Need to Stop Paying my Credit Cards in the UK - Will I get away with it ?

Guest ScotinOz

In 1996 I had a house that I rented out to a young girl. To cut a very long story short she lived there for a year without paying rent. She owed me thousands. I managed to get judgement at the local court. She did a mindingt flip and I never saw her again despite trying. However, 10 years later I managed to find out where she lived. I obtained an áttachment to earnings'' plus interest. So this 12,00 that she owed me turned out to be 3 times as much. I did not feel guilty at all because she did this to me.

It took 10 years but I got all of my money back plus interest. So beware ..

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops there you go again AJ...When we leave we're leaving in a fast car with a big gun :biggrin:

yup here i go again - cant help adding to this thread cos its just annoyed me soo much - want to know why?

We had 10000 debt, not because we spent it all on flash cars and living beyond our means, we lived in Melbourne for 2 years and wanted to try Perth, for various reasons it did not work and we came home, flights, shipping etc soon added up to this amount. We dont even get any benefits over here as the Tax Credit people say they were basing it on 2010-2011 and my OH earned to much in Australia to qualify. Me being honest told them what he earned, and because of the exchange rate now it seems much more. What do they think we lived on in Oz? We have realised this was the wrong move and are trying to get back. Are we just going to do a runner - are we heck - far too honest. Right now I am living in our house(which we still have in UK) my OH is in Perth working 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week, doing without seeing me or our beautiful 2 year old daughter so we can pay this off and have money to move back. Thats the sacrifices some people make!!!!!

Would people who think it is ok to default on repayment of loans also think it ok to walk out of a supermarket without paying? Isn’t theft, theft, irrespective of the value of the item? Or does £10 of shopping, for example, somehow stack up differently to £1000,s worth of loans? I don't understand it to be honest, but maybe it really does come down to the values we are given as children.

Guest Shell15

I hope it all works out for you and your family, it must be very hard having feet in both countries and not being together as one, a massive sacrifice for you all!! If you ever do want to borrow our fast car with big gun your always welcome ;)

Its unfortunate but nice people dont get on in the world most biz men women i know who are successful are pretty ruthless and no scruples and made their money,

had no qualms about treading on peoples faces on the way up and dont worry about falling down til it happens

Its unfortunate but nice people dont get on in the world most biz men women i know who are successful are pretty ruthless and no scruples and made their money,

had no qualms about treading on peoples faces on the way up and dont worry about falling down til it happens

Sorry but that's a gross generalisation that in my experience is far from true.

In 1996 I had a house that I rented out to a young girl. To cut a very long story short she lived there for a year without paying rent. She owed me thousands. I managed to get judgement at the local court. She did a mindingt flip and I never saw her again despite trying. However, 10 years later I managed to find out where she lived. I obtained an áttachment to earnings'' plus interest. So this 12,00 that she owed me turned out to be 3 times as much. I did not feel guilty at all because she did this to me.

Under the Limitations Act 1980, a CCJ cannot be enforced after six years, nor can it be renewed. Unless you've got your dates wrong what you've posted just isn't true.

Guest The Pom Queen

The difference being you issued her with a CCJ.

A CCJ cannot be issued to an overseas resident.

This is my experience since being here......someone I know.....had a house in the UK that they sold to come here...but before they come....took out rather large loan, went on shopping spree to fill container with furniture and clothes/paid for visas/shipping and flights on credit cards.....none of which did they have any intention of paying pack! They now have their own house, nice big 4 wheel drive and another very nice car....swimming pool been away several since being here (they haven't been here 3 years yet!)

Now I am not jealous of them just really P1**ed off that that are taking the P1** out of everyone like us that sold our houses with very little equity and came with little and still trapped in rental!!! But I do believe Karma comes to those that take the p1**.....maybe with a little help that the bank WILL find out where they live!!!!

You'll be committing yourselves irrevocably to Aus if you do that to all intents. Which is a bit of a gamble given your wife's ambivalence. You need to be a bit careful regarding statutes of limitations (in particular make sure you aren't researching US sites where the law is much more clear cut). In the UK a creditor has a period within which they can seek a court order to recover a debt, and then there is another period after obtaining judgement during which they can seek to enforce. You can't just assume if you stop paying, after 6 years you're free and clear and can't be chased (still less so clear of credit blacklisting)

Yes, this. That old 'After 6 years I'll be free & clear' is a complete fallacy, just ask anyone with a CCJ against their name; they'll tell you it's really not that simple & if you find that you do need / want to come back to the UK you best be sure that you've got an awful lot of savings because credit will be nigh on impossible to come by. Have a nosy through the money saving expert boards if you want an insight into how people actually go on with these kinds of black marks on their credit files.

