Need to Stop Paying my Credit Cards in the UK - Will I get away with it ?

Guest ScotinOz

aj, you really cant say that everyone who would leave debt behind are greedy! im not a greedy person me and my oh work for everything weve got but at the end of the day if i had a 1k credit card debt and i was paying £50 a month off that debt in the uk, and i was emigrating to oz and there was no way of bieng held responsible for that debt then i wouldnt think twice about leaving it behind

i would be £50 a month better off! with no repercussions its a no brainer in my opinion!

dawn x

And i'll add that that £1K is probably going to include fair bit of interest accrued over the months.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dawn - i didnt say that for one minute. That is not what happened here - there is a big difference between 400000 and 1000 and adding to it having no intention to pay it back. you can quite easily make payments from Oz to UK. How can someone who is earning run up a debt that size if they were not being greedy and spending money they could not afford?

This post has ended up on twice - sorry

aj, you really cant say that everyone who would leave debt behind are greedy! im not a greedy person me and my oh work for everything weve got but at the end of the day if i had a 1k credit card debt and i was paying £50 a month off that debt in the uk, and i was emigrating to oz and there was no way of bieng held responsible for that debt then i wouldnt think twice about leaving it behind

i would be £50 a month better off! with no repercussions its a no brainer in my opinion!

dawn x

Edited by AJ

i see what youre saying but they wouldnt know i was leaving debt behind until id left! and i would allready have my visa!

my point was, i would if there were no repercussions to it, call me what you like but i bet there are tons of people reading this thread agreeing with me

I am not calling you anything i am simply saying that theoretically if the immigration knew that you were dishonest ( and i am not saying you are ) then you would probably not get a visa, but anyway it is maybe getting of the issue, i still think the op is wrong in every way.

Dawn - i didnt say that for one minute. That is not what happened here - there is a big difference between 40000 and 1000 and adding to it having no intention to pay it back. you can quite easily make payments from Oz to UK. How can someone who is earning run up a debt that size if they were not being greedy and spending money they could not afford?

dawn x

Ok, maybe not 'most people' but I still think that ALOT of people get caught up in this lifestyle. every day we are bombarded by advertisements, offers for credit, shiny ne things. iPods, iPhones, contracts and other things, advertising is a big business and I think it does play a huge part in sucking ppl into debt. Advertisements/marketing agencies are doing their best to get your (hard earned) cash and if it isnt "hard earned" its gonna be on credit.

Im pretty sure that you've been a 'victim' of this, some others just go a little crayzzeee with it.....

If you havent, then...well....i wanna say 'good for you' but I dont want it to come cross as sarcastic or anything.

I definately havent, i dont have an Iphone, dont have Sky, my car cost 3500, i have a 2 bed semi - we dont all have to have everything!

I definately havent, i dont have an Iphone, dont have Sky, my car cost 3500, i have a 2 bed semi - we dont all have to have everything!

Well, I guess thats why im in debt and you're not then :)

I managed to rack up a £7k debt doing this (wanting all the latest gadgets, wearing all the latest gear, louis vuitton handbags etc), and thankfully im nearly debt free, just a couple of credit cards to go!

I swear, when you go the long haul, take responsibility and pay off the debts, you NEVER want to see a credit card again.

Guest truebeliver

oooooops sorry aj, i must of misunderstood! i agree with everything youve said above, as i said earlier i dont know how he can sleep at night with that ammount of debt

however im not as offended as other people that he has asked these questions, im not questioning his morals but its the ammount of the debt that i cant relate to as i cant understand how hes let it get that bad

no worries andy :)

I'm not shocked to read all of this dishonesty of people who would happily rack up debt then run, it just reflects on the morals to what they have been brought up with and unfortunately, this will more than likely rub off on their own children. A very sad upbringing, I feel sorry for them that they are not brought up with decent morals and honesty.

What is ironic though, is how people say they want to leave the UK due to crime and financial problems over here..... bet those people never would believe that the dishonest folk who give the UK a bad name, are actually spreading their wings and could be moving next door to you in Aus! Be careful who you befriend! I would not trust someone who does this!

Can you imagine if a 'Foreigner' did this in the UK? Geeee, I am sure the original poster and those agreeing with him would be up in flames about it!

Guest liverpoolollie
I just do not understand it! I have not read through all the pages of this thread, and I am unsure if the OP is even still reading, BUT I really didn't realise that some people were just that dishonest, well yeah of course I did, but...... I am actually speechless!

I have no debt whatsoever, me and my family live in rented accomodation here in the UK and will in Aus, we scrape together the money each month to survive and we KNOW that will be the same in Aus. But we SAVE for what we want in life and don't get it till we can buy it with our own money, that means going without a lot of the time, but we have NO DEBT! and this is what we are teaching our children. It really is no wonder the economy is so messed up with people just borrowing such large amounts, refusing to pay it back and even having the cheek to say its only a small amount.

