Weather question..

Johnlucy

Hi Guys,

I know there are probably loads of posts on this but....

As a pasty white Irish family used to the soaring temperatures of western Ireland, just how big of a shock will the weather/heat beicon6.png? And how long does it take to get used to it?

Cheers

J

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Depends on where you are going. I would suggest Melbourne if you are really concerned, it still gets baking hot, but for far shorter a period than say Queensland, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney.

Depends on where you are going. I would suggest Melbourne if you are really concerned, it still gets baking hot, but for far shorter a period than say Queensland, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney.

We've looked a Melbourne but just decided that Perth was rightly or wrongly more family orientated. I've heard that the heat in Melbourne can be a little overwhelming as the weather is so changeable?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We've looked a Melbourne but just decided that Perth was rightly or wrongly more family orientated. I've heard that the heat in Melbourne can be a little overwhelming as the weather is so changeable?

We went to Perth for a month the whole of January the hottest month the temps ranged from 35 to 42 degrees and we had no problem really, but we were on holiday and I can imagine having 5 or 6 months of it can be overwhelming, but people living there say you eventually become acclimatised to it.

I've heard that Perth is soooo very hot esp in summer. Have you tried hot weather before?--how did your body react? thats the main thing--if you feel you can cope then u might be able to--but if late 30's and 40's are insufferable dont venture into perth would be my advice.

I've heard that Perth is soooo very hot esp in summer. Have you tried hot weather before?--how did your body react? thats the main thing--if you feel you can cope then u might be able to--but if late 30's and 40's are insufferable dont venture into perth would be my advice.

I hated it when the heat wave season started, I did not have air con and to try and sleep at night was just impossible, try Brisbane it is like the UK but a bit warmer with more rainfall.

I live in a place that gets pretty hot 8 months a year. Aircondition is everywhere. The problem is not so much the heat ( yes you will get used to it) but the changes between 45 degrees outside and 20 or less degrees in the shops, banks, offices:confused:. I do have aircondition and keep it at 26 degrees all the time:cute:.

What about Tasmania? Don`t have a personal experience but how hot can it possibly get there?:err:

For about 10 months of the year, Perths weather is fab, then for about 1 month chilly, wet and windy, and the other month high 30's to 40's. But its geared up fantastically for the sun. Shades are everywhere, Air con everywhere. Most shops, market stalls, school supplies suncream, its just geared up for it. Most people cover up on the beach with families, you'll see the all have sun tents and the kids wear "rashies" Swim tops. In fact if you do get burnt, you tend to get looked at like your a moron :biglaugh: Seriously you'll be fine. We went for a trip to Kings Park this summer and took our picnic. When we got there everyone was sat under the trees, I even remarked to the OH if this was where we were from everyone would be spread out basking in the sun. You adust your ways, slip slop slap.

Perths heats dry which is easier to deal with. Yes its hot at times but your hair doesn't give Dianna Ross a run for her money and its not so sticky like in say Cyprus or Brisbane. You will get used to it for sure.

For about 10 months of the year, Perths weather is fab, then for about 1 month chilly, wet and windy, and the other month high 30's to 40's. But its geared up fantastically for the sun. Shades are everywhere, Air con everywhere. Most shops, market stalls, school supplies suncream, its just geared up for it. Most people cover up on the beach with families, you'll see the all have sun tents and the kids wear "rashies" Swim tops. In fact if you do get burnt, you tend to get looked at like your a moron :biglaugh: Seriously you'll be fine. We went for a trip to Kings Park this summer and took our picnic. When we got there everyone was sat under the trees, I even remarked to the OH if this was where we were from everyone would be spread out basking in the sun. You adust your ways, slip slop slap.
10 months of the year the weather is great you say :err: I must have been unlucky with my 5 years in perth then

I am very much a cold lover. I am in Perth and it's not so bad. The real stinking hot days are only a dozen or so a year. I will be taking the dog out in half an hour and need a coat on.

Summer heat is a dry heat which is a lot easier to handle than humidity which is what Melbourne and Brisbane get.

Guest orlaandjoe

We are an Irish family, living here in WA for last three months. We arrived end of Jan/start of Feb so still hot (mid to high 30's sometimes 40s) but as another poster said, everywhere is so well equipped to deal with the heat and its surprising how quickly you get used to it! My OH is an electrician and works about 30 mins in from the coast, on the hotter days he found it a bit hard to manage working outside but the company have cold water and suncream on hand for them. At the min the weather is starting to cool down, sitting around mid twenties with rain every so often. We must have acclimatised quickly because if temp drops to low twenties we are pulling on hoodies and jeans lol..best of luck with the move!:smile:

I hated it when the heat wave season started, I did not have air con and to try and sleep at night was just impossible, try Brisbane it is like the UK but a bit warmer with more rainfall.

Or you may like the heat,have a house with aircon and find it perfect for you.

Depends where you go, all of Australia is not the same. We are in Sydney, last year around February time it was really unsufferably hot and humid but it was only unbearable for a couple of weeks. This year was not as hot or humid and was not so bad really. The rainfall takes some getting used to though. :biggrin:

I am very much a cold lover. I am in Perth and it's not so bad. The real stinking hot days are only a dozen or so a year. I will be taking the dog out in half an hour and need a coat on.

Summer heat is a dry heat which is a lot easier to handle than humidity which is what Melbourne and Brisbane get.

Dry heat is easier than humidity but Perth gets so many very hot days compared to Brisbane that I'm not sure it is much better. 28c and humid vs 38c and dry/windy...

Hi we are Irish as well and are hoping to get back out to Perth for the middle of Sept, I arrived last time at the end of Jan and it was 35 degrees, I guess for me it took about a month to really get used to it, in the 2 years I was there I never lived anywhere with aircon and to be honest it would have been nice for that 2 weeks in the middle of the summer but otherwise you get used to the heat, the freo doc fixes you(thats the sea winds that come in most days around 11 or 12 to cool you down) i worked outside on site in full lengths, trousers and long sleeve shirts hard hat with the sun protector around it.

On those really hot days a few trips to the beech will help.

I found the winter hard as the houses are not like Ireland and the UK, they are single glazed windows and no insulation, so what choose your house well and make sure you can get some sort of heating and not the electric heaters as they cost a fortune to run.

The most important things are sun cream ever 30 mins and lots of water (well and a few beers :biggrin:)

hope my waffle helps you and best of luck.

Archived