all set up before the next treatment is due.

Finish work tomorrow.

Had an interview via FaceTime and waiting to hear back from them and have another lined up next week.

It’s a bit more frantic than I was hoping it would be but that has simply been down to my buyers avoiding signing an unconditional offer until yesterday.......but there is still enough time so all good!

Happy days! 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

Moving back in 10days! Anyone else heading back soon? Shipping goes this week then its clean clean clean to get unit ready to give back. 

New year, new start huh? Good luck! The weather isn't much to write home about at the moment but get yourself some m&s thermals (not that I've written mine much over the past couple of years) and enjoy the ride! 

3 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

Moving back in 10days! Anyone else heading back soon? Shipping goes this week then its clean clean clean to get unit ready to give back. 

Good luck! It’s a frantic time but don’t fight it, just go with the flow and know that it will pass and things will settle down and you can get on with life. Whereabouts are you moving to?

May I ask where you are moving from in Aus?  I'm doing the opposite coming from France to Tasmania I hope.  I'd like to bring some furniture back, not much,

but have quite a lot of my late husband's paintings too.  So far have only communicated with Grace bros whom we've used before many years ago but I think the big expense could be from Melbourne to Tas.  Hope England is all you hope it to be! Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Why returning just out of interest.  The program "wanted down under" always say more than half those who emigrate from uk to Aus return.

We lived in Aus for more than 50 years and have been in France for 16 years.  Absolutely love it but the time has come and I must return

to my family.  None left in England.  Will not be going to Tas but to a country town in Victoria.  it's all become too difficult for this old lady!

I hope you will be happy back home but just bear in mind there's no utopia but family are important.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, libbye said:

Why returning just out of interest.  The program "wanted down under" always say more than half those who emigrate from uk to Aus return.

We lived in Aus for more than 50 years and have been in France for 16 years.  Absolutely love it but the time has come and I must return

to my family.  None left in England.  Will not be going to Tas but to a country town in Victoria.  it's all become too difficult for this old lady!

I hope you will be happy back home but just bear in mind there's no utopia but family are important.

I thought you had decided to stay in France Libby?  I quite understand you need to be near your family though.

I lived and worked in France, Belgium and Switzerland before I married.  Good experience but I was glad to leave all those countries.  Never felt 'at home' in any of them.  Also worked in the USA for a a while.  Never felt 'at home' there either. I have always felt far more 'at home' here in Australia especially since retiring to Tasmania.  As you say - there is no such thing as Utopia.  Everywhere has its positives and negatives.

I completely understand that not everybody feels that way and wish all the people who yearn to return to the UK or wherever else the very best.  😀

• Like 2

Hi libbye,

We’re returning because we want to, for me, the UK has always been home, and our move to Australia way back in 1990 was for me, “ a phase in life” .

We recently spent six months living in the UK and loved it, and we were both really surprised by the changes , and most for the better too in our opinion.

We will be living in a beautiful part of the UK, Derbyshire, the Peak District National Park. It’s stunning, if you like that sort of thing ,of which we do !

It’s no reflection on Australia at all, what you want in your 20’s is not always what you want when you are in your 50’s and 60’s.

• Like 3

Toots I have changed my mind so many times I've driven my daughters mad and myself at the same time.  Tasmania is out for me which I'm sad about but a friend I thought I had, I haven't and with my health problems although I don't want to become a burden. I will need someone to oversee things when it becomes too much.  In France although i have absolutely wonderful french and english friends I'm not their responsibility and my youngest daughter has said she wants me home.  I think I will find it very hard to adjust but am determined to make the most of everything that comes my way whilst I'm able. At 81 how long will it be anyway!!! lol  I really hope I can visit Tasmania and see what I missed out on.  My daughter loves the island so am sure it won't be difficult to find a driver and companion.

AliQ  - Yes I can understand you loving that part of England.  Nothing to beat it.  You will be happy I'm sure but will miss some things in Aus and after awhile will be content.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, libbye said:

Toots I have changed my mind so many times I've driven my daughters mad and myself at the same time.  Tasmania is out for me which I'm sad about but a friend I thought I had, I haven't and with my health problems although I don't want to become a burden. I will need someone to oversee things when it becomes too much.  In France although i have absolutely wonderful french and english friends I'm not their responsibility and my youngest daughter has said she wants me home.  I think I will find it very hard to adjust but am determined to make the most of everything that comes my way whilst I'm able. At 81 how long will it be anyway!!! lol  I really hope I can visit Tasmania and see what I missed out on.  My daughter loves the island so am sure it won't be difficult to find a driver and companion.

AliQ  - Yes I can understand you loving that part of England.  Nothing to beat it.  You will be happy I'm sure but will miss some things in Aus and after awhile will be content.

