It Soon Mounts Up!

Candygirl

Yep. Have to say i am often amazed at how little people travel here. My last boss lives in Townesville. It was only last year he left QLD for the first time to go to WA and he took his wife for the furtherst journey she has ever done - Brisbane.

Meet loads of people in WA that have never been further than Margaret River.

To be honest, i can partly see why. I remember the first week in the outback - camera clicked away like mad. Then, it was very much a case of "oh, red dirt. Oh, look more red dirt. Oh some roos. Even more roos". Gets a bit repetative after a while. Then there are the cities - are they really a holiday destination? What have most got that you really want to travel for on holiday? Sydney maybe to see the harbour - which is stunning. But that really it.

Also the cost of internal travel being so prohibitive. Far cheaper to jump on a plane and go to Bali for a week. Agree there is something of a repetitive nature to a lot of things.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also the cost of internal travel being so prohibitive. Far cheaper to jump on a plane and go to Bali for a week. Agree there is something of a repetitive nature to a lot of things.

There was a repetetive nature to us going to Spain for years from the UK when we were young but, boy, did I used to love it.

Guest Ptp113
Yep. Have to say i am often amazed at how little people travel here. My last boss lives in Townesville. It was only last year he left QLD for the first time to go to WA and he took his wife for the furtherst journey she has ever done - Brisbane.

Meet loads of people in WA that have never been further than Margaret River.

To be honest, i can partly see why. I remember the first week in the outback - camera clicked away like mad. Then, it was very much a case of "oh, red dirt. Oh, look more red dirt. Oh some roos. Even more roos". Gets a bit repetative after a while. Then there are the cities - are they really a holiday destination? What have most got that you really want to travel for on holiday? Sydney maybe to see the harbour - which is stunning. But that really it.

I noticed when I joined the military in 1970 that WA was very insular and isolated. The Nullarbor was dirt then, so some justification but it was still very noticeable in the 80's and 90's. The rest of Australia seems to be more 'mobile' than WA.

Maybe some people don't feel the need to travel. It's not essential. It's ok to be happy where you are.

Agreed but if you are contemplating migrating and are a traveller then it is something to think about. The year we moved to Aus we had been to France for a winter sports holiday, then Tokyo, Singapore, New Zealand and LA as well as Perth and Sydney on our reccie plus a week in Northumberland. It was an above average year I have to say but we usually managed at least two trips overseas plus a couple of UK breaks.

Since moving to Perth our holidays have all been road trips in WA - Margaret River, Kalbarri, Bussleton, Albany and this year we really pushed the boat out with Mandurah! Some good times don't get me wrong but for me I am not happy doing that for the rest of my life.

I am sad we have seen nothing much of Australia (I have been lucky to have business trips to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns (loved it!)) I actually think we will see more of Australia based in the UK than we would living here. At least before retirement anyway.

Guest Ptp113
I agree - its frightening but I am sure its worth it in the end.

It is if you arrive with open eyes and the right attitude

I agree - its frightening but I am sure its worth it in the end.

Not for us it wasn't we're going home :) I'm sure for many it is though.

Guest scrumpy

Whereabouts did you try and what went wrong? If you dont mind me asking, cheers

Not for us it wasn't we're going home :) I'm sure for many it is though.

It is if you arrive with open eyes and the right attitude

That can be said for any move overseas. For instance, the amount of times that ex pats move here to Spain and complain that people don't speak their language. Urr, it's Spain, they speak Spanish.

One of the reasons Brits travel so much IS because of the weather a bit of guaranteed sun is a great boost. More people would holiday in the UK if sunshine was more reliable.

I know at least two families who never left the Uk after all there is plenty to see and do. But after a few washed out holidays went to Teneriffe (in one case or wherever) had brill weather and never holidayed in the UK again.

our friends in OZ holiday by renting a biggish place by the beach with mates. You don't need to travel for the weather. Different if you want the culture though. We are spoilt in Europe But then I have been to more galleries museums and sights in London than relatives who live there!

I noticed when I joined the military in 1970 that WA was very insular and isolated. The Nullarbor was dirt then, so some justification but it was still very noticeable in the 80's and 90's. The rest of Australia seems to be more 'mobile' than WA.

