Need to Stop Paying my Credit Cards in the UK - Will I get away with it ?

Guest ScotinOz

I do think that unfortunately folk in the UK are of the opinion that they are owed something, and in fact they may have a point. I for one am an Oz but have lived here for far too long - hence my return; however I too have taken the same attitude. The banks (not all ) are more than half owned by the taxpayer; too make a living over here and earn a few bucks is almost impossible. While we work hard to feed our families and struggle by, we have to sit by and watch MP's and the like scoffing hundreds of pounds of fine wine and champagne in a 'pub' that is 'subsidised by the tax payer'. That is just naming one of the many things we have to fork out our hard earned money on. For those who think its people like OP causing the UK debt, it may play a small part, but I would take a good long look at the greedy politicians and the like who have our cash readily available to spend spend spend whenever they feel like it!! and that they do!! The government has alot to answer for.. Its them who annoy me more, Rant over!

Surly it is all about personal responsibility, just because the banks have made a mess of things over the last few years does not mean that we can all go around racking up massive debts without a thought about how we are going to pay it back or more worryingly in some peoples cases running off and letting others deal with it, if we all done that then the country would be proper screwed.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest36187

At the end of the day it's down to someone's morals isn't it. Personally I could not do what the OP is considering.

If someone has no morals or scruples......nothing anyone says here will change that!

This is just my opinion.

Guest Shell15
Surly it is all about personal responsibility, just because the banks have made a mess of things over the last few years does not mean that we can all go around racking up massive debts without a thought about how we are going to pay it back or more worryingly in some peoples cases running off and letting others deal with it, if we all done that then the country would be proper screwed.

Merely stating we do not have very good examples being set by a government who thinks they can do as they wish with our hard earned cash. WE work hard and then have to sit by and watch them live the life of Riley with our money. I don't see any of them 'going without' for the sake of 'not being able to afford it'!!

Merely stating we do not have very good examples being set by a government who thinks they can do as they wish with our hard earned cash. WE work hard and then have to sit by and watch them live the life of Riley with our money. I don't see any of them 'going without' for the sake of 'not being able to afford it'!!

How do you mean lead the life of riley with our money? I know you have mentioned a subsidised bar in the commons which is not on really but what else do you mean?

Guest Shell15
How do you mean lead the life of riley with our money? I know you have mentioned a subsidised bar in the commons which is not on really but what else do you mean?

Im not looking for a debate with you Andy, the above is 'In my opinion'..Whether you agree with it or not its up to you, but a forum is for freedom of speech hence why I enjoy giving my opinion for anyone who is interested in listening.

That is so not the point here! Whatever you think of the government it does not make it right to STEAL and that is what this is all about. Are you for real!!!!

Or maybe planning on doing the same thing and trying to justify it to yourself!

Edited by AJ

Guest Shell15
That is so not the point here! Whatever you think of the government it does not make it right to STEAL and that is what this is all about. Are you for real!!!!

Or maybe planning on doing the same thing and trying to justify it to yourself!

lets not make it personnel, its a discussion forum..hence why folk are able to give there 'personnel opinions'

Guest liverpoolollie
For the record, I wasn't insinuating that Scot, or anyone in a similar position is a criminal, and certainly not a 'master criminal'. (A criminal mastermind is hardly likely to need to ask advice about how to avoid any unpleasant consequences of committing their crime of choice.) As for the moral aspects, there may well be aspects to this story that none of us are privvy to, so anyone can only comment on the information that has been made available. And I understand that Scot may not wish to post the full story on the internet.

In my view, we should all be very careful how much personal debt we take on, especially if it involves credit cards, because it can mean that we end up paying several times more for the things we buy than they were ever worth; and with the added risk that if we lose our job or become ill, or have some other emergency, we end up in a horrid situation which is stressful and difficult to resolve.

I hope I didn't come across as judgmental, I'm intelligent enough to understand that most people don't set out to borrow more money than they could ever repay; but I'm also sensible enough to see that some people find the lure of more 'stuff' too enticing to pass up. I do think that lenders should be more responsible, but I think that consumers also need to see beyond the 'want' and examine how to obtain what they're after for no more than it's worth, and if it's not possible to do so, consider whether it's really vital.

haha littlesarah.

i was just trying to bring a little lightheatedness to the thread:biggrin:.

the op asked for opinions and thats what he got.

Guest The Pom Queen

All I can say is that I DO know who this person is, I DO know they are/ have lived/living in a big house with pool here at $900 per week.

To me it's not a case of the op being in a real mess money wise, I've seen people on the verge of suicide because they have a debt and can't pay, people like this I can understand doing a runner, but someone who has 60,000 gbp sat in the UK and refuses to pay their 40k debt off, well.... :no:

Guest liverpoolollie

i think this thread will be debated to death tbf.

crime is down to personal choice ,most of us do not want to commit it ,and most of us would not be able to sleep at night if they did.(and yes.this is coming from a scouser ,:wink:just getting that one in before anyone else does).scotinoz has laid it on the line for everyone to have their opinion on it ,and he knew he would get an adverse reaction ,but fair play to him for that.

i don,t think people need to get into arguments over it ,it just starts to go off topic then.

at the end of the day ..........its midnight.:wink:

Guest liverpoolollie
Scruples and morals .......that's at the bottom of everything!

i agree joanne ,and as long as you have yours and you teach your kids the same ,then you are making the world a better place.

my opinion is sell the house use the equity to pay off debts and be debt free. The only way we can over to Oz is by selling our house, paying off loans and credit cards etc and then living as cheaply as poss in Oz!!

