Counting down!

Quoll

9 hours ago, Quoll said:

Only 2 more get ups for LKC!

Just one more now!  Currently sat in an almost empty house thinking about the packing and cleaning I have to do before tomorrow.  We're sending a couple of boxes of air freight of the kids quilts, soft toys, some lego and books which we hope will help them settle in at the other end, which I need to pack today.  Everything else needs to go in the suitcases.  The lady who bought our washer and dryer has very graciously agreed to collect tomorrow morning so I can keep up with the washing rather than take a suitcase of dirty clothes.  We had a goodbye dinner last night with my best friend here and her family (cried buckets).  I'm not sure what our plans are for today, maybe a trip out somewhere.

I think I've felt every possible emotion over the past few days!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LKC said:

Just one more now!  Currently sat in an almost empty house thinking about the packing and cleaning I have to do before tomorrow.  We're sending a couple of boxes of air freight of the kids quilts, soft toys, some lego and books which we hope will help them settle in at the other end, which I need to pack today.  Everything else needs to go in the suitcases.  The lady who bought our washer and dryer has very graciously agreed to collect tomorrow morning so I can keep up with the washing rather than take a suitcase of dirty clothes.  We had a goodbye dinner last night with my best friend here and her family (cried buckets).  I'm not sure what our plans are for today, maybe a trip out somewhere.

Sleep tight! Tomorrow is a new day and Bon Voyage!!!

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, libbye said:

I've probably come into this topic too late but as we're at the opposite end of returning I just wondered why so many want to return

or has  this already been covered?  

There are many reasons, but some of the most common are:

Missing family and friends

Realizing that they have moved from a first world country to another first world country, which can mean achieving not a lot but giving up friends and family.

Unrealistic expectations of what Oz is. Similar to the above

Work / careers

Not liking the culture / missing home culture

Then a lot of others even the weather

19 minutes ago, libbye said:

I've probably come into this topic too late but as we're at the opposite end of returning I just wondered why so many want to return

TBH its personal choice and often homesickness, missing family/friends and not able to settle into life in Aus. Often not finding work can prove a real stumbling block. Some people find they outright dislike the part of Aus they have chosen to move to and opt to return to the UK over trying elsewhere in Aus. Some chose somewhere, like it but can't find work. 

It gets talked about plenty around the forum when someone posts they are planning to return to the UK or whatever other country they are from. 

Thank you for replies.  Very interesting.  We faced the same dilemma 50 odd years when we emigrated from uk to Aus so nothings changed!

We landed in Sydney and my then husband was a mechanical engineer, couldn't find work in the uk but landed a job within two days the pay being twice what it had been previously.  I had one child, hated it from the word go, people not particularly friendly, little or no culture, 6 o'clock closing was in force and it was soooooo hot!  I had never been anywhere else in the world and really hardly knew my own country so it was a real shock.  I was 25 and pregnant.  Knew not a soul and couldn't really understand what the hell people were saying!!! lol  Actually still can't at times.  However, life goes on and you manage although I felt very lonely.  We moved from Sydney to Melbourne and that's where we spent the rest of our time.  My children have settled and Australia is their home and they love it.  They are, of course, grown up now and my eldest is 56.  I didn't miss my family, only my dad, but funnily enough what I did miss was the greenery.  Oh how my soul longed for it.  Now back in europe for 12 years we are once again at the crossroads and my husband in particular is finding it very hard to come to terms with the fact we should return.   Not because we expect our children to fuss around us and if we land in Tas that won't be easy anyway plus it isn't fair to drop back in their lives and accept us as if we've never been away.  Many reasons but time will tell. If you have a close family I would truly think very hard about making the move.  Australia is different but there are opportunities if you are prepared to work hard and play hard too.  Children thrive and love the outdoor life.  They seem to make friends very easily.  For mum and dad it's different.  Be prepared to feel lonely and isolated but join in, something I chose not to do, participate in anything and everything until you find your niche.  Give it time and if after a certain period you're still not content then it obviously hasn't been the utopia you'd dreamed of.  In the meantime relax and enjoy what you have now.  It's a changing world and nothing stands still.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, libbye said:

Thank you for replies.  Very interesting.  We faced the same dilemma 50 odd years when we emigrated from uk to Aus so nothings changed!

