Moving back after 20 years

Frankozuk

If this negativity is coming from long term expats then how would they know what it's like!?

I was just about to say the exact same thing. I left working in London 8 months ago and I found it to be a parallel universe. No matter how 'tight' things are in the UK, theres always money, jobs and opportunity in London.

Go for it!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather regret doing it ,then regret not doing it .

Our exact motto for moving out here.

Someone also said to us in the UK before we left "you also need to go to prove that its the wrong thing to do"...some people might think this is a negative attitude but I kind of like it!

Edited by wattsy1982

We have been in Perth in 13 years. Ready to move back now. Loved Perth when we first got here, fantastic place to live UNTIL ........ the prices for just a cup of coffee have rocketed, everything is seriously overpriced. We went out to Leederville a few weeks back with another couple. A night out and a couple of share plates and a taxi home cost us EACH couple $250!! A round of drinks in seriously over priced bars was $50+ one place the cheapest glass of wine was $15. Had enough of being ripped off, ready to head back to the UK. Time to move back to be closer to family and friends, time to pay $10 for two pints of beer and a glass of coke (that was in Leicester Square in London in 2013).

Edited by Jane66

Very brave of you to do that. Can you take unpaid leave and try it for 6 months maybe as an insurance policy

No we plan on moving lock, stock and barrel. I think it really is time to move on to a new chapter in our lives, we do not anticipate returning. By the way - we went to a bar in the city yesterday, they wanted $15 for a bottle of cider - I had a photo on my phone of Tesco's shelves offering the same cider (only 3 months ago) three bottles for the equivalent of $10!

Hi all

i have been living in Sydney for 20 years. I am still single with no kids and my work is freelance.

I have been wanting to move back to London for a year or two My mum is there and getting on.

I have been feeling this way for a very long time. When I speak with my friends in Sydney quite a few long term expat Brits themselves they are very negative about the UK and it has rubbed off on me.

I am now 53 and a bit worried about getting work although I have spoken with recruiters in London in my line of work and they are quite positive about my prospects. i have an apartment in Sydney and the rent will cover the mortgage. I love Sydney but I feel I want to go home for a bit while I am still able and my mum is still around. Sydney is not going anywhere and I will always regret not going even if it's just a year or so.

Hi..I`m also returning to the UK after 20 odd years...same ish reasons...I`ve pondered it a lot over the last few years...but, all I can add is time with your family is priceless...sounds like under your circumstances you should have no regrets going for it...to me its a no brainer...I wish you all the best..

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

i have been living in Sydney for 20 years. I am still single with no kids and my work is freelance.

I have been wanting to move back to London for a year or two My mum is there and getting on.

I have been feeling this way for a very long time. When I speak with my friends in Sydney quite a few long term expat Brits themselves they are very negative about the UK and it has rubbed off on me.

I am now 53 and a bit worried about getting work although I have spoken with recruiters in London in my line of work and they are quite positive about my prospects. i have an apartment in Sydney and the rent will cover the mortgage. I love Sydney but I feel I want to go home for a bit while I am still able and my mum is still around. Sydney is not going anywhere and I will always regret not going even if it's just a year or so.

In my heart I know I should make the trip and not let the fear of the unknown stop me.

Go! I'm 61 now and considering going back for a while, and it's been a bit of a shock to discover that the window is closing on me. I will have to come back when I turn 65, otherwise I'll get no Australian pension! Then I'll be stuck in Australia for a year to qualify for the pension, and I don't know that I could afford to relocate again after that. I now wish I'd gone back earlier so I could have stayed a bit longer.

Edited by Marisawright

I'm in the same position, same age and circumstances, ie no kids, and I have decided to return home to be closer to mum and family, after 27 years! I'm too a little worried about work, but I'm sure something will turn up. It's taken me nearly two years to come to this decision, in the end I knew if I didn't do it I would regret it. Only another 5 weeks and I'll be home.....I'm looking forward it. Good luck with your decision and go with your heart.

I hope you've got citizenship ( I know you don't think you'll ever come back, but things have changed enormously in the UK while you've been away - and remember, your mum and dad won't be around forever). Also, look into paying some extra National Insurance contributions to bump up your future British pension. Unless you return to Oz when you reach pension age for at least a year, you won't be able to collect the Aussie pension.

I hope you've got citizenship ( I know you don't think you'll ever come back, but things have changed enormously in the UK while you've been away - and remember, your mum and dad won't be around forever). Also, look into paying some extra National Insurance contributions to bump up your future British pension. Unless you return to Oz when you reach pension age for at least a year, you won't be able to collect the Aussie pension.