I can't even imagine getting into that sort of debt but I would rather have it cleared by selling my house!

just to ask similar advice, I own my house in uk still as no chance of selling I have no debt other than mortgage which is covered by rent, found out my partner has accrued debts of up to 5k on cards etc, :mad:

used my surname and her own and the letters are sent to my address inc bailiff threats. Where do i stand on this, the property is mine, soley in my name.

Guest liverpoolollie
All I can say is that I DO know who this person is, I DO know they are/ have lived/living in a big house with pool here at $900 per week.

To me it's not a case of the op being in a real mess money wise, I've seen people on the verge of suicide because they have a debt and can't pay, people like this I can understand doing a runner, but someone who has 60,000 gbp sat in the UK and refuses to pay their 40k debt off, well.... :no:

bang on m2m .this is what proves that is down to personal circumstances.

i have a mate who lost everything his house ,joinery business his marriage got into touble (thankfully they rode it out ),and you know what?he is still trying to pay people back.

Guest The Pom Queen
just to ask similar advice, I own my house in uk still as no chance of selling I have no debt other than mortgage which is covered by rent, found out my partner has accrued debts of up to 5k on cards etc, :mad:

used my surname and her own and the letters are sent to my address inc bailiff threats. Where do i stand on this, the property is mine, soley in my name.

This may answer your questions.

A lot of people worry about the impact that their partner’s debts can have on their own finances. It’s a sad fact of life that many individuals with debt problems often hide the true extent of their situation from those closest to them, often only admitting how bad their debts are when they are in severe difficulties. Many people worry in this kind of situation that they will also be held liable for these debts, whether they are married, living together or in a civil partnership.

The fact is that you are only liable for debts if they are in your name. The only exception here is council tax and some household bills where you may be held liable for payment if you lived in a property for a period of time where debts were incurred even if the bill wasn’t in your name. But, in general terms you are only liable for debts that are:

• In your name

• Held jointly in your name and that of another individual or group of people.

If the debts are not listed in your name then they are not viewed as being your debts. But, do be aware that joint credit agreements give you equal and joint liability and creditors can chase one party to recover the overall debt if another one refuses to pay or cannot be contacted. Their main aim is to get one of you to take responsibility.

So, for example, if you are married and take out a joint mortgage with your husband who then runs off with another woman and goes to live in Spain then you are liable for the debt you both signed up to. Or if you have a joint current bank account and your wife runs up your overdraft without your knowledge then you are just as liable for the debt as she is.

This kind of situation can cause a lot of hassle for some people. Our earlier example showed a wife whose husband had left the country to start a new life leaving her with the mortgage. In this instance her mortgage lender may decide not to chase the husband for the debts owed here as he is out of the country and they would be well within their rights to solely pursue the wife for full repayment.

Other problems that can arise occur when someone with debts moves from their address to a new one without notifying their creditors. They may then send letters, make phone calls or even send debt collectors or bailiffs round to try and get their money back. This can be quite scary for the person they turn to, even if the debts are not in their name.

If this were to happen to you then it is important to remember that you are not at fault here and you are not liable for the money owed. Debt collectors who hassle innocent people caught up in a debt problem can be reported to your local Trading Standards office. In this scenario your best move is to tell any companies chasing debts that they are not in your name. Do not let debt collectors or bailiffs into your home.

And, if possible give them the current address of the person with the debts. You can send them a letter stating that your name is not on any of the debts to do this and to give them formal notification of the forwarding address of the individual that they are actually chasing. They will then stop focusing on you and turn their attentions to the real source of the problem.

If a former partner has had problems with debts in the past then you should also contact credit reference agencies and make sure that their name is no longer linked to yours on your credit record. If it is then you can ask to have the name removed via a Notice Of Disassociation. Bear in mind that you can only do this is you have severed all financial ties with your partner.

just to ask similar advice, I own my house in uk still as no chance of selling I have no debt other than mortgage which is covered by rent, found out my partner has accrued debts of up to 5k on cards etc, :mad:used my surname and her own and the letters are sent to my address inc bailiff threats. Where do i stand on this, the property is mine, soley in my name.
Unsecured debt doesn't mean baliffs can come to your house and take anything (or indeed the house) unless ordered by a court (despite the letters making out as such) and this process is quite pricey for the CC company concerned especially for just £5k.Your mortgage company has the rights to the house first before any unsecured creditors and I doubt they'd leave anything for them if it came to the crunch.Are you still with this partner and is she with you in Oz ? If this is the case then I wouldn't worry too much......................

Guest liverpoolollie

kick her out and blow her up,,,,,,unless,,,,,she spent any of it on you:wideeyed:

I think it's very easy for some people to come over and start living beyond their means in Aus, they get caught up in having to have the big house/pool and 2 top of the range cars ... I've always tried to live within my means, If I can't afford it I have to save for it.

I think it's very easy for some people to come over and start living beyond their means in Aus, they get caught up in having to have the big house/pool and 2 top of the range cars ... I've always tried to live within my means, If I can't afford it I have to save for it.

This is spot on and perfectly describes heaps of poms I know. They give up a 2up 2down in the UK and Ford Fiesta, move to Oz, buy a mansion near the ocean and a new Lexus 4x4 then moan that it's expensive over here.

Yeah right.

Guest Shell15

the majority of people would agree with you there but perhaps not want to admit to it!! A very honest statement however controversial it may be..