How old is everyone?

McFisher

Thanks everyone.

My husband is getting more experience in his job (he has retrained as an appliance engineer), and hopefully get some qualifications under his belt in the meantime.

Unfortunately i am just an adminstrator, could kick myself now for not trying harder at school and getting a 'proper' job so that i am 'wanted' down under...I would love to retrain but didnt gain enough gcse's at school, didnt do much further education (some but nothing worth noting), plus i need to keep my full time job (which is good pay for what i do) to pay off the debt and get some savings.

Bit of a catch 22 situation really...could really slap myself now. But at least we are looking ahead to the future and preparing ourselves now to give us a fighting chance.

x

I'm 25 and my OH is 30, he's a graphic designer for a large company who sponsored him to work in Sydney for a period last year and we went travelling afterwards hiring a Juicy camper and setting out for the Horizon... we fell hook, line & sinker in love with life down under!

There's potentially due to company expansion that a role will come free that he is next in line for or that they will need him again ASAP, it's just a matter of timing and nothing is guaranteed so i am considering going back to study to give us a more certain future and chance of emigrating. I've been looking at going back to Uni or doing an Open University course, only problem is, once you are trained which may take 3/4 years, Australia look for experience too which means this takes longer...and the field you train in isn't necessarily going to be on the wanted skills list by the time you are ready to go. So your situation is similar to mine!

But y'know, i have a great faith, where there's a will there's a way...and if you're as in love with Oz as we are, then you will get there somehow... x

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 25 and my OH is 30, he's a graphic designer for a large company who sponsored him to work in Sydney for a period last year and we went travelling afterwards hiring a Juicy camper and setting out for the Horizon... we fell hook, line & sinker in love with life down under!

There's potentially due to company expansion that a role will come free that he is next in line for or that they will need him again ASAP, it's just a matter of timing and nothing is guaranteed so i am considering going back to study to give us a more certain future and chance of emigrating. I've been looking at going back to Uni or doing an Open University course, only problem is, once you are trained which may take 3/4 years, Australia look for experience too which means this takes longer...and the field you train in isn't necessarily going to be on the wanted skills list by the time you are ready to go. So your situation is similar to mine!

But y'know, i have a great faith, where there's a will there's a way...and if you're as in love with Oz as we are, then you will get there somehow... x

It really is hard work to get there, but hopefully we will appreciate it more.. I wouldnt want it to be like the Uk where anyone & everyone can just walk in to the country, thats the problem with the Uk, and one of the reasons i would like to move away. x

Guest shaunoss
You're not too old if you're under 50, go for it! I'm just waiting until I win the lottery now to retire there

Please dont say that Janet, I've just had my 50th :SLEEP:

We were granted 175 PR visas last april, and have just returned from Perth. We were over there to activate our visas, and for me to celebrate my landmark birthday in sunshine. Quite a novelty, as the previous 49 december 7th's have been spent in damp, wet and mostly cold, and always miserable (and mostly in Berkhamsted!).

"You are never too old", is a saying that I never really thought about too much until the last couple of years, and i really hope its true!! I keep reminding myself of it, when i see the latest England Football team announced....but Roy has never even phoned to see if i am available for selection.

Shaun.

It really is hard work to get there, but hopefully we will appreciate it more.. I wouldnt want it to be like the Uk where anyone & everyone can just walk in to the country, thats the problem with the Uk, and one of the reasons i would like to move away. x

I think there's pro's & cons wherever you go, but for me there are a lot of reasons i wish to move from the UK and i agree with you, that is one of mine too!

I think if we are determined enough then there will be a way. Have you been to Australia before? Do you know where about's you are wanting to go? x

I think there's pro's & cons wherever you go, but for me there are a lot of reasons i wish to move from the UK and i agree with you, that is one of mine too!

I think if we are determined enough then there will be a way. Have you been to Australia before? Do you know where about's you are wanting to go? x

I have been to Australia travelling, nearly 8 years ago now. We travelled down the east coast on the Oz Experience bus. Loved every minute of it, such a gorgeous fabulous place.

