Leaving because of racism experience

Guest jininiel

Guest The Pom Queen
Dream on lah!:laugh::biggrin::wink:,jeeeeez i wish people would just stop replying to me so i can go to bed:wideeyed:,one more smoke,one tumbler of wine:no:,and im off!:policeman:

What time is it there pabs, hope you are not working tomorrow:SLEEP::SLEEP:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I and nobody else on this thread would condone racism i dont think,but opinions are bound to be given,and just because some are giving their reasons why what happened to the OP "might" have been misconstrued,doesnt mean they arent sympathetic to her

Exactly. Thankyou.

YES!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!

this doesn't make being on the receiving end suddenly OK though.

I know mate,ive been there in my own parochial way,like everybody else from my city.(as explained)

Tell yer what tho,all it does is make yer more defiant,more clannish,and more determined to hold yer head up even higher than before,and i "hope" the OP does the same,but she'l do whats best for her kids,and that i understand:notworthy:

Toodle pip,chocks away an all that...........:SLEEP::wubclub:

On another note, it could be equally damaging to say this to a white person who might have to wear a wig because going through chemotherapy, or have lost their hair through other reasons and are already conscious of the fact that they have to wear a wig.

I witnessed this very conversation the other day at the local Aquatic Centre where a girl was wearing a scarf over a bald head. She was asked about this and had a very friendly conversation with the questioner, who was very sympathetic and concerned, about the treatment she was going through.

The question was asked out of genuine interest and concern and responded to accordingly.

Maybe we are just a more friendly bunch here in Tasmania than wherever you live.

It just shows complete ignorance and quite simply total lack of manners

It may have been ignorance, it may have been clumsy, it may not have conformed to your definition of manners...but I doubt that it was racist. That is the difference.

Guest The Pom Queen
Fat chance!2 and half weeks since last graft and counting:rolleyes:,ah well,gotta get better eh kate??!!!:no::laugh:

Let's hope so Pabs:hug:

Well im only going on a reccie and those ive met in London,havnt met as many as you it goes without saying,but the people i met over there were very straight to the point,and i DO think theres a fine line between being straight or tactless,i guess only the person on the receiving end can decide if they think its malicious or tactless cant they?because there is a big difference in the two isnt there.

But i can only speak about them as ive found them cant i,all the ones i met were aces,im 100% their not ALL like that,and i'l say if so

Some of the (younger?) ones you might meet in London play up to the 'Bazza Mackenzie/Hoges/Crocodile Dundee' image & their accent can seem outlandish 'out of context' - dressed in AFL/NRL tops/shorts/thongs (flipflops). I seem to recall going into 'The Prince of Tek'?? pub in Earls Court late one night seeing it awash in beer & VB cans & noise that would drown out a 747 taking off. in the Downunder bar at Covent Garden can remember they were all drinking pints of 'Snakebite' which (I think?) is often not served in pubs now????

I have to confess to playing up on the Australian angle whilst here in the UK. I am Australian. I can be blunt and lack tact (according to my boss anyway). The two are not necessarily related, however it's been brilliant to have a ready-to-go excuse for my rudeness :)

I'll have to play up on the English accent (yes I've acquired one in my 9 years) once back in Melbourne and blame it on my time in England :)

Do you think maybe by saying that Australian's are all blunt speaking that we might ourselves be indulging in some racial/social stereotyping that could be construed as an 'ism' ?

I have to confess to playing up on the Australian angle whilst here in the UK. I am Australian. I can be blunt and lack tact (according to my boss anyway). The two are not necessarily related, however it's been brilliant to have a ready-to-go excuse for my rudeness :)

I'll have to play up on the English accent (yes I've acquired one in my 9 years) once back in Melbourne and blame it on my time in England :)

Do you think maybe by saying that Australian's are all blunt speaking that we might ourselves be indulging in some racial/social stereotyping that could be construed as an 'ism' ?

:yes:I think so.

TBH it seems to be a cultural sterotype of Australians as viewed by people who haven't lived in Australia. Along with the notion of Aussie blokes as anti establishment larrikins. My experience is quite the opposite. Aussies seem quite reserved and polite, certainly more accepting of authority than the Brits!

Arrghh sorry - the Satchdog knows it's walk time.

I think (as both an Aussie and a longtime resident of the UK) that you can't describe an entire culture/race in one go.

There will be people who speak bluntly (and yes I've encountered more of them in Australia, but I've encountered more rudeness & snobbery in the UK)

I think it's difficult to know if Australians en-masse accept authority more. My gut feeling is that they are more accepting of authority, but are also happy to complain about it :)

Guest guest57588
:yes:I think so.

TBH it seems to be a cultural sterotype of Australians as viewed by people who haven't lived in Australia. Along with the notion of Aussie blokes as anti establishment larrikins. My experience is quite the opposite. Aussies seem quite reserved and polite, certainly more accepting of authority than the Brits!

A bit draw for a lot of us moving to Aus is the view of it as an ordered and largely law-abiding country. That's probably something of an illusion and is dependent on where you live in Australia etc, but the sense I've always had in the time I've been here is that we are a nation who pretty much follow the rules and do as we're told. There's good and bad side-effects of that I suppose. :idea:

I think you put it well Tradie Hero, I think (personal opinion only) Aussies are happy to discuss politics and disagree about decisions and policies, but if it's the law, it's the law.

Years ago (in Oz) there was a big question about whether Australia actually has it's own cultural identity, lots of people didn't think so, but I think it most certainly did and does.

A bit draw for a lot of us moving to Aus is the view of it as an ordered and largely law-abiding country. That's probably something of an illusion and is dependent on where you live in Australia etc, but the sense I've always had in the time I've been here is that we are a nation who pretty much follow the rules and do as we're told. There's good and bad side-effects of that I suppose. :idea:

Thats me snookered then,do they make allowances for bolshie scousers who HAVE to challenge authority?!:laugh:

Guest guest37336
You're expected to challenge and complain Pabs, just still obey :P

:no::no::no::no:

Not in a million years my friend.:shocked::policeman:

Still can't find that Che Guevara smilie.:no::biglaugh:

Yeah mate, they become union leaders!

There is a fair few isnt there:laugh:,tbh altho i dont really like stereotyping.... there IS a different mindset amongst the workers once you start working for companies that are as little as 15/20 miles away from Lpool,ive seen it first hand.

They just seem more accepting of following the laws laid down by their boss,whether they are fair "or not",therein lies my problem,if its wrong i cant help but argue about it,if i dont i feel like im letting my principles down,its caused me to walk off dozens of jobs over the yrs:rolleyes:

Guest guest57588
Thats me snookered then,do they make allowances for bolshie scousers who HAVE to challenge authority?!:laugh:

You'll be fine Pabs, Harpo and I will vouch for you!. It's the staying up until 2 a.m. to watch the football that's gonna hurt!

You'll be fine Pabs, Harpo and I will vouch for you!. It's the staying up until 2 a.m. to watch the football that's gonna hurt!

Is that a GOOD thing tradie?!:wideeyed::laugh::wink:

I know about the footy mate! watched chelsea v barca at 4 am on my validation trip:goofy:

Archived