It Soon Mounts Up!

Candygirl

Ask a local where they want to go and they say Europe but ask a local where they have holidays before and most cant say more than Bali and ask an Ozzie from anywhere else if they have been the WA and 99% will say why would I want to go there its sh*t.

There are a fair few who travel but most seem to be the immigrants or 2nd generation immigrants.

Here certainly is not better money as or a better life, its just a little different due to the weather and remoteness.

It does favour the uneducated here and some of the above posts do prove that :biggrin:

I bow to your superior knowledge then educated one. :rolleyes:

In my experience though the Aussies I've met from over East, where our head offices are have nothing but good things to say about Perth, if they've been lucky enough to come on work trips. The ones that haven't been are always saying what good things they've heard about it and are trying to swing a work trip. I think Aussies are a lot more educated than you give them credit for and wouldn't presume to write a place off as sh*t until they've been and tried it.

Us uneducated ones will stay here and wallow in our living the dream mentality.:cool:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last commercial domestic flight i have done in Oz was Perth to Kal. Booked at the last minute - on the day. Cost was $800 one way. This was in 2009 and we had only arrived in 2008 and paid about the same for the one way ticket from London to Oz.

I'm guessing that would have been a work flight VS. Kal's not really a holiday destination is it. If it was a holiday it's only a 6 Hr drive, much cheaper than a flight.

Ask a local where they want to go and they say Europe but ask a local where they have holidays before and most cant say more than Bali and ask an Ozzie from anywhere else if they have been the WA and 99% will say why would I want to go there its sh*t.

There are a fair few who travel but most seem to be the immigrants or 2nd generation immigrants.

Here certainly is not better money as or a better life, its just a little different due to the weather and remoteness.

It does favour the uneducated here and some of the above posts do prove that :biggrin:

What a load of ********. Perth is a favourite holiday destination for a huge lot of Australians from the east coast. Just about everyone I know has been there on holidays at some point. The beaches , diving, camping, surfing is some of the best Australia has to offer.

As for Australians not travelling, hahaha. We are travelling more than ever because of the good $. Try going to Canada, London, New York, Thailand, you won't miss the Aussies. They are the ones enjoying themselves and stealing the the jobs from the locals.

Just thought I'd point out some facts oh great educated one.

I'm guessing that would have been a work flight VS. Kal's not really a holiday destination is it. If it was a holiday it's only a 6 Hr drive, much cheaper than a flight.

Yes. Work. But, of all the places you can visit in WA. It is probably one of the most interesting. Margaret River is nice. But once you have been, you have pretty much done it in a weekend. Same for the rest of the south west. North - there isnt really much there. Some nice beaches, but there isnt much else there. That is one of the big problems with WA. If you want to get out and about, seeing interesting places and experiencing different things, there isnt really much to it. People talk about things like wave rock and the pinnacles. Even as a geo, i couldnt be bothered to drive that far to see a rock

It's become increasingly apparent from this thread and others that so many poms completely miss what Australia's about, and what's available to see and do. That's what you get coming from a miniscule, insular island I guess

Ah I think the majority on this thread needs jobs and housing first don't you?Its no holiday Sprintman!

Yes. Work. But, of all the places you can visit in WA. It is probably one of the most interesting. Margaret River is nice. But once you have been, you have pretty much done it in a weekend. Same for the rest of the south west. North - there isnt really much there. Some nice beaches, but there isnt much else there. That is one of the big problems with WA. If you want to get out and about, seeing interesting places and experiencing different things, there isnt really much to it. People talk about things like wave rock and the pinnacles. Even as a geo, i couldnt be bothered to drive that far to see a rock

I've been to Kal with work and couldn't wait to get out of the place every time. Only thing I found slightly interesting was the pubs and skimpies.

