How many are happy they made the move to Australia?

richselina

There is a thread that's getting a lot of activity 'Australia the expensive country' so I thought I'd start one to try to get a totally unbiased view from people that have made the move.

So lets get this started.

How many people are happy they have made the move and whats the thing they like the most and thing they like the least?

How many people are not happy they have made the move and whats the main reason behind this, but also is there anything that is liked?

Ill keep the tally and update on a regular basis.

There is a thread that's getting a lot of activity 'Australia the expensive country' so I thought I'd start one to try to get a totally unbiased view from people that have made the move.

Unbiased?.....are you serious?:laugh::laugh:

We are very happy with our decision to move the where my Dad was born

We feel very much at home here

We had a great life in the UK

We now have a great life in Australia

So no complaints about either country as we love them both

We've just decided to live in Australia and will probably see out our days here

So many reasons as to why we love both Countries but you don't have to hate a country to leave it behind

I would never talk bad about the Uk as it was my home for so many years taking the good with the bad

Which is what we do now in Australia

We have so many friends and family still in the UK but has we don't live their I never discuss the UK as it'll have changed so much now

I wish everyone luck in the country they've chosen to live in

Guest chris955

On a migration forum you will inevitably get an overwhelming positive response, people left a particular country for a reason. I grew up in Australia and was by and large happy there but happier here, for others it is the opposite.

Hi, been here 4.5 years, and glad we did it. The first 2 years were hard, but we changed a few things like the suburb/house where we were living, jobs etc and now life is very good.

Yes Aus is expensive. Thats just a fact of living here. It doesnt mean its not a great place to live or bring up kids. Where we are (Geelong) provides exactly the right sort of environment for us as a family. Close to Melbourne, close to beaches, Victorian climate with its mild winters and not too hot summers, our eldest is at a lovely school. We have a nice house, not cheap mind, but still nice and with plenty of space.

In terms of the downsides, it would probably be the cost of things. Going on holiday in Aus is prohibitively expensive for us unless we go camping, which we don't really want to do that often. It works out similar price to go on holiday to Bali or Fiji compared with interstate here and that is ridicuolus. Eating out and pubs are stupid money, the quality of the food in restaurants in Geelong is often pretty average considering the price tag: the portions are typically big, the flavours are typically bland and forgettable.

But overall, we're happy. If I wasn't married to an Aussie I wouldn't have come out here in the first place, but thats just part of life's rich tapestry, innit?

By far the best decision we ever made, we have experienced so many things we wouldn't have in the uk and actually get to spend time with our children rather than work, work and more work.

Only thing I miss is my family

Ditto the above,, we too are happy with the move we made.

Cal x

Well you cannot get unbiased views, because an individuals view is always biased to an extent.

There is nothing that I can identify as the thing I like the most, we are just happy. We are happy being on this side of the world and exploring, we have both been with our respective employers since we got here and fitted in really well, both had promotions to new roles now too.

What I like least are house prices in Sydney suburbs. We have a high joint income but are still renting and probably will be for another year or two, that is because we are particular about the area we want to live in, although we are not looking for a large house, but even apartments where we want to live are $700k.

Yes I am - the first 2 years were damn hard and we certainly wobbled.

I miss my Dad and friends back in the UK and that is the hardest bit.

But my children have a great future ahead of them here and I am enjoying my qulaity time with them here.

The UK, as much as I love the place, the economic doom and "doing it tough" was something I do not miss.

Australia is very much what you make of it - but the key is to get the right place to set up home.

It was ok for the first few years, we came to give the kids a better life, but 6 years in and they have done nothing that they could not of acheived in the uk, would probably have done better as they would have had a richer up bringing been surrounded by family, cousins, aunts, grandparents, Australia can be a very lonely place. We also like to travel which we did a lot more of in the uk, but the cost here is very expensive. Once the novelty had worn of for me I found Australia to be a very boring existance a long long way from the rest of the world I guess.

Guest Ptp113
It was ok for the first few years, we came to give the kids a better life, but 6 years in and they have done nothing that they could not of acheived in the uk, would probably have done better as they would have had a richer up bringing been surrounded by family, cousins, aunts, grandparents, Australia can be a very lonely place. We also like to travel which we did a lot more of in the uk, but the cost here is very expensive. Once the novelty had worn of for me I found Australia to be a very boring existance a long long way from the rest of the world I guess.