We landed in Sydney and my then husband was a mechanical engineer, couldn't find work in the uk but landed a job within two days the pay being twice what it had been previously.  I had one child, hated it from the word go, people not particularly friendly, little or no culture, 6 o'clock closing was in force and it was soooooo hot!  I had never been anywhere else in the world and really hardly knew my own country so it was a real shock.  I was 25 and pregnant.  Knew not a soul and couldn't really understand what the hell people were saying!!! lol  Actually still can't at times.  However, life goes on and you manage although I felt very lonely.  We moved from Sydney to Melbourne and that's where we spent the rest of our time.  My children have settled and Australia is their home and they love it.  They are, of course, grown up now and my eldest is 56.  I didn't miss my family, only my dad, but funnily enough what I did miss was the greenery.  Oh how my soul longed for it.  Now back in europe for 12 years we are once again at the crossroads and my husband in particular is finding it very hard to come to terms with the fact we should return.   Not because we expect our children to fuss around us and if we land in Tas that won't be easy anyway plus it isn't fair to drop back in their lives and accept us as if we've never been away.  Many reasons but time will tell. If you have a close family I would truly think very hard about making the move.  Australia is different but there are opportunities if you are prepared to work hard and play hard too.  Children thrive and love the outdoor life.  They seem to make friends very easily.  For mum and dad it's different.  Be prepared to feel lonely and isolated but join in, something I chose not to do, participate in anything and everything until you find your niche.  Give it time and if after a certain period you're still not content then it obviously hasn't been the utopia you'd dreamed of.  In the meantime relax and enjoy what you have now.  It's a changing world and nothing stands still.  

My husband's parents migrated to Australia in 1950 and my husband was born in Brisbane and his sister in Sydney.  When his father died in his early 40's my mother in law couldn't wait to return to the UK - she had never settled here so she returned with my husband and his little sister in the 60's.  She never gave Australia another thought.  My husband knew he would  return one day as he really missed it.  When we married we lived in London and Liverpool then decided to come to Australia in 1981.  His sister has never been interested in living back in the country of her birth though she has enjoyed holidays here with us.  It works out for some people but for others it will never be 'home'.  

10 hours ago, libbye said:

Covered elsewhere quite often. Bottom line, after 32 years I still didn’t “belong” and I did everything that they tell you to do - work, join groups, volunteer, get more education etc etc. There was nothing magical about it for our family. The kids did much the same as my friends’ kids have done in UK. My family will be forever split as one son cannot leave Australia (but he dislikes the summer heat and bugs and would leave if he didn’t have family responsibilities) the other son came to UK for a holiday over 15 years ago and never returned. He’s got a great career, lots of travel, home of his own, wife and child. My grandkids will never live in the same country. 

We came on holiday 6 years ago and my previously highly resisting Aussie husband said “we can’t possibly leave your parents” so we never went back. Mum died earlier this year but dad is still hanging on at 93. I’ve been back for a couple of holidays and now I no longer vomit at the prospect but I have promised to return when dad dies but I feel life is very two dimensional when I am there but here it is full to the brim (just back from day out at a Christmas Market but it was a toss up whether I did a craft show instead). My soul is alive here, there I just mark time. I miss real green, the countryside changing, the variety of just about everything, pleasant seasons etc. It’ll be interesting to see how long I last when I get back I guess but sanity hits will be built in.

My kids know that I will not be trekking around after them and they are free to go wherever they want. Skype grandparenting sucks but if you aren’t enmeshed it’s ok. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am on my way home to my lovely house, in a lovely village, with green fields ( courtesy of the UK weather system!), friends and family near by. Fly home on the 2/4/18 start work on the 3/4/18 back to the NHS in all it’s glory. Sad to be leaving Australia this time round but oh so happy to be returning home. I am well aware it’s going to be hard to readjust but then again I think within a few weeks it will be like we have never been away. 