I think the east coast people travel between cities more as it is a easier and cheaper. For Perth, its a pretty long way to anywhere. It is also very expensive to travel in Oz. I was interested in doing a small boat cruise around the Kimberly. Then i looked at the price - about $6k for a week. Same with hotels and things. Our last holiday was in Dwellingup, just round the corner from where we live. Had a chalet, but it was still $300 a night.

There are lots of accomodation options for under $150 a night, even in peak season in WA. I won't stay in shabby places and am choosy but never pay more than that, its just a question of booking early or having limited choice if you book late

There are lots of accomodation options for under $150 a night, even in peak season in WA. I won't stay in shabby places and am choosy but never pay more than that, its just a question of booking early or having limited choice if you book late

Problem might be for us, that yes, we often have to book late due to my work and maybe i am a bit fussy. I live in a tent for weeks at a time when i am at work, so tend to want to be pretty comfortable when home

Thats what I am saying, we always book late as not organised and late notice of leave etc but always get a decent place for $150 or less just may only have 5 or 10 to choose from not 50! I refuse to pay silly money. Stayed in some top spots throughout the South West, most notably an extremely peaceful cottage in the Boranup Forest, luxurious and quaint all in one...that was less than $150 I think, stayed in a huge house with pool, all mod cons about the same price in Kalbarri. We do also make use of the nurses union accomodation in Margaret River and pay less than $100 a night all year round but thats just for nurses.

I think the east coast people travel between cities more as it is a easier and cheaper. For Perth, its a pretty long way to anywhere. It is also very expensive to travel in Oz. I was interested in doing a small boat cruise around the Kimberly. Then i looked at the price - about $6k for a week. Same with hotels and things. Our last holiday was in Dwellingup, just round the corner from where we live. Had a chalet, but it was still $300 a night.

Last week Jetstar had a sale, I booked the following.

Melbourne - Hobart, Friday night flight, sunday night back $70 return

Melbourne - Launceston, Friday night flight out, Monday night back (Australia Day) $70 return

Melbourne - Brisbane, Friday night flight out, Sunday night back $130 return

Melbourne - Adelaide, Sat morning out, Sun night back $120 return

I dont see that as being expensive at all... only wish had more than 4 weeks annual leave, but some nice weekend breaks to be had at Ryainair type prices

I would have to say Australia is much more of a minuscule island in terms of everything but land mass. Not many travel even interstate and views are somewhat backward, people dont get to know this until they get here and then realise home was a pretty good life. The poms who do the best here are the ones who didnt have much to leave behind and try to re invent themselves. many do and love it, good for them.

So what is it everyone is missing? I'd like to know. I think there's a lot of hype about the place but to be honest its no different for most to living in the UK but you have less money but you get better weather

When you consider that Queensland is 7.5 times the size of the UK, Western Australia is about 20 times as big etc. etc. Why would the people need to move far? I used to know lotsa peeps who never saw Wales, nor Scotland, for that matter. They were just content to live in Yorkshire.

Mentioned a bloke I knew in Bradford; he lived in one house for 24 years, got married and moved to the house next door. Forty odd years later he died, Never moved away to another town, ever.

Cheers, Bobj.

Melbourne - Launceston, Friday night flight out, Monday night back (Australia Day) $70 return

I dont see that as being expensive at all... only wish had more than 4 weeks annual leave, but some nice weekend breaks to be had at Ryainair type prices

Well that's great. For you. Try getting anything like those prices flying from or to Perth.

I always check out the specials as mailed to me. WA has very few options in that area and when does not easy to get the date required.

There was a repetetive nature to us going to Spain for years from the UK when we were young but, boy, did I used to love it.

When you are not aware of alternatives why wouldn't you be? The generation before you would have been just as happy with their week in Bognor Regis.

Here in WA it would have been a week in Albany...After Bali for many Albany just wouldn't be the same.

Ask a local where they want to go and they say Europe but ask a local where they have holidays before and most cant say more than Bali and ask an Ozzie from anywhere else if they have been the WA and 99% will say why would I want to go there its sh*t.

There are a fair few who travel but most seem to be the immigrants or 2nd generation immigrants.

Here certainly is not better money as or a better life, its just a little different due to the weather and remoteness.

