A Million or a Visa???

Candygirl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very interesting thread, i read it this morning and have been thinking about it today, initially i thought yep the money would be great but then i was thinking maybe money is not the be all and end all and of course it is not. Money can do very strange things to people and can literally change the whole personality of a person, i have seen first hand how a large amount of money being passed down the line can rip a family apart through shear greed and to be honest it is very unpleasant, so my answer would be the visa for all of my family and the chance to live in the great country that is Australia.

Million, hands down.

There are many beautiful places on this planet, australia doesn't have the monopoly on that, nor does it have the monopoly on hapiness.

A million would mean you could settle wherever you want, and not have to worry too much about the economic issues of that country, since you'd be able to ride them out. It wouldn't mean instant retirement, but it would mean peace of mind.

Do you really think that a million would "set you up for life"? It's not a great deal of money nowadays...................it could make you more "comfortable" but I doubt that it would solve or ease the "discomfort" of those reasons that many folk claim to want to leave the UK for. If I was awaiting a visa, then I'd have a very good think about it, but if I was already here, I wouldn't give up what I have now for a million, even if only by way of thanking Australia for the opportunities that it has given us.

Do you really think that a million would "set you up for life"? It's not a great deal of money nowadays...................it could make you more "comfortable" but I doubt that it would solve or ease the "discomfort" of those reasons that many folk claim to want to leave the UK for. If I was awaiting a visa, then I'd have a very good think about it, but if I was already here, I wouldn't give up what I have now for a million, even if only by way of thanking Australia for the opportunities that it has given us.

It wouldn't set you up for life, but it would get you a mortgage free lifestyle, with money to spare, which would be enough to tide you over being out of work for a good few years if the economy of the country you're living in went south.

Not paying ridiculous amounts of interest on a mortgage also means that money goes into savings, so you'll be building up a retirement fund significantly faster than you would otherwise.

To someone who's already paid off their mortgage etc, then no, it won't make a huge difference, but to someone like me, who's just starting out, it makes a huge difference to the total amount of money available during my lifetime.

See what yer saying mate,but a lot depends on age doesn't it? a million would certainly see me see my days out in comfort,i've lived a pretty debauched life as regards lifestyle,drinking,smoking various "things" as well as bifters,so i will be extremely lucky to live to an old age,hope i'm wrong(touchwood)but cant see it meself,i dont even risk buying unripened banana's anymore:wideeyed:

So 300 thou would easy get a place for me and the ferret,more than enough,lets look on the bright side and say 20 yrs left,thats 35k a year to live on(i think!),and thats without investing/interest etc.

So no,i'll take the mill,launch me trowel,and plot up on me balcony with me herbs and scotch and contemplate the ocean thanks:wubclub::wink:

I'd have to take the money.

it would mean an awful lot to have the mortgage paid and still have some left over to invest

While I really love the thought of getting out of Ireland and over to Oz we've got 2 small children and another on the way............... blast those offspring for making you think more practically!!!!!!

I would take the Visa everyday of the week. Being mortgage free aint that big of a deal and we want to move for the lifestyle OZ has to offer so even with all that money it couldnt buy us what we are really after.

Being mortgage free is a bit of a big deal when your house is in negative equity, so you can't sell it and the rental income doesn't cover the mortgage repayments.

Would love to be able to to say that the lifestyle outweighs it, but the children need a roof over their heads and food to eat and some stability.

I don't mean to sound really bitchy and bitter as this seems to read sorry! If we could sell our house anywhere near what we bought it for and still have some shortfall I would say Oz all day but it's gone so bad here in Ireland that we bought 3.5 years ago and our house is worth approx half what we paid

Again sorry if I sound bitter I'm really not and I'm looking forward to getting to Oz and getting back to work and seeing my DH happy cause he has regular work, cause that's the way it's gonna go I keep doing the lotto but so far no joy!..........Although if I win the lotto I'm still going to Oz as long as this little dilemma isn't in the fine print somewhere!

See what yer saying mate,but a lot depends on age doesn't it? a million would certainly see me see my days out in comfort,i've lived a pretty debauched life as regards lifestyle,drinking,smoking various "things" as well as bifters,so i will be extremely lucky to live to an old age,hope i'm wrong(touchwood)but cant see it meself,i dont even risk buying unripened banana's anymore:wideeyed:

So 300 thou would easy get a place for me and the ferret,more than enough,lets look on the bright side and say 20 yrs left,thats 35k a year to live on(i think!),and thats without investing/interest etc.