Only boring people doing boring things get bored!

Commented tonight to my hubby (been here 6 years), that I feel very at home here. I've often said on here that I have a great sense of contentment. We have benefited from more time together as a family and with my children growing up that has been the greatest gift - it isn't the outings etc., but e.g. sitting outside at weekends having dinner that lasts for hours because we're relaxing and chatting and playing silly games we've made up ... the outdoor living has given us that (in winter we light the fire pit and sit around that).

The thing I like least is perhaps the red tape at work, it isn't easy to share information with other agencies without release of information forms etc.,

Do I wish we'd done it years ago? Probably not, I think our move has been successful because the time was right when we did it, we were very secure in who we were and what we had and were ready for a bit of an adventure.

I'm not entirely unhappy we made the move, we've been to hell and back but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Heading back this year for the next stage of our journey, I've spent most of my adult life being fairly nomadic, spent between 3-7 years in every place I've lived since being 18 (& I'm 46 now!) so 5 in Oz is pretty average - it will be the first place I've left because I didn't like it and it will be the first time I've moved back to somewhere. In no way am I saying it'll be forever though :)

I moved because I'm married to an Aussie. While I miss family and friends I love being in Sydney.

Positives; weather, food, friendliness, fairly easy going.

Negatives; lots of red tape and aggressive driving standards.

Some will agree with me, some won't. Point is we are all different, have different tastes and different experinces so very hard to say if a country is for you based on a strangers opinion.

I would have perfectly been happy in UK too but I have surprised myself at how quickly I've settled here and how much I actually enjoy being in the Sun, it gives me a buzz.

The first 10 years were ok. Would I do it again? Probably. Would I stay so long? Definitely not. It's very much a horses for courses issue and then you change, your priorities change, circumstances change and the trick is to take the best opportunity at the time. For some of us that means moving on.

Hi, been here 4.5 years, and glad we did it. The first 2 years were hard, but we changed a few things like the suburb/house where we were living, jobs etc and now life is very good.

Yes Aus is expensive. Thats just a fact of living here. It doesnt mean its not a great place to live or bring up kids. Where we are (Geelong) provides exactly the right sort of environment for us as a family. Close to Melbourne, close to beaches, Victorian climate with its mild winters and not too hot summers, our eldest is at a lovely school. We have a nice house, not cheap mind, but still nice and with plenty of space.

In terms of the downsides, it would probably be the cost of things. Going on holiday in Aus is prohibitively expensive for us unless we go camping, which we don't really want to do that often. It works out similar price to go on holiday to Bali or Fiji compared with interstate here and that is ridicuolus . Eating out and pubs are stupid money, the quality of the food in restaurants in Geelong is often pretty average considering the price tag: the portions are typically big, the flavours are typically bland and forgettable.

But overall, we're happy. If I wasn't married to an Aussie I wouldn't have come out here in the first place, but thats just part of life's rich tapestry, innit?

Same in the UK though isn't it? A fortnights holiday in the UK will cost more than the same time in Spain, Greece, Turkey, Portugal or The Canaries.

We are very happy we made the move. It isn't an easy thing to do, it costs a huge amount financially and emotionally, but for us it has been the best move. We were happy in the uk, but we are happier here. We have booked a visit to the uk in September, our first one in over four years, and it will be interesting to see how we both feel after that. I shouldn't think that our feelings will change.

Easily the best move. Melbourne is an amazing city and Australians are great people. From my experience many that go back to the UK can't overcome the pull of family whereas many that make a new life embrace the differences. I also believe that it is easier to afford return visits from here - at least that is my experience. Every time I return to the UK, my decision to emigrate all those years ago is reinforced. This despite the fact that I do miss my family and I still believe that a nice summers day in the UK takes some beating (just not enough of them unfortunately). If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I guess I would say that in the UK you live to exist whereas here you exist to live. Just my twopenneths worth.

Same in the UK though isn't it? A fortnights holiday in the UK will cost more than the same time in Spain, Greece, Turkey, Portugal or The Canaries.

Dunno, but I'd happily go on holiday to eg France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany, but the thought of Bali or Fiji just doesnt do it for me

Archived