And remeber the Aussie pension is means tested so if you or your OH have another income, you're likely to miss out

And remeber the Aussie pension is means tested so if you or your OH have another income, you're likely to miss out

The point is that if he's going back to the UK before age 65, he will definitely miss out on the Aussie pension. You can't claim the Aussie pension in the UK, you have to claim it personally in Australia. Then you have to stay in Australia for a full 12 months before going abroad again, otherwise they cancel it.

I too decided to go back ( am Irish so not technically a pom in Oz although my best mate is a pom and we always head to English pubs , hit the pale ales and watch the soccer).

I have been here 10 years now. Started on a working holiday visa and worked my up to citizenship, getting it May and leaving in June :) Ping Pong Paddy!

I have a good job and history here but last Christmas on holiday with my brother, who is based on London, I just decided I wanted to go back to Ireland/England.

Total emotional decision and felt the time was right.

I was with an Australian girl for 5 of the 10 years and was immersed in the Australian culture and "way" of doing things. So it's fair to say I was part of the Australian lifestyle.

I hope I'll look back with no regrets. The work life,expensive lifestyle and lack of holiday destinations is getting to me a lot. The way I see it If I get a job in Ireland( which I should eventually ), I can buy a house cheaply in area where all my family are based. That's the game changer for me!

I will be taking 2 sun holidays a year when I get back to Ireland though.

Hi there

I am in exactly the same position as yourself, never married, no kids, portable work skills and 50 years of age and recently made the decision to definitely head back next Summer 2015. Have lived in Melbourne almost 25 years, have a unit that I will also rent out and other than resigning from my job feel that I really am not giving up that much and I will return. The time is right. Have been debating for 4/5 years mainly due to wanting to spend time with my mum and extended family and great adult friends who I have always maintained contact with. Travel back every year so going with eyes wide open. It's a page or 2 out of my book of life and see it as a very exciting adventure. Really looking forward to it and already doing some groundwork in relation to bank accounts/driving/insurance etc I wish you all the best, only you can decide but Sydney/Melbourne and our friends here will still be here if/when we return. All the best

Go! I'm 61 now and considering going back for a while, and it's been a bit of a shock to discover that the window is closing on me. I will have to come back when I turn 65, otherwise I'll get no Australian pension! Then I'll be stuck in Australia for a year to qualify for the pension, and I don't know that I could afford to relocate again after that. I now wish I'd gone back earlier so I could have stayed a bit longer.

I seem to recall the need to be in OZ two years prior to claiming OAP. Rather shocked the other day to learn that the time of being in Australia appears to have been lifted from twenty five years to thirty five years to get the complete pension.

No way I can qualify if that is fact now. As the Australia/UK agreement was terminated back in 01 will that impact on getting an OZ pension?

I seem to recall the need to be in OZ two years prior to claiming OAP. Rather shocked the other day to learn that the time of being in Australia appears to have been lifted from twenty five years to thirty five years to get the complete pension.

No way I can qualify if that is fact now. As the Australia/UK agreement was terminated back in 01 will that impact on getting an OZ pension?

According to Centrelink you have to have been resident for ten years, although Age Pension is paid on a sliding scale I believe. Can you remember where you read/found out about this new rule?

You also need to have been an Australian resident for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or for a number of periods that total more than ten years, with one of the periods being at least five years, unless you:

• are a refugee or former refugee, or

• were getting Partner Allowance, Widow Allowance or Widow B Pension immediately before turning Age Pension age, or

• are a woman whose partner died while you were both Australian residents, and you have been an Australian resident for two years immediately before claiming Age Pension

It's only one year, and you can spend that year in Oz before OR after you claim (i.e. you can come back to Oz, start getting the pension the day you arrive but you must then stay for a year).

Yes, the time to to qualify has been lifted from 25 years to 35 - however you don't miss out altogether, it's just that you get pro rata (so if you've been here 25 years you get 25/35ths).

There was another thread claiming that hadn't been passed into law yet, and it certainly still says 25 years on some government sites. But then I came across someone who's back in the UK collecting a pro rata pension, and it seemed to be based on 35 years.

If the Australia/UK agreement was still in place then there would be no need for that one year residency - you'd be able to claim the pension by just filling in a form in the UK. That's how it works in several European countries which still have an agreement.

Edited by Marisawright

According to Centrelink you have to have been resident for ten years, although Age Pension is paid on a sliding scale I believe.

We're talking about two different rules here. The ten year rule determines whether you are eligible for the pension at all. The thirty five year rule determines how much of that pension you can claim, if you're living overseas.

If you're living in Australia and you've lived in Australia for ten years, you're eligible for the full pension.

If you're an Australian citizen but you're living overseas, you can only get the full pension if you lived in Australia for a total of 35 years between the ages of 16 and retirement age. If you don't meet that criteria, then you get pro rata (e.g. if you spent 25 years here then you get 25/35ths).

