What have you done today to get yourself to OZ?

thewebweazel

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finishing off packing this morning - and final goodbyes to my dad, then mum and sisters before we finally head to heathrow this afternoon.

Very weird feeling this morning.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U12 using Tapatalk

wow how exciting @benthomas010 !! I hope the goodbyes aren't too hard, best of luck with the move and look forward to your updates from the other side :)

Yes thank you, we are doing OK. 6 months already, I don't know where the time went. I will do a proper update soon but I will say it's a bit of a roller coaster ride. Christmas without you loved ones is hard but the next minute you're standing on a beautiful beach or driving into the mountains for a picnic and you just think wow.

Tomorrow we are going out with some good friends for Easter brunch, then back to their place to watch a movie and have a few beers. It is so important to make an effort with friends because they kind of become your family. We have a mixture of both Ausie and British friends here and there is a lovely couple who live about 10 minutes walk from our house who we have met through PIO. They fed our cat while we were away for a few days (if you're reading this, you know who you are, thank you).

Anyway, good luck, I will look forward to hearing about your adventures, it's a brave thing you are doing but if all goes to plan it will be so worth it. XXX

Thank you :wubclub: I cant wait to get over there and start the next chapter.

6 months? Wow that has flown by. It is bound to be an emotional time especially over periods like christmas, but it sounds like you are doing really well over there, I am so pleased for you and can't wait to read your full update. And like you say things like making new friends is so important and helps with the settling in. This forum is god send for being able to find and talk to like minded people who understand what you are going through. Xx

I feel nervous/excited just reading these updates about people actually leaving the UK!!

It is still early days for us. I have done my PTE exam and got the required 20 points, and I am now gathering my information for the skills assessment.

I am also wondering how to discuss this with parents and other family here?? Any ideas!!

• 2 weeks later...
I feel nervous/excited just reading these updates about people actually leaving the UK!!

It is still early days for us. I have done my PTE exam and got the required 20 points, and I am now gathering my information for the skills assessment.

I am also wondering how to discuss this with parents and other family here?? Any ideas!!

Tricky one that. My mum took it terribly even though it had been on the cards for years.

Just be upfront about it, and if they take it badly be considerate and don't keep on about it.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U12 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have just got back from a 3 week trip from Aus and now the madness begins. I have just booked my ILETS test and I am starting to do my AHPRA paper work. My friend is currently going through the process and she has failed her ILETS test for a 2nd time and feeling frustrated...which makes me worry about the test. I find the whole English test a joke when you are born in a English speaking country !

I have just got back from a 3 week trip from Aus and now the madness begins. I have just booked my ILETS test and I am starting to do my AHPRA paper work. My friend is currently going through the process and she has failed her ILETS test for a 2nd time and feeling frustrated...which makes me worry about the test. I find the whole English test a joke when you are born in a English speaking country !

Perhaps the joke is people who are from an English speaking country and can't pass the IELTS test.

What does it say about the English school system ?

My OH has registered to book for his English exams to try and get the extra 20 points. If he does another year work experience we will have the point difference we need but his going to try and score high in the tests. Can not believe its been 5 years of trying now. Previously I was an office manager and when I finally gained the right amount of experience they took my job off the lists. Now its the husbands try.

If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

I wouldn't know ...I am from Scotland :wink: I have recently spoken to a few Aussies that have struggled with the English test ...I don't think it's just the UK who has issues with it?

Have a read of this mate. IELTS has more to do with how you conform to their way testing, than actual English proficiency.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html#post1936733022

Have woken up at my nans this morning as our container left yesterday and the house completes today. After weeks of chaos and running around there is nothing left to do but go and get on the plane, it feels really strange :wub:

Good for you! Exciting times!

Give Gran our regards too.

B

Emptying of cupboards and drawers, packing two suitcases, last minute washing and taking apart furniture all ready for our removals. Bit tricky mind as some of the furniture isn't ours and a lot of stuff we aren't taking so I am going around the house sticking pink love heart post its on the stuff that needs to stay. Literally cannot wait for tomorrow evening when it has gone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last week working in London before going home for a week, before the big move. All packed up and ready to enjoy my last weekend here, then the last week at work. Emails sent to confirm Air BnB chalet in Adelaide when I land, and to pick up cards at the bank. First load of money sent across this morning too. All very real!

Last week working in London before going home for a week, before the big move. All packed up and ready to enjoy my last weekend here, then the last week at work. Emails sent to confirm Air BnB chalet in Adelaide when I land, and to pick up cards at the bank. First load of money sent across this morning too. All very real!

All the best kyliedonut. You've helped me lots on here. We're hoping to be in Adelaide next June!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am a trainee solicitor looking to emigrate to Australia. I am right at the beginning of the whole process and from the research I have done so far, it seems like an uphill struggle for solicitors. I am really determined though and willing to take the risk.

Over the last two days I have done a lot of research and emailed a few universities in regard to long distance studying. Hoping to apply for my skills assessment in the next month.

Archived