So no,i'll take the mill,launch me trowel,and plot up on me balcony with me herbs and scotch and contemplate the ocean thanks:wubclub::wink:

I get what yer sayin' Pabs. I suppose that I'm getting a bit complacent since I paid the mortgage off. We've only ever had one income since coming here and now a big slice of it isn't going into the mortgage, it's going into the wife's superann so cash wise, we're no better off other than it sittin' in a pension fund. It's nice to know that we don't have to make those payments though. Jake will never be independant (we don't think) so the future is more important to us, and really, I should think harder about that mill.............I could pop me clogs knowing that Jake was well provided for if we had it. The strange thing is, our lifestyle hasn't changed, even without a mortgage................money has never meant that much despite our struggles earlier on. I still shop wisely, got rid of the boats(s) partially because I felt that I was squandering money on insurance/maintenance etc. As long aas my steak is tender, I can down a few stubbies and roll me own, I'm happy. What I'm sayin' I guess, is that mill would make no difference, other than provide security for the lad..............my life wouldn't change other than me not having to worry so much about his future.

Being mortgage free is a bit of a big deal when your house is in negative equity, so you can't sell it and the rental income doesn't cover the mortgage repayments.

Would love to be able to to say that the lifestyle outweighs it, but the children need a roof over their heads and food to eat and some stability.

I don't mean to sound really bitchy and bitter as this seems to read sorry! If we could sell our house anywhere near what we bought it for and still have some shortfall I would say Oz all day but it's gone so bad here in Ireland that we bought 3.5 years ago and our house is worth approx half what we paid

Again sorry if I sound bitter I'm really not and I'm looking forward to getting to Oz and getting back to work and seeing my DH happy cause he has regular work, cause that's the way it's gonna go I keep doing the lotto but so far no joy!..........Although if I win the lotto I'm still going to Oz as long as this little dilemma isn't in the fine print somewhere!

I really feel for ya mate, and no, you don't sound bitchy. it's a fact that so many have been caught out by the downturn and I count myself lucky that I'm not one of them. I really feel sorry for those wnating to make the move who have not only got a crap exchange rate against 'em, but crap house prices in the UK and silly inflated ones here.

I knew this would get people thinking. We were asked the same thing and really had to think about it.

I think this thread just goes to show much emphasis we put on money. Of course, we cannot live without it.

I would take the Visa every time as long as it guaranteed that we would be happy. I know people who have money and it does not make them any happier. The more money you have, the more you want and it is never enough.

God job this question isn't on the visa application - LOL.

The more money you have, the more you want and it is never enough.

I disagree...............like I said in my response to Pablo.................It's made little difference to our lives other than comforting us that my son's future is more secure. I'm happy (well, not happy, but resigned to) with what I've got and have never wished for anything more. More money could've bought a bigger boat and I would then have had more worry about the cost to me if I damaged it. Of course, if I had heaps of loot, the cost shouldn't worry me, but it still would because I have gone through life being thrifty and know nothing less. Factoring in money (into your life) makes you worry about money and perhaps crave more. I've never factored it into my life and if I'm honest, you could give me more, and more, and more, and I still wouldn't think that I'm better off.................I sometimes wonder if I'm manic depressive and nothing would make me happy(ier)..................including heaps of cash.

I'm just content to put food on the table and to pay the leccy bill and I can do that now without wishing for more loot.

I would take the Visa every time as long as it guaranteed that we would be happy.

It doesn't though, does it? You only have to look at MBTTUK to see that.There are no guarantees that a visa would make your life better

Hence why I said a million. You can be more definite about the effect it will have

I know people who have money and it does not make them any happier

Oh, for sure. Having lots of money is no guarantee of happiness. OTOH, having none of it is pretty much a guarantee of being miserable. Forget about romantic notions of poor but honest and proud people looking after each other. I grew up dirt poor and I can assure you, it absolutely sucked.

I know where Johndoe is coming from, I've paid off a couple of mortgages in my time and it doesn't change your life. But it does take some of the pressure off. Also the question obviously has a different flavour for him as having the visa a long time ago has obviously changed his family's life for the better

Archived