I think it was originally introduced because too many people were coming to Australia and staying for ten years simply to qualify for the pension. However 35 years seems a bit harsh to me.

Of course it's also worth remembering that the Australian pension is means-tested, so it will be further reduced depending on how many assets/what income you have.

Edited by Marisawright

We're talking about two different rules here. The ten year rule determines whether you are eligible for the pension at all. The thirty five year rule determines how much of that pension you can claim, if you're living overseas.

If you're living in Australia and you've lived in Australia for ten years, you're eligible for the full pension.

If you're an Australian citizen but you're living overseas, you can only get the full pension if you lived in Australia for a total of 35 years between the ages of 16 and retirement age. If you don't meet that criteria, then you get pro rata (e.g. if you spent 25 years here then you get 25/35ths).

I think it was originally introduced because too many people were coming to Australia and staying for ten years simply to qualify for the pension. However 35 years seems a bit harsh to me.

Of course it's also worth remembering that the Australian pension is means-tested, so it will be further reduced depending on how many assets/what income you have.

When I was young(er), I remember thinking retirement was a long way off and I'd worry about it when I got there. Thank goodness for private pensions as I am not going to be able to squeeze 35 years in at all - I may have managed 25 years, depending on which age I decided to retire! Hopefully, I won't need it anyway.

If you come back to the UK, don't forget that you may be eligible for universal credit (replacing pension credit I think?).

When I was young(er), I remember thinking retirement was a long way off and I'd worry about it when I got there. Thank goodness for private pensions as I am not going to be able to squeeze 35 years in at all - I may have managed 25 years, depending on which age I decided to retire! Hopefully, I won't need it anyway.

If you come back to the UK, don't forget that you may be eligible for universal credit (replacing pension credit I think?).

Remember it's not all or nothing - if you manage 20 years, you'll get 20/35ths. And it has nothing to do with when YOU decide to retire, it's whatever the legal retirement age is at the time.

The Aussie pension is higher than the UK pension too.

I have only 12 years' work history in the UK so I'd only get about fifty quid a week.

Remember it's not all or nothing - if you manage 20 years, you'll get 20/35ths. And it has nothing to do with when YOU decide to retire, it's whatever the legal retirement age is at the time.

The Aussie pension is higher than the UK pension too.

I have only 12 years' work history in the UK so I'd only get about fifty quid a week.

I'm pretty sure that there's a poverty scale thing where your income has to be above a certain amount. The State Pension is topped up by the Pension Credit benefit so you might eligible for that? It always amazes me when I see programmes like "Saints and Scroungers" and people get away with massive long term fraud of the system when most people I know aren't eligible for any form of benefits.

I'm pretty sure that there's a poverty scale thing where your income has to be above a certain amount. The State Pension is topped up by the Pension Credit benefit so you might eligible for that? It always amazes me when I see programmes like "Saints and Scroungers" and people get away with massive long term fraud of the system when most people I know aren't eligible for any form of benefits.

Well I'm sure if I was on the poverty line I'd get some kind of help but I'd rather not put myself in that position!

Edited by Marisawright

• 1 month later...

I have not posted for a while but I am still in Australia but have just put my Apartment up for rent after much indecision so the mortgage is covered - I have been looking for work in London and have had a very positive response from there - it seems its picked up a lot in London and its really busy in my line of work ( I think the rest of UK still suffering though ) .

I do continually question if its the best move for me, but really I am just treading water in Sydney and I am so bored and even if it doesn't work out in UK I think the change will do me good and give me a new appreciation of Sydney when I return.

I basically have work and accommodation to go to and I am not walking away from a job here as I work freelance - I have some old friends still in London - everything can just go into storage in Australia.

I will just travel light and see how it goes. I think its just the fear of a big move after so long - but really if I think about it - its not such a big deal, everything is still here and I really have nothing to lose. I have dual nationality so thats not a problem.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

I hope I don't talk myself out of it, because I think I will regret it deeply in years to come, especially around spending some time with my ageing mum while its still possible.

Anyway if I do get it together, I will report from London.

I am so looking forward to your insights when you do go back. Completely natural to feel the way you are at the moment as the time is getting closer. I am sure I will feel exactly the same but my focus is on my mum and family. Seeing it as an adventure. My life sounds parallel to yours. My mum is getting on and she wont be around forever. If I don't do it soon I will miss out on some quality time with her. Have been feeling unsettled for 5 years but now really looking forward to heading back next year. Getting my unit spruced up for rental early next year, will resign from work and just go with it. What really is the worse that can happen if you think about it? Coming back. You have a place to live and will always get work in Australia. Go for it. I love Australia and the life it has afforded me but my heart lies elsewhere and I need, like you, to return. Good luck mate and keep us posted :)