It Soon Mounts Up!

Candygirl

We have been doing a "roll call" of our expenditure so far and I thought it might help those of you who are just starting out what you may need to pay out for. Please note, we did have two visa fees, which is not the norm.

IELTS (1st attempt) 180.00

IELTS (2nd attempt) 180.00

AQF III via RPL 2060.00

PCC's spain 15.16

PCC UK 84.00

TRA fee 200.00

TRA parcel fee 72.00

Certifying of lever arch file 50.00

TRA Banker's Draft 20.00

Translations of Tax Returns 480.00

Visa Appl Fee (489) 2060

Medicals (2 adults) 500.00

Visa Appl Fee (189) 2060.00

Total = 7,961.16

Costs to get 2 adults and 2 dogs to Perth:

Flights (2 adults) 1300.00

Paperwork & Flights (2 dogs) 3900.00

Quarantine (2 dogs) 1518.00

Car Hire (30 days) 713.00

Short Term Accom (30 days) 2000.00

Shipping 20ft container (self pack) 2800.00

Insurance 350

Total = 13,881.00

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scrumpy

Makes popping into the UK a bargain, our European cousins have no idea how truly lucky they are, yea yea I know we can pop into most of Europe, but come on, its not the same ;)

Candygirl do you think you will be up and running in Oz with a total spend of £30K , it must be heading that way, anyway I hope it all works out for you

What currency are you quoting? Im guessing its ££££

Geez!

Why not just take your GBP30,000 or what-ever and put a big fat down payment on a place in Portugal? Same if not better weather, orders of magnitude low costs for everything and you can still have your 'Sun'. Nip over on sleazy jet when-ever and spend your (far greater than Oz) vacation days there. When not there it gets rented out thereby pretty much paying for itself. Come on people, it ain't rocket science :-)

Boggles the mind. Again, the WA govt in particular are one of the best propaganda machines I think I've ever come across!!

Ah well, each to they're own hey....

Guest scrumpy

No lions tours or kangaroos, and probably to many family visitors!!

Geez!

Why not just take your GBP30,000 or what-ever and put a big fat down payment on a place in Portugal? Same if not better weather, orders of magnitude low costs for everything and you can still have your 'Sun'. Nip over on sleazy jet when-ever and spend your (far greater than Oz) vacation days there. When not there it gets rented out thereby pretty much paying for itself. Come on people, it ain't rocket science :-)

Boggles the mind. Again, the WA govt in particular are one of the best propaganda machines I think I've ever come across!!

Emigration is financially crippling. There are huge up front costs; large amounts of selling stuff in a fire sale followed by buying the same stuff again in Australia for top dollar. The concept of pensions makes my head spin, but it isn't going to be financially advantageous to stop contributing in the UK and start again, late in the day, in Australia. The days of moving to Australia for a financial upgrade are, for the most part, long gone. You really need to have some other reason for wanting to make the move.

But there are other ways to do it. Not everyone spends or needs to spend that much. We came over on a 457 visa, our costs:

Visa: paid for by company

Flights: paid for by company

Transport to/from airport: paid for by company

Shipping of household goods: paid for by company

30 days accommodation: paid for by company

Total cost to us: nil. Aw I tell a fib, probably involved a couple of stamps sending of various paperwork.

But we don't envisage staying here long term. If we had to pay for it all ourselves we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe you just have to want it badly enough to spend that much money to get here and really want to stay here. Who knows. But our visa suits us, and it gets our respective companies two people that they were looking for for over a year (18 months in my case).

Guest The Pom Queen
But there are other ways to do it. Not everyone spends or needs to spend that much. We came over on a 457 visa, our costs:

Total cost to us: nil. Aw I tell a fib, probably involved a couple of stamps sending of various paperwork.

But we don't envisage staying here long term. If we had to pay for it all ourselves we probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe you just have to want it badly enough to spend that much money to get here and really want to stay here. Who knows. But our visa suits us, and it gets our respective companies two people that they were looking for for over a year (18 months in my case).

Wow would love to know what company that is with

Aye, but the advantage in paying your own expenses is you get to choose where you want to live - and it probably wouldn't be Kalgoorlie.

