Moving back after 20 years

Frankozuk

Hi all

i have been living in Sydney for 20 years. I am still single with no kids and my work is freelance.

I have been wanting to move back to London for a year or two My mum is there and getting on.

I have been feeling this way for a very long time. When I speak with my friends in Sydney quite a few long term expat Brits themselves they are very negative about the UK and it has rubbed off on me.

I am now 53 and a bit worried about getting work although I have spoken with recruiters in London in my line of work and they are quite positive about my prospects. i have an apartment in Sydney and the rent will cover the mortgage. I love Sydney but I feel I want to go home for a bit while I am still able and my mum is still around. Sydney is not going anywhere and I will always regret not going even if it's just a year or so.

In my heart I know I should make the trip and not let the fear of the unknown stop me.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are negative for valid reasons due to their OWN experiences. But they are their own experiences ! And I have also met lots of people who are negative about everything !!! Before they open their mouths you know what they are going to say . Make your own judgements .

Guest Guest 47403

Go for it your single what have you got to lose, no expert but job prospects in London and Sydney are probably about the same generally speaking.

As I always say,there are no regrets or mistakes.People make decisions with the knowledge they have AT THAT TIME!I've followed this for absolutely years so don't beat yourself up over making a decision.Sounds to me like it might work you way,considering you have property already in Sydney?Life's too short,if it were me?No kids or partner to have to discuss this with,and security with renting your own property out whilst you're in the UK?I'd go for it.

Edited by Jacaranda

I am 53 and heading the other way next year. If we took on board all of the negatives we would never do anything. Don't know about your line of work but London is thriving and in general there is plenty of work. I have no idea why age is perceived such a barrier. I have been with my company only 4 years but have seen off many of the youngsters who tend to move on just when they are starting to become useful. Older workers are a better bet IMO.

I am 53 and heading the other way next year. If we took on board all of the negatives we would never do anything. Don't know about your line of work but London is thriving and in general there is plenty of work. I have no idea why age is perceived such a barrier.

I agree, London is booming. In my opinion London is the only city in the world where job applicants are judged purely on their ability rather than their nationality or heritage, so 20 years in Sydney won't hurt you. Age discrimination leaves me a little uncomfortable though - everyone denies it but it's pretty clear that it happens.

It's a wise moving keeping your place in Sydney so you have the option of going back.

If this negativity is coming from long term expats then how would they know what it's like!? And the fact that they left shows they weren't happy so will be biased but millions of others love it. London is ever changing, the Olympics was a real boost and so on. Ignore it! What's the worse that can happen? You're not surrendering your Sydney life, you could easily return. You've obviously worked hard to be in this position, take the chance to reap the rewards.

Thanks so much for the positive response - I am in a lucky position I can rent my place out in Sydney and stay with family until I get myself organised in London. As you all say I can go for as long or short as I want. I do hear good reports that things are really picking up in London too. The one thing I know for sure is that if I don't go even if it's just for a while i will always regret it - especially if it's just fear of the unknown. I will try to organise myself to arrive in the spring. Thanks all.

I'm doing the same myself, although have only been in Australia for 18 months.

I am not from London originally but lived there got 8 years before moving to Melbourne. I noticed a massive change in that time so am sure that after 20 years you'll be positively blown away by the range of things to do, how easy it is to get around, the cleanliness etc. It is also far cheaper and easier to get away to everywhere in Europe for a short break than I expect it was 20 years ago.

Guest Guest16631
Hi all

i have been living in Sydney for 20 years. I am still single with no kids and my work is freelance.

I have been wanting to move back to London for a year or two My mum is there and getting on.

I have been feeling this way for a very long time. When I speak with my friends in Sydney quite a few long term expat Brits themselves they are very negative about the UK and it has rubbed off on me.

I am now 53 and a bit worried about getting work although I have spoken with recruiters in London in my line of work and they are quite positive about my prospects. i have an apartment in Sydney and the rent will cover the mortgage. I love Sydney but I feel I want to go home for a bit while I am still able and my mum is still around. Sydney is not going anywhere and I will always regret not going even if it's just a year or so.

In my heart I know I should make the trip and not let the fear of the unknown stop me.

.......not just a window of opportunity.....!

......it's a door wide open.....

......I would go ........good luck to you whatever path your journey takes.......tink x

Hi

You should go with your heart. Nothing is for ever and you can always return if things don't work out the way you want them to and there is nothing worse than continually pondering on whether or not you should do something. My motto is 'that it is better to regret doing something than to regret not doing it'. You are really sensible to leave your apartment rented out in Sydney as you are keeping a good option open for if you do return. Property prices in London are steep at the moment. We have done this several times. It leads to an unsettled life but an interesting one !! Good luck and don't be afraid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I say go for it , there is nothing worse than regrets. Spend some time with your mum and enjoy your time back in the UK however long that may be .

I couldn't agree more! It's perfectly understandable you'd want to spend some quality time with your mum while she's still with us, after being away so long. Only one thing I recommend, if you haven't already gone through the process during your 20 years of PR in Oz, is to apply for Citizenship before you return to the UK. You can't know for sure if a situation won't crop up while you're back home that keeps you away from Australia longer than your Resident Return Visa allows for, and it's best to be safe than sorry. I know from experience, as we were out of Oz much longer than our RRV allowed, for reasons beyond our control (elderly, poorly parent-related, etc), and only managed to get back after a difficult, uncertain battle (thanks to a v.good MARA agent!), which we wouldn't want to go through again! All this could have been avoided if we'd bothered to become Naturalised during the 24 years we lived in Oz prior to returning to England in 1993.

So, Frankozuk, if you haven't already done so, please take this advice in the spirit it's offered before you make the big move.

Good luck, sir!