If i'm honest we are not too fussy about where to go to begin with, i think we need to be open minded enough to know that we need to go where the work is, especially for the first couple of years, then i believe we can then have more of a choice of areas once we are established in the Australian system. This way we may still get to go rather than be all pig headed and say Sydney and not get anywhere. This is just in my opinion though!

What about yourself? You been before? Any specific areas you are looking at? x

Please dont say that Janet, I've just had my 50th :SLEEP:

We were granted 175 PR visas last april, and have just returned from Perth. We were over there to activate our visas, and for me to celebrate my landmark birthday in sunshine. Quite a novelty, as the previous 49 december 7th's have been spent in damp, wet and mostly cold, and always miserable (and mostly in Berkhamsted!).

"You are never too old", is a saying that I never really thought about too much until the last couple of years, and i really hope its true!! I keep reminding myself of it, when i see the latest England Football team announced....but Roy has never even phoned to see if i am available for selection.

Shaun.

Well said age is just in the mind your only as old as the toy boy your felling lol

I have been to Australia travelling, nearly 8 years ago now. We travelled down the east coast on the Oz Experience bus. Loved every minute of it, such a gorgeous fabulous place.

If i'm honest we are not too fussy about where to go to begin with, i think we need to be open minded enough to know that we need to go where the work is, especially for the first couple of years, then i believe we can then have more of a choice of areas once we are established in the Australian system. This way we may still get to go rather than be all pig headed and say Sydney and not get anywhere. This is just in my opinion though!

What about yourself? You been before? Any specific areas you are looking at? x

Yeah we went in 2011 travelled to Sydney then i drove down the coast stopping everywhere we could before heading to Melbourne, Along the Great Ocean Road and back before flying to Cairns and travelling down the coast through to the Whitsundays then the tilt train to Brisbane, loved every minute of it. Never been to Perth or Adelaide though so i would really like to visit there as everywhere is so different! We'd love Sydney and think that's where my partner is most likely to be located with work but i think realistically we are pretty much open minded about where we end up. See what happens i suppose! :)

Yeah we went in 2011 travelled to Sydney then i drove down the coast stopping everywhere we could before heading to Melbourne, Along the Great Ocean Road and back before flying to Cairns and travelling down the coast through to the Whitsundays then the tilt train to Brisbane, loved every minute of it. Never been to Perth or Adelaide though so i would really like to visit there as everywhere is so different! We'd love Sydney and think that's where my partner is most likely to be located with work but i think realistically we are pretty much open minded about where we end up. See what happens i suppose! :)

Have only just noticed that you are from Leeds too. Whereabouts do you work? x

I am 62 and The Mrs is 59, and we have been out here 31 years...........with no regrets. Lordy, just realised, we have been out here longer than some of you have been on this Earth. LOL.

Well done, sonny...:wink:

Going on 72 and going on 50 years in this fabulous land. And never had any regrets.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi, I'm 39, the main applicant and I got my invite to apply in December.

My best advice is get your stuff together in time to get your invite before you are 40 as the points for age drop by 10 (under the current scoring system).

Give yourself about a year to get any skills assessment and IELTS tests sorted. I did this all from July but I'll admit its been a bit frantic as I'm 40 in March. I wish I'd got my backside into gear, especially with the skills assessment, a bit earlier.

Good luck with your journey along the visa trail.

I'm 42 and oh is 35. We have just started the application process. We looked at it in 2009 but needed to gain qualifications in the relevant skills. Funnily enough we put it to the back of our minds, got the skills and only recently looked at it again. I found the original info I had printed off the intranet with a points working in one of the files in our loft. So I don't think you're too old at all!

I'm 48 and the OH (main applicant) is 40. We got our visas last year and will be making the move this year (hopefully with our two Sons). The OH is a mechanic so we're hoping he'll be ok. I'm a conveyancer and my job doesn't exist in Aus so I'll be retraining - or retiring :wink: I hope you can find your path x

We came when I was in mid 20s and husband early 30s - good age for us because we had an idea what we wanted out of life , 2 kids ( weren't going to have anymore but we did of course) and a little bit of a house deposit. Emphasis on the little- we didn't have enough to return for a visit to the UK for over 10 years. I am glad , looking back - think it helped us 'settle'

Archived