Your views...

VERYSTORMY

i saw this on the news last night. I dont really see much of a problem with it. When i was at the jobcentre i asked if they could offer me something like this but in care. They looked at me like i was a weirdo even tho they've got workplacement signs on the walls.

If someone has no experience in a particular job then why knock back a bit of a experience instead of just sitting in the house.

Saying that, i dont know how long the placements are for and if its like a full 40hour shift week. I should probably go read the article you posted..

There is absolutely nothing wrong in working for a welfare payments, however, I strongly object to big corporations taking advantage of people by hiring 'cheap' labour' into their workforce in mind numbing dead end jobs that provide no incentive,no training and ultimately no promise of a job.

Nothing wrong with working for welfare payments? I'd say it depends on the job.

Charity shops? Probably okay.

However, commercial enterprises like Poundland? Probably not. What's the likelihood of Poundland creating any real jobs as long as they're being offered free forced labour by the government? This amounts to the government giving subsidies in the form of free labour to their corporate cronies. Also, depending on how much benefit was being received, this could well be violating the government's own minimum wage standards.

Frankly, I'd think the government's efforts would be better spent devising policies to create some REAL jobs.

Ah one of the entitled elite who screams Human Rights whenever anyone actually expects her to do something for her taxpayer dosh. The choice of Poundland was a little silly - I agree, picking up litter or, at the very least, charity shops would have been a much better option. Suppose she'll get a job out of it but if I were an employer she'd be on the back burner with a little "trouble" label beside her.

Two minds on this one, yes people should work if offered and not scrounge, but.. at the same time why should someone who has done her best education wise be forced to take a job that would and should be there for someone who didnt do that well at their education.

Its not her fault, the blame lies with incompetent people in power.

Giving a very young, just out of school, no qualifications teenager some work experience, whatever that experience is, is IMO a good idea. You should not expect to come out of school and be a CEO in a large multi national. Some work experience on the CV looks good. However, if you are over 40 you probably have some work experience so stacking shelves in Poundland is not going to be of any benefit. Likewise, if you have qualified as a geologist, again, you wouldn't want Poundland on your CV. :sad: Horses for courses. Voluntary work is good for the soul and you meet new people and make connections, work and social. I just got a part time job yesterday, yippee for me

One of my friends went and did a forensic biologist type course. Couldnt get a job at the end of it. I dont think the jobcentre know quite what to make of her lol shes a bit like amy from the big bang theory sitcom. She wouldnt have a problem doing one of those of placements. If your looking for ANY job and you dont have experience then dont think you can afford to be picky.

It depends on the hours etc tho because theres obviously some shops who will take advantage of their situation

The thing that got me is she is a geologist. She qualified in the middle of the biggest mining boom on the planet. In the UK geologists, even new grads can get 50k pounds. Fresh out of uni. But, after using tax Payers funds to get qualified, she refuses to work as one. Instead she insists on waiting out for the job of museum curator. A job which she is not qualified to do. A the minimum it needs a masters in museum studies and preferably a phd.

So, instead she thinks it is acceptable to take the dole. It's a bit like someone going to med school, refusing to work as a doctor and waiting instead for an offer from NASA to be an astronaught. Incredible.

From what I read she was already doing unpaid work in a museum to gain experience there and had to leave to stack shelves at Poundland. That was so wrong as she was already doing unpaid work. I understand that she is now working as a checkout person so she was not a job snob

From what I read she was already doing unpaid work in a museum to gain experience there and had to leave to stack shelves at Poundland. That was so wrong as she was already doing unpaid work. I understand that she is now working as a checkout person so she was not a job snob

She was doing 1 day a fortnight in a small pen museum. Not exactly stretching herself.

One day a fortnight - is that all? How on earth could she justify saying that the museum depended on her? You are right she was not exactly stretching herself. She should have been doing a lot more than that if she was trying to gain experience.

Best let my Nephew know. he's been on more courses than you could shake a stick at and never a job at the end of them. He might be up for a few bob.

When I was made redundant in the UK in the 1980's I went to the job centre and ended up "working for the dole" as I thought it would be better than just sitting at home. How far back can you claim.:wink:

I skimmed through the article, but I seemed to miss the bit about the student already working as a volunteer in a museum, which was related to her geology degree, and which would help her career when the economy picked up. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it just didn't fit in with the daily mail's argument. She had to give up the job in the museum so she could work as a slave in poundland. (Not sure what the poundland employee that they sacked is doing now). Also - could they not have found a better use for a HGV driver?

Guest scrumpy

The "some-tihng for nothing" culture has to stop, I was brought up that thier is no such thing as a "free lunch"

Seems to me some are offended if its not free and have to contribute towards it!!

It truly is scandalous

Time for National Service ????

Archived