I hope we meet one of those days in Tasmania Libby.  😀

49 minutes ago, libbye said:

Toots I have changed my mind so many times I've driven my daughters mad and myself at the same time.  Tasmania is out for me which I'm sad about

To be honest, I'm relieved to hear it. 

We're only in our late 60's but have been looking into retirement villages (including those in Tasmania) and I have to say, I'm yet to find one that isn't a ripoff.  The problem is they nearly all have contracts where you lose a LOT of money if you're not able to stay till you die. If you need to move to a higher dependency home, there are often huge penalties to pay, and they're often hidden in the small print where they're easily overlooked.

If you're able to find an ordinary villa or apartment near your daughters for now, while you're still able to cope, it may not be where you'd prefer to be, but at least you'll be close to your family and your money will stay under your control

Gosh that would be great Toots.  Would love to hear about all your travels over a cuppa.  libby x

Marisa   I think both my daughters are relieved.  The unit I found was actually a good deal. No ripsoff as far as I could see and obliging people running

it but without wanting to keep banging on about my health, the issues I have are fairly serious although a damned nuisance as far as I'm concerned and

I'm not a good patient.  However, will have to get on with it like everyone else who has probs but oh dear I am going to miss my lovely friends.  Leaving the house doesn't bother me after all it's only bricks and mortar but its the garden.  My late husband put so much of his heart and soul into it and at the moment it is glorious. However, it's the right time of year now to enjoy the fruits of his labour.  Must admit I'm dreading it though.  Still new adventures await me. Thank you for your kind words.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi libbye,

We’re returning because we want to, for me, the UK has always been home, and our move to Australia way back in 1990 was for me, “ a phase in life” .

We recently spent six months living in the UK and loved it, and we were both really surprised by the changes , and most for the better too in our opinion.

We will be living in a beautiful part of the UK, Derbyshire, the Peak District National Park. It’s stunning, if you like that sort of thing ,of which we do !

It’s no reflection on Australia at all, what you want in your 20’s is not always what you want when you are in your 50’s and 60’s.

I was born in Chesterfield and looking back on it had a great time growing up there. The peak district is nice but every time we used to go in nice weather in the last few years before we emigrated there were too many people.

When I was young you could take the car, have loads of places to park and find space where you'd feel like the only people there.

We stopped going in nice weather and bank holidays as you just end up in a traffic jam to get there and back and compete for parking and space.

• Like 1

Where I live in France traffic is no problem at all I'm thankful to say.  In fact it's wonderful.  You can travel miles or less and hardly see another car

and I'm not very far from small towns.  Parking is a breeze and their law about the midday 2 hour free park is something I have never experienced

before.  Parking free at all hospitals although no doubt that will change when the french hear how much other countries make! However, all

good things come to an end and I won't be driving in Aus.  Buses, of course, well that's a different kettle of fish. ok here in the cities but local service

almost non existent unless you want to get up at the crack of dawn and go on the school bus. To counteract this for the people who are non drivers

vans come around so no-one goes without.   Quite good actually.  I think the fact England gives out bus passes is great so if i lived there I wouldn't

want to drive a car anyway. Hope they never do away with it but do think there should be a means test  

Anyway good luck and hope you find a lovely place to buy and enjoy being back where your heart lies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

10 months to go!

By the time we leave, we will have lived in Australia for 12 years (3 years in Adelaide, 9 years in Brisbane) and honestly loved every minute, BUT we went back to the UK for a visit for the first time last June and almost immediately felt the pull to go back.  I think if we had visited sooner we would likely not have stayed here as long as we have.  We were a family of four when we moved here in 2008, my husband left us in 2009, so then we were three (myself and my two teenagers from a previous marriage) and we decided to stay.  My children (twins, now aged 25) lived with me until my son decided to return to the UK to study to be a paramedic - he's now fully qualified and working for Yorkshire Ambulance Service.  My daughter still lives with me and was with me when we visited last year.  She was 14 when we left the UK and so has never been an adult there and been able to see it for what it is.  She absolutely loved it, so we have gone back and forth with the decision but finally committed to it and we leave in May 2020.  We are from a small northern town originally but when we return we'll live and work in London, which we're both super excited about.

Its frustrating at the moment as I want to get on and do stuff, but its still too far out to sell the car and pack boxes.  We will take a lot of our furniture with us, but its mostly IKEA stuff that we can flat-pack, so we won't even have half a container.  I do feel like I want to take it with us, and at least it will save us having to fork out for new furniture when we'll probably be paying a premium in rent!

Has anyone had success with phone/Skype job interviews?  Is that a thing still?  I would love to have a job to go but realise that might not be so easy.

Also, where did anyone live the first few weeks before you found a new place?  I'm thinking maybe a few weeks in an Air BNB?  What do you think?  We do have family in the UK but they're in the North and none of them have the space to house my daughter and I.

Happy to hear your thoughts?  Please do share your experiences if you have moved to London, but please no negative comments 🙂

Thanks!

• Like 1