Wish me luck ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RMG said:

I am on my way home to my lovely house, in a lovely village, with green fields ( courtesy of the UK weather system!), friends and family near by. Fly home on the 2/4/18 start work on the 3/4/18 back to the NHS in all it’s glory. Sad to be leaving Australia this time round but oh so happy to be returning home. I am well aware it’s going to be hard to readjust but then again I think within a few weeks it will be like we have never been away. 

Wish me luck ?

Good luck! Have a good flight and you’ll be back for beautiful spring!

You’ll be starting work as we fly out for a month’s holiday! Not sure what I am looking forward to most, no responsibility, time alone with my DH in my own home or Australia (I suspect that order actually!). It’s been just over 2 years since we were there together so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the place now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMG said:

Wish me luck ?

Good luck @RMG. I would be interested in hearing how you go with the NHS. I will be a bit behind you. Maybe June time. My house goes on the market next week. ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Good luck! Have a good flight and you’ll be back for beautiful spring!

You’ll be starting work as we fly out for a month’s holiday! Not sure what I am looking forward to most, no responsibility, time alone with my DH in my own home or Australia (I suspect that order actually!). It’s been just over 2 years since we were there together so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the place now.

Enjoy your holiday @Quoll. I have followed your posts for a few years now and they have helped me structure my own thoughts. My favourite piece of advice I have seen you give is “ banging your head on different parts of the wall just gives you a headache “. Put it all in perspective for me. 

Have a lovely trip.

• Like 2

On 03/09/2017 at 08:53, LKC said:

Can I ask what courier you used for this or any advice as the cost of air freight seems to be crazy. I just want to send a couple of folders and some computer equipment? 

12 minutes ago, BackToTheBlighty said:

Can I ask what courier you used for this or any advice as the cost of air freight seems to be crazy. I just want to send a couple of folders and some computer equipment? 

We used Seven Seas Wroldwide.  I've just checked the invoice for you, and it cost $820 for four large boxes (they were tea chest sized).  If you go on their website you can put in what you want to send and it will give you an immediate quote.  It was fairly expensive, but it probably saved us a bit because it meant we didn't have to buy toys/games/books/bedding etc when we first arrived.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Good luck [mention=219513]RMG[/mention]. I would be interested in hearing how you go with the NHS. I will be a bit behind you. Maybe June time. My house goes on the market next week. [emoji3]
Hope all goes well with the move. Great to hear your plans have all fallen into place.

We are not far behind either.. fly back late August/Early September for school starting on the 6th Sept... Just finishing tidying up the house to.put on the market as soon as possible...my feelings of excitement are slowing moving towards feelings of panic.... feel like we are running out of time with only 120 days to go..or so...not that i am counting or anything.. lol..
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MelT said:

Hope all goes well with the move. Great to hear your plans have all fallen into place.

We are not far behind either.. fly back late August/Early September for school starting on the 6th Sept... Just finishing tidying up the house to.put on the market as soon as possible...my feelings of excitement are slowing moving towards feelings of panic.... feel like we are running out of time with only 120 days to go..or so...not that i am counting or anything.. lol..

Ah yes the panic..... xD

I had an offer on my house within 10 days but things have stalled a bit with their finances so hoping it gets sorted this week, otherwise I’ll have to have more opens and start again. I still have time to sell and leave at the end of June as planned.

Luckily I don’t have to worry about school starting dates. 

I have started to apply for jobs, not sure how that will go being offshore but worth a punt.

I have made myself a spreadsheet with things to do which has helped, it feels like I add more than I cross off at the moment though.....

All the best, it is an exciting time despite the stress/hysteria/panic. One step at a time! 

