How did you afford to go to Oz?

russ and claire

Sorry for being nosy but how did you afford to move to Oz? Did you sell your house, have savings, desperately saving etc...?

Russ is a nurse and although I am an OT tech, once I am back from maternity leave, I have to give my notice in as mother in law has said she no longer wants to help look after the kids, they will be 3yrs and 8mths old when I go back to work so the childcare costs will wipe out my wages, so will join an agency and hopefully will work on the wards but obviously this effects how quick we can get to Oz and whether we can actually afford to do it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our visa we managed to do mainly from saving although the final part we ended up down grading our car, the rest will come from sale of house and the day after getting our visa i got made redunant after 11 years service so will walk away with about £14k tax free so that was good timing for us. I think it depends on what visa you go for as to what the cost of it wil be. Short of the lotto maybe its time to sell your body lol

Visa costs we covered as we were going along each month (though the medicals nearly wiped us out). House sale has fallen though 3 times and now back in process of being sold again - FiL lent us money for flights and set up costs to be paid back when the house sale completes. Now we've been here 6 months we're fully self sufficient in Oz and is just the UK house dragging us down. May even manage a holiday in 2013?

The only way i can afford to go is due to the package i was offered by a very good company who have given me a job, they have paid for everything , medical, visa app, flight and first two months accommodation, even a hire car, I couldn't of asked for anything more. I have a bit of savings that should help too,

Selling our house and everything we owned. We didn't really have savings as all extra wages got paid off the mortgage on top of normal payments each month. But after nearly four years of owning our own house we had cut our mortgage down to ten years, so sort of savings. We also had the house sale fall through twice before it sold and the last one was hairy. We couldn't have afforded to come without selling the house as we came on a student visa so had huge fees to pay and work restrictions.

Guest The Pom Queen

Sold our house before we even got the visa, a huge risk but it worked, mind you back then we had no choice as we had to put a $100k in bonds to gain the extra 5 points

Guest guest69493
Saved, no house to sell, nothing to sell in fact just furniture. Came over with $11k.

I have just arrived in november with partner and our daughter to Brisbane. Healthcareelite.co.uk interviewed me for a company called REGIS AGED CARE ( 40 facilities over Austraila). They paid for visa, 2 weeks accomadation and 2 weeks travel. Any more questions just fire ahead.

Sold our house before we even got the visa, a huge risk but it worked, mind you back then we had no choice as we had to put a $100k in bonds to gain the extra 5 points

A roundabout inheritance for us. not a huge amount so we'll have to do it on a budget. we were trying to save before that but just treading water. As medical staff you may get a relcation package certainly worth looking at.

My partner and I met 3 years ago, he has been living with me ever since. We sold his house that he was left in a will so got about £25k for that (was shared with other siblings) and between that and seriously cutting back we have a bit of money saved up.

My house is going on the market next week so hopefully will get some money from that but we also have our wedding to pay for in June before we head off in July.

Guest guest30085

I will have to sell my house, renting it out isn't an option as I won't be able to ship anything (although my plan is to throw the cat in a rucksack and hope he doesn't make too much noise going through Customs;) )

Some recommend renting your house out, but not everyone is in a financial situation where that would be a viable option.

Archived