Guest The Pom Queen
This is my experience since being here......someone I know.....had a house in the UK that they sold to come here...but before they come....took out rather large loan, went on shopping spree to fill container with furniture and clothes/paid for visas/shipping and flights on credit cards.....none of which did they have any intention of paying pack! They now have their own house, nice big 4 wheel drive and another very nice car....swimming pool been away several since being here (they haven't been here 3 years yet!)

Now I am not jealous of them just really P1**ed off that that are taking the P1** out of everyone like us that sold our houses with very little equity and came with little and still trapped in rental!!! But I do believe Karma comes to those that take the p1**.....maybe with a little help that the bank WILL find out where they live!!!!

Sue that is classed as fraud and they could be jailed for that, plus if they are on a temp visa they could have it taken away.

the majority of people would agree with you there but perhaps not want to admit to it!! A very honest statement however controversial it may be..

I think that is absolute rubbish, i dont think their are many people at all that could sleep easily knowing that they are on the run from credit card companies and debt collectors gpo1971 may be one of the few and maybe he/she thinks its ok to steal money but i think the very vast majority are not like that and to say they are is maybe just trying to justify stealing in the first place. Again just my opinion.

Edited by Andy

Ive been on this site for nearly 4 years and this has been mentioned queried goodness knows how many times with the same results. I find it hard to beleive that you would bother asking this question when a simple search would be able to answer your question. We all know that debt incurred in the UK does not become enforciable unless its a Government Debt or Fraud. Subject done and dusted. I always smell are rat because someone wants to start a fight because this subject is so emotive. My story...well we sold the house lost £30,000 because the market was so bad. What we got in Equity we paid off everything and then came out here with a very small amount. My reward for being honest? Apart from our new mortgage, for our new house, we have no debts whatsover ever anywhere in the world....cant tell you how liberating that is, no debts nothing no credit cards nothing bliss:biggrin:

Guest liverpoolollie

i appreciate what you are saying people do take the pi**,but that is their choice ,if they want to live in that fashion and can live with the guilt ,then that is their perogative .

a lot of what people get away with gets people envious .its like the benefit fraud adverts in the uk,they are encouraging us to shop a scrounger and a lot of people do ,just to get one over on someone.

my opinion is,if somebody rips off a credit card company ,it gets passed down to the honest people ,and that is not fair .until it is made a criminal offence then people will still do it.

Ok guys - might start a big debate here I'm sure !

Here's our situation

• We've been in oZ for 2 years with my wife and family of 3

• Expect to get PR in the next few months.

• Looks like we will be staying and not going back to the UK for at least 5/6 years (if at all) as my kids finish their education. ( I want to stay ... wife mixed atm)

• Since leaving we have been paying minimum payments to our Credit card Debts (GBP 30k)

• We've kept up with payments (just) but have added to the debt whilst over here by paying for School Fees whilst on a 457 for the 1st 2 years

• We now have 4 UK Cards with almost GBP 40k

• We own a house in England with about 60k GBP Equity and we don't want to sell and want to keep the house as an investment.

Going to be honest here

Would like to simply stop paying the debt as I understand it will be written off in 5 years and the card companies can't touch us over here.

Question is can they make us sell our house ? Bearing in mind the individual debt is quite small with each card co - eg < GBP 40k.

I know it's wrong / stealing etc etc but I have no concious to the global banking industry TBH.

Would love peoples views !!

Scot

just glad you dont owe me money & if you do go ahead with this disgusting plan I hope they take the house from you to pay for it so think carefully.

as i understand it you can make a deal with a creditor whereby they will freeze any intrest and allow you to just pay back the capital of a loan. your credit history will be marked, but i guess you may sleep a little better knowing you're not being chased.

temptation says rip them off. but i have an inherent dislike of banks since halifax charged me £500 for a £27 overdraft that only lasted 4 days, and refused to be reasonable about it. however, i intend to be on an even keel when we migrate. i will just be sure never to give them my business in the future.

even with this though, personally id pay. but to me, with what i do. a clean credit sheet is essential.

decisions decisions eh.

the thing is, your finances are between you and your bank, you can do what you please, and if you keep it quiet you can still hold your head high with the herd.

I think there is a big difference between a 500 charge and someone stealing 40000! Why would you encourage someone to steal, because this it what they are intending doing - it is intentional, they fully know it is stealing, especially the last 10000, it does not cost 10000 for school fees, they spent the money, took all the benefits. Yes maybe the banks offer you money easy but no one twists your arm up your back to take it.

Guest Shell15
I think that is absolute rubbish, i dont think their is many people at all that could sleep easily knowing that they are on the run from credit card companies and debt collectors gpo1971 may be one of the few and maybe he/she thinks its ok to steal money but i think the very vast majority are not like that and to say they are is maybe just trying to justify stealing in the first place. Again just my opinion.

Thank you for sharing that Andy, your opinion has been noted...