I have been feeling bad because I was wondering if I could maybe get away with missing a month or two water payments!

Maybe I am old fashioned to think you need to have money before you buy something, but at 34 with no debts I am feeling rather happy! Or maybe I am just not greedy!

thats a lot to say considering you are speechless:wink:.but then again you did write it not speak it.

Guest liverpoolollie

scotinoz ,i can inform you ,is watching this thread and he told me to let you all know that he went down the bank today and paid off the 40k.

he had it in his back pocket all this time and he just wanted to see what peoples reactions would be:rolleyes:.

so there you all have it ,,,,,its been paid :wink:

Guest ScotinOz

Great debate folks !

I get the emotion and the focus on me being morally unfit... I really do but no need to get personal ! I did expect a spectrum of views and it's really interesting that the posters are the one's on the moral high horse. Many more have PM'd me with advice and guidance as they've done the same thing or have been in a similar position.

The most logical post yet in my view has been HMSMARK. This is how I see it .... no emotions ... no morals .... simply a strategic decision to ensure my family are not impacted and we stay in the best possible financial position.

Let the debate continue !

Scot

Guest liverpoolollie
Great debate folks !

I get the emotion and the focus on me being morally unfit... I really do but no need to get personal ! I did expect a spectrum of views and it's really interesting that the posters are the one's on the moral high horse. Many more have PM'd me with advice and guidance as they've done the same thing or have been in a similar position.

The most logical post yet in my view has been HMSMARK. This is how I see it .... no emotions ... no morals .... simply a strategic decision to ensure my family are not impacted and we stay in the best possible financial position.

Scot

haha i think you are actually enjoying this scot.

look what you have created:notworthy:

Great debate folks !

Scot

Well whatever you decide to do, i hope it turns out for the best, I wish you and your family no harm just hope you make the right decision

Great debate folks !

Scot

You say you want to ensure your family isn't impacted, I assume then that you have no family members back in the UK. Any unpaid debt will simply be passed on by the banks indirectly to it's customers, some of whom I'm sure are family members of a lot of people on this forum.

No moral high horse needed, just morals full stop.

Guest liverpoolollie

i think a lot of the posts on here display.....morality , jealousy,envy ,even anger ,but one thing is for certain,,the lad does not intend to pay it back ,he just wanted people to say it was ok and he wanted to know how to get away with it.

its up to him,,,we are not judge and jury.

sorry if that offends ,but you have to admit that is how it lies.

No, the GFC was created by banks giving credit away. I live in the US. I have seen first hand what banks did to engineer the crisis. They gave $300,000 mortgages to people making $20k per year. This is not an exaggeration! So, of course these people couldn't make the payments, and boom, foreclosure crisis which imploded the world economy.

Unless the OP makes a half-million a year, he probably shouldn't have been given the opportunity to end up 40k in debt. However, banks around the world have continued to offer credit like it is free money.

Now, many of you have taken this opportunity to chastise the OP. You called him a thief, a liar, you accused him of crimes without grounds (defaulting on debt is never considered theft and given the facts in this case, it is not fraud). You have that right.

However, he was looking for advice in regards to protecting his assets and eliminating his debt. Businesses and wealthy people do this all the time, and I think individuals of modest means should be able to seek the same protections, such as bankruptcy, moving assets overseas, etc. Most of the world's major banks have branches/affiliates in the Grand Caymans for a reason! And, I'll give you a hint, it is not for the weather and sandy beaches. It's for the corporations and the wealthy people who own/run the corporations to hide money. You think rich people have Swiss bank accounts because they like getting bank statements in 4 languages? Nope...

He should talk to a lawyer and do what is best for him, not for the banks.

I have never called him a thief, as I have said, I know if its not fraud and its not Government Debt its his choice but to say its the banks fault in America for lending more money than people can afford is ridiculous. If the couples who "They gave $300,000 mortgages to people making $20k " had no brain or were children you could understand but as adults we all know whether we can afford it or not! Some poor people end up in debt through no fault of their own, illness divorce or losing their jobs, but borrowing for a mortgage they just cant afford, that is just plane greed pure and simple. I want a jetski and a boat and lots of Jimmy Choos in my wardrobe oh I know I will just go and get a credit card and buy them, I wont bother saving up because I might just not bother paying back that credit card as its will be a business decision!!! Greed that outweighs any common sense and that is what caused the GFC people borrowing what they could not afford and the rest of the world is now suffering from the stupid idiotic greed, by banks companies and individuals with the attitude that this is a business decision! Oh and banks dont just GIVE credit away, in my experience you have to actually apply for it??? or agree to an increase???

Edited by Que Sera, Sera