It does favour the uneducated here and some of the above posts do prove that :biggrin:

The last commercial domestic flight i have done in Oz was Perth to Kal. Booked at the last minute - on the day. Cost was $800 one way. This was in 2009 and we had only arrived in 2008 and paid about the same for the one way ticket from London to Oz.

Agreed but if you are contemplating migrating and are a traveller then it is something to think about. The year we moved to Aus we had been to France for a winter sports holiday, then Tokyo, Singapore, New Zealand and LA as well as Perth and Sydney on our reccie plus a week in Northumberland. It was an above average year I have to say but we usually managed at least two trips overseas plus a couple of UK breaks.

Since moving to Perth our holidays have all been road trips in WA - Margaret River, Kalbarri, Bussleton, Albany and this year we really pushed the boat out with Mandurah! Some good times don't get me wrong but for me I am not happy doing that for the rest of my life.

I am sad we have seen nothing much of Australia (I have been lucky to have business trips to Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns (loved it!)) I actually think we will see more of Australia based in the UK than we would living here. At least before retirement anyway.

I guess we would have been classed as travellers before we emigrated. We were always off somewhere on holidays, especially as we didn't start living together till we were in our 30's, so a fair bit of spare cash. Used to go abroad to Greece, Portugal, France, Spain to get our fix of sun and beaches a couple of times a year minimum. When we got married and had a mortgage and our first child, then had to spend lots doing the house up it was the first year we couldn't afford to go away. We both got to thinking is this as good as it gets from now on. We were both working, in good jobs, living in your typical end terrace you couldn't swing a cat in. The next move we would have had to make was going to make us more broke and in debt to the bank.

I think it was because we were "travellers" and new there was something different that made us come here. We figured that Perth has all the things that we used to get away for and we may as well live somewhere the things we like are on our doorstep. Hence we no longer feel the need to travel. Still nice to have the odd holiday and we've been to Melbourne, Sydney, Queensland a few times.

The thing is it's always nice to get home now and know that where we have just visited was a nice break, but not as nice as where we live.

Thats what I am saying, we always book late as not organised and late notice of leave etc but always get a decent place for $150 or less just may only have 5 or 10 to choose from not 50! I refuse to pay silly money. Stayed in some top spots throughout the South West, most notably an extremely peaceful cottage in the Boranup Forest, luxurious and quaint all in one...that was less than $150 I think, stayed in a huge house with pool, all mod cons about the same price in Kalbarri. We do also make use of the nurses union accomodation in Margaret River and pay less than $100 a night all year round but thats just for nurses.

We stayed in the nurses accommodation in Margaret River for a week after the Anaconda Adventure race in Augusta a couple of years ago. What a deal that is. Just what I needed too after taking about 7 hrs to finish the race, I was knackered. My wife drove to a couple of breweries and wineries the first day we were in Margaret River and after a few pints of Raging Bull from the Bootleg Brewery I felt like a new man. Could have done the whole race again, at least I thought that until I woke up with a headache a couple of hours later.

Great spots the accommodations in too, as well as a great price.:cool:

When you are not aware of alternatives why wouldn't you be? The generation before you would have been just as happy with their week in Bognor Regis.

Here in WA it would have been a week in Albany...After Bali for many Albany just wouldn't be the same.

Been to Albany but not to Bali yet. Liked Albany but it's a long way to go for worse weather than Perth and much the same to do. We went because of a surf lifesaving Carnival there so had a great time. Preferred Esperance and Denmark tbh. If you want better weather in Winter head North for a few hours drive.

I've heard good reports about Bali from some and others who don't like it. My wife has a bit of a downer about it after the bombings, she was scared to give it a go. Maybe this year, it's pretty cheap to get there.

I was plenty aware of alternatives when we used to go to Spain but I knew how much I enjoyed where we went to. I think it was more who I went with tbh. A bunch of like minded mates, there for a good time, plenty of girls there with the same idea, good weather and cheap booze. Add to that pubs and clubs that didn't close, paradise at the time. I'm sure we would have had a good time if we had gone to Bognor, in fact we went to Scarborough and Bournemouth with the same guys and had great times there too. Not as good or cheap as Spain, but good.

Archived