176 lodged December 2011

jacb

Good idea with the desktop thing - I'm watching it closely as well but I can't see it improving drastically..I guess it won't matter once we're over there.

It's still a shock to see how firmly the pound rests on the back foot...we stand to lose thousands as well...not ideal.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you add up what the visa application costs, the shipping, the travel and the loss on the £ to $ it is very scary, hope the new life is worth it as I dont think we could afford to come back. But less of the negativity nothing can annoy me today, except the kids fighting over a Playstation game, we got them a Playstation each but the fights continue. I wonder if they could stay with the in-laws and visit on school holidays:wink:

Quite right! No negativity on this, your special day!

Actually, we'll all make it work, whatever the rates, because we want to!

Sounds chaotic with the Playstation! :) We have no kids and it will just be myself going until OH comes in September, so I guess I'll have to go back to basics as far as living costs are concerned...I could relive my backpacker days! :)

Quite right! No negativity on this, your special day!

Actually, we'll all make it work, whatever the rates, because we want to!

Sounds chaotic with the Playstation! :) We have no kids and it will just be myself going until OH comes in September, so I guess I'll have to go back to basics as far as living costs are concerned...I could relive my backpacker days! :)

Same here, OH and kids are planning to move out in July after the schools break up as our oldest sits his standard Grades in May/June. I am hoping to be out there ASAP and get things organised for them coming out, can't wait.

It's now all official and you're going! it's an amazing feeling eh? :):)

If you haven't checked out flights already, have a look at Budgetair.com - I found the cheapest flights here...and don't forget your 40k baggage allowance from Singapore Airlines (not sure about any other carriers).

Any word from Millie? Hope she's ok..she seems to have a stack of work on her plate...Hopefully it will be sorted soon

Haven't looked at flights yet I imagine me and the Oh half will have a laptop stuck to us over the weekend. Assume Millie is gathering up all her info, glad that is finished with (always wanted to chuck all the old paperwork but OH wouldn't let me, thank God).

Hopefully we'll hear good news soon. I'm the same with paperwork - A nice side-effect of this whole process it the stack of important papers we have at the end of it. Very handy for touching down in a new city!

Keep us posted on your progress with flights etc...And if you hear of any recovery of the sterling.....holla! :)

Well guy's I've got a big cheesy grin, visa came through today the stress of the last week has been forgotten now we have the stress of selling up, finding a new job in Oz, Schools, Home and the move. OMG I think the stress will be worse but atleast i've got the bit of paper that says you can go to Oz, Yipeeeeee:biggrin:

Congratulations Derham!!!! That's brilliant! There is lots and lots and lots for you to do now. The planning and organising hasn't been too stressful so far but we don't have kids so it's a bit more straightforward. I'm sure you will be fine and you'll be on a plan to Oz before you know it. :biggrin:

Can I just ask you guys if you're concerned about the strength of the Aussie dollar at all? I know it's not the topic of this thread but just wondering if it's a worry or not?

Dx

We're not overly worried about the dollar at the moment as we're planning to leave most of our money in the UK and hope we get jobs really quickly in Australia (fingers, toes and everything crossed!) I'm a bit more worried about the articles I've read predicting that the economy is generally slowing and that some Aussies are losing their jobs. I'd hate to have spent all this time organising and getting so excited for us to arrive and struggle to get work! I'm just putting it out of my head at the moment though and hopefully everything will be ok when we arrive.

We're not overly worried about the dollar at the moment as we're planning to leave most of our money in the UK and hope we get jobs really quickly in Australia (fingers, toes and everything crossed!) I'm a bit more worried about the articles I've read predicting that the economy is generally slowing and that some Aussies are losing their jobs. I'd hate to have spent all this time organising and getting so excited for us to arrive and struggle to get work! I'm just putting it out of my head at the moment though and hopefully everything will be ok when we arrive.

Very good point about not taking too much over...I might look into that for us, at least in the short term and see what the exchange rate does...I'll have to transfer my money eventually!

I reckon the rest of the world hopes Australia will fall into recession - and it won't happen..it is the lucky country after all...! :)

Long may that continue! x

The pound is bound to improve against the Aussie dollar at some point. We have only bought and sold our flat within the last 5 years so we don't have nearly enough revenue from that to buy a house in Oz at the moment anyway so we'll need to work for a good couple of years to save some dollars to add to the pounds. We'll just be sticking to the rental market but at least it'll hopefully give us a good taste of several areas before deciding where to hopefully buy in the future.

It really is a lucky country and I really think we will all be fine.

Well guy's I've got a big cheesy grin, visa came through today the stress of the last week has been forgotten now we have the stress of selling up, finding a new job in Oz, Schools, Home and the move. OMG I think the stress will be worse but atleast i've got the bit of paper that says you can go to Oz, Yipeeeeee:biggrin:

Derham!!! My IELTS study partner, congrats, mate!!! :biglaugh:

Guest Anxiety

Is this normal? We lodged our 176 visa application on the 3rd of January and no CO allocation till now? Is something wrong or we are just being unlucky?

Did anyone lodge around that date and didn't get a CO allocation (late December, early January)?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Ann

Guest garyheidi7

Hi Derham, big congratulations to you, bet your over the moon, and probably still cant believe you've finally got your visa! so pleased for you. cant wait for our day to come.

Hi there, well done on your visa first of all...I see you did it all yourself.....Ive just had a few hours sitting with the 1276 form in rediness for applying for the 176 visa, they seem to be coming through quickly....a few things on the form Im not sure about

keeps asking for Identity number - does this mean National Insurance numbers?

thanks for your help x

Hi 176 visa Dec gang - really pleased to see so many CO's allocated and visa's coming through :-)

Wanted to pick your brains if I may...we lodged our 176 last Sunday and my OH is filling out the form 80 as I type (what a looooong form that it!). My questions is - do I also have to fill one out even though i'm not the main visa applicant? Also did any of you fill out the form 1221?

Emma

Hi 176 visa Dec gang - really pleased to see so many CO's allocated and visa's coming through :-)

Wanted to pick your brains if I may...we lodged our 176 last Sunday and my OH is filling out the form 80 as I type (what a looooong form that it!). My questions is - do I also have to fill one out even though i'm not the main visa applicant? Also did any of you fill out the form 1221?

Emma

Hiya :)

yes, we were advised that both of us needed to complete 80...it's hassling I know!

Dx

Emma

Yes Emma!! All applicants Primary and Secondary (above 18 Years) details are to be provided for the last 10 years of stay. The start and end date may not be exact can be very close (in case you do not have exact dates) but there should not be any gaps in the data you provide.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers !!

Ash

YEY! I already have a Case Officer! I will take the medical exam ASAP!! :)

Great News mjcgito!! congrats so its not far away for you:)

Cheers !!

Ash

Hi there, well done on your visa first of all...I see you did it all yourself.....Ive just had a few hours sitting with the 1276 form in rediness for applying for the 176 visa, they seem to be coming through quickly....a few things on the form Im not sure about

thanks for your help x

Hi Shazb,

Yes it is National Insurance Number, similar for Social Security Number in US and other contries, issued to individual citizens for their identification by the government.

Hope this info helps and clarifies your queries!!

Cheers!!

Ash

thanks for your help x

I used a agent, dont think it would have been as quick if I did it myself.

Archived