Ah yes the panic..... [emoji23]

I had an offer on my house within 10 days but things have stalled a bit with their finances so hoping it gets sorted this week, otherwise I’ll have to have more opens and start again. I still have time to sell and leave at the end of June as planned.

Luckily I don’t have to worry about school starting dates. 

I have started to apply for jobs, not sure how that will go being offshore but worth a punt.

I have made myself a spreadsheet with things to do which has helped, it feels like I add more than I cross off at the moment though.....

All the best, it is an exciting time despite the stress/hysteria/panic. One step at a time! 

I have compiled lists too.. checked them at for the first time in ages at the weekend and surprised by how much we have done. Just need more time and energy. I am hoping to start applying for jobs soon too. Once the house is on the market and we have de-cluttered i will have more time.

I have found facebook market place really good for selling items. When i find something that is bot being shipped back i just take a quick picture and put the ad straight on mkt place. Amazing how many bits and pieces i have managed to move on over the last few weeks. We will have a final garage sale at some stage closer to the actual move date.

Have you organised the shipping yet? I have a few over the phone quotes, nothing final. Finding the prices a bit scary..

59 minutes ago, MelT said:

I have compiled lists too.. checked them at for the first time in ages at the weekend and surprised by how much we have done. Just need more time and energy. I am hoping to start applying for jobs too soon too. Once the house is on the market and we have de-cluttered i will have more time.

I have found facebook market place really good for selling items. When i find something that is bot being shipped back i just take a quick picture and put the ad straight on mkt place. Amazing how many bits and pieces i have managed to move on over the last few weeks. We will have a final garage sale at some stage closer to the actual move date.

Have you organised the shipping yet? I have a few over the phone quotes, nothing final. Finding the prices a bit scary..

No shipping arrangements yet. I’m not moving much back. Just a bit too big for a movecube, so will be going as a shared container I suppose. Got to arrange the cat as well. I’m holding off until I have a definite date on the house sale as I can’t afford to move unless it’s sold.

My son will have some of my furniture and some I’ll donate to Brotherhood of St Laurence, none of it owes me anything and just a couple of bits to move back. 

Handy you’ve managed to flog some things, it all helps.

I’m finding the clearing out quite therapeutic. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, MelT said:

We were pretty much where you are at the same time last year, we flew back on the 5th September.  Honestly, don't worry, it will all be fine.  Easier said than done, I know!  Last year was full of packing, sorting, decluttering, decorating and renovating, organising jobs, a rental etc, but we got there in the end, it was all pretty much plain sailing really, now I look back on it.  Our house only sold on the 19th August at auction (after 18 days on the market), and OH had a changeable flight ticket, just in case it passed in at auction and he had to stay and do more open homes.  Thankfully it sold!  It was intensely stressful at the time though!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

No shipping arrangements yet. I’m not moving much back. Just a bit too big for a movecube, so will be going as a shared container I suppose. Got to arrange the cat as well. I’m holding off until I have a definite date on the house sale as I can’t afford to move unless it’s sold.

We had a bit more than would fit in our Movecube so shipped the extra few boxes separately with Seven Seas. They arrived at Aus customs same time as the cube but cleared customs quicker and were delivered to our door a few days before the cube. Worked out reasonable price wise.

8 hours ago, snifter said:

We had a bit more than would fit in our Movecube so shipped the extra few boxes separately with Seven Seas. They arrived at Aus customs same time as the cube but cleared customs quicker and were delivered to our door a few days before the cube. Worked out reasonable price wise.

Thanks. Sorry should have said I have a couple of bits of furniture that I’m taking and the cabinet is just too big. I could try and lay it down but don’t want to damage it. They are the only bits of furniture I’m taking as they are the only bits of any value and quality. 

Shipping the extra boxes separately is a good idea though. I might see how much the price difference is as that might motivate me to try and pack the movecube.

I’m still unsure on actual volume of things I’m taking to be honest, but I’ll keep this in mind as a big cube and a small one might be too much. Thanks. :)