I've heard they've toned those down over the last few years though so I would have even less of a reason to go now. My wife said to me when we'd not been here long that it might be interesting for us to go for a drive to out as she hadn't seen much. I had told her about the drive out to Kal and up North to other minesites. I said she wouldn't like it before we went but she insisted and we got as far as New Norcia. She was bored with the drive already and when we got there she asked is this it? We enjoyed going through some of the old churches and reading the history in them but the highlight of the day was playing a bit of tennis with my son at the local pub tennis court. Luckily we had left some tennis rackets in the car.

I could easily spend a few weeks in Margaret River and still not be able to see all the wineries, breweries, countryside, mountain bike tracks, surfing spots, it's paradise. I could live down there but I might find it a bit quite and prefer being near Perth. It would be too quite for me where you live mate. If you aren't bothered about going to the beach, don't particularly like hot weather, not interested in sport or swimming, then I can understand why you might find WA a bit boring.

Guest Ptp113
Ah I think the majority on this thread needs jobs and housing first don't you?Its no holiday Sprintman!

It's been a holiday every day for over 40 years. I like it like that.....

All very interesting, but why has this thread now turned into a Perth VS anywhere thread. I took the time to put our expenditure so far in the hope that it might help a new starter realise the costs involved with getting a visa and the removals costs.

Come On, if you don't like Perth, fine. If people love it there, let them enjoy it!

I've been to Kal with work and couldn't wait to get out of the place every time. Only thing I found slightly interesting was the pubs and skimpies.

I've heard they've toned those down over the last few years though so I would have even less of a reason to go now. My wife said to me when we'd not been here long that it might be interesting for us to go for a drive to out as she hadn't seen much. I had told her about the drive out to Kal and up North to other minesites. I said she wouldn't like it before we went but she insisted and we got as far as New Norcia. She was bored with the drive already and when we got there she asked is this it? We enjoyed going through some of the old churches and reading the history in them but the highlight of the day was playing a bit of tennis with my son at the local pub tennis court. Luckily we had left some tennis rackets in the car.

I could easily spend a few weeks in Margaret River and still not be able to see all the wineries, breweries, countryside, mountain bike tracks, surfing spots, it's paradise. I could live down there but I might find it a bit quite and prefer being near Perth. It would be too quite for me where you live mate. If you aren't bothered about going to the beach, don't particularly like hot weather, not interested in sport or swimming, then I can understand why you might find WA a bit boring.

Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head. I like swimming, but prefer the pool. The sport i play (Badmington) i could play anywhere. So that leaves me to wander around suburbia or look at the amazing architecture of Perth.

I have done Marge to death. Did the cow parade and got round the region doing that. Did a incredibly expensive trip for the wineries (we decided to do a week eating at all of the major wineries). Done the rest of the s/w towns. Done all the little places around where i live such as Dwellingup. So find myself asking "now what".

Same with restaurants, which as you know, i love. But, spent the other night after work looking at somewhere to go next month and can not find anywhere. Bit of another "now what"

All very interesting, but why has this thread now turned into a Perth VS anywhere thread. I took the time to put our expenditure so far in the hope that it might help a new starter realise the costs involved with getting a visa and the removals costs.

Come On, if you don't like Perth, fine. If people love it there, let them enjoy it!

Well said my dear! Here here!

Guest Ptp113
Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head. I like swimming, but prefer the pool. The sport i play (Badmington) i could play anywhere. So that leaves me to wander around suburbia or look at the amazing architecture of Perth.

I have done Marge to death. Did the cow parade and got round the region doing that. Did a incredibly expensive trip for the wineries (we decided to do a week eating at all of the major wineries). Done the rest of the s/w towns. Done all the little places around where i live such as Dwellingup. So find myself asking "now what".

Same with restaurants, which as you know, i love. But, spent the other night after work looking at somewhere to go next month and can not find anywhere. Bit of another "now what"

Been to Bistro des Artistes?

Emigration is expensive. We put pressure on ourselves and only booked 14 days car hire and 14 days short term accommodation when we came and didnt have to bring pets etc. Luckily it was easy to find a flat to live in and there is decent public transport in the part of Melbourne we live in so a car was not necessary for many months.