We have been doing a "roll call" of our expenditure so far and I thought it might help those of you who are just starting out what you may need to pay out for. Please note, we did have two visa fees, which is not the norm.

AQF III via RPL 2060.00

PCC's spain 15.16

PCC UK 84.00

TRA fee 200.00

TRA parcel fee 72.00

TRA Banker's Draft 20.00

Visa Appl Fee (489) 2060

Total = 7,961.16

Insurance 350

Total = 13,881.00

Poor you, I thought moving to the UK and back was expense! unfortunately it doesn't stop when you arrive, Oz is more expensive than the UK in many ways especially with the costs going up more soon. Good luck to you and hope you settle in well :)

Aye, but the advantage in paying your own expenses is you get to choose where you want to live - and it probably wouldn't be Kalgoorlie.

After 3 years of one of us doing FIFO we came to Kalgoorlie so we could live together. Worth far more to me than a big city or a beach on your doorstep.

Well you can't take it with you can you. It costs what it costs and its up to the individual to decide if its what they want to spend THEIR money on. Could be the best ever spent could be an utter waste, who's to say apart from the one spending it. For us it was difficult yes but not crippling but then we had nothing to begin with! Nothing lost nothing gained!!

My goodness. To think some people spend all that money, and then spend half of it again six months later when going back.

Emigration is much harder than people would expect. Three and a half years in and it is only beginning to feel like home - and even then, something will come along and completely knock me out of my stride.

I was the same. But, the chances of either of us getting that today are pretty much nil. Though Silver Lake will today be offering flights for a couple of 457 geo's. But going in the opposite direction after they were amongst another round of cost cuts

Guest Ptp113

Correct. And you also don't get such a jaundiced view of Australia into the bargain!

Geez!

I could understand it if you had said go and live in Portugal. That's if you can get jobs, learn to speak the language, fit in etc. Just going for a holiday doesn't do it. We loved Portugal and could have moved and settled there if we thought we would be able to learn Portuguese and get jobs.

Coming to Perth we didn't have nay language worries and we got jobs. No brainer really.

I was the same. But, the chances of either of us getting that today are pretty much nil. Though Silver Lake will today be offering flights for a couple of 457 geo's. But going in the opposite direction after they were amongst another round of cost cuts

I am sure there are still professions that do need people from overseas though, so this route is still available to those people if it suits them.

Well you can't take it with you can you. It costs what it costs and its up to the individual to decide if its what they want to spend THEIR money on. Could be the best ever spent could be an utter waste, who's to say apart from the one spending it. For us it was difficult yes but not crippling but then we had nothing to begin with! Nothing lost nothing gained!!

You've no idea how much you've just brightened my day, have been feeling really down since we got messed around with nomination by employer and MA and its now going to cost an extra $4500 which we have to work really hard at saving, its no picnic here and its been really hard emotionally and financially but here is were where staying so it costs what it costs! big thank you Happyheart :)

It is not cheap, but then again, so are many other things. I am sure this is a useful list for those embarking on the process. Its money well spent.

Can I start a list of expenditure once you get here?

1. 4L of Gin from duty-free $98

2. Suncream and hat $40:wink:

AQF III via RPL 2060.00

PCC's spain 15.16

PCC UK 84.00

TRA fee 200.00

TRA parcel fee 72.00

TRA Banker's Draft 20.00

Visa Appl Fee (489) 2060

Total = 7,961.16

Insurance 350

Total = 13,881.00

I am sure there are still professions that do need people from overseas though, so this route is still available to those people if it suits them.

Yes, still plenty coming on 457. Though with the new vis rules, i suspect we will see a BIG drop. Geo's and engineers in the boom had it exceptionaly good. Probably a bit too good to be honest. There was a scramble to get guys on the ground without really a lot of thought about the costs of it. In the mid boom, i had just finished a contract in China and was back in the UK and Gold Corp were desperate for a geo for a role in Canada. They were offering silly money, 2 on 2 off roster and FIFO from the UK at business class. I very nearly took it.

Now, of course completely differnt. A friend just had an interview for a Rio job that is residential over east. He is Perth based. No help will be offered for the move if he takes it. Not even the cost of the flight for his wife and kid. They agree to pay for him, but that is it. That is for a Senior Geo role / Deputy Superintendant.

Archived