Having said that it was dear but in just 9 months we've more than made back what it cost us to move here and in addition been able to put away more in savings than we had before we embarked on the whole process in the first place. You might also have some luck! :-)

Been to Bistro des Artistes?

No. Do you recomend it? I know people who have been and said the food was pretty reasonable but service very poor.

Happy to give it a try sometime, but not this time as need somewhere in the city - off to the ballet so dont want to trek from the city, to subi, then back to the city for the train home. Did look at Jacksons, but it just doesnt excite me

Guest Ptp113
No. Do you recomend it? I know people who have been and said the food was pretty reasonable but service very poor.

Happy to give it a try sometime, but not this time as need somewhere in the city - off to the ballet so dont want to trek from the city, to subi, then back to the city for the train home. Did look at Jacksons, but it just doesnt excite me

Owner/chef used to own Loose Box which won best restaurant in the country some years ago.

I know you are choosy VS but you can't possibly have been to every restaurant in easy reach of where you live mate, not to mention the really nice ones I've been to in Freo, Cott, West Coast Highway. Wouldn't know any further South as we don't go down there, too far. How do you know if anywhere is any good until you visit it? To say you can't find anywhere to go is just BS.

I know you are choosy VS but you can't possibly have been to every restaurant in easy reach of where you live mate, not to mention the really nice ones I've been to in Freo, Cott, West Coast Highway. Wouldn't know any further South as we don't go down there, too far. How do you know if anywhere is any good until you visit it? To say you can't find anywhere to go is just BS.

Well, regarding the "restaurants" where i live (I use the term very loosely), yes, done them all. The only two i woul do again is the indian (but thats not anything special and M on the Point where we had a nice meal last month. At the moment i am looking for something for next month in central Perth / CBD for a after theatre meal. Pref fine dining.

Ones that i have considered but rules out.

Print Hall (Been before, service was shocking and food very average)

Trustee and Heritage. As above

Jacksons. The one possible but it just is not exciting me

Nobu Like it, but been twice this year

Rockpool. The one and only time i have ever sent a dish back. And here did it twice in one meal. Say no more. Disapointing given we have had excellent meals in the Sydney one

Amuse. Used to be our favourite, but last time it was pretty dull food. Which is the exact opposite to what it is selling

Andaluz. Not really fine dining but nice enough place but wife was very disapointed (She is Peruvian so tapas is part of her culture)

Well, regarding the "restaurants" where i live (I use the term very loosely), yes, done them all. The only two i woul do again is the indian (but thats not anything special and M on the Point where we had a nice meal last month. At the moment i am looking for something for next month in central Perth / CBD for a after theatre meal. Pref fine dining.

Ones that i have considered but rules out.

Print Hall (Been before, service was shocking and food very average)

Trustee and Heritage. As above

Jacksons. The one possible but it just is not exciting me

Nobu Like it, but been twice this year

Rockpool. The one and only time i have ever sent a dish back. And here did it twice in one meal. Say no more. Disapointing given we have had excellent meals in the Sydney one

Amuse. Used to be our favourite, but last time it was pretty dull food. Which is the exact opposite to what it is selling

Andaluz. Not really fine dining but nice enough place but wife was very disapointed (She is Peruvian so tapas is part of her culture)

Well that's a pretty small list out of all the restaurants that are in Perth VS so you might be pleasantly surprised. Somehow I doubt it though.:cool:

Well that's a pretty small list out of all the restaurants that are in Perth VS so you might be pleasantly surprised. Somehow I doubt it though.:cool:

I know there are a lot more. But there are not many more in the CBD that you can call upper end - its not snobbery. Once every two months after me being away for a month, we like to have something special.

But, yes, i think you might be right about not being pleasantly surprised. I can eat better in Dar es Salaam than i can in Perth. Feck, i can eat better in Bunia than Perth at times

As you cannot find a resturant that is up to the VS standard in Perth, you have to accept that your after theatre meal is going to be a let down no matter where you go.

The only option, therefore, is to buy a take away pizza, two cans of coke, and eat it sitting on the theatre steps.

Archived